Beast Wars

Sarge8170

With the Transformers move coming out everyone has been talking about G1 and all their childhood memories associated with it and Ive gotten pretty nostalgic as well. The only difference for me is I didn't grow with G1 (Im only 20 years old), what got me into Transformers was Beast Wars. I still have the first Transformer I ever baught, the Fuzor Airhammer, and I just purchased the whole series on DVD. The thing is that whenever I look for BW sites or general info Ive noticed quite a bit of disdain (and thats putting it nicely) for my beloved BW among the Transformers community, and I can't figure out why. It was a good show, pretty cutting edge animation for the time, with pretty involved stories. The toys were pretty cool, although you could say sometimes they could have been a little better thought out. In Japan the series kept going with BW 2 and BW Neo, each with another round of toys that never made it to US shelves. I know if it weren't for BW I probably wouldn't have ever discovered Transformers, and since then Ive collected every series. I was just wondering why everyone seems to hate it so much. There has to be others like me, doesen't there?

With the Transformers move coming out everyone has been talking about G1 and all their childhood memories associated with it and Ive gotten pretty nostalgic as well. The only difference for me is I didn't grow with G1 (Im only 20 years old), what got me into Transformers was Beast Wars. I still have the first Transformer I ever baught, the Fuzor Airhammer, and I just purchased the whole series on DVD. The thing is that whenever I look for BW sites or general info Ive noticed quite a bit of disdain (and thats putting it nicely) for my beloved BW among the Transformers community, and I can't figure out why. It was a good show, pretty cutting edge animation for the time, with pretty involved stories. The toys were pretty cool, although you could say sometimes they could have been a little better thought out. In Japan the series kept going with BW 2 and BW Neo, each with another round of toys that never made it to US shelves. I know if it weren't for BW I probably wouldn't have ever discovered Transformers, and since then Ive collected every series. I was just wondering why everyone seems to hate it so much. There has to be others like me, doesen't there?

i never got into beast wars or that energon or whatever. seeing optimus as a monkey just made sick........ i remember wondering wtf made this happen. however a g1 toy i remember was brought back into the beast wars series ( eggleo ) or so im told, i would LOVE to own that figure again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! actually, let me correct myself, it wasnt a g1 - i bought him back when i was a child in the g1 years. im 31 this year.

i remember the beastwars cartoon, i loved the graffics ( 3d like wasnt it ) and i only watched 1. just couldnt get into it.

Yup BW is up there all right but like all things there will always be those who simply won't like it because its not g1... That or they can't get past the animal looks for them all... Kinda silly I know but thats the way it is

Toon wise, BW cant be beat. But right now it is G1's time. Once BW is 20 years old, you may start to see way more interest. Just got to let the kids that watched BW grow up a bit more. Most of us G1 guys are in our late 20's and early 30's (33 myself).

Beast wars was great… all the real G1 lovers (such as myself) thought it was an awsome addition to the story as it tied in with G1 towards the transmetal series I.E. my favorite beast wars seasons! I only bought the transmetal figs cause they were so… you know so… hmm… awesome!!!!… for lack of a better term.

I grew up with beast wars (though I did watch g1 as a kid... or so I'm told by my dad. All I truly remember is the theme song) and got more into g1 because of the episode where they go into the ark. I felt like there was a whole backstory I was missing so I rented some tapes from the local video store. I watched the movie and loved it and then I watched a random episode from season 1 or 2 "Heavy Metal War". I was confused as to why Ironhide was dead then alive. It didn't take me long to get acquainted with the tons of new characters (beast wars only had a dozen or so) and I really fell in love with g1. For someone who definitely grew up more on beast wars I actually like g1 more, though beast wars was still really awesome. I probably would have gotten into transformers with or without beast wars, but I don't know how well the franchise would be without it.

Personally I think the characters in beast wars don't have the same appeal that g1 characters have. I really wouldn't mind having beast wars characters in a movie sequel or a future cartoon, the only problem is that however damn good bw was, it was one of the most gimmicky. Most of the names wouldn't make sense with vehicle alt modes, and I don't think anyone wants to watch a live action movie with animal alt modes, it would be extremely lame.

I still think the beast wars toy line was far superior than any other toy line though, as a whole. We got tons of great figures and none of them were like wheelie status if you know what I mean. Can't really say that for any other line except classics (which is too small) and cybertron. And now maybe the movie line though that one is just as controversial as beast wars was.

I think most fans feel a more nostalgic connection to G1 because that's all they had (so to speak). By the time Beast Wars came out (and especially the Armada Trilogy) kids really didn't have such a great connection to toys and cartoons. Back in the 80s, we had well, toys and cartoons. In the 90s and today, we also have the internet and video games, ipods, etc. Much more "competition" which means less "nostalgia".

The other thing is that Beast Wars they were CYBORGS. Not even so much the "TRUK VS MUNKY" arguments, I think people were put off by a Transformer that changed from one "living" thing to another. Even the beast bots of G1 were unrealistic looking. They looked like ROBOT animals not, well ACTUAL animals.

I think the Animorphs crap didn't help as it came out at roughly the same time.

Personally, I think Beast Wars had the best cartoon series. The toyline? Hmm, It's up there along with Classics.

First off,if it wasn't for Beast Wars we wouldn't be getting this movie.....BW reignited the TF mythos, come on G2 was pretty lame and only the toys got really good at the end(except colors).The story was great and had a steady build up from the beginning....I just recently watched the whole series from beginning to end again and it is a beautifully woven tapestry from start to finish(it actually makes me more excited about this movie).As far as some episodes go,just watch Other Victories,The agenda 1,2,3, Dark Designs,CODE OF A HERO just to name a few....As far as memeorable characters,I think Primal,Dinobot and all the maximal crew are very memorable characters....I'm 33 years old and will always love G1 but I think that BW Megatron is an absolute Iconic character....Sadly though after BW was finished the rest SUCKED IMO(story wise) Beast Machines was a major let down because they changed directions and writers.The original concept for BM(or Bowel Movement as I use to refer to it)Was Beast Riders where it was Primal and the gang Fighting Dragon Megatron and The Hordes of Unicron in deep space....I would have LOVED to seen how that one played out but Bob Forward and Larry Ditillo didn't get to see that idea come to fruition....So take this from a die hard G1 purist....I did say BW sucked at first but I got into it pretty quick....besides BW was able to patch huge continuity holes in G1 and actually make the original series seem to flow together a lot better....

beast wars ruled, no if ands or buts aboot it!! it got me into tranformers all over again!! and so far sarge, it looks like the people from this board knows where its at, as most of us give big props to BW!!

I wasnt really talkig about this board, Ive never really seen anything about BW here, positive or negative. It seems what I was seeing was just a few loudmouths on other sites who don't really like anything besides hating things.

Because alot of Tf fans can't see past G1. If it's not G1, or G1-like, it's evil and must be burned. I honestly can't see why, I think BW was amazing! But that's the way of alot of "hardcore" fanboys.. not all, but the ones that think that G1 is the end all of Tf's. I like it all, or should I say, LOVE it all (just not Armada... wanted to kill the children. lol)!

They're closeminded, pretty much. It was a totally different concept, they couldn't wrap their minds around it, and didn't TRY to get into it.... hope that helps, or answers part of your question. :)

i bought seasons 2 & 3 off of deepdiscount.com because of the 20% off sale, can't wait to rewatch them.

they had pretty good writing for the most part (except for random episodes here & there), much better than anything that has been made since then. armada, energon, cybertron all garbage i can't sit through 5 minutes of the horrendous dialogue. it makes me want to stick a sharp pencil right into my eardrums.

my favorite character was inferno, i must protect the queen!!!!!!!!!

OK, BW from someone who hates it...First off it was creepy. Take Optimus for example, a monkey, covered in fur, transforming into a metal robot, was just disgusting. That right there was enough to completely turn me off it. Bioforms with skin and hair pulling apart and changing into robots was just plain gross. Second, I hated the stories. While everyone says they loved the writing and stories, I just couldn't get into them at all (Waspinator and Inferno, along with rattrap were the worst characters ever, for me. Annoying to no end. Megatron was totally generic bad guy with delusions of grandeur.). There wasn't anything I liked, character wise or story wise. Tying it to G1 was another thing that totally turned me off of it. I just couldn't, and still can't, find anything worthwhile in the BW/BM lines.

beast machines was different and pretty crappy so please don't lump it in with beast wars. as for tying it into g1 i thought it worked very well.

you were grossed out? that i do not understand.

BW and BM are both equally craptastic, so they get lumped as one in my book.

It creeps me out to no end that a monkey/t-rex/whatever with skin and fur pulls itself apart and changes into a robot. Just really disturbing.

beast machines was different and pretty crappy so please don't lump it in with beast wars. as for tying it into g1 i thought it worked very well.

you were grossed out? that i do not understand.

BW and BM are both equally craptastic, so they get lumped as one in my book.

It creeps me out to no end that a monkey/t-rex/whatever with skin and fur pulls itself apart and changes into a robot. Just really disturbing.

That's what I was saying. Some people were turned off by the cyborg aspects.

And yeah some of the characters were kinda annoying, but the story WAS meant for kids (which is why they had annoying characters!).

As for the stories, are you comparing?

(Waspinator and Inferno, along with rattrap were the worst characters ever, for me. Annoying to no end.

More annoying than wheelie, blurr, warpath, etc.? At least the characters in bw had reasoning behind their quirks, and rattrap had a great story going w/ dinobot.

Megatron was totally generic bad guy with delusions of grandeur.

Uh, you want a generic bad guy, try g1 megs; at least bw megs spoke intelligently (I can think of a dozen or more lines that showed it), unlike g1 megs w/ his half-witted banter..and bw megs' plans actually worked.

(Waspinator and Inferno, along with rattrap were the worst characters ever, for me. Annoying to no end.

More annoying than wheelie, blurr, warpath, etc.? At least the characters in bw had reasoning behind their quirks, and rattrap had a great story going w/ dinobot.

Uh, you want a generic bad guy, try g1 megs; at least bw megs spoke intelligently (I can think of a dozen or more lines that showed it), unlike g1 megs w/ his half-witted banter..and bw megs' plans actually worked.

See that's what I'm wondering. Is he doing a comparison to G1? I don't think so. I think he's just talking the characters themselves.

See that's what I'm wondering. Is he doing a comparison to G1? I don't think so. I think he's just talking the characters themselves.

Eh, I agree and disagree; he's a g1 fan and accepts nothing else, so it's only appropriate to compare the two here, imo (esp. given the traits he ascribes to bw megs being those more aptly attributed to g1 megs, g1 fan or not).

Blah Blah Blah. Isn't it comforting that we're NEVER going to agree on anything TF related other than our dislike for each other Destro :P