What got you started?

webballs

Hey guys and gals, I'm still new to this whole topic and discussion thing but I'm starting to get addicted to it. I love reading through posts and getting different views on collecting and what have you. I was just curious as to why you guys started collecting Marvel? I'm in kind of a minority since I collect and I'm a girl! Most of my other friends think its crazy to collect Marvel legends and Super hero stuff but I think its crazy to spend hundreds of dollars on shoes and clothes (not that I don't like shoes and clothes). I personally got into collecting because of a guy I was dating. He had so many toys and I just loved going over to his place to look at everything. He actually bought me my first Wolverine Figure ever (Marvel Legends series III ) and thats what got me hooked. I'd love to hear how everyone else got started!

Hey webballs, that's awesome! We are glad to accept you in our Marvel fanatacism and while you may still be kinda new to this, remember we all started somewhere. I'm more than happy to help newbies out, heck, that's why I have the database going at marvelousnews.com! Speaking of getting started and getting addicted, whoa! Let me share my story. Me and my co-worker were long-time ex-comic book fans, and we got into a relaunch of sorts of our passion for comic books, particularly Marvel. Said friend was flipping through a Wizard magazine and showed me their pics in there of the upcoming Sentinel Build-A-Figure and the previous Galactus Build-A-Figure, I thought that was the damned coolest thing ever, cool looking figures AND you get the Sentinel! My first Marvel Legend ever was Cyclops. I remember being so impressed with his poseability as I had only collected Star Wars before that and the occasional Spawn figure. In about 3, 4 months or so, in an absolutely ridiculous over zealous effort I collected just about all Marvel 6" toys, Marvel Legends, Spider-Man Classics, movie figures, etc. I was one of the many who said, "oh, I'll just collect X-Men figures and not buy the rest..." haha

As a kid I had most of the He-Man, Thundercats, SW, Super Powers and secret wars figures.

I was born in '81 and started reading my older cousin's X-Men comics in the late 80's and was hooked on the X-Men. I started buying the 5" X-men in 1991 then I had to have em all. I think I probably stopped playing with them and started collecting MOC in the mid 90's. The very first ML I remember buying was the Series 3 Wolverine at TRU. After that my ML obsession began (way after my Wolverine obsession) and I had to have em all too.

Wolvie in ATX :)

Hey webballs, that's awesome! We are glad to accept you in our Marvel fanatacism and while you may still be kinda new to this, remember we all started somewhere. I'm more than happy to help newbies out, heck, that's why I have the database going at marvelousnews.com! Speaking of getting started and getting addicted, whoa! Let me share my story. Me and my co-worker were long-time ex-comic book fans, and we got into a relaunch of sorts of our passion for comic books, particularly Marvel. Said friend was flipping through a Wizard magazine and showed me their pics in there of the upcoming Sentinel Build-A-Figure and the previous Galactus Build-A-Figure, I thought that was the damned coolest thing ever, cool looking figures AND you get the Sentinel! My first Marvel Legend ever was Cyclops. I remember being so impressed with his poseability as I had only collected Star Wars before that and the occasional Spawn figure. In about 3, 4 months or so, in an absolutely ridiculous over zealous effort I collected just about all Marvel 6" toys, Marvel Legends, Spider-Man Classics, movie figures, etc. I was one of the many who said, "oh, I'll just collect X-Men figures and not buy the rest..." haha

Awesome Ryno, thanks for accepting me! I ended up getting almost all of the x-men classics, spider-man, hulk figures the same way. I thought, I'll just get this one since its the only one I really like, then I got another one and another one. Pretty soon I had them all and I still wanted to get variant figures!

Well my first action figure was I believe the 90's animated Carnage figure. Man that thing was awesome. He had a removeable mask. Attachable weapons. He was bitchin'. My first legends though was the Thing. He was amazing. After that I got hooked to it.

my first action figure probably a thundercats. have been off and on but the past few years i have been collecting avidly. it's kinda dying out but i know i'll always be here for it. mavel legends...probably deadpool got me into them but have always been a marvel fan.

Speaking of getting started and getting addicted, whoa! Let me share my story. Me and my co-worker were long-time ex-comic book fans, and we got into a relaunch of sorts of our passion for comic books, particularly Marvel. Said friend was flipping through a Wizard magazine and showed me their pics in there of the upcoming Sentinel Build-A-Figure and the previous Galactus Build-A-Figure, I thought that was the damned coolest thing ever, cool looking figures AND you get the Sentinel! My first Marvel Legend ever was Cyclops. I remember being so impressed with his poseability as I had only collected Star Wars before that and the occasional Spawn figure. In about 3, 4 months or so, in an absolutely ridiculous over zealous effort I collected just about all Marvel 6" toys, Marvel Legends, Spider-Man Classics, movie figures, etc. I was one of the many who said, "oh, I'll just collect X-Men figures and not buy the rest..." haha

Creepy... That's about my story to the word... exact same situation

finaly picking up wave 1 ironman on clearance at WM for about $1ish... of corse after that my WM never got ML in again untill wave 9 :S So it was a royal pain the ass to find here

I've always been a fan of superheroes, I've been pretty much raised on them. I remember growing up and watching the Animated Series of X-Men, Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Batman Beyond, and then eventually I started to get into comics. When I was at the mall one day, I saw a Punisher figure, and since I had just started to really get into the Punisher I picked it up. After that, I got every Marvel Legend I saw. Now I've got a massive collection, and I'm just about done since Hasbro took over. The last one I might get is the Stan Lee one. But that's about it. I feel a sort of sense of completion, but also a bit of dissapointment seeing as how there was more characters that I wish were made by Toybiz.

Nuff Said

Well I collected the various Marvel lines back in the 90's and finally managed to sell them all off a few years ago.

I noticed ML on the pegs from time to time but I stayed away. Even though I saw a bunch I really liked, I stayed away. Transformers (my #1 collection) eat money like there's no tomorrow so you can see why.

Then I saw the first BAF. I was tempted, but resisted. Then, when I saw Sentinels I broke. I came into work one day and found the complete set with Variants and I bought them. The rest is history.

....And yeah, I did eventually get the Galactus series and every series since.

The first figure I picked up as an adult was the original 5 inch multi-poseable Spider-Man. I thought it was awesome, though of course it totally sucks by ML standards.

It started when I first started to play "Hulk Ultimate Destruction" for the PS2, my girlfriend's( wife) dad got me it for X-MAS in 05. There was these robots called Hulk-busters in the game and I thought they were bad ass, so on my monthly comic pick up of Punisher and Hulk I saw that they were selling a toy called the Iron Man Hulk-buster from some line called Marvel Legends after that I saw they were coming out with a build-a-sentinel and that was it. My wife has regretted telling her dad to buy me that Hulk game ever since. @smilepunch@

great question...

what got me into collecting was the DC vs Marvel crossover. I thought it would be great if two packs where released haveing those battles. If Street Fighter vs Marvel two packs where released, why not DC vs Marvel? That never happened though,haha, so i started to look for "definitive"figures to recreate those battles.

I started on e-bay to look for Spider-man and saw the Spider-man classics line. They were out for a while in the States and i really wanted to get some spidey figures, because i never got the figures from the cartoon, and watching these great plastic renditions made me start to look for them on webstie, giving up the chance to finding them in mexico.

One great day, walking though the toy aisle , i saw something resembling the package of the SMC...I watched again, and there he was, Spidey in all his super articulated glory. I immediatly grabbed it and went home to open it.

I got hepatitis at that time, so, I had to be isolated from my family, in another room, and had Spidey, hanging on the wall on those lonely times, hehehehe.

Then I thought. "if they did spidey, why not cap, iron man, wolvie..." I started to look if those figures ever existed, and that´s how i discovered this site, joined and got the news of the first ML series right here.

Oddly enough, my first ML fig, was the Gold Iron man variant.

I guess it started with the cartoon, Spiderman and his Amazing Friends from the '80s. It was a cool show for its time and I used to remember waking up early on Saturday mornings to catch it. That and other shows like Dungeons & Dragons, the Incredible Hulk, Turbo Teen, Wheeled Warriors, and many other classic cartoons. Through animation, I got the interest of drawing, drawing things like Voltron and Thundercats. Then somewhere in the late 80's, a neighbor of mine showed me some comic books and ever since then, I've been reading comic books. All my lunch money and allowance went to comic books. Then in the early 1990's, Toybiz comes out of nowhere w/ these X-Men/X-force figures. A friend of mine told me they were at the local Kmart, the very first wave in which Iceman was translucent white rather than blue in later releases, and I scooped them all up! I still have those same figures to this day MOC at my parents' house!! Over the years, I would pick up reissued Tranformers figures, more X-Men figures like Ninja Wolverine and Ninja Psylocke, and of course the huge Marvel figures from Toybiz in generic boxes, I think they were like 10" or 12".

I didn't get into Marvel Legends until series 3, while working at Toys R Us. I remember opening tons of cases of series 1 and shrugged them off, I was in college at the time and I was more worried about paying my bills on time while trying to finish college and making it out here in San Diego. Getting interested around series 3 wasn't too bad as far as catching up, KB's had their own "Best of" wave of ML's and I scooped up the Human Torch, both the regular and variant ripped shirt Hulk, Iron Man, and the Thing!!

I guess I've always been a fan of superheroes and giant robots. As of today, I've got about ten 30 gallon bins of MOC stuff ranging from Marvel Legends to DC Superheroes and Transformers!!!

I met spiderman while watching spiderman cartoons with my brother and his friends. I was hooked, something about that little bugger. Afterwards i started reading the 3 comics of spiderman ( asm, ppssm, wosm ) Then when secret wars came around i expended into 20 different lines of charators comic books, avengers, iron man, hulk, capt america, xmen, thor, etc etc etc. I gathered the secret wars figures from linoel playworld and thats how figures came to be my quest. I only buy marvel, no dc for me, today haveing nearly 1400 sealed marvel figures in my collection. I still strive to finding more. I too, am a female.

Great to hear there are female collectors out there!!!! Welcome to TNI and the world of action figures/comic books!!! =)

Hello to Webballs and the rest of the collectors in the room.

Glad that we can get a female perspective on collecting. As for me, I don't want to ate myslef, but I grew up on action figures. I always lved drawing so my father taught me tricks and bought me action figures and comic books to read. I was young enough to remember the Megos and the 3 - 4 inch figures that were similar in size to the Super Powers series. I actually starting collecting for myself with the Secret Wars figures. Later on Toy Biz took over and I was able to get figures from my favorite team, the Avengers.

After collecting through most of the 90's, I finally gave up on collecting figures and comics for a long time. However, while surfing the net in 2002, I was looking for old figures like Thor from Heroes Reborn and found that they were going to make a new Thor for a line called Marvel Legends. Sure enough, like fire shut up in my bones, the need to collect and own had hit me and I eventually found both a Thor and a Wolverine as Christmas presents. The rest is history. I collect all sorts of stuff now. Toy Biz/ Hasbro stuff mostly such as: Spidey, Hulk, X-Men, and even Batman, DCSH, some DC direct (man, those prices are killer), and hopefully, the up-coming Legendary Comic Book Heroes.

Now that I went through all that, can anyone tell me how to start up a forum, because I have some questions and I want feedback from you guys (and gals).

Thanks,

Big BEAR

I always loved superheros, I used to wear my Batman Pajamas all the time around the house (in fact I still do and I'm 25! Kidding) I had all of the secret wars, he-man, thundercats, superpowers et. figures. Later I started collecting all of the 90's toybiz marvel stuff and when the Legends came along, well I just had to get everything I could.

I guess I've just always been a greedy little jerk that way.

Welcome aboard!

I was always a comic book fan and had collected the Marvel Toybiz 90's lines almost religiously. I stopped after the lines became too gimmicky, and swore I would never touch a superhero line again.

I wasn't sold on the Marvel Legends right away even though the first five series had already been out. I almost caved on the Hulk Classics when they first hit since Hulk is my favorite character from comics, but I backed off on purchasing them.

Then wave 6 came out, and I saw Juggernaut. I was floored by the size and sculpt of the figure. This was the look I always wanted for this character. I bought him immediately! Then I started getting all the heavy hitters from ML, Hulk Classics, and Spidey Classics. Once the BAF waves hit, I was a ML junkie. Now, closing in on 300+ figures, I can honestly say I'm hooked! :)

They're great lines to collect, but be careful it's addicting! :D

Hiya 'Balls,

I got started collecting Marvel stuff because I was interested in the short-lived SuperHero Showdown figures. I've been collecting Star Wars and GI Joe (3.75") for years and saw these SHS figures as a good opportunity to expand into other lines in a similar size. I bought some of the figures to make the Marvel Legends BAF Sentinels and then was just plain hooked. Now I'm into ML, DC Direct, and basically just about anything I find cool.

Anyway, welcome to the group.

-Y

Lets see, I think my first Marvel figures were Famous Covers classic Storm and Phoenix. They hand always been my two favorite characters. Then my liitle brother destroyed them and i couldn't find them again. So I picked up ML Phoenix and loved her. When ML 8 came I got the whole wave (except Black Widow because for some reason I couldn't find her) and the rest is history.