How rare is your action figure really?

DesiSpider

I just joined the forum and this is the first time i am posting a topic or anything for that matter. Hope this is an interesting question.

I started my collection about 2 years back and although not upto the par of most you guys out there i am quite proud of my collection. One of my prized aquistions was the Spiderman Classic Yellow Daredevil figure which one site quoted "people were willing to give their left nut for". Although it was a loose figure i still thought it was quite a rare figure to have.

However in recent light, rumors of a HML wave 4 Yellow daredevil figure made me think how rare really is my action figure then? Of course the packaging would be different, but how does it matter if you are going to open them anyways! Before the hasbro spiderman origin figures, the KB exclusive spiderman 2099 was selling for upto $50 on ebay, now you can get for even $10. How rare would the silver luke cage figure be if it came out in HML wave 5?

So should companies take a note and do away with exclusive figures which might not actually be exclusive for very long?

"Rarity" is a matter of a lot of different factors these days.

The numbers of units made of a given toy is the big one, but also the numbers of those toys that see distribution.

Adding to that are the numbers distributed to your area, and then the numbers of a certain version or variant.

Then you can alter the equation with the numbers that are opened, or kept MOC by collectors, and the numbers that are offered for sale on the secondary market.

Warehouse finds still happen and large numbers of "rare" figures can be dumped into the market place at just about any time.

That is why toys have been cited as being a LOUSY investment for many years now.

As far as exclusive releases go, companies making them don't really care. They just care that X-amount of units of those figures sells. To whom, and for how much are meaningless outside of their retailer agreement for sale. Exclusives serve a purpose to attract consumers to a store for that product, and ( it is said) ancilliary shopping of other good in that same store. That's the advantage of exclusives--they serve the retailers only--the manufacturer just makes the items.

Hmmm, now I wouldn't call them a LOUSY investment per say. If your buying them hoping hoping to make killing off them in the future thats not the best approach. But if your buying loose off ebay lets say at the standard going rate(that you've observed over many months) down the line you should be able to resell at close to the same price you bought it in the first place. Take ML6 juggernaut or Deadpool(Juggernaut more so) both figures go for $35-40 loose on ebay everyday guaranteed. Thats not going to change.

Hmmm, now I wouldn't call them a LOUSY investment per say. If your buying them hoping hoping to make killing off them in the future thats not the best approach. But if your buying loose off ebay lets say at the standard going rate(that you've observed over many months) down the line you should be able to resell at close to the same price you bought it in the first place. Take ML6 juggernaut or Deadpool(Juggernaut more so) both figures go for $35-40 loose on ebay everyday guaranteed. Thats not going to change.

well, if Hasbro puts out either again, as a repaint or a new figure, those prices will sink like a stone

Nope, they are, in all respects, a lousy investment.

How many of those toys are being held MOC, by people waiting to resell them on the secondary market?

What are the chances of completely new sculpts/better version of those characters coming along at some point?

See, none of these toys are going to make anyone any appreciable money over time, because the market will sate the appetite for these figures in some way.

With new product still coming out ( and re-do's of those "rare" characters being more or less inevitable) who will want to pay $40 or more for a character they can get the latest version of for $10??

Investing in toys from a currently active line is extremely volatile ( and foolish) for that reason.

The window for short-term gain on the secondary market has literally dropped from weeks to days, even hours for those in that game. I've seen dealers set up a table at a swap meet with items they claim to be the only ones in town, only to have some other dealer roll in cases of the same things 15 minutes later. So much for "rarity" in that case, eh?

17 years ago, one of the hottest toys on the secondary market was the Blank, from the Dick Tracy toy-line. It was extremely rare in the USA, but it had been dumped up here in Canada--there were piles of them here. I considered buying about 20 of them at the old Woodwards store in Vancouver, but I realized that doing so would be risky in getting the return I wanted. Once the pipeline for these figures getting to the US opened up, the then-current asking price of $50 or so would plummet.

And it did.

Just weeks later, I saw the figures being discounted on dealer tables at Seattle toy shows for $5, which was Cdn retail at that time.

Now you hear nothing about this supposedly rare toy. Its value is negligible now.

The only toys considered to have any kind of investment potential are those considered truly antique, usually in the range or 50-75 years old or more, and worth above $10,000 in asking price.

well, if Hasbro puts out either again, as a repaint or a new figure, those prices will sink like a stone

Since toybiz won't be making new versions of these figures for at least MANY years to come and only hasbro can remake them. Hasbro will NEVER reach the quality that toybiz did with these two figures in particular(articulation-paint).A repaint of toybiz's mold first off is quite unlikely and second did you see their repaints of Spider-man origins? Doc Ock's color is hideous and way off where toybiz's was PERFECT. Now I didn't say they're an investment to buy (though they're still better then video games and Brand new Cars) , just that their resale will be close(a bit less or more) to what you pay on ebay(if resold back on ebay)

TAKE THE ORIGINAL AMAZING FANTASY # 15 EST. VALUE NM $30,000.00 BUT GO OUT AND BUY MARVEL LEGENDS SERIES 10 SPIDERMAN OPEN PACK AND YOU HAVE IT NM $8.00. ITS THE SAME, BUT ITS NOT THE SAME.

OR TAKE A 2006 FERRARI F 430 SPYDER F1 EST VALUE $300,000.00 OR A TURNKEY FIERO KIT CAR $18,000.00, LOOKS THE SAME BUT ITS JUST NOT THE SAME.

NOW TAKE MARVEL LEGENDS SERIES 3 THOR MOC EST VALUE $35.00 OR A GIANTMAN THOR $10.00

SO EVEN IF THEY DID RE-RELEASE THE VARIANT SILVER SHIRT LUKE CAGE OR BLACK PSYLOCKE IN A LATER SERIES, ITS JUST NOT THE SAME.

FINALLY ASK ANY GIRL 1 CARET BLUE/WHITE ROUND CUT DIAMOND OR A 1 CARET CUBIC ZIRCONIA

FOR THE GUYS 12 OZ BUD OR 12 OZ NEARBEER

ml51.jpg

I wouldnt call them a lousy investment, it depends on how long and for what purpose you are holding onto them. Some people buy figs, keep them in tip top shape, keep them for 5 or 6 years and then try to resell them, often they are dissapointed.

As for me, I have maybe a dozen or so large boxes (plastic) full of MOC MIB figs. I am keeping them for when my kids (5 months, 3 years) are my age (32), for them do with as they please. I figure 30 or 40 years from now, when my kids are starting thier own families and buying homes and such, they will have something, my collection, to sell and perhaps make a few dollars from.

I guess I may or may not be around to see them benefit, but I am confident that antique toys 30-40 years from now, will be valuable.

If your buying action figures to get rich down the road... Invest in some stocks or play it safe and buy RRSP's or GIC's. I'm simply saying that toybizs marvel legends (loose) are going to maintain their value.(some of the figures not all of them)

The rarity of a figure directly clashes with its demand. Sometimes a figure can be completely common, for example, McFarlane Spidey, which was mass produced, like five of them on each peg.

This figure sky-rocketed in value, I'm guessing because of the movie. Juggernaut also sky-rocketed, as well as Modern Iron Man. Juggernaut was difficult to find in stores, but M Iron Man was very common, amongst all of the Wal-Marts and TRU's I've shopped at, when he was out. They have now become rare. So the rarity of a figure could mean its price sky-rocketed, or it was just rare to begin with, pertaining to the few select figures that don't even make it to the pegs they're so highly-valued.

I don't think it matters how many times a figure has been reissued. It won't be the same as the first run. When Toybiz was doing the X-Men toys in the early 1990's, Iceman was a clear white translucent figure. In later runs, he was changed to a clear blue tint. Same figure, different colors.

Here's another analogy. I collect Air Jordan shoes. In the last 6-8 years, Jordan Brand has been reissuing original designs of Air Jordans. But to protect the originals, they made serious modifications, one of which is majority does NOT say Nike Air on them, rather they have the Jumpman emblem on them.

If and when they reissue a yellow Daredevil, I would still consider the original rare. If prices dip on that for value, I wouldn't mind dropping $25 for it over a $10 reissue. That's just me. Look what it did for the Silver Surfer rerelease. It's the same figure except there's no sign of blue over the silver, the packaging is different, and no Howard the Duck or comic book pack in. It's a cool concept to help others fill their collections. I could care less if the value dips, I started w/ Toybiz and I will TRY to finish my ML collection within Toybiz's line with what I'm missing and is of reach within my budget.

I don't think it matters how many times a figure has been reissued. It won't be the same as the first run. When Toybiz was doing the X-Men toys in the early 1990's, Iceman was a clear white translucent figure. In later runs, he was changed to a clear blue tint. Same figure, different colors.

Oh, it matters.

Mego Star Trek figures are taking a hit of their "value" now that a new company has come along making identical remake of the original figures. Why spend $60 buying a original, whose elastic can self-destruct ( if its not done so already) when you can get a all-new copy of the figure for about $15, and it'll last longer than the original.

Modern collectors are notoriously cheap, so any chance to get a cheaper remake will steer them from a more expensive original.

There will always be collectors who will continue to collect a line created by the original companies. Look at the Super Powers line or the Marvel Secret Wars line. There are collectors out there who collect vintage stuff. Just like Transformers, there are a ton of bootleggers out there and people buy these knockoffs until they can find the originals at a price they can afford. Unless the reissues are just as close as the originals, which has been somewhat in regards to the Takara reissues over the U.S. Commemorative run.

Either way, there will always be collectors of original lines by the original companies that produced them years ago. It's entirely up to the collector in regards to buying a knock off or a reproduction.

Either way, there will always be collectors of original lines by the original companies that produced them years ago. It's entirely up to the collector in regards to buying a knock off or a reproduction.

I guess this is true. It kind of depends on how meticulous a collector is. I personally collect characters than a particular toy line. So as long as the figure is in scale and matches its origins (none of those stealth beast or wolverine form the x-men series OR a repainted Doc Ock as the costume is different) i wouldnt mind the reproduction.

I wouldn't invest in them but I know I've turned quite the profit on most of the ones I've sold. Not enough to buy a Ferrari, though. Yet...

17 years ago, one of the hottest toys on the secondary market was the Blank, from the Dick Tracy toy-line. It was extremely rare in the USA, but it had been dumped up here in Canada--there were piles of them here. I considered buying about 20 of them at the old Woodwards store in Vancouver, but I realized that doing so would be risky in getting the return I wanted. Once the pipeline for these figures getting to the US opened up, the then-current asking price of $50 or so would plummet.

And it did.

Just weeks later, I saw the figures being discounted on dealer tables at Seattle toy shows for $5, which was Cdn retail at that time.

Now you hear nothing about this supposedly rare toy. Its value is negligible now.

Actually "The Blank" was never released in the United States and only saw release in Canada. It STILL sells for several hundred dollars and has never had a "negligible value."

You can search eBay...there's one currently listed with a few days left and is currently around $200...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DICK-TRACY-THE-BLANK-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

I can't think of a better investment of 80x (they've sold for at least $400 in the past) on your cash, even over 15 years.

And it did.

Actually "The Blank" was never released in the United States and only saw release in Canada. It STILL sells for several hundred dollars and has never had a "negligible value."

You can search eBay...there's one currently listed with a few days left and is currently around $200...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DICK-TRACY-THE-BLANK-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

I can't think of a better investment of 80x (they've sold for at least $400 in the past) on your cash, even over 15 years.

I was seeing them on tables for $5-$10 for years at toy shows in Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, and San Diego.

Sounds like a example of regional differences in values. Mind you, my last statement above was an assumption of its "value" , because honestly, I'm not paying much attention to that kind of toy now.

I'm actually a bit surprised other people still are though........but I guess it takes all kinds.

I wouldn't invest in them but I know I've turned quite the profit on most of the ones I've sold. Not enough to buy a Ferrari, though. Yet...

Yeah and by Ferrari I'm sure he means pinto. But at least you got your bus pass. And yes Dick Tracy figures are still worth money.

Nope, Rhinoman don't roll w/ public transportation. I've got an '04 Sebring. But, I am saving for an '09 Camaro. I'd sell every figure I've got for that bad boy...