Rise of the Silver Surfer: Fire Blast Human Torch

Tommy

My brother picked me up this Johnny Storm figure from Target today. Sadly he said all that was left was two of these, but on the bright side this was the figure I was most looking forward to. Ever since Toy Fair I've been anxiously awaiting this figure. Why you ask? Because if you remember the action figure line for the original Fantastic Four Movie you'll know that despite 5 waves of countless variations, not ONE basic Johnny Storm in his uniform was made. They couldn't even make the partially torched figures decent enough to settle for. This was the closest we got.

4t72uc0.jpg

The first figure has a fairly normal body RUINED by a fully flamed head. Second is oversized, stuck in a terrible pose, has limited articulation, and a giant spring sticking of his back for the action feature. And the third... well it's just a mess. But with a new movie comes new action figures, and Hasbro has answered my cries with a plain Johnny Storm in uniform, no BS.

a3330e77.jpg

The way they torched him up was via his accessories. He comes with a snap on chest piece, two snap on arm launchers, and two additional pieces that are meant to snap on the legs, but the sweet thing about them is that they can snap on anywhere! You can have them on the legs, the arms, you can even get two on one arm or leg, or if you really want to get crazy you can snap them onto the arms while the flame launchers are snapped on and make Johnny look really badass. All these variations you can make really increase both the play and display factor.

32ba37a5.jpg

Now I know this line of figures is in a smaller scale, and I've seen a lot of people complaining about the 5" scale, but I have to say I personally rather like this scale. Zizzle's POTC line really made me appreciate the pros of smaller scaled action figures, and while these aren't 3 & 3/4, I still find them more appealing than the 6 inchers. The reduced size allows you to display more of them in limited spaces, and they're easier to store. If you've been collecting action figures as long as I have and you're not rich enough to have a mansion I'm sure storage has become an issue, and while that extra inch less might not seem like a lot at the moment, trust me it adds up.

4dabd0c4.jpg

The figure has a good amount of articulation even with the scale drop. I counted 16 points with a ball joint head, turning upper torso, ball joint shoulders and legs, double knees and elbows, and ankles. I don't personally have a "the more the better" mentality when it comes to articulation. The basic figures from the first Fantastic Four movie had so much unneeded articulation that they just looked like crap. The same can be said about a lot of Toybiz's figures. Not to mention the more articulation the more chance of something breaking. I've always said it's about the quality of the articulation, not the quantity. There's a healthy balance to be had between sculpt and articulation, and this figure comes pretty close to achieving that. The only joints I found myself missing were the turning biceps and wrists, but all things considered I'm happy with his articulation, if anything he's got more than I expected.

638d3730.jpg

So in closing I'll just sat I really love this figure. It's gonna be a hard one to top for me, and even though I don't expect any of the others in the line to surpass it, I still look forward to collecting the rest of them. You have to keep in mind that this is a TOY, and toys are meant to be FUN! This figure is definitely fun, so I say keep an open mind and give these guys a chance before you condemn them. You might be surprised.

For a 5 inch figure this looks pretty damn cool.

glad you like it, but they will sit forever, i think everyone got their fill of these guys when they rotted on the pegs the whole summer from the last movie (and they were in scale).

dr doom is crap personified.

I don't think they will sit AS bad. The problem with the last ff movie toy line was that there was too many waves so there was like 4-5 of each character. This movie only has two lines as far as I know. We get two Johnny Storms (flame on and off versions), two Things (One with and one without a crushed tank, Surfer, Doom, Reed, Sue. So basically two lines of 4 then the fantasticar with reed as well. When I went into target today I was lucky to scoop up surfer because there were two scalpers that @##@@ snatched almost everything

Personally, I think all of the 5" movie figs are crap personified.

HASBRO has taken a GIANT step backward with their movie figs - to 1994 - and I simply don't get the appeal.

Since I prefer comic-accurate figs to movie figs, it doesn't really affect me, except I wish they'd stop putting movie characters in the LEGENDS lines.

#US1#

That Johnny isn't too bad! But sigh... none for me!

Can someone please enlighten me as to when 6" became the standard of action figures and anything less was branded with the scarlet letter? I really don't see what the problem is, it's not like they decided to suddenly change Marvel Legends to 5". They're movie lines, self contained, who cares? I kind of wish Hasbro had been in charge a year earlier and that X3 got this treatment because I really dig these little guys. I miss the days of smaller scaled action figures. I remember my brother's X-Men toys from the 90's, we had such a blast with those things. When he started getting into Marvel Legends I just never felt the enthusiasm for them, they were just too much for me. This Torch figure brings me back to those days though, the days when figures didn't have to be the biggest, or have the most detailing or articulation, back then toys were just made to be FUN! You guys have to remember they're toys and stop getting so bent out of shape about this stuff.

If anyone is interested I made a pretty good six inch Johnny. He fits in with the other movie figures pretty well. I'm new, so I'm still trying to figure out how to put pics on here. Hopefully the'll be up soon

Can someone please enlighten me as to when 6" became the standard of action figures and anything less was branded with the scarlet letter? I really don't see what the problem is, it's not like they decided to suddenly change Marvel Legends to 5". They're movie lines, self contained, who cares? I kind of wish Hasbro had been in charge a year earlier and that X3 got this treatment because I really dig these little guys. I miss the days of smaller scaled action figures. I remember my brother's X-Men toys from the 90's, we had such a blast with those things. When he started getting into Marvel Legends I just never felt the enthusiasm for them, they were just too much for me. This Torch figure brings me back to those days though, the days when figures didn't have to be the biggest, or have the most detailing or articulation, back then toys were just made to be FUN! You guys have to remember they're toys and stop getting so bent out of shape about this stuff.

i think it has mostly to do with the fact that all the other movie toys by toybiz were interchangeable scalewise with people's sizeable ml collections. why start a new size when you know people have bought a bunch of a different scale. toybiz was one of the few companies to care about scale, take a look at dc direct, they are all over the place (for example catwoman being 7 plus inches tall).

i think it has mostly to do with the fact that all the other movie toys by toybiz were interchangeable scalewise with people's sizeable ml collections. why start a new size when you know people have bought a bunch of a different scale. toybiz was one of the few companies to care about scale, take a look at dc direct, they are all over the place (for example catwoman being 7 plus inches tall).

But in the end there's no harm done because Hasbro is aware of this and is releasing a 6" movie Spider-Man line, so you can still get all the new characters in a 6" scale. And as far as FF goes, their uniforms haven't changed, so you already have their FF1 figures in 6" scale, and ANY 6" Silver Surfer works since he's so generic. The only one who could suffer is Doom (although as it stands both his 5" Hasbro figure and the BK kids meal toy feature him in his movie 1 look), but if he does end up getting that badass look from the concept art that we saw I'm sure they'd throw him in a Marvel Legends series to make up for it. So in the end we're not really missing out on anything because of the 5" scale.

It was really simple actually. It was a good thing it didn't have a ball joint head because the body was from the stretchy Mr. Fantastic with all the extensions which featured a ball joint coming from his neck. I just popped it on, and grapped the "fire" accesories from my ML Iron Fist and instant Johnny. It was really simple and the extra Mr. Fantastic was on clearence too. So it was cheap fix

It was really simple actually. It was a good thing it didn't have a ball joint head because the body was from the stretchy Mr. Fantastic with all the extensions which featured a ball joint coming from his neck. I just popped it on, and grapped the "fire" accesories from my ML Iron Fist and instant Johnny. It was really simple and the extra Mr. Fantastic was on clearence too. So it was cheap fix

Wow that's good to know! So the torch head just popped off its original body?

Yes!

Thank you so much for this review man!

The pics look great... and this makes want to buy these and see the movie desperately! :)