GIJoe 25th Anniversary Filecards, Variants & More

JayC

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would they waste a spot on a red ninja/satan figure. It doesn't make sense. Though looking at the image, it does look that way...

Because all they have to do is repaint Storm Shadow. I'd rather see that that no figure at all if they couldn't afford to just make a totally new one.

Not sure what to think about the whole Satan add but dig the other nine.Now comes the question of reusing parts.I'm not against it as long as it makes sense.Some of the part's I feel will be reused are listed below-

1.Beach Head-Snake Eyes v1 body?Gung Ho body?New head?New vest?

2.Lady Jaye-Good chance of a new sculpt.

3.Buzzer-Duke torso?New head?Possible new legs and arms?

4.Serpentor-Bet it's the pre armor shirtless version featured in issues 49 and 50 of the comic.That would work for me.Gung Ho torso and arms?New legs?New Head?

5.Cobra Soldier-straight repack from 5 pack.

6.Firefly-Snake Eyes v1 body?Same head as Beachhead?New web gear?

7.Satan-No reason to be in the 25 at all.Straight Storm Shadow repaint.

8.Stalker-Snake Eyes v 1 body?Flints head?

9.Shipwreck-Dukes arms and torso?Possible new legs??New head?

10.Zartan-Gung Ho's torso and arms?New legs?May share new legs with Buzzer??

I wouldn't put any of this past Hasbro.

When I think of the 25 most popular Joes a few names instantly come to mind....Cobra Commander...Destro...Snake Eyes....Duke...Storm Shadow...and Red Cobra?

Not happy about Serpentor either, but at least he makes some sense. If I don't like him I just won't buy him. Wish those two spots has been Ripper and Torch instead.

But what really has my blood boiling is the Shipwreck. Not cause I don't want him, quite the opposite in fact. What's got me mad about him is that he has short sleeves AND gloves. Why don't they use his arms for Flint? That would make a lot more sense.

But I'm not all doom and gloom...the rest of the line up looks good, and I'm pretty happy about it. And I hope now that we've pretty much figured out who the last ten are that actual pictures of them won't be far behind.

can we just say HELL YES!!! A NEW SERPENTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! @firedevil@ @firedevil@ @firedevil@ @firedevil@ @firedevil@ #US1# @firedevil@

But what really has my blood boiling is the Shipwreck. Not cause I don't want him, quite the opposite in fact. What's got me mad about him is that he has short sleeves AND gloves. Why don't they use his arms for Flint? That would make a lot more sense.

Well, we haven't seen the pics yet.. so we don't know.. they did redo some of the pics. so I can see them pulling a fast oe and giving our shippy long sleeves and no gloves.. :o

@lol@

Keep in mind though, Flints card art has him in his short sleeves and gloves, and the figure itself has neither.

Maybe Shipwrecks gonna have rolled up Duke sleeves also? @loll@

Well, we haven't seen the pics yet.. so we don't know.. they did redo some of the pics. so I can see them pulling a fast oe and giving our shippy long sleeves and no gloves.. ohmy.gif

Keep in mind though, Flints card art has him in his short sleeves and gloves, and the figure itself has neither.

Maybe Shipwrecks gonna have rolled up Duke sleeves also? guitar.gif

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :: rips off all his cloths and goes running naked into the night. ::

Wasn't it reported here that the line would continue after the initial 25?

Yep.

I was looking back on our earlier discussions when all this news of the 25th anniversary line hit the boards, and everyone was wondering WHO all would be included, and I put together my choices, and wasn't TOO far off....

http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showtopic=2033277

Beach Head got in there over my Hawk and Rock-N-Roll selection, but not too far off on the Joes. Did worse with the Cobras though.

Another point brought up in these discussions, was the inclusion of Serpentor, and if so, would he come with his Air Chariot?

Maybe not huh? :(

OH..I need to find the topic where GSCBR gave me sh@# for asking if we'd rather have a V1 25th Storm Shadow figure REPAINTED as a satan figure, instead of the V2 Storm Shadow, same mold, but at least a different character @lol@ and he criticized my lack of intelligence (basically) in Hasbros marketing prowness, and how that wouldn't be wise (or something to that tune) ^_^

Looks like we're getting ALL 3, but thought it rather amusing, if it does end up being the Satan figure, the image shows it to be.

Give ol' GSCBR a big :Pphooie on yooie!

probably because Shipwreck wasn't produced until after Flint, so his parts can't be used for a figure that was been made before him. that would be like asking why did Hasbro make the JvC Gung Ho t-crotch when they could have used the VvV wave 7 Gung Ho figure, which was o-ringed? whether it is 2 months or two years doesn't matter, parts can't be used before they exist. you can only reuse parts that are made prior to the figure being made, not after. the fact that Shipwreck is being released after Flint should answer your question.

why would they waste a spot on a red ninja/satan figure. It doesn't make sense. Though looking at the image, it does look that way...

who said a spot is being wasted? unless Hasbro says an Alpine figure will never be made directly because they are making a Satan/Red Ninja, and they can only do one or the other, the figure isn't taking the spot of any other character. did the 83 Duke, which was already available as a mail away, take a spot from another character that was released later? what character did we never get simply because Duke, Major Bludd or Cobra Commander were released on card despite already being available via mail away? the same princple applies. just because a character gets released doesn't mean it is being done so at the expense of another. perhaps budgets demand that there always be one repaint in every wave. If Hasbro instead just packed in an extra figure of one of the other characters already in the wave, would that extra figure being wasting a spot for another character that wasn't getting produced? no, it wouldn't. same thing.

OH..I need to find the topic where GSCBR gave me sh@# for asking if we'd rather have a V1 25th Storm Shadow figure REPAINTED as a satan figure, instead of the V2 Storm Shadow, same mold, but at least a different character @lol@ and he criticized my lack of intelligence (basically) in Hasbros marketing prowness, and how that wouldn't be wise (or something to that tune) ^_^

Looks like we're getting ALL 3, but thought it rather amusing, if it does end up being the Satan figure, the image shows it to be.

Give ol' GSCBR a big :Pphooie on yooie!

I accept that challenge and will find that post! although, I don't remember that conversation. but then who can keep track of all the times I have criticized you.

UPDATE:

Aha! Found it:

How many here, would have rather just seen a straight repaint of the 25th anniv. Storm Shadow V1 as Satan, instead of the V2 SS they did?

not me, I would much rather have v2. and I am sure when consumers voice their opinions with their purchases, it will be seen that they too don't mind the v2 repaints. v2 Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are going to have so much more of an appeal to the casual Joe or toy collector than internatrional repaints that only hardcore Joe fans know exist. it would be absolutely asinine for Hasbro to release these niche characters so early into the line which is meant to attract consumers based on nostalgia or new collectors (including kids) based on the new dynamic figures themselves. releasing v2's appeals to both those two groups, but international variants eliminates one half of them. which do you think is better for the future success of the Joe line, a potential consumer base that is twice as large or half as large?

though the debate isn't exactly as you describe it. I took the position of which collectors would want more, not that they wouldn't want the repaint at all. I guess we'll see now, whether the SS v2 is more popular, or whether the repainted SS (whether it be Satan/Red Ninja/Shadow Strike) turns11 out to be moreso.

probably because Shipwreck wasn't produced until after Flint, so his parts can't be used for a figure that was been made before him. that would be like asking why did Hasbro make the JvC Gung Ho t-crotch when they could have used the VvV wave 7 Gung Ho figure, which was o-ringed? whether it is 2 months or two years doesn't matter, parts can't be used before they exist. you can only reuse parts that are made prior to the figure being made, not after. the fact that Shipwreck is being released after Flint should answer your question

But we don't know the mold (IE: The parts) didn't exist in time for them to be used on Flint. Given that it take 9 months from start to finish for a from scratch figure to be made, I don't think it's complete out of the question that molds were being made for Shipwreck before they started working on Flint.

Or rather why wasn't Flint given new arms that could be used later on Shipwreck? They clearly knew they were making a Shipwreck, and that the parts could be shared. Hasbro has desgined figures in the past with future uses in mind, why couldn't they have done the same here?

And you know it's not unheard of for a figure to take parts from another figure even if that figure didn't come out first. The best example of that would be Ice-Armor He-Man and Battle Fist from the MOTU line. Ice Armor He-Man was made from the molds for Battle Fist even though Battle Fist didn't come out till after IA He-Man. You could say that no it was the other way around, but the Four Horseman confrimed that Battle Fist came first. So we have an example of a remolded figure coming out before the figure it was remolded from. That might happen a lot more then we know. This is the only time I've ever seen anyone comment on it either way in an offical capacity.

Just because a figure is on the shelf first doesn't mean it was made first. You have to take scheduling into account on that.

If I recall, General Hawk said that the 25th line was originally intended as a pair of 5 packs, and singles were added after retailers pushed for more product in the style, as such, wave 1 was done on a fairly short time schedule, hence the reused characters and parts. From what I understand, wave 1 singles are due in June, but wave 2 isn't due until September. That is a fairly significant gap between releases, so it still stands to reason that Hasbro simply did not have time to tool new upper arms for Flint (which could then be used on Shipwreck). Either way it is a moot point to argue as we don't know whether or not such parts existed in time for Flint's production run.

Kinda surprised by Satan's appearance, but that kinda proves Hasbro had plans beyond 25 figures LONG before the announcement was made, possibly even before Toy Fair. Probably a good thing these didn't leak sooner, otherwise we'd have tons of gripes about getting a red Storm Shadow taking a slot :P

I eagerly await pics of the next round of figures, but I think Satan (or whatever he ends up called) will be among the first 25th figures I don't get.

As long as the soldier is just a single pack and not a repaint I will be happy. I don't want a Cobra rainbow army @grumpy@

I think there might be minor differences, but nothing like the various Valor vs. Venom Viper repaints. My long standing suspicion is that Hasbro is going to follow a Star Wars model with the line, and we'll see fewer changes in paint scheme in favor of a simple rerelease for iconic troops.

I undestand the complaints about getting Satan instead of a major, recognizable character, but I personally think its cool. Maybe it'll be the one per case figure, and there'll be an extra army builder! That way, collector's get what they want on both ends: something to search and long for, and a huge army of Cobra Soldiers!

If we are getting Zartan and Buzzer, I'll be pretty upset if we don't get Zaranna, Torch and Ripper early on, too.

probably because Shipwreck wasn't produced until after Flint, so his parts can't be used for a figure that was been made before him. that would be like asking why did Hasbro make the JvC Gung Ho t-crotch when they could have used the VvV wave 7 Gung Ho figure, which was o-ringed? whether it is 2 months or two years doesn't matter, parts can't be used before they exist. you can only reuse parts that are made prior to the figure being made, not after. the fact that Shipwreck is being released after Flint should answer your question.

Is that fact or theory?

Do you really think they didn't know what all figures they were making for the line, when they started tooling the molds and whatnot? The order of which they're releasing the images, does not necessarily indicate the order of which they're being MADE.

That's a reasonable assumption, amongst nothing BUT assuming....by us ALL! Hasbro excuses and positive assumptions always carry more weight though..right? ;)

who said a spot is being wasted? unless Hasbro says an Alpine figure will never be made directly because they are making a Satan/Red Ninja, and they can only do one or the other, the figure isn't taking the spot of any other character.

I don't see Alpine anywhere on the shadowy images of figures yet to come. @hmmm@ Is it permissible for some to assume he WON'T be made, therefore giving merit to ones assertion that Satan MIGHT be a "wasted spot" if such a character (like Alpine) isn't made instead?

It's just a matter of opinion anyway, if you'd rather have an Alpine instead of a Satan, but the fact still remains, that firefly69 would have preferred something other than an Satan, if the ENTIRE character list isn't redone for the new line.

Seems logical enough?

Do you really think they didn't know what all figures they were making for the line, when they started tooling the molds and whatnot?

I still maintain that it was simply a matter of timing. Hasbro needed to get these single carded figures out in June, and focused on tooling what they felt were the things most in need of new tooling (heads, harnesses, etc) in order to get the product line out. If the card is accurate in regards to waves, Shipwreck isn't even due until wave 3, which (from my best guess given I've been told a September date for wave 2) won't be out until at least October if not November. Wave 1 is hitting in June. That is at least a good 4-5 month difference in releases

And Satan IS a wasted slot. I'd take damn near anyone, including repacked Battle Pack figures, over a red Storm Shadow.

Do you really think they didn't know what all figures they were making for the line, when they started tooling the molds and whatnot?

I still maintain that it was simply a matter of timing. Hasbro needed to get these single carded figures out in June, and focused on tooling what they felt were the things most in need of new tooling (heads, harnesses, etc) in order to get the product line out. If the card is accurate in regards to waves, Shipwreck isn't even due until wave 3, which (from my best guess given I've been told a September date for wave 2) won't be out until at least October if not November. Wave 1 is hitting in June. That is at least a good 4-5 month difference in releases

I don't know anything about the operations behind a toyline like this, so I can't do anything but speculate (like everyone else, non educated on the cradle too grave aspect of a toys production) on it, but I wouldn't think it was such a RUSHED or PANICKY operation, so much so that they had the order dropped in their lap on Monday and were expected to have some product to advertise by Friday, for an entire lineup, for the 25th anniversary of G.I.Joe? Seems like that 25 year mark would have already been anticipated on, foreseen and planned for?

Now it's like they're scrambling to get even the first 25 together for us, and pooping out quick figures to fill it, or give us "extras" because we're so excited?

I suppose it's possible. Not very organized, but possible.

And Satan IS a wasted slot. I'd take damn near anyone, including repacked Battle Pack figures, over a red Storm Shadow.

I'm not thrilled about it either, knowing it's just another SS...in RED! :rolleyes: whoopie!

Guest DavAnthony
As long as the soldier is just a single pack and not a repaint I will be happy. I don't want a Cobra rainbow army @grumpy@

I think there might be minor differences, but nothing like the various Valor vs. Venom Viper repaints. My long standing suspicion is that Hasbro is going to follow a Star Wars model with the line, and we'll see fewer changes in paint scheme in favor of a simple rerelease for iconic troops.

I think that would be a good move on their part. The Star Wars model seems to be one that works. I don't know if it will work for GiJoe but I think it has a good chance of working out. Plus I think Hasbro needs to have some fun with the line as they do with Star Wars. They've come up with a few clones that weren't in the movies but they looked cool and they fit in the star wars "universe". If they did the same thing with GiJoe (which there is alot more leway in) then I think they will make the line fun and interesting as well.

Oh yes.

We'll be seeing the trooper and the officer in every flavor you can think of.

And I think that's totally fine. I don't have to buy it all. I don't have to be a completist.

I, for one, am looking forward to many repaints of both (and other figures that will show up eventually, like the viper or the crimson guard).

I can see both getting the python patrol treatment, getting done in all-black (ala blackhole Stormtrooper), jungle camo, etc. You name it.

But first repaint I predict?

STINGER DRIVER.

Bring it on, Hasbro!!!