YoJoe featuring "First Looks" at 25th Anniversary Figures!

General_Hawk

@hmmm@

I think I was able to make more sense out of this....

@smilepunch@

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say, I don't think this version of CC out does the original. :(

Whoever designed these figures, undoubtedly came from the camp of kids from the 80's, who played with G.I.Joe and thought the heads were "too big" so now they're correcting what THEY thought was an out of proportion/scale problem, and have given us a pea head version?

Just another of my wild and outrageous assumptions and conjectures, to get across the fact of my disappointment in this figure with a little spicy flavor. I have no idea of who designed these things, so I'm guessing. ;)

Anyway...that's a funky feature on the removable helmet, they've gone with here. Instead of have a face plate on his helmet, the helmet merely covers his android lookin' head? #WTF#

His colors are too light, dull and baby powder BLUE-ish! The logo is still too small and dull!

I still hate the fist!

I'd have preferred GLOVES like his original figure had, over his new elbow high ones. They look like Black latex gloves or something a guy dipping his hands in chemicals would wear. More appropriate for a Mindbender, or Toxo zombie but not the Commander. Don't like the looks of them.

Stubby torso, on a ridiculously LOOOOONG set of praying mantis looking legs. Diaper crotch has always been a nasty looking mold for them, and those hinged knees certainly don't help much in the mantis looking problem.

This new CC is like a jar of Hellmans mayonnaise....bland and no "ZIP!"

The old CC is like Miracle Whip....and has lots of "ZIP!"

I like Miracle Whip! @loll@

Based on these reviews and pictures, before a final "in hand" review can be conducted, my intial verdict on CC is....

bigthumbsdownwr1.png

Good review, as always, I want more pics, but you could take pics all day long with 3 pages of pics and I'd prefer more....

Gotta agree with VH...I am not a fan of the fist....or the legs...

Maybe we will get lucky and the 2nd year they will "fix" the legs and crotch like they "fixed" the arms between the 82 and 83 runs.

I like the Nod to the comics with the "explosive" helmet, but it does seem small.

Not enough for me to skip this figure (especially since it is in a 5 pack, so I can't single him out)...but not my favorite of the 15 we have seen so far that is for sure.

Not enough for me to skip this figure (especially since it is in a 5 pack, so I can't single him out)...but not my favorite of the 15 we have seen so far that is for sure.

@lol@ Yeah, seeing how it comes in the 5-pack, I already know I'm getting it, want it or not.

Destro is in there, and I DEFINITELY want him.

The better looking Cobra Trooper is in there, so that's 2 out of 5 I want.

and the Storm Shadow is actually looking pretty decent to me, so we'll make it 3 out of the 5!

That's still a good percentage.

Sorry, I gotta break with some of you guys. But this is my sincere; honest opinion. . .I swear. Please don't freak out.

(1.) I. . .like the big gloves. It compensates for other, smaller things. ;)

(2.) I really like the clenched fist. DON'T HURT ME!!! :(

While I agree it limits playability, I'm obviously so "trapped" in the CC characterization that all he really should be doing is screaming orders and ultamatums.

I imagine there would be some great poses of him sitting on a throne with his fist tightly clenched against the armrest. IMO, it's a unique feature that should be kept to a minimum. Use it only for CC and that's it.

(3.) The features on this guy are really great. Love the faceplate/explosives (which episode of the toon was that, anyway?). I like how the front rim of the helmet dips down like that, it make him look SO angry. Although yeah, I gotta agree that the entire helmet looks "too tight" around his head and there's no room for his nose.

Thanks for the review, guys!

-PJ

Gotta say, I don't think this version of CC out does the original. :(

Whoever designed these figures, undoubtedly came from the camp of kids from the 80's, who played with G.I.Joe and thought the heads were "too big" so now they're correcting what THEY thought was an out of proportion/scale problem, and have given us a pea head version?

I'm with you. The whole "big RAH" head thing is ridiculous, and I'm really not all that sure where it comes from. People have bigger heads than we must realize. I was trained as an artist, and I can tell you that when you look at the side-by-side comparison shot, it should be obvious that the RAH version is much more realistic in proportion than the new one.

I think what people must prefer is the "comic book hero" proportions, but even so, the guy's wearing a helmet - he's gonna have a big head no matter what!

Oh yeah, and I still hate the tiny sigil. Oh well.

I think I'll pass on the packs altogether, and try and get a loose Storm Shadow, because right now that's the only one I still like. Shouldn't be too hard, I'm sure someone will be army-building the Trooper to some extent. I'll probably try and get SE V1 as well.

I'm with you. The whole "big RAH" head thing is ridiculous, and I'm really not all that sure where it comes from. People have bigger heads than we must realize. I was trained as an artist, and I can tell you that when you look at the side-by-side comparison shot, it should be obvious that the RAH version is much more realistic in proportion than the new one.

I think what people must prefer is the "comic book hero" proportions, but even so, the guy's wearing a helmet - he's gonna have a big head no matter what!

I like the comic book proportions myself. I think it makes the characters look more heroic and larger than life.

And I like Miracle Whip too !! Lol, but my kids hate the stuff.

Sorry, I gotta break with some of you guys. But this is my sincere; honest opinion. . .I swear. Please don't freak out.

No reason to "freak out". ;)

I think you'll find just as many (if not more) fans that like the gloves and the fist also. I can only speak for myself though, and ya got it as harsh and straightforward as I could put it.

We gotta break from all this worry about what others might think of us, if we differ on our opinions about all this kind of stuff. If twenty of us fans were told to compile a list (with images if possible) of our PERFECT or IDEAL appearance of any of these characters, and what features, scale and articulation points they should include, I'd bet we'd see TWENTY different versions. @lol@

This one didn't meet my. In fact, if they would have just stuck closer to the original, given him the same leather gloves (like the original) that swivel at the wrist and maybe just the old type of knees, they'd hit the mark a lot closer than they did.

The features on this guy are really great. Love the faceplate/explosives (which episode of the toon was that, anyway?).

I'm not even sure what an "explosive" means, in regards to his helmet? Didn't read the comics, so somebody will have to explain and give us an example of an "exploding" helmet.

I gotta agree that the entire helmet looks "too tight" around his head and there's no room for his nose.

No room for a normal sized head...

cobracommander-3.jpgheadsamplessh2.png

Face it....if you've got a HELMET on your head, it naturally is going to make your head BIGGER. As much as I like the new Destro's figure, he even suffers from a sammler than normal looking head, and although he's wearing a tighter mask, it would still add some thickness to his head, and the new version is kinda samll for even a no mask wearing head. :(

I'm not even sure what an "explosive" means, in regards to his helmet? Didn't read the comics, so somebody will have to explain and give us an example of an "exploding" helmet.

In issue #24 of the Marvel series, the Joes capture Cobra Commander for the first time. When they discuss taking off the helmet, CC cautions them against doing so because the helmet is booby trapped with plastique (he's just that scary). He also uncovers a portion of his helmet to prove he means business.

This is also covered in his '87 filecard. And according to the YoJoe 25th figure review apparently, it says this was featured in not only the comic, but the toon as well.

The removable helmet with explosive charges in the back of his faceplate is a great homage to both the comic and the cartoon.

I just got done watching alot of the Sunbow series and must have missed it. Still waiting for someone to tell me the episode on that.

-PJ

While I agree it limits playability, I'm obviously so "trapped" in the CC characterization that all he really should be doing is screaming orders and ultamatums.

I imagine there would be some great poses of him sitting on a throne with his fist tightly clenched against the armrest. IMO, it's a unique feature that should be kept to a minimum. Use it only for CC and that's it.

(3.) The features on this guy are really great. Love the faceplate/explosives (which episode of the toon was that, anyway?). I like how the front rim of the helmet dips down like that, it make him look SO angry. Although yeah, I gotta agree that the entire helmet looks "too tight" around his head and there's no room for his nose.

Thanks for the review, guys!

-PJ

I don't mind the fist. I think it limits the figure some, yes, but it's better than the crappy attempts like the Neo-Viper and Coils.

One interesting thing is that, if I recall correctly from the first Scarlett review, the figure's hands come off easily enough. So why not "interchangeable hands"? Kinda like the way Microman does it. It would also solve the "Flint's gloves" thing to.

bigthumbsdownwr1.png

No wonder you don't like small heads there...Mr. Mega Melon. @smilepunch@ (lol)

Seriously...I'm one of those aforementioned people who thought the old Joes had big gourds. Not all of them, but alot of them. For example, I recently looked at a pic of the original v2 Snake-Eyes after I had been looking at the anniversary one, and his head looked HUGE to me. Maybe it was an optical illusion with the visor. But I'll admit to thinking the heads weren't always proportional. I personally think the new Cobra Commander looks great. I think his head/helmet looks perfect. Is it realistic in terms of real proportions? Probably not, but it looks good to me. (lol) And VH, if you look closely at the RAH CC right next to the anniversary one, his forearms are the exact same hue of light blue that the new one's uniform is, at least that's how he looks on my pc. So I don't see the big discrepancy in colors.

So officially I went from "Holy COW!!" to "Ah...meh." to "I can't wait until these come OUT!!!" in terms of excitement. (lol) Flint's missing gloves are my only gripe. Everything else looks great to me.

bigthumbsdownwr1.png

No wonder you don't like small heads there...Mr. Mega Melon. @smilepunch@ (lol)

@loll@ TOUCHE'

Seriously...I'm one of those aforementioned people who thought the old Joes had big gourds. Not all of them, but alot of them. For example, I recently looked at a pic of the original v2 Snake-Eyes after I had been looking at the anniversary one, and his head looked HUGE to me. Maybe it was an optical illusion with the visor. But I'll admit to thinking the heads weren't always proportional. I personally think the new Cobra Commander looks great. I think his head/helmet looks perfect. Is it realistic in terms of real proportions? Probably not, but it looks good to me. (lol) And VH, if you look closely at the RAH CC right next to the anniversary one, his forearms are the exact same hue of light blue that the new one's uniform is, at least that's how he looks on my pc. So I don't see the big discrepancy in colors.

I've taken the time here, to fart around with this 25th anniversary version pic of CC, and photoshop him up a bit, to show a few of the added touchs, I think would have made a big difference in my opinion of him (mostly just painted details) and I also replaced those goody gloves, with his old ones.

cckw9.png

I pulled his head up just a bit, to expose more of his neck, so he didn't look so stumpy, and I also added the black, like the original had around his collar. Oh, and enlarged the logo!

Not too much, but I think it makes it pretty dramatic difference. I know I would have been more pleased with it this way. ^_^

Hey now...that DOES look better. (lol) Dang you VH! I THOUGHT I was satisfied... (lol)

Funny how tiny touches make a big difference like that. I did mean to mention something about the tiny Cobra symbol though. I do wish it were bigger. Ah...I still like it, although you showed me he has no neck and should have a black collar underneath VH. (lol)

I've taken the time here, to fart around with this 25th anniversary version pic of CC, and photoshop him up a bit, to show a few of the added touchs, I think would have made a big difference in my opinion of him (mostly just painted details) and I also replaced those goody gloves, with his old ones.

I pulled his head up just a bit, to expose more of his neck, so he didn't look so stumpy, and I also added the black, like the original had around his collar. Oh, and enlarged the logo!

Not too much, but I think it makes it pretty dramatic difference. I know I would have been more pleased with it this way. ^_^

Looks better VH, I would also have preferred his helmet like so:

cc25th.jpg

Maybe we will get lucky and the 2nd year they will "fix" the legs and crotch like they "fixed" the arms between the 82 and 83 runs.

This sort of stuff has me REALLY jaded about anything not RAH. The lack of consistency in everything since JvC has been sloppy and really hurt the toy line as a whole. I look through my collection and even figures within the SAME SERIES are a discombobulated mix of bad porportions, and scale changes mid line. I don't like the new line of figures. Mostly the diaper crotches, inability to sit, and oversized legs kill them for me.. But more so I dont like spending tons of money on figures that conistently remain inconsistent in terms of quality and style. I seriously think I've had it with modern GI Joe. I loved most of the DTC figs, and felt like Venom Vs. Valor had it absolutely right in the final wave. However looking back at new sculpts as a whole I cant help but feel its been a sloppy mess of changing ideas midstream over and over again.

The only thing GI Joe that has stayed consistent in terms of scale at least (maybe not quality) is RAH.

Looks better VH, I would also have preferred his helmet like so:

cc25th.jpg

Yet another subtle little touch, that adds a lot in it's overall appearance...and coolness. ^_^

Then there's poor old Flint! :(

Time was not so kind to our dear ol' warrant officer, and just as I suspected from the reviews on him, that recessed hairline on the side of his head, gave a sneak peak into what lies under that Black Beret a top his head....

baldflintvk0.png

Unless of course, he's planning on going undercover into the Cobra Officer/Soldier ranks? @lol@

Storm Shadow is one figure that I definitely want out of this line. So if anyone will be buying a few packs to get some extra troopers (and I'm sure someone will), keep me in mind! ;)

I'm just not sure I want the others in that pack, but we'll see... I may change my mind when I see them in stores.

Can't believe how much a difference there is, in how I feel about the Cobra Soldier vs. the Officer.

Apparently just the colors or something, as the light grays on the Officer just wash him out or something, makes him bland and dull?

ANYWAY...

The Soldier and Storm Shadow, definitely get two big thumbs up from me.

bigthumbsup2jv7.png