YoJoe featuring "First Looks" at 25th Anniversary Figures!

General_Hawk

I agree, the darker "cobra blue" along with the black really bring this guy levels above the Officer... I can't wait to see what a Cobra Viper will look like, "cobra blue" black and RED.. man.. that could look pretty sweet...

SS is by far my fav of the bunch, besides the sandals.. wait.. all this hubbub about the Flint gloves.. and nothing about his sandals?? @smilepunch@

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the sandals on SS, but it's not so bad that I dislike the rest of it. He's an awesome looking mold, and pretty true to the original....funky sandals excluded. ^_^

Flint needed something extra special, to make me forgive the Duke repaint, and he needed more than just a new head and nice paint job. Shorter sleeves could have been one added extra to make up for it, and if not that.....at least GLOVES!

New head, different paint scheme, and that's it.

Booooooooo! @grumpy@

SS is by far my fav of the bunch, besides the sandals.. wait.. all this hubbub about the Flint gloves.. and nothing about his sandals?? @smilepunch@

That one almost sparked a full-blown debate on one of the forums (forgot which one) until someone pointed out that ninjas do indeed wear them for certain reasons.

Then the topic faded. . .

Me? I don't have a problem either way.

-PJ

That one almost sparked a full-blown debate on one of the forums (forgot which one) until someone pointed out that ninjas do indeed wear them for certain reasons.

Then the topic faded. . .

Me? I don't have a problem either way.

-PJ

Tried to find the thread so I could cite it, but all I could find was VH posting about how much he hated the 25th Storm Shadow. @loll@

So I found a little wiki (check the history, I promise I didn't alter it or anything):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja#Associated_equipment

See: "sandals"

-PJ

Swear I'm not taking this off-topic. This has everything to do with justifying Stormy's sandals. . .or not.

One page I went to asserted that zori would never be worn with tabi socks because they made a flapping noise when you walked.

But then on another page, I read the following:

Zori does not produce the clanking sound similar to geta, and can be used in hotel lobbies, department stores or restaurant without attracting too much attention. Zori is more comfortable than geta. Warazori is a special straw made zori that samurais used sometimes. The special feature of warazori was that it didn't splash. There was even special straw made zori for horses and cows.

When worn with wafuku, usually zori is used with white tabi.

My working theory? Stormy wears two sets of footwear at once. Remember what your mother told you about not tracking mud into the house? Well, there you go. He enters the target in regular shoes, prepared for the inclement weather and trying to make as little splash as possible.

He reaches the target, hides or destroys the sandals and moves in with "clean" feet.

Upon escape, he leaves the target with false tracks on the bottom of his socks.

-PJ

That's it.. I'm gonna get an extra Flint and make you one with short sleeves and gloves..DAMNIT, lol..

You should know me well enough by now, to know that I'll be making one myself! ^_^

oh..and Stormy's sandals? They look stupid! Don't care about the history of ninja sandal wearing or what the practicalities of them are, the boots look better...

ninjabootstd5.png

Give'em some white ones, and he's good to go. ;)

oh..and Stormy's sandals? They look stupid! Don't care about the history of ninja sandal wearing or what the practicalities of them are,

Aw hell you're right, you know what, neither do I! IMO, he'd look way better with a lightsaber, a rocket pack, and a radar dish coming out of his head. . .so screw characterization, realism, and continuity! I M a induhpendant thinkr! #US1# @smilepunch@

Am I being imaginative yet? ;)

-PJ

I'm all for realism. After all, he's a ninja wearing white.

Actually, a COBRA ninja... wearing white.

:)

Anyways.

Great reviews... and GREAT figures. Can't see fault in them to be honest.

Initially I didn't like the trooper but I thought the officer was da shite. Now the tables are turned.

SS kicks major, MAJOR ass.

Helmet CC is fine except for the tiny sigil and the helmet. It's not that his head is small (which is, but I guess it's the style they're going for), what bothers me is the helmet's design. I think it could have been more... dunno, stylish?

oh..and Stormy's sandals? They look stupid! Don't care about the history of ninja sandal wearing or what the practicalities of them are,

Aw hell you're right, you know what, neither do I! IMO, he'd look way better with a lightsaber, a rocket pack, and a radar dish coming out of his head. . .so screw characterization, realism, and continuity! I M a induhpendant thinkr! #US1# @smilepunch@

Am I being imaginative yet? ;)

Ummmm...yeah sure! :unsure:

Maybe you can customize one like that, with some Star Wars stuff or something, and you'll have the only one like it. Meanwhile...

I'm gonna paint ol' Stormy's sandals WHITE, so you won't even be able to see them, and I'll be as happy as a pig in mud! ^_^

Here's an interesting link on the subject...

http://www.sandalandsoxer.co.uk/

Good luck on that Luke Stormshadow custom thingy...you're wanting. @smilepunch@

oh..and Stormy's sandals? They look stupid!

Sure, according to your standards, you seem to see an odd link between the figure and your little picture link. You threatened by men who wear sandals? Does that mean anything?

Don't care about the history of ninja sandal wearing or what the practicalities of them are,

So when you buy it, it's not a ninja to you anymore? Is that what you're saying? What is it then?

I'm gonna paint ol' Stormy's sandals WHITE, so you won't even be able to see them, and I'll be as happy as a pig in mud! ^_^

According to your previous edict in another thread, I think that shows poor imagination. Why no pat on the back for my solution VH?

I'd say "bad" imagination might not be the correct way of describing it, and that POOR imagination would be better.

So just cover it up if it makes you feel icky, regardless of history or culture. :rolleyes:

Good luck on that sandal insecurity thing, maybe you should see a therapist. @loll@

-PJ

Sure, according to your standards, you seem to see an odd link between the figure and your little picture link. You threatened by men who wear sandals? Does that mean anything?

Don't care about the history of ninja sandal wearing or what the practicalities of them are,

So when you buy it, it's not a ninja to you anymore? Is that what you're saying? What is it then?

According to your previous edict in another thread, I think that shows poor imagination. Why no pat on the back for a viable solution VH?

I'd say "bad" imagination might not be the correct way of describing it, and that POOR imagination would be better.

So just cover it up if it makes you feel icky, regardless of history or culture. :rolleyes:

Good luck on that sandal insecurity thing, maybe you should see a therapist. @loll@

-PJ

#WTF# :blink: *yawn* @zzzz@

In highschool, I had a teacher that wore socks with sandals.

And a kilt one time.

Together.

That weirded the class out............really weirded us out, and this was back in the 70's.

Okay, so I have an insecurity about socks and sandals worn with a kilt.

And I like Miracle Whip.

Can I get a needle?

Are you threatened by men with good fashion sense? @lol@

I'm saying I don't like the sandals on Storm Shadow, and since this isn't the ONLY Storm Shadow ever made, I guess I'm saying I was perfectly fine with the dozen or so OTHER versions that didn't have them either, and that the ones that DO...look "stupid" to me.

I didn't think I was being that cerebral and dubious?

According to your previous edict in another thread, I think that shows poor imagination. Why no pat on the back for my solution VH?

What's this about "poor imagination"? The figures already made, and the only complaint I made on it (remember now, I gave SS a thumbs UP) was his sandals, and I've already stated my plans for a quick fix, and he'll be perfect......by MY standards that is. Simple enough, and not much to it.

If I wanted him to be more like the version YOU descibed above, well that would be a different problem, and harder to "fix" so easily as mine. So yes, yours would take some major customizing and "imagination" to come up with the fix. I'll give you that. His sandals still look stupid, so I'm just taking care of THAT. ;)

Get defensive much? If my decision to pant my Storm Shadows sandals white, is going to bust you up THAT much, I might have to reconsider? @smilepunch@

Can you handle it? May I paint my toys....or not? I don't want to break any rules or make a cultural faux pas.

In highschool, I had a teacher

I was in high school once AND I had teachers too..

that wore socks with sandals.

But they usually wore dress shoes

And

bare with me on this one...

a kilt one time.

believe it or not, I never had a teacher wear a kilt... a dress maybe, and they were female, but no kilt

Together.

see above...

That weirded the class out............really weirded us out,

well, I guess it couldn't have happened to me, or the class.. cause.. like I said above, it didn't happen... and...

and this was back in the 70's.

Funny story about this, bare with me again, cause it all makes sense...

but I was born in the 70s, no lie... @loll@

Okay, so I have an insecurity about socks and sandals worn with a kilt.

So, cause you have some insecurity with socks and sandals and kitls.. you have to tell us about this and we have to some how rationalize the laws of physics and other crap that honestly has nothing to do with Joes or the 25th annv. but more to do with me wanting to read my own posts and constantly badger and pick peoples posts apart and even though I tell them they can have the last word, I'll still continue to pick their post apart and multi quot their and others posts to death till they cry uncle and give up cause they're sick of going back and forth with me, but them giving up will make it look like I'm right.. cause.. in all honesty, that's what this is all about.. isn't it?

And I like Miracle Whip.

Funny you bring this up..cause I just got back from the Supermarket with my son, and guess what, I didn't even buy any Miracle Whip. I know, doesn't seem real.. I'm having a hard time myself, but I googled miracle whip and sure enough.. I didn't buy any, but if that wasn't enough proof to satisfy, I looked at my receipt and sure enough.. nope.. no Miracle Wipe

Can I get a needle?

I just cannot believe the coincidence.. tomorrow I have to get some blood work done.. so if you want, I'll try to sneak you one...

@smilepunch@

now.. back to our talking about the new 25th annv. figs...

This is the most whacked out, surreal "debate" I've ever witnessed - and I use to judge high school debate tournaments.

Wow fellas...wow.

I wouldn't even classify it as a "debate"! :wacko:

I'm going along for the ride just for the hell of it, but to WHERE I'm going, I have NO idea! @lol@

I'm going along for the ride just for the hell of it, but to WHERE I'm going, I have NO idea!

Its already been to Loopyland.

And back.

They have any rides in Loopyland? Or parades? They sell 25th Joes there?

Maybe I should talk to the travel agent again...........

This is the most whacked out, surreal "debate" I've ever witnessed - and I use to judge high school debate tournaments.

Wow fellas...wow.

I wouldn't even classify it as a "debate"! :wacko:

I'm going along for the ride just for the hell of it, but to WHERE I'm going, I have NO idea! @lol@

At this rate, straight to "Locked Threadsville".

We were doing so good, and you just HAD to bring up Storm Shadows sandals and Flints gloves...didn't cha??

@loll@

When we getting Gung Ho's review?

We were doing so good, and you just HAD to bring up Storm Shadows sandals and Flints gloves...didn't cha??

@loll@

When we getting Gung Ho's review?

How many of these figures have the back hole?

I'm saying I don't like the sandals on Storm Shadow, and since this isn't the ONLY Storm Shadow ever made, I guess I'm saying I was perfectly fine with the dozen or so OTHER versions that didn't have them either, and that the ones that DO...look "stupid" to me.

You weren't so positive about the 25th Storm Shadow 6 months ago.

That shoulder design is definitely going to limit the full range of motion, for this sword swingin' ninja to raise his arms above his head.

That's LESS articulation...not MORE!

Those forearm swivel joints look like hell and and in certain positions, make the lower half shot off in an odd direction from the upper half. It's a flimsy point for the plastic and I don't think it looks good. A simple rotating hand movement is all that's needed.

DIAPER CROTCH! What more needs stated?

NO O-RING! Blasphemy! Long torso's and short calves....looks terrible, and if positioned to stand straight up, those legs looked preposed, warped and flimsy.

Sandals suck!

and the knee joints look funny, not sure on those, may just be the picture and it's pose, but from what I CAN see...I don't like it.

It's as simple as that fella's. I doubt anyone is going to agree on those points, but hey, isn't that at least SOME part of why we're here, to share opinions and thoughts, and reactions?

As long as you're consistent. :rolleyes: How on earth did you come around on so many of these issues? Cripes, you even Photoshopped a diagram! You want I should hook up a PowerPoint presentation? @loll@

I didn't think I was being that cerebral and dubious?

Cerebral? No. Dubious? 24/7!

Get defensive much? If my decision to pant my Storm Shadows sandals white, is going to bust you up THAT much, I might have to reconsider? @smilepunch@

C'monnn, you've reconsidered on so many things already. . .the 25th Stormy, Sigma 6, what next?

Are you some kind of shill for Hasbro?

Can you handle it? May I paint my toys....or not? I don't want to break any rules or make a cultural faux pas.

Hey, don't mind me, it's just my opinion, right? Don't get all threatened now, like I'm wearing socks with my sandals or something. . .

Like you said you "don't care" about such historical or practical details. It's a real puzzler why you even care about realism in action figures at all.

I'm going along for the ride just for the hell of it, but to WHERE I'm going, I have NO idea!

Of course you do! Why? You just have to! You couldn't do otherwise even if you tried.

Oh wait, was Viper Hunter the only member that's exclusively allowed to reply to topics ad nauseum until everyone gets tense and upset?

So, cause you have some insecurity with socks and sandals and kitls.. you have to tell us about this and we have to some how rationalize the laws of physics and other crap that honestly has nothing to do with Joes or the 25th annv. but more to do with me wanting to read my own posts and constantly badger and pick peoples posts apart and even though I tell them they can have the last word, I'll still continue to pick their post apart and multi quot their and others posts to death till they cry uncle and give up cause they're sick of going back and forth with me, but them giving up will make it look like I'm right.. cause.. in all honesty, that's what this is all about.. isn't it?

Oh, wait. . .is that a bad thing? I'm just doing this because the other members get to.

-PJ

Wow fellas...wow.

What's so whacked out about it? You don't remember debates about other aspects of Joe toy minutia like I dunno. . .laser rifles, laser cannons, jet packs, the windshield on the HISS, STUN cockpits, Siegie uniforms, Viper faceplates, Viper goggles, Frag-Viper cestas, neon paint jobs, action attack, spring-loaded missles, etc. etc. ????

Nooo. . .course not. This is just so different and "whacked out" and "surreal". OMG. :rolleyes: @loll@

-PJ

Hmmm.

I find myself hoping that they handle this line like Star Wars, reissuing the same figure again down the road with slight improvements, because at this point it seems like every figure I've seen needs alot of improvement.

I'm not talking about minor details(Flints gloves, sandals whatever). The figure design itself needs improvements. Deeper hip sockets, narrowing down the crotch, maybe doing away with the double-jointed knee and going with ball-socket knees, fleshing out the heads(they look nice from the front, not so good from the sides), decrease the length of the torso overall. It took them years to hash out the problems with the new sculpts(more or less), hopefully it won't take as long with these.

Just for the record, I like both regular mayo and miracle whip.