GIJoe 3 3/4" 25th Anniversary Figure Update (New Images)

The Wire

Here's all I gotta really say about Flint:

I supported Hasbro, tried to keep things in perspective and generally became the Hasbro cheerleader around here. I've supported them through questionable decisions and products.

But if I don't have gloves on my Flint I (with viper hunter I'm assuming) will raise an unholy hell to the gates of Hasbro themselves!!!!! @horse@ @rambo@

With...ME???? :o

Maaaan...I bet that took EVERY ounce of strength to type, didn't it? hug.gif

@smilepunch@

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really? because you do not like them that means they won't appeal to a large enough customer base? interesting concept.

You honestly think people will waste their money on shoddy paint aps (which have plagued us since Joe vs. Cobra), wonky proportions, and overall lackluster/fugly design flaws--especially considering the latter waves of Valor vs. Venom saw an absence of such problems and yet people STILL didn't buy them? Interesting concept.

you don't like them, fine. but no need to proclaim the lines failure because you don't. these figures success or failure doesn't depend on your personal preferences. sorry if that is upsetting or surprising to you.
I'm sorry if you have the poor judgment/taste to like these wastes of plastic, but most consumers are more discerning than you are. If we were looking at figures that even remotely resembled the prototypes, I wouldn't be here complaining right now, because I think that most would agree that those figures are, indeed, nice. These are NOT those figures, but rather something less. Sorry if the fact that these figures look to be of poor quality rocks your world, but, well, too bad for you.

you want to be critical, be critical. that's fine. nobody is criticizing you for not liking the figures. but proclaiming that the line will fail is not being critical, it is a prediction without merit, and it is unnecessary and arrogant, not critical, because it is based on your opinion (and an opinion is not always a critique even though the acts can share similarities) that nobody will like the line because it doesn't meet YOUR standards and nothing else, and anyone who does not have your standards is somehow deficient in their preferences, as if your standards are the absolute standard that a toy's quality is judged by.

and nowhere in this thread have I even remotely given my opinion on these figures. as far as anyone knows, I could be just as disappointed in them as you with how they have turned out. who knows? but to jump to the conclusion that I love them just because I disagree with not only your prediction but how you illogically and egotistically came to it reflects an extreme defensiveness that obviously clouds your ability to view things rationally, including these figures. disputing your claims of prophecy and know all of consumer interests in no way is a defense or applaud of these figures, just as your opinion of them in no way reflects the opinion of the entire toy buying public. maybe you should have named yourself AFA instead of Vending Machine if your opinion is the end-all-be-all of action figure quality.

I supported Hasbro, tried to keep things in perspective and generally became the Hasbro cheerleader around here. I've supported them through questionable decisions and products.

But if I don't have gloves on my Flint I (with viper hunter I'm assuming) will raise an unholy hell to the gates of Hasbro themselves!!!!! @horse@ @rambo@

@smilepunch@

It did, and it made me feel dirty. I had to spend an hour in the shower afterwords @cry@

@smilepunch@

These figures look amazing.. I so want the Cobra Officer and SE. I just have one question though... why are both Cobra Commanders wearing Diapers?

Let's just say they don't call him the "big snake" just because he runs a worldwide terrorist organization determined to rule the world ;)

I wonder why we still haven't seen Duke without his helmet?

My thoughts exactly! I do hope Flint eventually comes with gloves or heck all new arms. I noticed Hasbro still hasn't learned how to pose these figures for pictures. :)

They also changed the artwork of the Snake Eyes Version 2 card to match his "combat boots" instead of the plain black feet with ankle holsters the original V2 had.

They've changed the artwork on all the carded figures.

They also changed the artwork of the Snake Eyes Version 2 card to match his "combat boots" instead of the plain black feet with ankle holsters the original V2 had.

They've changed the artwork on all the carded figures.

Dang I just noticed that. So I went and looked at pictures of the orignal cards and these new cards and whoever "modified" the artwork did a good job. On SE I noticed the boots, belts on the right thigh, strap going from his belt to lower left thigh and sword were all changed. On SS the bow, sleeves, part of his shirt, and backback/swords were changed. But it still matches up pretty well.

I just noticed the pictures of Flint with gloves on, are just the hands of Gung Ho painted Green, and stuck on Flint. His Left hand has the watch showing, which you can make out on some of these new pics, on Gung ho now.

I'm not liking the way these hands are constructed on them all that much anyway, with the swivel joint on up the forearm like it is, instead of at the wrist, and the awkward appearance of them, are pretty evident on the Duke figure and Gung Ho. Unless their forearms are perfectly cylinder and smooth, it's going to look funky, when rotated at certain angles, where it won't be flush with the rest of the arm.

Duke almost looks like he has some crippling arthritis in his hands. Even the Cobra Soldier, has a funky twist in his wrist in the one pic, not to mention how (ever since somebody pointed it out) he looks like he has saggy tits and a fat wrinkly gut. @lol@

So...do any of the experts know which are the prototypes and which are the final versions, we'll likely see at retail? Has the final version even been decided on and revealed yet? If not, will our concerns and gripes help iron out any of noted errors on the pre-finalized versions?

Inquiring minds wanna know....who knows what, and when did they know it? @loll@

People keep saying that they won't judge until the figures are on shelves, and that these are justy prototypes. I 've followed Hasbro for awhile, and these new pics seem to be the final product, regardless of whether they are in stores yet or not. The early (decent prototypes) were where they still had time to fix things. If production hasn't finished, it has definitelly started and this is what they look like.

Even if these were still prototypes, I can't name a single time in any toy company where the final product looks better. Prototypes are always the A versions of the sculpters, and the final product always takes a few hits in quality.

People said the same thing with ML series 1, they were just prototypes, they still had time to fix them. Well, the finaly product was just like the prototypes.

I do believe these are final.

Having said this, here's what I think:

The Joes:

Duke's still the least interesting of the bunch. But then, the vintage figure wasn't very exciting either. In fact, he looked stupid. Still, they could have made him a little "meaner" now that they had the chance. Still waiting to see a helmet-less pic. He looks boring as hell. Actually, he looks bad. And the cut joints on his forearms don't help.

Scarlett looks GREAT! Yes, her face looks weird on her sides, but otherwise she's perfect. The pics that surfaced some days ago (a production sample) didn't show her with her accessories, especially her belt, which works great on her.

Roadblock was never interesting to me, but he looks totally decent. At least the body. Waiting for a helmet-less pic of him too. A cartoonish headsculpt could kill it.

Gung-Ho: looks as he should look. nuff said. Not a character I'd die for, anyways. But the sculpt is adequate.

Snake Eyes V1: Perfect... but we knew this already, anyways.

Snake Eyes V2: I REALLY dig this update. I even dig the use of pants and boots. And by the way, his boots are no longer gray, as the previous images had suggested. If I could only own 1 figure from the entire 25th lineup we've seen thus far, this would be it. Timber looks bad, though.

Storm Shadow V2: Looks great. Would have liked his "tetris" camo to be more noticeable, though. Perhaps a darker gray. Aside from that, a neat figure. I know he doesn't look exactly like the vintage design, but I can live with that. He even has the tattoo, as we had previously noticed. I'm wondering if he comes with the claw? I don't think I saw it anywhere in the blister.

Flint: Hasbro, what the fakk? It's not that the absence of his gloves is that big of a deal, but why did you remove them at all!?! Makes no sense. And those forearm cut joints stink. Otherwise, a great figure IMO. I just don't get it.

The Enemy:

CC V1: Yep, legs look too long. But it's an optical illusion of sorts. Here's why: the reason the legs look long is that his chest looks short (which, actually, is not). This is due to the way they handled the joint at his belly. They used the second (upper) belt for it. And thus, when you look at him, it feels as if his chest only started from his upper belt and upwards. Does this make any sense? I'm not trying to justify it at all, just trying to explain why I think it looks weird. The designers should have noticed. Still, it's not a big deal to me. I kind of dig the look it gives him... maybe his longer legs make him more "reptile-like" or something. Now, where did his neck go? I'm still getting him. Best CC ever... except for the new Hooded CC, of course!

CC V2 (hooded): This is the CC to get, IMO. Suffers from the same problems CC V1 has, except for the absence of a neck. And I always liked his hooded persona more, anyways. The "flowing" of the hood is not drastic at all and he really, really, REALLY looks like he just came out of a joe comic book or the cartoon. And that's good.

Destro: He's always been my favorite character, but I wasn't very crazy about the previous images of his new plastic incarnation. However, the new pic (a front shot) changed my mind. I REALLY dig it. The only thing that looks a little bad is the holster. It looks too big (perhaps if it wasn't red, it wouldn't be so noticeable). Other than that, an excellent and much needed update. Can't wait for Iron Grenadier Destro!

Storm Shadow V1: Perfect. Can't wait to play with it. I'd like a complete list of what his gear is comprised of. Excellent update. As much as I always loved the vintage "ninja" sculpt, the headsculpt always looked ridiculous to me. Even as a kid. Here's hoping we'll see this sculpt repainted in all kinds of colors and flavors :D Long live SATAN!

The Baroness: I'd still like a bigger and clearer pic of her, but she looks fine. Like Destro, I always had a crush for her. Anyways, it seems we'll finally get a Baroness that isn't blocky (like the vintage, as much as we may like it) and doesn't look like shite overall (like every other version that came out after the vinty one). Still waiting for better pics, though.

Cobra Trooper: Hmmm, while I like him, I think he could have been more "detailed". He looks kind of "plain" on some areas. Still a great figure and I hope the helmet IS removable after all. BTW, he could have come with a bigger rifle (?).

Cobra Officer: Now THIS is what I'm talking about. I know he's supposed to have a bigger or more "heavy duty" chest accessory than the trooper, but still. Totally kickass. I agree about his rifle though. Bad Hasbro, bad.

So what are the main problems with the 25th ann. figs, anyways?:

1) Some look a bit cartoonish (especially Duke)

2) Some have "funny" proportions (like CC)

3) Some sport subtle differences in relation to their vintage counterparts (nothing too bad)

But I think they've "got it where it counts", overall. While some are not very interesting (or downright bad, like Duke), others REALLY shine, in my humble opinion.

And this is always how it is.

So... how long till Hasbro releases a running change on Flint?

I think some of the problem with that Cobra Commander is the way they have him possed. I don't feel the hooded version looks bad and it uses the exact same body. Theo ther problem is with his COBRA isignia. It's too small. The original Cobra Commander didn't have much of a neck either IMO.

The Baroness' legs are freakishly long.

I agree that Flint looks better with the gloves but he still pretty cool looking.

Now that I've had some time to mull these over...

So far, Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes (both versions), Gung Ho, Roadblock, Destro, Storm Shadow (both versions), & the Baroness look great, probably better than the "before" shots (I think the Baroness is just posed and shot badly). I'm REALLY glad they gave Gung Ho a more RAH-like blueish tone to the camo.

All the figures with Cobra logos on their chest look much worse (except Storm Shadow and the Baroness), because the logo is noticeably smaller. You who think these are production samples for whatever reason think what you may, but I have a feeling these will be changed. I mean, look at the Cobra trooper (probably the most notable example) - the emblems on his chest and arm are exactly the same size! Hasbro's made mistakes in the past, but I don't think they'll release them like that. They probably only had one "stamp" or whatever they use ready for the photo deadline. One exception is the officer, who, having a silver emblem, would have required a different stamp, and his is the correct, larger size. I really doubt he'll have an emblem bigger than the troopers' or Cobra Commander's.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure there's no hope for an officer with an AK, but that's easily remedied through Marauder if one chooses.

Flint, I agree, looks bad without the gloves. This is also something I think they'll fix, as they're bound to get bad feedback on this. Hasbro tends to hide those points of articulation with gloves whenever possible (see Star Wars), and I have a feeling we'll see them back for production, because this change just doesn't make any sense.

@smilepunch@

Count me in as well. Word-for-word.

A last minute switch like this can ba a valid case for Hasbro truly being "cheap," and it really would detract from Flint. . .since he flies with those gloves and all.

-PJ

I do believe these are final.

Having said this, here's what I think:

The Joes:

Duke's still the least interesting of the bunch. But then, the vintage figure wasn't very exciting either. In fact, he looked stupid. Still, they could have made him a little "meaner" now that they had the chance. Still waiting to see a helmet-less pic. He looks boring as hell. Actually, he looks bad. And the cut joints on his forearms don't help.

Scarlett looks GREAT! Yes, her face looks weird on her sides, but otherwise she's perfect. The pics that surfaced some days ago (a production sample) didn't show her with her accessories, especially her belt, which works great on her.

Roadblock was never interesting to me, but he looks totally decent. At least the body. Waiting for a helmet-less pic of him too. A cartoonish headsculpt could kill it.

Gung-Ho: looks as he should look. nuff said. Not a character I'd die for, anyways. But the sculpt is adequate.

Snake Eyes V1: Perfect... but we knew this already, anyways.

Snake Eyes V2: I REALLY dig this update. I even dig the use of pants and boots. And by the way, his boots are no longer gray, as the previous images had suggested. If I could only own 1 figure from the entire 25th lineup we've seen thus far, this would be it. Timber looks bad, though.

Storm Shadow V2: Looks great. Would have liked his "tetris" camo to be more noticeable, though. Perhaps a darker gray. Aside from that, a neat figure. I know he doesn't look exactly like the vintage design, but I can live with that. He even has the tattoo, as we had previously noticed. I'm wondering if he comes with the claw? I don't think I saw it anywhere in the blister.

Flint: Hasbro, what the fakk? It's not that the absence of his gloves is that big of a deal, but why did you remove them at all!?! Makes no sense. And those forearm cut joints stink. Otherwise, a great figure IMO. I just don't get it.

The Enemy:

CC V1: Yep, legs look too long. But it's an optical illusion of sorts. Here's why: the reason the legs look long is that his chest looks short (which, actually, is not). This is due to the way they handled the joint at his belly. They used the second (upper) belt for it. And thus, when you look at him, it feels as if his chest only started from his upper belt and upwards. Does this make any sense? I'm not trying to justify it at all, just trying to explain why I think it looks weird. The designers should have noticed. Still, it's not a big deal to me. I kind of dig the look it gives him... maybe his longer legs make him more "reptile-like" or something. Now, where did his neck go? I'm still getting him. Best CC ever... except for the new Hooded CC, of course!

CC V2 (hooded): This is the CC to get, IMO. Suffers from the same problems CC V1 has, except for the absence of a neck. And I always liked his hooded persona more, anyways. The "flowing" of the hood is not drastic at all and he really, really, REALLY looks like he just came out of a joe comic book or the cartoon. And that's good.

Destro: He's always been my favorite character, but I wasn't very crazy about the previous images of his new plastic incarnation. However, the new pic (a front shot) changed my mind. I REALLY dig it. The only thing that looks a little bad is the holster. It looks too big (perhaps if it wasn't red, it wouldn't be so noticeable). Other than that, an excellent and much needed update. Can't wait for Iron Grenadier Destro!

Storm Shadow V1: Perfect. Can't wait to play with it. I'd like a complete list of what his gear is comprised of. Excellent update. As much as I always loved the vintage "ninja" sculpt, the headsculpt always looked ridiculous to me. Even as a kid. Here's hoping we'll see this sculpt repainted in all kinds of colors and flavors :D Long live SATAN!

The Baroness: I'd still like a bigger and clearer pic of her, but she looks fine. Like Destro, I always had a crush for her. Anyways, it seems we'll finally get a Baroness that isn't blocky (like the vintage, as much as we may like it) and doesn't look like shite overall (like every other version that came out after the vinty one). Still waiting for better pics, though.

Cobra Trooper: Hmmm, while I like him, I think he could have been more "detailed". He looks kind of "plain" on some areas. Still a great figure and I hope the helmet IS removable after all. BTW, he could have come with a bigger rifle (?).

Cobra Officer: Now THIS is what I'm talking about. I know he's supposed to have a bigger or more "heavy duty" chest accessory than the trooper, but still. Totally kickass. I agree about his rifle though. Bad Hasbro, bad.

So what are the main problems with the 25th ann. figs, anyways?:

1) Some look a bit cartoonish (especially Duke)

2) Some have "funny" proportions (like CC)

3) Some sport subtle differences in relation to their vintage counterparts (nothing too bad)

But I think they've "got it where it counts", overall. While some are not very interesting (or downright bad, like Duke), others REALLY shine, in my humble opinion.

And this is always how it is.

So... how long till Hasbro releases a running change on Flint?

Good in depth review Gentleman. :)

@smilepunch@

A last minute switch like this can ba a valid case for Hasbro truly being "cheap," and it really would detract from Flint. . .since he flies with those gloves and all.

-PJ

@Smoke2@ I've gotta stop smokin' weed man. It's making me hallucinate! ;)

So...do any of the experts know which are the prototypes and which are the final versions, we'll likely see at retail? Has the final version even been decided on and revealed yet? If not, will our concerns and gripes help iron out any of noted errors on the pre-finalized versions?

Inquiring minds wanna know....who knows what, and when did they know it? @loll@

My well-informed guess would be that it would be the same versions as the Scarlett figure that was recently bought overseas and posted on YoJoe.com.

I think you know the one I'm referring to.

-PJ

Thanks you two!

One more thing about Scarlett: The sample that surfaced over at YoJoe's forums had the "leg problem" many pointed out (that the parts didn't seem to be attached well enough to each other), while the new pic, as seen on TNI, looks correct (or at least much better in that area). Maybe it's been fixed.

By the way, the removal of Flint's gloves seems VERY deliberate to me :D

It's just one of those things we'll never understand, like LFL not approving the 2nd VTSC Hoth Han headgear (eons better than the one Hasbro went with).

@smilepunch@

-PJ

@Smoke2@ I've gotta stop smokin' weed man. It's making me hallucinate! ;)

Sign of the end of days if I ever saw one

And I don't care about the gloves. The Sleeves are wrong, and the chest is wrong. What's it matter if one more thing is wrong. At this point it just doesn't matter to me anymore. They could slap Destros head and Cobra Commanders legs on him and I'd still have the same sense of "They could have done better" that I have now.

I don't get why the chest and sleeves being wrong is ok, but if he doesn't have gloves it's a crime. He's already not accurate to the orginal figure, what does it matter now.

One exception is the officer, who, having a silver emblem, would have required a different stamp, and his is the correct, larger size. I really doubt he'll have an emblem bigger than the troopers' or Cobra Commander's.

Actually, I just noticed that even the officer's sigil is tiny in the pic of him in package... I guess which version they go for in production will determine whether I get this line now... I was excited when they looked like (more or less) PERFECT updates of the RAH characters, but details like Flint's gloves are starting to bother me. The tiny sigils will REALLY bother me, as it looks NOTHING like what we've seen on Cobra Commander and Cobra army-builders, and may cause me to just forget about the line altogether. I mean, I'm not going to spend $150+ (and that's not including army-building) on an imperfect product when it was so close to being, imo, perfect. I could just as easily spend the money on more vintage stuff.

I've officially gone from a "definitely will buy" attitude to "wait and see"...

It's sad really...we've made gripes like this ever since GvsC debuted, and Hasbro STILL manages to mess things up. And it's usually little nit-picky things that just drives us all crazy. Take the controversial Flint for example. They used Duke's body for most of his mold? Fine. He has rolled-up long sleeves? Okay. Then the "final" loose pics emerge. Awesome. I was all set to love this figures as-was. No complaints. Then all of a sudden, Flint appears in a carded pic with NO FRIGGIN' GLOVES??!! WHAT THE HECK HASBRO??!! Man...that just bugs the HECK outta me. And here I was getting so excited over that particular figure. *sigh* I'm this close to agreeing with Vending Machine, but I'm gonna wait. I'm just so very tired of getting my hopes up, only to have Hasbro do something lazy/inconsistent like this. Grrr...

I will say though the rest look good, and I love the details in the sculpts and the gear like with the straps and pouches and such. There are some nice touches. I think I'll be okay if they just fix Flint's hands. That just seems like such a eregious mistake on Hasbro's part, to up and change his forearms like that inexplicably...

I really wish they take notes from Takara/Tomy concerning their Transformers Masterpiece line. Now THAT'S how you update classic designs. They go all-out for those things, and that's what I was expecting Hasbro to do with this anniversary line. I'll just have to be like everyone else and wait and see if they deliver. Despite my gripes I'm still excited about these.