Marvel Legends Horror Stories

BigBearJahlon

Now that I finally figure out how to start a topic, I can ask a few questions.

What I want to know right now is for those who actually open their figures. What are some of the nightmares that you may have experienced?

I can remember opening my Giant-Man Havok and as soon as I popped him out of the clamshell, his left foot popped right off. Or with my Giant-Man Sentry, his left arm was not attached and a few friends had to tell me about using a blow dryer to heat up the joint so I could pop the peg of the arm into the socket. I can go on: damaged Hulk hands, broken parts on X-Men Classics Angel, etc. The figures would look great in the box, but as soon as you open them ...DISASTER!!!

And was it just me, but I went through two SMC Scorpions (regular & metallic green) that had broken wrists and literally two left legs.

Toy Biz was good for at least trying to replace figures that were damaged, but if you had a rare figure forget it! Any heart breaking, broken figure stories to tell?

Big BEAR

My ML Iceman's waist crumbled without me even touching the fig.

One day, he was standing proud on his ice pillar. The next day, I found him slumped over and his family jewels cracked into about 5 pieces as though She Hulk had just given him the front kick of doom. Then the whole thing collapsed into a sad pile of shattered "ice".

What I want to know right now is for those who actually open their figures. What are some of the nightmares that you may have experienced?

I can remember opening my Giant-Man Havok and as soon as I popped him out of the clamshell, his left foot popped right off. Or with my Giant-Man Sentry, his left arm was not attached and a few friends had to tell me about using a blow dryer to heat up the joint so I could pop the peg of the arm into the socket. I can go on: damaged Hulk hands, broken parts on X-Men Classics Angel, etc. The figures would look great in the box, but as soon as you open them ...DISASTER!!!

And was it just me, but I went through two SMC Scorpions (regular & metallic green) that had broken wrists and literally two left legs.

Toy Biz was good for at least trying to replace figures that were damaged, but if you had a rare figure forget it! Any heart breaking, broken figure stories to tell?

Big BEAR

Same thing happened with my scorpion figure! It just fell apart when I tried to move his arms. My Iron man series one Legends figure also fell apart in the chest area, but a tiny bit of super glue fixed that pretty quick. I tend to not open my figures but I'm always scared that when I do, something like the "scorpion incident" will happen.

Two particular incidents come to mind.

I found two SMC Scorpions on the pegs at TRU when they were first released - one for me, one for a collecting buddy. I opened one, and the left arm instantly fell off. I tried to re-attach it, but it wouldn't stay on because the "female" part of the joint was deformed. Great... So, being obsessive, I opened the other one (I hadn't yet told my buddy I had it...I know, I know...). As soon as I tried to twist the torso, the pelvis fell completely apart, and the legs fell off. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!! I was able to salvage one (1) Scorpion by removing the arm from the guy with no legs, and transplanting it onto the guy with the defective arm. Fun, huh?

The second incident was with ML 10 Mystique. As soon as I moved her left arm, the joint snapped off at the shoulder. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!! A month or so later, I found another on the shelves. Guess what? As soon as I moved her left arm, the joint snapped off at the shoulder. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!! To this day, I don't have Mystique...she ticked me off! (plus...I can't find her anywhere at a reasonable price...)

I opened my TOYBIZ ml11 ironman figure and moved it once and it came apart in hte middle... I emailed toybiz and they basicly told me to fu** off and die :S

Opened rogue from XMC and here arm fell off at the elbow, I had blades tumb come off- super glue fix, and the SHS are cool but their legs and arms pop off very easily. I hope the "new" plastic hasbro is better.

I got the Young Avengers box set adn something was wrong with all of them. Hulkling broke at the torso. Ironlads finger hinge was missing. Patriot split at the waist. When I took him out he was severed in two pretty much. And Asgardian's head peg was missing. I wound up taking it back and getting a new one. That one was fine thankfully.

Got 1st Appearance Ironman on Christmas day. His left arm broke off right at the shoulder as soon as I moved it. @grumpy@

Haven't had a new one since.

My Falcon's forearm snapped off.

XMC Angel's elbow joint broke.

One of my BAF Apocalypse legs had a deformed connection port and the peg wouldn't lock into it.

BAF Onslaught's arms won't stay on. I'm still not sure if the problem was with the arms or the body itself.

I know there's probably something I'm forgetting here but overall I consider myself lucky. Lucky in the way that with all that I've heard of common problems, I haven't gotten TOO many of them.

A flaw here and there I can deal with, but when they become routine...That's a problem!

MY BAF ONSLAUGHT'S ARMS ALSO WON'T STAY ON OR MOVE AT THE SHOULDER JOINT. I HAD A FACE OFF 2-PACK CAPTAIN AMERICA'S LEFT ELBOW PAINTED SHUT, THE PLASTIC SNAPED RIGHT OUT OF THE PACKAGE WHEN TRYING TO GENTLY MOVE IT. MY WONDERMAN'S LEGS WON'T MOVE AT ALL! I'VE HAD SOME JOINTS ON FIGURES THAT WERE GLUED SHUT, THAT I'VE BEEN ABLE FIX USEING EXACTO KNIFE. MR FANTASTIC'S LEGS COULD ONLY MOVE AS ONE AND NOT SEPERATLY. I'VE BEEN BUYING ACTION FIGURES ON A STEADY BASIS SINCE I WAS 5(18 YEARS) AND I'VE NEVER HAD I FIGURE BREAK OUT OF THE PACKAGE UNTIL MARVEL LEGENDS. WITH GREAT ARTICULATION COMES EVEN CHEAPER CHINNESE CHILD LABOUR THAT CAN'T HANDLE THE NIMBLE AND INTIRCATE JOINTS.

I have had THE worst luck with many of Tobiz's products. Mandarin(FO) was packed with two left shins, Gambit...a figure I attained twice, also had two left shins, on both figs?! My Patriot (YA boxset) arm snapped off. I have a (ML3) Ghost Rider whose shoulder suffered a clean break, and most recently my Magneto (XMC) had his hand joint snap while I was trying to free the joint.

That brings me to the next topic of discussion; has anyone else had issues with joints being seized...Falcon, Wasp, Mystique, and scores of others have had litmited to no mobilty in various joints.

Let's see...

Beta Ray Bill's leg snapped off the instant I removed him from package.

X-men classic Juggernaut' s pelvis split in 2, somehow causing the enitre figure to disassemble!

Built my Sentinel figure and it's left arm doesn't fit together right, so unless it is possitioned into the air it fllas off.

I was really excited about the AOA Sabertooth figure and when I saw it in person it looked like poo.

I have had THE worst luck with many of Tobiz's products. Mandarin(FO) was packed with two left shins, Gambit...a figure I attained twice, also had two left shins, on both figs?! My Patriot (YA boxset) arm snapped off. I have a (ML3) Ghost Rider whose shoulder suffered a clean break, and most recently my Magneto (XMC) had his hand joint snap while I was trying to free the joint.

That brings me to the next topic of discussion; has anyone else had issues with joints being seized...Falcon, Wasp, Mystique, and scores of others have had litmited to no mobilty in various joints.

Well joints wise my Sasquatch's shin (I think it's his right) is really...bendy. :huh: If I try and move it it just sort of bends back into it's original position so I'm too afraid to move it too much incase it twists loose. I'm sure if I froze it it may become brittle enough to just sort of snap loose and then become easy to swivel, but I dont think I can be bothered to go to such lengths. :P

When I started this thread, I knew that I wasn't alone, but to hear these stories is sad because a good amount of time and money goes into finding our figures, so who wants to find a dud?

I feel bad for Synch, Toy Biz used to do me ok, and by ok I mean sometimes the replacement would be the exact figure, other times it was their mystery compensation.

Now if some of you guys are interested, there are certain to "fix" figures

My story on the ML5 Silver Surfer: I had him in the package forever. Finally after the Baf thing started to hit, I slowly started opening more and more figures. (Hey they were made to have fun with). Once the nightmare with the Scoprion went down, I really wanted to make sure that my figures where in prime condition. (Man, I would be HOT if I bought a MIP figure like Kang or the SUper SKrull to find that he was damaged once opened).

Sure enough, my SS looked perfect ..until I began to test his articulation. the left arm twisted at the bicep on the left arm and popped off. My solutin: Crazy Glue to the bicep as it did not impede the rest of the arm movement, plus the wrist (glove/ forearm rotation) was intact. However, I feel that I need a new one, and I may either get the Hasbro exclusive or wait for the supposed Marvel Origins BAF set (Ronan) for the updated SS.

To my fellow collectors; #1 Star Wars Fan, Blackheart, & TheGalorian: concering pop off legs and arms: are they pop-offs or BREAK-offs? My Sentry was a pop-off. the peg wa still intact and blow-dryer heat helped me pop it back on. MY SS was a break and man, what can you do? I saw a tutorial on FigureRealm.com which corrects problems like that using pegs, screws, and glue.

Now about BAF arms, primarily Onslaught & Sentinel (Madman 1366, Hebime, & Owen Sixx): 2 remedies: paper/ tape & super-glue.

PAPER/ Tape: includes that you take either regular notebook paper or even cardboard paper (for durability) and wrap it around the peg or layer it over the hole in which the pegs attaches to and let the allow the arm or leg to stay attached without losing posebility. (Worked with my X-Men Boxset Rogue).

GLUE: now this I found on FigureRealm.com - Take the glue and lace inside the problem area and when you attach the peg, DON'T let it set!!! Instead, you constantly TURNthe peg around so that it does not get stuck into one positiion, yet allows the glue to solidify and harden and taking up rooms so that the arm or leg will not fall out.

To the Toy Collecting God of War, Ares: seized joints: I had/ have those problems with Cable, Wonder Man: either time or heat will cure that. With Cable it was if the paint on the metallic arm prevent any type of movement, especially at the shoulder and the bicep joints. I believe the heat from my original storage place and just time to slowly work with my figure and Cable is perfect now. With my Wonder Man, things are a little bit different. Everything is fine but the left arm ball-jointed shoulder. And it seems that wont be fixed unless I apply direct blow dryer heat to loosen it a bit, but right now I don't stress it. This sadly comes with the collecting territory. The good must be accompanied by some bad. I just hope that thngs get better as with Hasbro I am paying to more 2 dollars per figure to avoid these problems.

I just hope that thngs get better as with Hasbro I am paying to more 2 dollars per figure to avoid these problems.

The only problem I've had so far has been with Hasbro - My Emma Frost had two left legs. Not too concerned though, as I'm hoping to get the diamond figure anyway, but needed the original for the BAF.

Big BEAR

Hmm, my ML5 Sabretooth's left arm popped off, i'm going to try that blow dryer trick. How long do you blow dry, and how far do you have to be from the area? Did it work?

I've also got a ton of Black Panthers with broken pelvis' straight out of the package, good think I only needed them for the Sentinel parts!

Hmm, my ML5 Sabretooth's left arm popped off, i'm going to try that blow dryer trick. How long do you blow dry, and how far do you have to be from the area? Did it work?

Basically, you want to set the blow dryer on high and fan it slowly past the joint untill the joint itself is warm to the touch...NO HOT! Just warm, then slowly work it back and forth till it eases right back onto the peg...The only way I customize really. It saves so much time!

"Body Swap" Article