Lucas: 'Spider-Man III Is Silly'

Bespin refugee

Geeze...it's not bad enough that he disrespected a colleague by dismissing his work, he had to add that Star Wars was also thought to be silly, "...but it isn't." I really hope he was misquoted or something. It's just pompous and doesn't seem like something he'd say at all. (Like I personally know George Lucas and what he'd say...) (lol)

meh, more power to him. i too felt spiderman 3 was "silly" how's its disrespectful for him to say that about a movie and it isn't when people say similar things for his movies? its like what we normal people do when we get in the car after a movie and either praise it or bash it to peices. i personally wouldn't have said it was silly exactly. i would have said it sucked ;)

if they got better actors for sw it wouldn't have seemed so silly (i mean II and III). and i for one, didn't have many problems with phantom menace.

Oh I agree PhoenixSword, I mean as far as Lucas having the same right as anyone else to have an opinion about a movie. It just seems that the forum is inappropriate. He's being critical of a fellow director in a very public way as opposed to, say saying it to a friend standing in line at Starbucks or something.

Wow, what a jerk, such a moron. Substance? Episode 1 and 2 of Star Wars lacked Substance, theres barely any story in those films. The story is all pretty much in 3, which I think at times is very silly. Lucas has let his fortune go to his head. The Spider-Man series is way better, considering it has a much more solid continuity than Star Wars with its ridiculous plot holes.

Well, I guess I'm alone on this one. To me the prequels had a very solid story. The planing and political scheming of Sidious was literally ingenious. After taking ROTS into account, the growth of Anikan makes sense and is truly well done. Set colors alone in all 3 film s were well done in terms of defining the mood of the stories:

PM, bright ghey colors along with happy (and sometimes annoying) muppets...defined a time that was at one time peace and worry free. AOTC: colors are not saturated at all, more greys and dark tones are coming into the mix, no muppets are gone, more grizzly characters. ROTS, flat out darkness, reds, dark hues of every imaginable color, we are geting into the color mix of ANH which is Black and White.

Now as for spiderman having substance? you're kidding right?! I saw 1, 2 and all I have to say is damn Spider/Parker is nothing but pure whinny. My Gawd, in 2 that's all he did in the whole freak'n movie was whine, nonstop "I'm going to throw this suit away whaaaaaa". And now in 3 he has to contend with not only the responsibilities of his powers (which he whines endlessly about in 1 and 2) I can only the imagine that emotional roller coaster ride Spidy has in store for us dealing with the dark nature of the black suit. I understand what the whole message is and all but it's a little too special service message for one who is well beyond their 20's. The spiderman I remember was sarcastic, NEVER WHINED, and was man enough to accept his responsibilities oh and NEVER let the entire west end of New York see his true identity much less trusted people with that kind of knowledge, "Oh know we wont tell, we promise" (spider man 2 if you don't get it).

Yes I have to agree with Lucus, Spiderman is silly, at least the way he is interpreted in these movies.

Beside's he's not Spider man any more, he's spiderparker. Don't forget, MJ, Ozborn and half of New York knows what the guy in the spandex suit looks like.

Wow, what a jerk, such a moron. Substance? Episode 1 and 2 of Star Wars lacked Substance, theres barely any story in those films. The story is all pretty much in 3, which I think at times is very silly. Lucas has let his fortune go to his head.

Lucas is quite reknown for being a very quiet man, and quite humble, as well as very charitable.

There's a funny story about the model shop back when Star Wars was in production--that the crew there were being visited by this quiet guy who'd ask all kinds of questions about what they were doing.

It didn't occur to them until well into the picture that it was Lucas, the director!

• 1 month later...
Well, I guess I'm alone on this one. To me the prequels had a very solid story. The planing and political scheming of Sidious was literally ingenious. After taking ROTS into account, the growth of Anikan makes sense and is truly well done.

I have to agree skullfire; I loved how Palpatine/Sidious was behind the scenes pulling all the strings. It was fascinating to think of someone orchestrating a scheme that broad over such a long period of time. To be honest one of the things I looked forward to the most was how Palpatine was gonna "come out" so to speak in the end. How would he reveal his true identity and intentions? And I have to say, in that regard, Lucas didn't disappoint. And even when he did reveal himself, he did it in such a way that made it seem justified. That was the cool part of it. Brilliant. And it was fascinating to see how Anakin was slowly lured into the trap. Yes, that part of the Saga was ingenious.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd much rather watch Phantom Menace over Spider-man 3 any day. Lucas is right about SM3. It was definitely a huge disappointment, especially considering how well made the previous two movies were.