Custom Bonecrusher repaint/mod

Jin Saotome

Here's the first repaint of the movie figs I'll be doing:

Bonecrusher_002.jpg

Tons more pics---------> http://www.angelfire.com/mech/jinsaotome/J...onecrusher.html

pretty cool man. bonecrusher IMO is the worst figure they came out with, what else is in your repaint plan? are you using oneshot paint or testors or............?

Testors, they have so many military colors! I have a Jazz, Scorponok, Blackout, and Starscream right now.

Testors, they have so many military colors! I have a Jazz, Scorponok, Blackout, and Starscream right now.

would love to see a repaint of black out and jazz as well as starscream. great work!

Awesome; you make a good toy look even better! Sometimes a lot of details in the molds are overlooked bc of a lack of paint apps; it's nice to see all those little details. :)

that looks awsome.

great job, and can you tell us how you did it?

Gotta click the link for that!

that looks awsome.

I did, but how was the paint applied and in what order. Also how to you keep it looking good for the transformations.Or does the paint hold up that well?

that looks awsome.

I did, but how was the paint applied and in what order. Also how to you keep it looking good for the transformations.Or does the paint hold up that well?

Hmmmm, I really wasn't paying attention when I painted him, at least not the steps. Do a wetter-than-drybrush paint wipe with the new lighter tan color. This leaves a good surface of the light tan while leaving the darker plastic color in the cracks still. After that, wash the cracks with the dark gray and outline doors, panels, etc. Go back over with more tan, drybrush this time to pick up details. Now blackline particular sections like main joints, the face, etc. Paint on the copper, silver-gray sections, do a little gray wash around them or some blackline. Paint the tires dark gray, wash with black. Totally transforming him into robot mode, do some VERY light drybrushing with gunmetal or silver mixed with gray to show 'wear on the robot parts. Now start the detailing, all the lights, eyes, smaller sections of armor using more tan, then go back and drybrush tan in the places where he still needs a solid color. Do windows last. Light blue base, then mix some white in with the same blue and do a smaller square, then more white in the blue and a smaller square within that one. Ends up looking like a multi-tone window.

I can understand why Hasbro doesn't do paint washes or aint wipes with their TFs. I mean it would take the factory workers waaaay longer to fill in the little panel lines and try to add any highlights to the figures. You'd have to get inbetween all those moving pieces! I was surprised they airbrushed anything on Starscream and don't know why they bothered to blacken up Blackout with the paint wipe. Least they're trying tho.

that looks awsome.

Hmmmm, I really wasn't paying attention when I painted him, at least not the steps. Do a wetter-than-drybrush paint wipe with the new lighter tan color. This leaves a good surface of the light tan while leaving the darker plastic color in the cracks still. After that, wash the cracks with the dark gray and outline doors, panels, etc. Go back over with more tan, drybrush this time to pick up details. Now blackline particular sections like main joints, the face, etc. Paint on the copper, silver-gray sections, do a little gray wash around them or some blackline. Paint the tires dark gray, wash with black. Totally transforming him into robot mode, do some VERY light drybrushing with gunmetal or silver mixed with gray to show 'wear on the robot parts. Now start the detailing, all the lights, eyes, smaller sections of armor using more tan, then go back and drybrush tan in the places where he still needs a solid color. Do windows last. Light blue base, then mix some white in with the same blue and do a smaller square, then more white in the blue and a smaller square within that one. Ends up looking like a multi-tone window.

Sorry to be a noob to painting but can you explain your definitions?

wetter-than-drybrush paint wipe?

wash the cracks ?

drybrush this time to pick up details?

gray wash around them?

blackline. Paint the tires?

I am very interested in maybe taking this up as a small hobby. Its like...better then models except you can play with them :)

And you forgot to answer my other question...how does the new paint apps effect the transformation sequences and what kind of drying time should one expect to do this to keep it looking great. ( i always got antsy when painting models and they never looked right :( )