YoJoe featuring "First Looks" at 25th Anniversary Figures!

General_Hawk

Hmmm.

I find myself hoping that they handle this line like Star Wars, reissuing the same figure again down the road with slight improvements, because at this point it seems like every figure I've seen needs alot of improvement.

Agree 95%!

I didn't say 100% because I guess some of the figures don't need improvements. And I don't think Hasbro should or will go back to re-doing/upgrading all of these. But you can bet they will do it for at least some of the main guys.

Star Wars collectors always hope for the "definitive" versions of certain characters. I'd say they are only now getting what they want in some cases. And they've been waiting since 1995 (or 1977)!

I'm not talking about minor details(Flints gloves, sandals whatever). The figure design itself needs improvements. Deeper hip sockets, narrowing down the crotch, maybe doing away with the double-jointed knee and going with ball-socket knees, fleshing out the heads(they look nice from the front, not so good from the sides), decrease the length of the torso overall. It took them years to hash out the problems with the new sculpts(more or less), hopefully it won't take as long with these.

That's the main issue IMO: ball-socket knees. They sell these as the "most articulated gijoes ever" and while that is half-true, I don't see why only the females get the knee ball joint and all the males have that stupid double knee joint. Actually, the double knee joint isn't bad in itself... problem is, it won't allow for "leg crossing", so to say. Say, Han Solo can only "cross his legs" like he does in the Cantina because Hasbro gave ball-jointed knees to his VOTC incarnation.

Yes... these things still need work. But damn, aren't they kickass anyway.

Now, for something slightly off-topic. I've been thinking about some of the upcoming figures (or figures that we know will get made) and I realized that some characters may look like total shite if they are given the chest joint that all of the figures we've seen so far have. On Cobra Commander, Hasbro was able to conceal the joint by using one of his two "belts". And I think it actually works. Now, what about, say, the Crimson Guard? At first glance, I'm thinking the chest joint would ruin the aesthetics of it. On most of the figures we've seen so far, webgear helps to conceal this joint. It makes the figures look "whole". On Gung Ho, it's his jacket. On Scarlett, the Baroness and Destro, they didn't have any problems. But I can't see a Crimson Guard having that chest joint without ruining his looks. SO, how would YOU conceal that joint on a character like the Crimson Guard?

Does any of this make sense?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually heard that they are already planning to release figures again with improvement. Duke with a Backpack and Cobra Officer with a AK were mentioned. This was in an interview with a guy that works on the Joe line that was in the Collectors Club newsletter or something. I don't have access to it, so I can't confirm it.

I actually heard that they are already planning to release figures again with improvement. Duke with a Backpack and Cobra Officer with a AK were mentioned. This was in an interview with a guy that works on the Joe line that was in the Collectors Club newsletter or something. I don't have access to it, so I can't confirm it.

Yeah

It goes along with my long standing opinion that Hasbro is going to "do like Star Wars" with GI Joe in that we'll see new figures of characters that are just different enough to justify (to some fans anyway) another purchase. I'd all but bet that if we saw a Tiger Force 5 pack with Flint, he'd get the retooled lower arms, just as we'll likely see a repack or repaint of the Officer with the AK.

Yeah

It goes along with my long standing opinion that Hasbro is going to "do like Star Wars" with GI Joe in that we'll see new figures of characters that are just different enough to justify (to some fans anyway) another purchase. I'd all but bet that if we saw a Tiger Force 5 pack with Flint, he'd get the retooled lower arms, just as we'll likely see a repack or repaint of the Officer with the AK.

That's one of the things that actually bothered me about Star Wars, but to be honest, if they can do better with some of the GI Joe figures, that'll be fine by me. It certainly wasn't the pursuit of the "perfect version" of a character that bothered me, but I couldn't justify being a completist - I'd just end up going insane with all the versions.

Before I'd ever want to see the same old characters (we know the ones) done over and over again and again, in all their multiple variations, be it Tiger Force, Night Force, Star Brigade or what have you....I'd rather see some OTHER characters, in their original appearance, make it into production first and it's a LONG list.

If we were to get ANOTHER Flint before then, in Tiger Force colors and fixed of all the "errors" the first one had, I'd be kind of upset actually.

Proper sleeves and gloves, like he SHOULD of had the first time out of the gate, like here...

flintse4.png

would have been better, than getting it fixed later, but then repainted in TF colors (which I never liked anyway) Yellow tiger strips on SOLDIERS?? #yuk@#

If we were to get ANOTHER Flint before then, in Tiger Force colors and fixed of all the "errors" the first one had, I'd be kind of upset actually.

Proper sleeves and gloves, like he SHOULD of had the first time out of the gate, like here...

flintse4.png

would have been better, than getting it fixed later, but then repainted in TF colors (which I never liked anyway) Yellow tiger strips on SOLDIERS?? #yuk@#

You and me both. To be honest, if they're going to do a proper Flint it should be a completely new mold from scratch, especially the face sculpt (which just looks weird - they should be able to make it look exactly like the cartoon).

Yeah, I'm ready for some "B-players" to get some attention.

Early on (in the 80's) during the heydays of ARAH...I think I bought more vehicles for the FIGURES than I did for the vehicle themselves, and back then, they sure as hell didn't slap another Duke or Cobra Commander variant in with them, to lure us in for a purchase.

Thunder, Clutch, Heavy Metal, Slipstream and so on! GREAT figures! May not have received much attention in the comics or cartoons, but they looked DAMN COOL to me.

It should be pretty obvious to everyone by now, that I'm attracted to what I think LOOKS cool or looks good, and have no predisposed attraction to a familiar NAME or specific character only. Look at what recently happened to me, with Sigma Six! ^_^

Hated the LOOKS of the damn things, and all of a sudden I pass the toy section in KROGERS (of all places) and spy a Grand Slam figure on the botton shelf, and pick it up to take a look at what all the Olive Drab & Black clothing on a S6 figure was, and thought it LOOKED pretty darn cool.

It stayed on my mind, and I looked it up online here and at some other sites that had reviews on it, and 2 days later I went BACK and bought it. Now I'm considering even more purchases in the future on these newer ones that look MORE military.

If it looks cool (to me that is) then I'll probably want it. Look at all those damn DUKES they made for it though? They had to rely on a NAME instead of just a cool looking figure. I'm surprised they're finally bringing in some B players and even NEW players in the line, but it's working on me, that's for sure. :)

It took GRAND SLAM to hook me. Of course, they could have called him GRUNT or BIG HUNK'A JOE or something, and I would have still bought him.

Make a cool looking Grand Slam for the 25th line and I'll buy him too! #US1#

This is the most whacked out, surreal "debate" I've ever witnessed - and I use to judge high school debate tournaments.

Wow fellas...wow.

What's so whacked out about it? You don't remember debates about other aspects of Joe toy minutia like I dunno. . .laser rifles, laser cannons, jet packs, the windshield on the HISS, STUN cockpits, Siegie uniforms, Viper faceplates, Viper goggles, Frag-Viper cestas, neon paint jobs, action attack, spring-loaded missles, etc. etc. ????

Nooo. . .course not. This is just so different and "whacked out" and "surreal". OMG. :rolleyes: @loll@

-PJ

This isn't a debate. This is just you trying to "one up" or "get the better" of, well, anyone else. This time it just happens to be VH.

Can you take it to PMs cause this is getting boring (and annoying).

I'm not talking about minor details(Flints gloves, sandals whatever). The figure design itself needs improvements. Deeper hip sockets, narrowing down the crotch, maybe doing away with the double-jointed knee and going with ball-socket knees, fleshing out the heads(they look nice from the front, not so good from the sides), decrease the length of the torso overall. It took them years to hash out the problems with the new sculpts(more or less), hopefully it won't take as long with these.

That's the main issue IMO: ball-socket knees. They sell these as the "most articulated gijoes ever" and while that is half-true, I don't see why only the females get the knee ball joint and all the males have that stupid double knee joint. Actually, the double knee joint isn't bad in itself... problem is, it won't allow for "leg crossing", so to say. Say, Han Solo can only "cross his legs" like he does in the Cantina because Hasbro gave ball-jointed knees to his VOTC incarnation.

Yes... these things still need work. But damn, aren't they kickass anyway.

Now, for something slightly off-topic. I've been thinking about some of the upcoming figures (or figures that we know will get made) and I realized that some characters may look like total shite if they are given the chest joint that all of the figures we've seen so far have. On Cobra Commander, Hasbro was able to conceal the joint by using one of his two "belts". And I think it actually works. Now, what about, say, the Crimson Guard? At first glance, I'm thinking the chest joint would ruin the aesthetics of it. On most of the figures we've seen so far, webgear helps to conceal this joint. It makes the figures look "whole". On Gung Ho, it's his jacket. On Scarlett, the Baroness and Destro, they didn't have any problems. But I can't see a Crimson Guard having that chest joint without ruining his looks. SO, how would YOU conceal that joint on a character like the Crimson Guard?

Does any of this make sense?

These are the kind of figures that I think would be best to wait until a bunch of us get them in hand and can "play" with them some. I'm not knocking General Hawk's reviews (for example), just that these are significantly different from what we've had before.

Not only that, there are, from what we can see in the pics, some obvious flaws. But are they really such bad flaws? Only WE can say. And I think if enough of us say so and tell Hasbro those flaws might be fixed. It's happened before.

As for hiding the joints on the CG (or ANY character) I don't think it's possible short of webgear of some kind. I think that's part of the reason some came with backpacks and some didn't. The best thing might be what they did with RAH Outback and again with the Cobra Trooper/Officer. It seems kinda weird that a figure like Gung Ho or the Crimson Guard even WEARS a backpack since they don't really appear to be wearing anything for it.

Hmmm.

I don't think you really have to "hide" the joints on the figures, just design the figure so that the joint doesn't stick out to much and looks like its apart of the figure. They did it pretty well with most of the figures seen so far(there are some things that do stand out though).

As for the Crimson Guard, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they use Cobra Comander's mold with a different head.

I agree that they should concentrate on new figures, but you just know that they are going to do repaints and reissues sooner or later. So instead of just a straight reissue with different paint, why not fix some of the problems with them? While it would be great to have some of the "B players", I think Hasbro would release another Duke versus a Headhunter simply because of recognition.

While it would be great to have some of the "B players", I think Hasbro would release another Duke versus a Headhunter simply because of recognition.

Oh, I don't even think it's a matter of "thinking" Hasbro would release ANOTHER Duke (or A-player) before they'd ever get around to releasing a Headhunter, Headhunter Stormtrooper or other such minor a player, in the grand mythos of G.I.Joe from the RAH years.

It's a given that they WILL! :(

I don't know exactly how or why this practice came about, and if it's just Hasbro assuming things, in the effort to put out what they THINK we want or prefer, or if the collectors are kinda LEADING Hasbro in this direction or WHAT it is, that dictates the practice, but it seems to indicate they're afraid to move beyond the key players from the comics and cartoons, thinking sales won't justify it? <_<

ARAH was so cool to me, for the very reason of it having so MANY individual unique characters, to build armies or platoons with, on BOTH sides of the battle forces of good and evil, with Cobra having MORE no-named "troop" members to build upon, and Joe had all the characterization in their ranks of ego eccentric die hard patriots and FREEDOM fighters, that couldn't function properly in a strict military setting, and instead were picked up by this highly secretive operation, were their individuality could flourish, and be used to fight COBRA, another band of wildly ego eccentric nutjobs. What FUN!!!

I couldn't WAIT for the next individual crazy Cobra baddie to come out, to get just ONE of, or another Cobra specialty/ranks trooper figure, to get TEN of, and then of course the next different Joe character, with PERSONALITY and "coolness" to add to the Joe team. If I was trying to piece together some winter ops Joes, or desert ops, night ops, jungle ops you name it, each year added just a few MORE members to each of the ranks for it, and it kept growing and growing. If Hasbro released only 3 or 4 individual NEW Cobra team leaders and maybe 4 new troops, that could typical add 40-45 new Cobra figures to my collection (the 4 team leaders and 10 each of the 4 new troopers).

No matter how MANY new named Joe team characters Hasbro put out for the RAH line each year (back then) they still paled in comparison to the Cobra army I had going, and was still a pretty small and tight group comparatively. Those A-player redo's and repeats and retools and wardrobe change only releases, kinda disappointed me even back then.

It's even WORSE now. @grumpy@

I realize I probably go at this hobby in an entirely DIFFERENT perspective than most collectors, as most collectors grew up in the era, and were MORE immersed in the stories about these characters, be it thru the cartoons or comics, which fostered "favorites" based off of that, more so than the mere appearance of the action figure toy itself, which usually was my deciding factor, as an adult collecting action figures? @lol@

I'd still like to see this variety though. I think the rule of thought, has become...we'll collect almost ANYTHING (however cheaply made or crappy it is) with a popular name attached to it (think of the A-Players here) as fans of the character? We're less likely to buy a WELL MADE and STURDY action figure, of a NEW character (in the expanding Joe universe) and therefore they shy away from giving us that?

ARAH was so cool to me, for the very reason of it having so MANY individual unique characters, to build armies or platoons with, on BOTH sides of the battle forces of good and evil, with Cobra having MORE no-named "troop" members to build upon, and Joe had all the characterization in their ranks of ego eccentric die hard patriots and FREEDOM fighters, that couldn't function properly in a strict military setting, and instead were picked up by this highly secretive operation, were their individuality could flourish, and be used to fight COBRA, another band of wildly ego eccentric nutjobs. What FUN!!!

What's an "ego eccentric" die hard patriot? :huh:

-PJ

What's an "ego eccentric" die hard patriot? :huh:

-PJ

EGO

1. The self, especially as distinct from the world and other selves.

2. In psychoanalysis, the division of the psyche that is conscious, most immediately controls thought and behavior, and is most in touch with external reality.

a. An exaggerated sense of self-importance; conceit.

b. Appropriate pride in oneself; self-esteem.

4. An individual's awareness of what constitutes his or her essential nature and distinguishes him or her from all others.

ECCENTRIC

1. Departing from a recognized, conventional, or established norm or pattern. See Synonyms at strange.

2. One that deviates markedly from an established norm, especially a person of odd or unconventional behavior.

3. Deviating from the customary: bizarre, cranky, curious, erratic, freakish, idiosyncratic, odd, outlandish, peculiar, quaint, queer, quirky, singular, strange, unnatural, unusual, weird. Slang: kooky, screwball. A person regarded as strange, eccentric, or crazy: crackpot, crazy.

DIEHARD

1. Stubbornly resisting change or clinging to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause.

2. One who stubbornly resists change or tenaciously adheres to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause: rebel die-hards who refused to surrender.

3. Firmly, often unreasonably immovable in purpose or will: adamant, adamantine, brassbound, grim, implacable, incompliant, inexorable, inflexible, intransigent, iron, obdurate, relentless, remorseless, rigid, stubborn, unbendable, unbending, uncompliant, uncompromising, unrelenting, unyielding. Idiom: stubborn as a mule (or ox).

4. The quality or state of being stubbornly inflexible.

PATRIOT

One who loves, supports, and defends one's country.

Not to be confused with....

EGOCENTRIC

1. Holding the view that the ego is the center, object, and norm of all experience.

a. Confined in attitude or interest to one's own needs or affairs.

b. Caring only about oneself; selfish.

3. Philosophy

a. Viewed or perceived from one's own mind as a center.

b. Taking one's own self as the starting point in a philosophical system.

4. Concerned with the person rather than with society: egoistic, egoistical, individualistic.

5. Concerned only with oneself: egoistic, egoistical, egomaniacal, egotistic, egotistical, self-absorbed, self-centered, self-involved, selfish, self-seeking, self-serving. Idiom: wrapped up in oneself.

6. A conceited, self-centered person: egoist, egomaniac, egotist, narcissist. Informal: swellhead.

7. Concern only for oneself: egocentrism, egoism, egomania, self-absorption, self-centeredness, self-involvement, selfishness.

The Joes have "egos" and they have pretty "eccentric" personalities, and I view them very much as "diehard patriots". #US1#

Hope that helps? Although, knowing your lack of imagination...I doubt it. ;)

Hmmm.

I don't think you really have to "hide" the joints on the figures, just design the figure so that the joint doesn't stick out to much and looks like its apart of the figure. They did it pretty well with most of the figures seen so far(there are some things that do stand out though).

As for the Crimson Guard, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they use Cobra Comander's mold with a different head.

I agree that they should concentrate on new figures, but you just know that they are going to do repaints and reissues sooner or later. So instead of just a straight reissue with different paint, why not fix some of the problems with them? While it would be great to have some of the "B players", I think Hasbro would release another Duke versus a Headhunter simply because of recognition.

Isn't that really the same thing? "Hiding" and designing so the joint doesn't "stick out so much"? Basically, disguising the joint.

I mean, surely they could have done better than this:

stormshadow22large-1.jpg

And gloves would have definately helped this:

flint11large.jpg

Or they could have put it here:

duke23large.jpg

MOD EDIT: took out some quoted crap

okay guys... lest talk about the topic at hand/foot @loll@

I'm not in school... so I don't need some toy fans schooling me in nouns and adjectives.. keep it up and we'll see the topic

closed

–adjective

1. having or forming a boundary or barrier: He was blocked by a closed door. The house had a closed porch.

2. brought to a close; concluded: It was a closed incident with no repercussions.

3. not public; restricted; exclusive: a closed meeting; a closed bid at a private auction.

4. not open to new ideas or arguments.

thank you

That's how I see it. They are going to put out Dukes, CC, SE, and SS over and over again if we like it or not. So why not fix the problems, give them those missing accessories, and what not instead of doing a 25th figure of like version 37.

One thing I would like them do is at least limit it to one of these big names per wave. I mean wave 1 of the single cards has 3 of them in it. I know they had to do that cause of time, but I'd really rather not see that again. If you're going to give us another Duke, give it to us in the same wave as a Major Bludd, or a Snow Job, or a Doc.

okay guys... lest talk about the topic at hand/foot @loll@

I'm not in school... so I don't need some toy fans schooling me in nouns and adjectives.. keep it up and we'll see the topic

closed

–adjective

1. having or forming a boundary or barrier: He was blocked by a closed door. The house had a closed porch.

2. brought to a close; concluded: It was a closed incident with no repercussions.

3. not public; restricted; exclusive: a closed meeting; a closed bid at a private auction.

4. not open to new ideas or arguments.

thank you

I'm willing to comply with this as long as my new ideas and arguments aren't personally shot down as "poor imagination" or veiled shots at my masculinity or fashion sense (or whatever that was). That was the irrational veering away that started it for me. Hope you're fair about this going OT where it did.

I can talk about Stormy's sandals all I want. I was doing it in a positive way too.

-PJ

Trying to ignore the...uh "discussion" above.

Nobody wants to discuss the pics I posted?

Sure, no problem. You think there's any way to mod the crotch so the figures can sit?

-PJ

From another thread:

rahcc3.jpg25thcc3.jpgscarlettbody-1.jpgthook_l.jpg

The "waist" could stay the same since the T-Hook and Ball-Hook are essentially the same.

It's almost like the legs are designed to flare outwards to the sides instead of forward. Looks great for one or two standing poses, but that's it.

I plan on dremeling the insides a little so they match more of the ARAH style... I'll have to start little by little.. cuase I don't want their junk to fall out all over the place

I also want to fix some arms too.. gluing the swivels and sculpting over them and then making my own wrist joints.

Hey, I'm sharing my thoughts and opinions on this stuff already, and it is on topic. That is until I'm questioned or ridiculed on my comments and I have to come back and either explain or defend them.

I'd like nothing more than to maintain a fun and friendly exchange of opinions on all this stuff, and to not have any of it taken so damn seriously and especially so damn personally.

Don't clump me in with an obvious agitator. I've confronted him as others have, when he's gone on the attack against their opinions and ideas.