GIJoe 3 3/4" 25th Anniversary Figure Update (New Images)

The Wire

I'm still lost on why not having short sleeves is ok, but not having gloves is the worst thing that could ever happen.

At least we can agree that it looks like he fell short of hopes, even if we don't agree on the reasons he did.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if the one pic of CC has his logo photoshopped and enlarged.. if you look at it real good, something looks off on the logo on the 5-pack CC

EDIT: actually the first CC and Soldier pics, look at the logo on them, it just looks odd.. I wonder if they digitally added them in on those two

I'm still lost on why not having short sleeves is ok, but not having gloves is the worst thing that could ever happen.

At least we can agree that it looks like he fell short of hopes, even if we don't agree on the reasons he did.

^_^

I'm with ya buddy! I took a royal ass chompin' on all that bizness with the Duke body/Flint body=good enough for whoitsfor fiasco. I'm almost numb from it all now, so the gloves are just kinda like....."oh well".

@lol@

Exactly. I mean I want him to have gloves too, but at this point he doesn't have short sleeves, he doesn't have the big barrel chest, what does it matter if he also doesn't have the gloves.

The sleeves aren't as noticeable. Now that the swivel-wrist articulation isn't hidden by the gloves, it just looks plain bad. Basically, not only isn't it accurate, it's made worse by the fact that we've got a point of articulation that could have been easily hidden.

It's sad really...we've made gripes like this ever since GvsC debuted, and Hasbro STILL manages to mess things up. And it's usually little nit-picky things that just drives us all crazy. Take the controversial Flint for example. They used Duke's body for most of his mold? Fine. He has rolled-up long sleeves? Okay. Then the "final" loose pics emerge. Awesome. I was all set to love this figures as-was. No complaints. Then all of a sudden, Flint appears in a carded pic with NO FRIGGIN' GLOVES??!! WHAT THE HECK HASBRO??!! Man...that just bugs the HECK outta me. And here I was getting so excited over that particular figure. *sigh* I'm this close to agreeing with Vending Machine, but I'm gonna wait. I'm just so very tired of getting my hopes up, only to have Hasbro do something lazy/inconsistent like this. Grrr...

I will say though the rest look good, and I love the details in the sculpts and the gear like with the straps and pouches and such. There are some nice touches. I think I'll be okay if they just fix Flint's hands. That just seems like such a eregious mistake on Hasbro's part, to up and change his forearms like that inexplicably...

I really wish they take notes from Takara/Tomy concerning their Transformers Masterpiece line. Now THAT'S how you update classic designs. They go all-out for those things, and that's what I was expecting Hasbro to do with this anniversary line. I'll just have to be like everyone else and wait and see if they deliver. Despite my gripes I'm still excited about these.

Aw, man... You know I didn't even notice that he was the same mold as Duke until today? Now I see why the sleeves are bothering everyone. You know what? That's really lame... This was looking like a really awesome line until the bits of laziness/inconsistency started becoming apparent. I'll wait and see as well, but I think I'm going to cancel my preorders. You're dead on with the Transformers Masterpiece line comparison. It's disappointing because it's SO CLOSE, too.

If they wanted to do repaints they should have done more of the original 13 characters. It would have been totally appropriate, but not for Duke and Flint...

The sleeves aren't as noticeable. Now that the swivel-wrist articulation isn't hidden by the gloves, it just looks plain bad. Basically, not only isn't it accurate, it's made worse by the fact that we've got a point of articulation that could have been easily hidden.

Totally.

I'm still going to buy it just because it looks better than the JvC Flint. This is probably our last shot at these guys. If they're 4" though, forget about it.

Well I guess "aren't as noticeable" is a relative thing then. Cause I would have noticed the sleeves first and then the missing gloves if I'd never seen a picture before the carded one.

I can't believe Hasbro bends over to accommodate a collectors market that continues to piss and moan about every positive step the company makes. Grab your sculpy, throw a band around his wrist, and paint the hand black. The end, quit your moaning.

I dunno. Objectively speaking (if that's possible at all),

I believe many of these are better incarnations of the characters. Better than their vintage counterparts ever were.

For instance,

As a kid, I didn't really like the Flint figure that much. I didn't dig his face gesture, I thought he was tiny, etc. I just didn't think he looked like the cartoon or even the card art. But as years went by, I grew to appreciate the fig and it's become one of my favorites.

The same could be said about nearly all of the other characters they're making for the 25th anniversary line. There's 3 exeptions I can think of, though:

1) Duke: the vintage fig didn't do his character justice and this one's even worse. Vinty Duke looked like a queer, this one looks like a kid. What's up with that.

2) Roadblock: while body's perfect, I'm worried about his face sculpt. He may be suffering from 25th Duke's syndrome.

3) Storm Shadow V2: While I actually do like the figure, I think the vintage one captured the character's essence better. New one looks a bit cartoonish and less hardcore. Still a good figure.

But as for the rest... I think they all look like great (if not excellent) versions of the characters they're supposed to be representing. Even if they don't look EXACTLY as the cartoon/comic/card art, I feel they do capture the essence, spot-on in many cases.

Scarlett never looked this good. She's GREAT. I mean, for god's sake, not only does she look exactly like she's supposed to, she also looks hot! (Vintage Scarlett was a shame in this sense).

Both Snake Eyes (V1 and V2) look really, REALLY hardcore. As a kid I always considered SE v1 to be "uninteresting" and "puny" in many ways, for instance. 25th SE V1 is the real deal. Now THAT's a commando. On V2: I guess the vinty version is very hard to outdo, so I'd put both (vintage and 25th) on the same level of awesomeness. And as I've said many times, I totally dig the change of pants and boots. I'm all for a more realistic approach.

Gung Ho? Oh boy, put vintage Duke and Gung-Ho together and you get a Village People act. Not so with the new Gung-Ho, who looks as should.

And the Cobras?

CC V1 and V2 weren't really bad at all back in the day, but the new versions are just everything I could have hoped for. Actually, NO. I wouldn't have followed the original designs 100% (as they seem to have done, in a way). For example, for CC V2, I would have used the talking CC or Battle Corps CC design (both the same sculpt). Those "hooded" CC versions are much better design-wise. Basically, I'm talking about the absence double-belt thingy that the original CC sculpt sported. Never really made ANY sense to me. And I never liked his sigil being on more on one side than the other. I wanted it to be in the middle of his chest. Talking CC and Battle Corps CC corrected this and looked much more realistic and "regal", I guess. And better captured the essence of CC. So, here's an example where Hasbro could have avoided the original designs, but didn't. Oh well :D Great figs, but I'm worried about the size of the sigils. As the commander of Cobra, his sigil should be big and mean.

Vintage Destro looked like #$@# to me as a kid (mainly because of his head). As with every other figure, I learned to appreciate it over time. But I only got what I wanted with 91 Destro. 25th Destro is a very welcome and needed update of the original design. Only thing I don't dig are his green eyes (did he still have them in the latest pic?)

Storm Shadow V1 is just kickass. Everything the vintage fig could have been and wasn't (mainly because of that HORRIBLE giant head).

The Baroness? Well, the original fig wasn't really bad at all. She was just a little on the "blocky" side, as most vintage female figures. Now, while 25th Baroness looks too much on the "thin" side, she represents the character better. This cat-like structure suits her perfectly.

As for the trooper and officer. The heads on the vintage versions always bothered me, so now we get a better deal. I think the troop lacks some detailing and looks sort of "plain", but the officer's just HARDCORE, man. He's loaded.

In essence, what I'm trying to say is:

We expect these new figures to look like what?

Like the vintage figs? Like the cartoon versions? Like the comic versions? Like the card art? Like what?

Because the vintage figs didn't really look 100% like the characters they were supposed to represent. And, in fact, I disliked many of them as a kid. We only appreciate them as much as we do now because they have achieved a "cult" status. They weren't really bad figures at all, I know, but they certainly weren't as good as they could have been (and as good as many of the figs that would come in later years of RAH).

Deep down, nearly none of the 25th figs are everything I hoped for, but I can understand why. And since I understand it, I can begin to appreciate "the new".

It's laziness, pure and simple, at least from what we can see so far. I don't care if they're 100% like the originals (though they should be 95% or so!). I'm not whining about Storm Shadow having sandals, for example - what bothers me is that Flint is basically just a repaint. They could have used Duke's body for a mail-away or exclusive Starduster, but not Flint...

The Cobra sigils are lazy too, like they just wanted to make one size to save on costs, but drastically reducing the figure's effect in the process. Those tiny logos just don't cut it, because just about EVERY Cobra army builder with the sigil in the middle of his chest had it a certain size, and these, being much smaller, just don't look right at all.

Does Hasbro have to accommodate me? Of course not, unless they want people like me to buy them, and people like me are ready to buy the whole set, maybe another to keep carded, and 30+ troopers and officers, provided they don't get lazy on the details.

It's funny b/c I know the endless stream of repaints bugs the hell out of a lot of folks here but man do I love them. Maybe I should have been a Star Wars collector but every repaint I end up army building all over again.

It's funny b/c I know the endless stream of repaints bugs the hell out of a lot of folks here but man do I love them. Maybe I should have been a Star Wars collector but every repaint I end up army building all over again.

suckerys3.png

@smilepunch@

I assume you're talking about Clones, though, right?

They could do repaints of the Cobra Soldier mold all they want - black uniform UK style, Night Watch style, Python Patrol style (and of course double those numbers because of the Soldier and the Officer). Heck, even Duke could be made into a Tiger Force Duke or Starduster. Use the V1 Snake Eyes parts for Grunt, Stalker, etc... But Flint is a MAJOR character - probably top two in the series (at least the cartoon), definitely top five. He should not be a Duke repaint, ever.

I dunno. Objectively speaking (if that's possible at all)

It's always "POSSIBLE"! It just seems (more and more) it's not tolerated or WANTED! ^_^

I believe many of these are better incarnations of the characters. Better than their vintage counterparts ever were.
That's what you call "objective"??? @hmmm@

Oh..unless you meant being objective towards classic ARAH figures, in favor of the new ones? Then you're right on target with it. errrr...with objectively speaking towards ARAH stuff that is. ;)

nearly all of the other characters they're making for the 25th anniversary line. There's 3 exeptions I can think of, though:

1) Duke: the vintage fig didn't do his character justice and this one's even worse. Vinty Duke looked like a queer, this one looks like a kid. What's up with that.

:( I liked the smile on Dukes face. Smiling with confidence, like a proud leader, doesn't make one look....."queer", does it?

I don't like the face, lack of expression, zombie-fied teen look of the new one either. No personality for the big guy. At least the original had charm, you knew he was somebody important, because he was gleaming. ;)

***btw...I'm in NO way endorsing the use of the word "queer" here, just quoting it.

2) Roadblock: while body's perfect, I'm worried about his face sculpt. He may be suffering from 25th Duke's syndrome.
Agreed! He looks like a zombie Cupey doll! @grumpy@

Scarlett never looked this good. She's GREAT. I mean, for god's sake, not only does she look exactly like she's supposed to, she also looks hot! (Vintage Scarlett was a shame in this sense).

Agreed again! V1 Scarlett was lame-o mongoloid-o! This one looks great.

In essence, what I'm trying to say is:

We expect these new figures to look like what?

Like the vintage figs? Like the cartoon versions? Like the comic versions? Like the card art? Like what?

I just want them to look like little action figure SOLDIERS that would be fun to play with, like I did when I FIRST saw them 25 years ago. Of course I was too old THEN as I am (even more so) NOW, to "play" with them literally, but you all know what I mean. That little boy in us, that still remembers the fun times playing with our soldiers in the back yard, and STILL having that imagination working inside our brains, that inspired us to act out all the great stories and adventures with them. We see these toys now, and think to ourselves..."MAAAAN if I was still a kid and had THOSE toys to play with, I'd be doing THIS with'em!" so we settle for what we call a "collection" of them and that justifies our interest in them.

Hasbro is touting this as the 25th anniversary of these great toys and characters, so they've already declared them to be "vintage" recreations of them, mixing in a little of EVERYTHING else to accomplish this be it....comics, cartoon and most definitely the card art. It's not so much what we're WANTING as it is what they're marketing. It's a 25th anniversary, so the old looks in a NEW style is the name of the game right now.

We're just holding them to an unobtainable goal of perfection on it, I guess due to the hype and bull. It's being advertised as "WHAT WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR...300 points of articulated Joe madness, highly detailed in their classic versions, for their 25 years of popularity!"

So for every goofy proportion problem or facial detail, or uneccessary articulation feature....we're being nit-picky and overly demanding. The repaints and mold sharing are getting pretty well panned as well. If this is the pay off for hanging in there and seeing Hasbro through all the years from 2000-present, with change after change, trial and error and eventual "hiatus"...SIGMA SIX and DTC???

I'm gonna be pretty PICKY! ^_^

Deep down, nearly none of the 25th figs are everything I hoped for, but I can understand why. And since I understand it, I can begin to appreciate "the new".

You'll have to elaborate a little more, on what it is you "understand". I know what I'd like to see, and what I WANT, and would think is "COOL", but I also know I'm not the only action figure collector/nut/fan of Joes out there, so I'm able to understand the need to please more than just ME. I relaize this, but in terms of having a discussion over it, I'm still able to cite my preferences, dislikes and so on, as THAT truly is the ONLY thing I DO have control over.

Hasbro will ALWAYS dictate how the toys are made and so forth, so all I get to do, is like it, buy it..or dislike it, not buy it, or buy it anyway and store it for completion sake or as custom fodder. Seems Hasbro makes out pretty good regardless either way. Monetarily that is. They might have their feelings hurt, if they were to read some of the sh@# we say about their product, but I bet the bottomline means more than fan appreciation? ;)

I assume you're talking about Clones, though, right?

They could do repaints of the Cobra Soldier mold all they want - black uniform UK style, Night Watch style, Python Patrol style (and of course double those numbers because of the Soldier and the Officer). Heck, even Duke could be made into a Tiger Force Duke or Starduster. Use the V1 Snake Eyes parts for Grunt, Stalker, etc... But Flint is a MAJOR character - probably top two in the series (at least the cartoon), definitely top five. He should not be a Duke repaint, ever.

I hear you, really I do. And I may be a sucker :) but each and everytime I buy the d@mn things.

I prefer my repaints to be of the hoards of nameless troops but if I like the figure, like the Snake Eyes - Spy Troops figure mold, then I support repaints and reuse (ala Desert Camo Duke that could be converted to Desert Camo Snake Eyes and the multiple Iron Grenadier repaints, especially the Walmart Snow Camo model).

I can't yet comment on the Duke/Flint situation as I don't have them in hand yet but from first glance I really don't have a problem with it. This could be that I quite often customize my figures by changing out parts and applying copious amount of Flat Testors to them but it just doesn't raise my hackles all that much.

I say bring on the hundredth Alley Viper repaint and I'll toast my glass and pull out my credit card.

Like I said, it's a bad habit I've gotten into.

suckerys3.png

@smilepunch@

OK, that quite rocks! LOL @loll@

;) Just know...I'm WITH ya!

Being the Cobra ARMY-builder I am, I get suckered in on all the Viper repaints and multi-versions as well! It's brutal.

We're just holding them to an unobtainable goal of perfection on it, I guess due to the hype and bull. It's being advertised as "WHAT WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR...300 points of articulated Joe madness, highly detailed in their classic versions, for their 25 years of popularity!"

So for every goofy proportion problem or facial detail, or uneccessary articulation feature....we're being nit-picky and overly demanding. The repaints and mold sharing are getting pretty well panned as well. If this is the pay off for hanging in there and seeing Hasbro through all the years from 2000-present, with change after change, trial and error and eventual "hiatus"...SIGMA SIX and DTC???

I agree completely, except for the "unobtainable" part. I'm fine with them not being exactly RAH-style - I know not everyone agrees with me on that part, but that's not what I'm talking about. Style isn't so much the issue as execution, and they're SO CLOSE to being a perfect RAH Anniversary line except for some pretty major issues.

I don't think it's nitpicky to ask that Flint NOT be a repainted Duke. As far as I'm concerned, it's like releasing a so-called "ultimate" Jazz Transformer that's a white repaint of the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime with a different head. We're talking about the guys who are second and third in command of the whole GI Joe team and two of the most popular characters of the entire line (arguably, Duke is THE most popular). I mean, even if they're going to share, say, the torso, put SOME effort into the figure and change the arms at the very least.

Oh come on.. lets be reasonable... Jazz and Prime.. that's like saying Duke and Quick Kick... at least be reasonable in your examples.. here's one for ya.. Prime and... I don't know Ultra Magnus :P

I agree completely, except for the "unobtainable" part. I'm fine with them not being exactly RAH-style - I know not everyone agrees with me on that part, but that's not what I'm talking about. Style isn't so much the issue as execution, and they're SO CLOSE to being a perfect RAH Anniversary line except for some pretty major issues.

I don't think it's nitpicky to ask that Flint NOT be a repainted Duke. As far as I'm concerned, it's like releasing a so-called "ultimate" Jazz Transformer that's a white repaint of the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime with a different head. We're talking about the guys who are second and third in command of the whole GI Joe team and two of the most popular characters of the entire line (arguably, Duke is THE most popular). I mean, even if they're going to share, say, the torso, put SOME effort into the figure and change the arms at the very least.

but what is perfect? what you believe is just "so close" others may believe is "perfect," and vice versa. your valuations are subjective. who decides which is the right or wrong valuation? you? me? Hasbro? I guarantee you, whoever it is, it isn't going to be consistent with everybody's desires, so what perfection is Hasbro suppsoed to be trying to achieve? as been said before, what is the perfect rendition of a character or figure? the cartoon version, comic, card art, figure itself? the majority seems to be thrilled with Scarlett despite the fact that she doesn't replicate the card art, so what's the problem? there is no absolute of ANY character, so there is no one single absolute version that can be produced that can be the only way that character should look.

we all require different qualities from our toys and characters. it is a shame Hasbro hasn't produced absolute perfect new figures of the original card art, but if they did, Scarlett would look like a man, and you would complain that she should be more attractive. Nobody seems upset that Snake Eyes is wearing combat boots, not the slippers that v.1 actially wears, so how should Hasbro know which are he details that can be tweaked and which cannot? how do they know new boot styles for Snake Eyes will be fine, but long sleeves on Flint will cause an uproar. see how arbitrary that is? there is no way Hasbro could honestly know what to do and what not to do to appeal to EVERY FAN'S nitpick of what details are neccessary and which are not for EVERY character. so perfection can never be attained.

the point is it is fine to be disappointed that your ideal figure isn't produced, but that does not equate to the concepts, designs or executions that are produced aren't as perfect that can be produced -- and by that, you have to account for all the production retsraints and restrictions that go into making toys. if you are judging these against what toys could be produced in a perfect wolrd with unlimited budgets and no manufacturing restrictions, you will be disappointed in every toy that is ever released, so I really can't reason with you on that point.

also, is it your contention that rank should also dictate whether a character can be made from a repaint? that is what your Prime/Jazz argument states. I guess we can eliminate using SE's mold for Stalker now, considering he is a pretty high rank and shouldn't be a repaint. what rank structure should Hasbro adhere to in using repaints? How should Hasbro know whether a character is low enough rank to determine whether he can be a repaint? see how silly of a criteria that is? not to mention the Jazz from Prime example is simply too extreme to even remotely be considered a legitimate position. using a figure mold that does look like two different characters does not equate to using Prime, a diesel, for Jazz, a sports car, and is only similar in the sharing mold practice. but you have to ignore a key factor in the practice -- whether the outcome produces a similar looking figure -- to make it appear applicable, which only reveals its flawed position.

Oh come on.. lets be reasonable... Jazz and Prime.. that's like saying Duke and Quick Kick... at least be reasonable in your examples.. here's one for ya.. Prime and... I don't know Ultra Magnus :P

Haha, nice... I thought about using that example, actually.

I know Jazz and Prime weren't the best example to use when it came to the design differences, but considering the importance of their characters to the G1 series, it's pretty close in that respect.

Haha, nice... I thought about using that example, actually.

I know Jazz and Prime weren't the best example to use when it came to the design differences, but considering the importance of their characters to the G1 series, it's pretty close in that respect.

but importance is another subjective criteria. what exactly constitutes importance. how many appearances he made in the cartoon or comic? how many versions of a figure the character has had?

I challenge anyone who would like to participate to outline in detail what criteria exactly should be adhered to in making these new figures. what criteria dictates whether a character can be made from a a reused mold. what details are absolutes for every character that hasbro may make so they don't miss anything. this list has to be absolute, and if it contradicted by other criteria on any other lilst, it has to be thrown out. Get to it, let's see the criteria Hasbro should know they should be adhering to.

That's what you call "objective"??? @hmmm@

Oh, I meant it in this sense:

Old=good

New=bad

As in: The way we consider everything old as better or perfect only because it has achieved a cult status.

And thus, the way anything new is subjected to unrealistic demands.

So, by trying to be "objetive", I was trying to avoid such line of thought. Analyze the new offerings for what they are, not what they "should be"? Something like that!

Oh..unless you meant being objective towards classic ARAH figures, in favor of the new ones? Then you're right on target with it. errrr...with objectively speaking towards ARAH stuff that is. ;)

You lost me here!

I just want them to look like little action figure SOLDIERS that would be fun to play with.

Same here! I know I'll be playing with these things.

mixing in a little of EVERYTHING else to accomplish this be it....comics, cartoon and most definitely the card art.

Yes, I think you're right about that. They take a little something from each. And then there's some new elements, too.

Well I think they did deliver in some cases, and in some others they certainly did not.

I think we have to be picky. But not to an extreme. Just some "rational nitpicking" ( ??? ). Some will just nitpick for the sake of it and some do have justified issues with the new line.

You'll have to elaborate a little more, on what it is you "understand".

What I understand is the reason I am not 100% sold on these new figs. And thus, from my understanding of it, I am able to lower my expectations. From being fully "conscious" about it (?). 90% of the people think that lowering one's expectations is, well, LOW. "It's what losers do". Well, I dunno. Not everything is centered around my own desires and expectations.

So, all in all, I guess the way I approach this is to find that healthy balance called "cautious optimism" or something like that :)

I, for one, am not sold on some of the figures at all (I named 2 or 3 cases). Others are "fine" and then others are just KICKASS. So it's not that I'm saying it's all fun and games, there are issues, yes... but then not everything is "black or white" in life. There are gray areas... in fact, that's pretty much how the world is... GRAY!

Cheap philosophy :D

I want a 25th SE V2 NOW!

damn, lots of posts in-between. Gotta catch up.