YoJoe featuring "First Looks" at 25th Anniversary Figures!

General_Hawk

1) Someone mentioned that Strom Shadow also had an ilogical cut joint and I just wanted to state my agreement. It's nowhere as bad as Duke's or Flint's, but it still begs the question: What could possibly be the rationale behind it?

Well, I'm not privy to any insider info or anything, but having done many conversions to swivel wrists on customs I can say that putting the joint further up the forearm rather than at the wrist will allow the joint to be more sturdy. You have a larger piece of plastic that your pegs comes out of, and a larger piece of plastic for it to go into making it less likely to fail.

Still looks pretty rough though.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the camp that views the basic use of Duke's mold as acceptable. I mean really, a few inches of sleeve and gloves aside, the figures were damn near identical in RAH. So I view it as a waste to tool a SLIGHTLY different shirt and pants for sake of making Flint "unique".

Well I have no problem with people thinking it's acceptable, or fine, or even better this way. That's really not what I have an issue with. It's more the almost scare like tatics used by some supporters of that idea when they justify why Flint is this way. The whole "This Flint is better then No Flint." or "Hasbro had to make him this way, cause if they didn't they proably wouldn't have made him." type statement. I just find these absurd. If they didn't put Flint in wave 1 and waited to fix things like sleeves or gloves then he just would have been in wave 2...or wave 3 or 2008. It's not like he would have NEVER been made.

However, I view the character's popularity as the principal reason we're gettng him now instead of a wave or two later (where they would have certainly included the gloved hands). It's a two-edged sword. It's all part of Hasbro putting their best forward at launch, outside of the 5 pack characters, Flint easily tops the popularity list, especially for those who grew up on the cartoon.

Well in order for that to be case we'd have to make two leaps of logic. Either 1. All the figures in wave 1 are more popular then the figures in wave 2, and Wave 2 is more popular then wave 3. Which I doubt. I don't have numbers to back it up, but I highly doubt that's the case. Or 2, that Wave 1 was so hurting for a popular named Character that they HAD to put Flint there. Again I find this hard to believe in a wave with Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Cobra Commander. While these may well be the top 25 most popular figures. ( 23 actually. We get the Trooper twice, and I highly doubt that Joe fans would vote Satan/Red Ninja one of the top 25 most popular figures. ) I doubt they are being released in order of popularity.

If that's the case then it wouldn't matter if Stalker (A figure planned for Wave 3 anyway.) was in Flint's spot. He would only require a new head and gun. Which Flint got a new Head and Webgear..so I doubt it would have been anymore diffcult or costly then that. And Flint could have been put in wave 3 where they would have had more time to redo his arms.

But I know, I KNOW, that Hasbro is going to "Star Wars" us with the 25th line, ie, we get these solid versions now, but next year, I bet we see Scarlett with a new hip piece, a Cobra Officer with proper weapon (and maybe legs), and Flint with a new head sculpt with gloves. Basically, toys "just different enough" to make us cough up another six bucks.

I actually hope they are. They've been good about fixing problems with figure and releasing them again. I fully expect to see a Vac metal headed Destro with a fixed hand, a Baroness with new head, Duke with a Backpack and so on and so forth.

@lol@ Flint became poop to me, when it was clear he was merely a repainted DUKE mold with a new head. V2's of SE or SS using the SAME mold as the V1's is bad enough, or the difference between a Cobra Trooper and Soldier not being so much that they could use the SAME mold is even another thing (although more acceptable in this case....their SUPPOSE to be identical to a degree) but taking a major character like FLINT, to throw in at the "last moment" amongst a set of the V2's of already available characters in all their originally DETAILED V1 glories....

Well, did I mention I thought it was "poop"? ^_^

Sleeves and gloves might have made it all forgivable, but apparently it was cost prohibitive? :rolleyes:

I'm highly disappointed in many of these now, in light of the reviews we're seeing of the ACTUAL figures, and all the crappy details we're getting to see on them, or LACKOF details. The paint colors and hues have killed the Cobra Officer/Soldier for me. :(

CHEAP! CHEAP! CHEAP!

flint looks great to me.. though the big bottom lip is a bit odd. So far I'm not too put off by the re-using of molds... let's see how far hasbro is willing to go is all...

can someone who is on the "in" find out why the officer's hair is gone? we've already seen packaged pics of the figures WITH hair so it seems really bizarre that he got shaved suddenly.

1) Someone mentioned that Strom Shadow also had an ilogical cut joint and I just wanted to state my agreement. It's nowhere as bad as Duke's or Flint's, but it still begs the question: What could possibly be the rationale behind it?

Well, I'm not privy to any insider info or anything, but having done many conversions to swivel wrists on customs I can say that putting the joint further up the forearm rather than at the wrist will allow the joint to be more sturdy. You have a larger piece of plastic that your pegs comes out of, and a larger piece of plastic for it to go into making it less likely to fail.

Still looks pretty rough though.

See that's just it. They put it throught the MIDDLE of those well, whatever they hell they are, on his forearms instead of at the far end near his elbows to hide the joint.

I'm highly disappointed in many of these now, in light of the reviews we're seeing of the ACTUAL figures, and all the crappy details we're getting to see on them, or LACKOF details. The paint colors and hues have killed the Cobra Officer/Soldier for me. :(

CHEAP! CHEAP! CHEAP!

I'm still holding on to the hope it's just a difference in camera quality and lighting when comparing pics. We'll see when they finally arrive. If they're not "Cobra Blue" I'll be just as upset.

Never forget the bubblegum Vipers. ;)

-PJ

One of my minor gripes is that it seems Hasbro got confused with the Cobra Officer and the Soldier. On the Officer's card-art, his Cobra sigil red. But of course he has the silver sigil to denote his status as an Officer; right? Okay, that's flub number one. Second, he comes with the Dragunov sniper rifle like the original Soldier did, but the original Officer figure came with an AK-47. Even the card-art plainly shows him with an AK! Flub number two. Flub number three is the fact that the Officer comes on a single card, yet we get the army-builder Soldier in a five-pack full of figures army builders won't want to have oodles of just to have an army of Soldiers.

All of my nit-picking aside, I love these figures, even the gloveless Flint. (Sorry VH.) (lol) Yeah, he looked durn-near perfect with them, but ah...what can ya do?

Look, I'm just quoting the review man. This isn't personal. All I got to go on is the information that you're putting out. Why didn't you include what you just wrote above in the review?

Include what? The fact that I stated that Flint's character seemed a lot more well defined in the cartoon? It did, so what? This is my exact quote:

The cartoon really gave Flint the personality that has lasted over the past twenty-two years, and they've done an exceptional job really making this character shine. Flint did get somewhat of a focus in the Marvel comics way back when, but was never as important a character as he became in the Sunbow universe, and I think the cartoon was infinitely successful in that regard.

Here is what I meant: Flint was a main character in the Sunbow cartoon and got a lot of screen time, and thus, a lot more personality. He was a main character in the cartoon and a supporting character in the comics. That's all I meant. Collectors who aren't Joe diehards are simply going to remember Flint based on how he was portrayed in the 'toons, simple as that. Flint had dozens of defining moments in the cartoon and barely a handful in the comics. One's not better or worse, Larry just had a lot more invested in Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Zartan, etc.... whereas the cartoon was developed to push the most popular character during that given year. So the toon featured Flint a LOT more than the comic did. That's not me spouting, that's the truth.

Why all the love for the attention to detail on Destro's gauntlets in your previous review, while you blow off Flint's gloves in this one?

Either it's "just gloves" or it's an iconic accessory that adds to the character. Make one case or the other. . .and stick to your guns. Either way it's like I said, I agreed with what was written in the first quote, and I'm still buying the figure.

Again, I don't even know how to answer this. Destro's twin-rocket launchers are used countless times throughout the mythos and are pretty cool and important aspects of the character. Flint is wearing brown friggen gloves. Something tells me he'd be able to grab that weapon or punch that Eel in the face just fine without them.

1. You can re-think your position and choose to retract the points that I disagreed with. I promise I won't hold your feet to the fire on this.

OR

2. You can elaborate what you really meant to say, or point out any flaws in the way I staged the quotes to make my point.

OR

3. You can go full steam ahead and assert that the Sunbow toon is in fact the #1. priority template for all the 80s characters over and above the filecards or the comics.

See? It's not like I'm trying to pigeonhole you. :rolleyes:

:huh: Rethink my decision on what?!? Hold my feet to the fire? What the heck are you talking about? Do you tweak on people just to make yourself feel more important? I made one comment about Flint getting more established and fleshed out character traits in the cartoon because he was a bigger focal point in the cartoon. It's the truth. Because I think Flint's character was more fleshed out in the cartoon doesn't mean I praise the cartoon and think the comic is utter garbage. That's quite the leap of logic you made there. Heck, if I were going by that, I could say that the cartoon better fleshed out the character of Sparks... oh, watch out! I'm slamming the comic again!

Give me Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Spirit, COBRA Commander, Destro, Scarlett, Zartan, ad infinitum and I'll tell you the comic killed the cartoon in their character traits and personas. But for guys like Flint, Duke, Shipwreck, Beachhead, etc... they were a much bigger focus in the cartoon (for better or WORSE) so their personalities get elements of the cartoon in them. I don't think I'm committing some cardinal sin to comic book fans here. Anyone else feeling that way? :huh:

Seems to me you're just looking for a reason to push buttons, Paul...congrats, you pushed mine.

Thanks for answering my question.... yes, you definitely indeed looking WAY too much into this.

Justin

The cartoon really gave Flint the personality that has lasted over the past twenty-two years, and they've done an exceptional job really making this character shine. Flint did get somewhat of a focus in the Marvel comics way back when, but was never as important a character as he became in the Sunbow universe, and I think the cartoon was infinitely successful in that regard.

Here is what I meant: Flint was a main character in the Sunbow cartoon and got a lot of screen time, and thus, a lot more personality. He was a main character in the cartoon and a supporting character in the comics. That's all I meant. Collectors who aren't Joe diehards are simply going to remember Flint based on how he was portrayed in the 'toons, simple as that. Flint had dozens of defining moments in the cartoon and barely a handful in the comics. One's not better or worse, Larry just had a lot more invested in Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Zartan, etc.... whereas the cartoon was developed to push the most popular character during that given year. So the toon featured Flint a LOT more than the comic did. That's not me spouting, that's the truth.

Did you see that Family Guy where Chris got caught with alcohol in the bathroom and Flint comes out of the stall like one of those old PSAs? If I recall, they even got the voice actor for that.

I just want the figures in my hands, then a I can #$#@# or gush accordingly. As I recall from 82-94 I liked and disliked figures in each wave back in the day....but I don't remember getting too mental over it....I bought the ones I liked, didn't buy the ones I didn't (unless they had accessories or a head sculpt I needed)...

All these reviews are doing is making me jones for the figures...I've got that damn countdown clock as my homepage now.....

I just need a second Job so I can pay a local guy (I'm looking at you John) to customize them a bit for me....

Keep the reviews coming....daily...or twice daily...I have money in my paypal..it could be yours...

I think the internet has added quite a bit to the experience of collecting G.I.Joe, since 1982. ^_^

This of course, can be good or bad, depending on the "experience" we're having with it at the moment. You are right though, and nobody probably ever got too "mental" over any of it back then, and I doubt too many REALLY get too mental still today, but if we would have had the ability to share our thoughts on the stuff, with so many OTHERS back then, like what we do today....I bet the conversations would almost be identical, and we'd be griping about the stuff we don't like and raving about the stuff we do, and arguing about it with others who disagree with which ever one it is we side with.

If your were a "kid" getting these toys for a present, you were likely just damn glad to be getting some G.I.Joe toys. If (like me) you were living your 2nd childhood and buying and collecting all these toys, because...ummmm, because they were....ummmm, JUST SO DAMN COOL, YOU COULDN'T HELP YOURSELF, well, you were likely doing so in a vaccum, so who woulda knew what the heck anybody else might have thought about them that wasn't a kid? @lol@

I remember always having two reactions to these toys as I spotted the NEW assortments on the shelves finally, and one was..

WHOA....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?? :o

and the other was..

UGH....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?? :o

see the difference? ;)

It's still the same today, but none of us EVER always agree on the "Whoas" from the "ughs".

You bring up some good points, VH. I actually enjoy the G.I. Joe "experience" more with the advent of the internet. Why? Well, back in the old days, the only way we knew anything new was coming out was whenever we saw stuff in stores, being caught unawares like VH alluded to, or when we got those great catalog inserts with the vehicles. Geeze, what memories. Anyway, that was exciting, but these days it's so much more fun because you read exciting rumors online, even though some turn out to be untrue. And then we'll see "first look" pics, early reports of releases, and then we can always meet up online like we do here and shoot the breeze, share experiences, and discuss stuff like we never could as kids unless we were on the playground. And even then not everybody was into G.I. Joe. It may sound corny, but it's really an exciting time to be a fan and/or collector.

You bring up some good points, VH. I actually enjoy the G.I. Joe "experience" more with the advent of the internet. Why? Well, back in the old days, the only way we knew anything new was coming out was whenever we saw stuff in stores, being caught unawares like VH alluded to, or when we got those great catalog inserts with the vehicles. Geeze, what memories. Anyway, that was exciting, but these days it's so much more fun because you read exciting rumors online, even though some turn out to be untrue. And then we'll see "first look" pics, early reports of releases, and then we can always meet up online like we do here and shoot the breeze, share experiences, and discuss stuff like we never could as kids unless we were on the playground. And even then not everybody was into G.I. Joe. It may sound corny, but it's really an exciting time to be a fan and/or collector.

Well the internet HAS made things more "fun". Customs, for example. Some are...weak but some are kick ass.

Or take the dio stories. When we played (if some of us still don't ;) ) with G.I. Joes we were, essentially, doing little dios. But now, those little dios can be shown for all to see. And some people have such ELABORATE stories being told they put Robot Chicken to shame in some ways.

Not to mention being able to acquire some of the stuff we missed back in the 80s (for those of us old enough to have missed stuff in the 80s). I didn't get a Terror Drome until maybe 2 years ago, for example.

But it's also nice to be able to discuss things of interest with other people that have similar interests.

Seems to me you're just looking for a reason to push buttons, Paul...congrats, you pushed mine.

Please-please don't become another one of "those" fans and jump to the easiest concusion available. That's just not the way it is. These really are my true; honest feelings on the matter. I thought you were emotionally above all this Justin; I still think you are.

And as previously stated, I'm letting you have the last word. I really didn't mean to hit a nerve and I'm not going to argue any of your conclusions or explanations.

Take care.

-PJ

I just need a second Job so I can pay a local guy (I'm looking at you John) to customize them a bit for me....

Keep the reviews coming....daily...or twice daily...I have money in my paypal..it could be yours...

Paul- Let me get mine all taken care of, and I'll be happy to hook you up with cast "fixed" parts where necessary. Did I mention that I work for figures? @hmmm@

Please-please don't become another one of "those" fans and jump to the easiest concusion available. That's just not the way it is. These really are my true; honest feelings on the matter. I thought you were emotionally above all this Justin; I still think you are.

And as previously stated, I'm letting you have the last word. I really didn't mean to hit a nerve and I'm not going to argue any of your conclusions or explanations.

Take care.

-PJ

Thanks Paul, we're glad you appreciate all of the hard work, time and money we put into YoJoe every day to bring you content weeks ahead of any other medium or forum and we appreciate and the feedback we receive.

We write our previews as editorials from the perspective of the author. Therefore we write what we see and how we feel about a product, and if you differ then that's okay too. It is a matter if perspective and editorial opinion.

Thank you for the input.

@hmmm@

You'd sometimes have to think, that merely offering up our personal opinions and personal reviews of these toys, is almost like going skinny dippin' with SHARKS!

swimmingwithsharksvz5.png

@lol@

You'd sometimes have to think, that merely offering up our personal opinions and personal reviews of these toys, is almost like going skinny dippin' with SHARKS!

@lol@

LOL! Okay that was just too funny. My sentiments exactly.

What I don't get is the fact that I have this online rep as some kind of crazy, obsessive fan when. . .

(a.) I don't run an active fansite.

(b.) I don't help advertise the product.

(c.) I don't demand extra status or respect when I catalogue something for posterity.

(d.) I don't demand extra status or respect when I am the first to review a new or obscure product.

Do I appreciate the reviews? Well, I read 'em, and everyone's opinion is indeed equal. . .rrright? @hmmm@ Do I appreciate the pics? Sure I do! What's a review worth without pics? Are they really necessary though? I dunno. I mean, it's okay if you're really-really trying to decide whether you want to buy them or not. If someone feels like they need reimbursement in some form, it's not mine to give.

BTW, this is not a hijack, but has anyone seen the movie "Almost Famous"?

Yeah, that was one awesome film.

- PJ

@lol@

LOL! Okay that was just too funny. My sentiments exactly.

What I don't get is the fact that I have this online rep as some kind of crazy, obsessive fan when. . .

(a.) I don't run an active fansite.

(b.) I don't help advertise the product.

(c.) I don't demand extra status or respect when I catalogue something for posterity.

(d.) I don't demand extra status or respect when I am the first to review a new or obscure product.

Do I appreciate the reviews? Well, I read 'em, and everyone's opinion is indeed equal. . .rrright? @hmmm@ Do I appreciate the pics? Sure I do! What's a review worth without pics? Are they really necessary though? I dunno. I mean, it's okay if you're really-really trying to decide whether you want to buy them or not. If someone feels like they need reimbursement in some form, it's not mine to give.

BTW, this is not a hijack, but has anyone seen the movie "Almost Famous"?

Yeah, that was one awesome film.

- PJ

I really think you might wanna drop this "discussion" as soon as you can. It's just gonna cause grief.

I really think you might wanna drop this "discussion" as soon as you can. It's just gonna cause grief.

Okay, shutting up now.

:shivering: I'm just a peon that forgot "my place" in the fan hierarchy there for a sec.

@loll@

-PJ

:rolleyes:

Just saying we don't need animosity and feelings hurt or anything is all.

And that's all I have to say.

All it takes is reading the posts, Paul. You don't have to run a fansite or create archives to be someone who likes pushing buttons (where did the "crazy, obsessive fan" aspect come in? I never brought that up...)...when you read past posts of yours and plainly see that...oh...at least half of them are inciting debate or trying to tweak someone, you do come to that conclusion. I mean, you're a smart guy, I'm sure you've heard of Occam's razor right? The easiest solution is usually the correct one? It's easy to assume you try real hard to get under people's skin because that's what the content of the bulk of your posts are. Easy as that.

Let's see, you've been banned from several online message boards and are continually getting into bitter arguments with tons of other fans out there...oh, but it must be everyone else, right? Couldn't possibly be a "you" problem, could it?

To everyone else who appreciates the reviews, thanks. All constructive comments and criticism are more than welcome, we appreciate the valid feedback!

Justin

To everyone else who appreciates the reviews, thanks. All constructive comments and criticism are more than welcome, we appreciate the valid feedback!

Justin

Well, I can't really understand how your personal reviews of said toy could be an issue of debate or up for criticism anyway, when after all...it's just YOUR personal opinion on it.

I love the reviews and all the pics you can possibly cram into'em, so keep it up! :)

If I was doing the reviews, you'd all have to read MY take on each of the items, and somehow, I get the feeling I'd be pretty crappy at it, as I'm not so calm, cool and collected and able to give a "decent" constructive opinion of something I REEEEEALLY dislike a whole lot! @loll@

My hats off to you guys for having that kind of tempered emotional restraint! I feel it's YOU guys that probably feel as though your swimming with sharks, when you get attacked about an issue of personal preference or opinion on these toys. You don't claim WE have to like or dislike it also, or that we're stupid if WE do or don't, so I don't get the antagonistic attitudes towards you guys....sometimes.

All it takes is reading the posts, Paul. You don't have to run a fansite or create archives to be someone who likes pushing buttons (where did the "crazy, obsessive fan" aspect come in? I never brought that up...)

I really am not doing this to "push buttons". It all depends on who you're getting your gossip from. Actually, you alluded to it in the same post. See below. *

...when you read past posts of yours and plainly see that...oh...at least half of them are inciting debate or trying to tweak someone, you do come to that conclusion.

Okay, see. . .here I am being told for the upteenth time that debate is bad. But in order for there to even be a debate, there must be opposing opinions. This is why I draw the conclusions that my opinion is "less valid" according to some in the community. You're merely making me more convinced this is true by these statements.

I mean, you're a smart guy, I'm sure you've heard of Occam's razor right? The easiest solution is usually the correct one? It's easy to assume you try real hard to get under people's skin because that's what the content of the bulk of your posts are. Easy as that.

How can I try to get under anyone's skin if it's not too thin to begin with? That was an easy conclusion, no? Why do I elicit so much hostility from editorializing an editorial? After all, apart from the big-scoop-1st-look preview pics, they're about the same thing, right?

What you did was a very nice thing. Nothing less, and nothing more. I honestly wouldn't for a minute think it was anything else to make other collectors feel they "owed you" for the very nice things you do.

Let's see, you've been banned from several online message boards and are continually getting into bitter arguments with tons of other fans out there...oh, but it must be everyone else, right? Couldn't possibly be a "you" problem, could it?

* Af if to say, "I'm not bringing up your rep Paul, but I'm bringing up your rep." LOL!

It goes a little something like this:

(a.) Forum X encourages discussion, but "debate is bad, don't rock the boat."

Naturally, no one sees the huge contradiction in this unwritten rule.

(b.) Thus, PJ attempts a little discussion/debate without looking like a troll. After all, he's just discussing.

(c.) Debate gets intense and PJ doesn't back down from being ganged-up on by his peers (after all, he's quite used to it already). So it just escalates even more.

(d.) PJ looks like a troll because he can't stop finding holes in other's reasoning (though I'm learning to curb that, notice I'm not going after the General's review anymore).

(e.) The mod starts getting leaned on, usually from people he's obligated to for favors (this being a collectibles forum and all) and folds to mob demand because they're too angry to effectively reason.

(f.) PJ gets banned.

(g.) PJ moves on and notices a forum that claims to have an inclusive group of diverse opinions and welcomes discussion. He decides to put down stakes and give it a sincere go.

(h.) Wash, rinse, repeat.

No problem, I just hope my comments are seen as constructive criticism as well.

-PJ