Magneto vs. Thor

ransomz

So I was looking at my new Thor and my new Blob, and the new Blob happened to be next to Magneto. I got to wondering if Thor and Magneto fought, would Magneto be able to control Thor's hammer. It's made out of Uru metal, but it's still metal. Have they fought before?

we (a couple of customers and myself) had a similar conversation this weekend at the LCS. It was like a paper, rock, scissors scenario but with more weapons. The end agreement was hulk and thor are both bad@$$ and should not be messed with. my question is, when both return from exile/inactivity, who will angrier?

Hulk will be much more pissed off than Thor, but i have a feeling Thor's gonna be pissed off at Iron Man cause of the clone.

I actually hope Thor will be one of the guys that are gonna be on Hulk's side, wouldn't that be odd to see!!!

If not, he'll be welcomed back Hulk style!!!

First, that's a pretty cool picture of Thor smashing Superman. But Second, my question wasn't so much who would win, but rather do you think Magneto would be able to effect Thor's hammer at all? Has he ever tried it? Even though it's magic, I'd think he'd still have some kind of influence over it.

The hammer is supposed to return to Thor's hand at command, plus Thor's strength and grip might make pulling it away difficult so I doubt Magneto could just take it from him with magnetism. Deacon Dispair is probably sick of me preaching about how awesome Thor is, but I came to the conclusion that he could whoop Magneto, but it'd be an awersome fight if they were both at the height of their powers.

Thor over Magneto ? possibly but unlikely. Remember, a fight, a conflict is not always settled in hand to hand combat or even in the gross power of the fighter. Magneto has a far superior intelligence and as anyone knows, a powerful mind is hard to beat.

I dont know how the fight would go, but I have to think Magneto would have a plan for Thor and that Thor being the fried tomato of a brain that he is, would fall for it.

And this is why I love working/frequenting comic shops and boards. These are the discussions that I like. We are talking about Magneto v. Thor, the lifelong question of brains v. brawn. Hulk being pissed. Thor being cloned. Magic vs. Magnetism. Yessss!!!!! Keep it up. I may now have to pose my Magneto and Thor figures for battle. Good stuff. What if Thor invokes Odin when battling Magneto. Could that be the trump card?

We could assume Magnus would not be able to lift Thor's hammer, even if it is metal, because the hammer is magically enchanted so that only Thor can lift it. However, in the Ultimate Avengers animated movie we saw Hulk actually lift Thor's hammer, throw it at him, and knock him out. So if Hulk's raw strength could lift Mjolnir, then it's not out of the question that Magneto could also magnetically lift the hammer and turn it against Thor. Too bad, Thor, looks like you'll be getting your butt kicked this round.

guess I am the only one who thinks Magneto would clean Thors clock! Many of you think Thor is this super bad ass. Well I think he is a long haired sissy. In fact click the link below to see what happened when Thor vs Magneto REALLY happened in Marvel Comics. Bet many of you didn't know this:

MAGNETO can control URU and Lightning or rather electricity is a by product developed by magnetism. Thus making any lightning virtually uneffective vs the master of magnetism. Let's face it, very few are more powerful then Mageneto, and I don't buy the Xmen EVER being able to take him. All the Avengers, yea, but the Xmen...hell no!

http://www.marvelmasterworks.com/thor/jim109.html

and just for fun has Magneto ever fought the Hulk? Answer: YES! check out the link below:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/alphatum.htm

Hope this has been helpful and educational. Moderator can now close this topic down.

Sorry, but that one link shows Mags controlling the hammer, not Thor. So, I think I just punched a hole in that theory. Besides, Thor is the Son of a God and that trumps everything but being an actual God. And Magneto is no God, just a mutant. A damned, dirty mutant...

Uh oh Rhinoman you are guilty of what every man does with a Playboy magazine, just looks at the pictures. If you actually read the issue, you will find that Magneto wrapped Thor so tight in metal he was unable to move an inch and had to change back into his filthy doctor Blake look to escape. Theory hole is now plugged. Gods, unfortunately are not supreme. Oh in our real life people treat them as such. In the comic book world tho, every god walks the Earth (except the most powerful, Jesus Christ, who isnt tough enough or cool enough or something, go figure). Thor has been bested by Hulk many many times, Superman, Magneto, and Silver Surfer. None of which are Gods, only massively powerful. His power is not limitless, it has a cap. Thus establishing he has a cap, we can point out people, not gods that exceed said cap of Thors' strength level. Don't even get me started on his fighting style or smarts either, cuz he lacks in both those departments worse then strength! How bout that? Good Game!

Well, you're half-right, anyways. I tend to read the articles AND look at the purty ladies in Playboy. I like to stay informed. But I am guilty of not reading many comics as a youth. My knowledge of comic lore is meager at best. Thanks for the info...

I think you'll find that Thor turning back to Dr Blake was a move of intelligence... He worked out that he could escape by becoming physically smaller... which IMHO shows he has smarts... And that fight in particular ended when Magneto ran away because the X-Men arrived.

Thor's power of the storm could easily overpower Magneto's vague attempts to control electricity. Thor can fly wheras Magneto can only levitate. Thor's raw strength is massively beyond anything Magneto can comprehend. Thor's magical powers allow him to perform other feats not neccessarily linked to his standard powers.

As Deacon Dispair and I have discussed, Thor's powers vary wildly by who happens to write for him at the time, with Ultimate Thor perhaps the most powerful so far. He'd crush Magneto, but nt without him putting up a damn good fight.

Thor's power of the storm could easily overpower Magneto's vague attempts to control electricity. Thor can fly wheras Magneto can only levitate. Thor's raw strength is massively beyond anything Magneto can comprehend. Thor's magical powers allow him to perform other feats not neccessarily linked to his standard powers.

Problems is with most his powers is that with out the Hammer he is not able to fly or have other powers or so we have been told one time and that has been forgotton about another, Magneto looks like he could easy get the Hammer out Thors hand With the Hammer Thor but Vs some1 who can take that away like Magneto then Thor is not that powerful or smart compared to Magneto also thor relies on his powers more then often without them he woudl be stuck.

Old Thor when he came out he was amazingly strong and then in the Avengers he is almost wrote as the big muscle guy with hardly any smarts so as Inggasson said if your talking Thor at his most powerful he would win if your talking Thor has he has been up until latly then Magneto wins.

The Argument of but he is a god so he must be mega powerful just dont work on me as just because somebody is a mutant does not mean they are the same power as everyone else in that catagree, somebody like Magneto is a top level Mutant personaly id say Thor is better then Magneto but Magneto has the means to take alot of Thor's power away what could make for a loss for Thor.

Mjolnir isn't actually made of metal. Uru's more of a mystical clay. Not that it matters, I doubt even Magneto's power could work past the hammer's enchantment. It would drop to the ground the moment he tryed to take it. Also any magnetism can be absorbed into the hammer. Thor's done this before in a confrontation against Magneto. Thor is to versitile for magneto, he has shown more abilities than any other marvel character (besides maybe silver surfer) He is on another level than magneto. Also the picture u have shown is not Thor at his full potential, that was when he still was mortal, and took the body of a normal human (Donald Blake)

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/9288/thormagneto1yu.jpg

Also Thors already defeated magneto once in Journey into mystery #110

If anyone here likes debating on comic characters like this head over to http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f77/ its a great forum with VERY knowledgeable people.

thor by far would win.......

heres what superman had to say about it ..............well, you get the point

post-583-1158700288.jpg

first off for the record when the 2 of them did fight Superman won, second the hammer is enchanted so that only a worthy "person" can lift it, so since he wouldn't actually be touching it himself yes magneato could move it around with his powers, so he could in theory throw it around and smack stuff with it, but he wouldn't be able to take advantage of any of the powers that it gives, so it would be little more then a club to him

Magneto can control metal and use it to his advantage, but all Thor would have to do is get one good hammer smash into Magneto's face, and everything would be settled.

Actually, Magneto controls electromagnetic fields/magnetism not metal per se.

That means that all kinds of things influenced by electromagnetism. He can under the right circumstances, stop the human heart, render a person brain-dead in the blink of an eye--if he so chose.

His powers have been written as disrupting global communications, being able to create force fields ( with some tecnological assistance. His powers have deflected nuclear blasts.

Lightning would have no effect upon him, as he can manipulate electric currents to the degree that he could dispel or re-direct any lightning bolt directed towards him.

Any storm effect would be disrupted by Magneto as well, because he could warp EM fields in such a way to counteract a generated storm.

Healthy, he'd be a match for Thor in a "straight" fight.

Thor's hammer wouldn't be affected by Magneto, but Magneto could well defend himself from almost any kind of physical blow--his force fields again.

Where Thor edges out ahead is in sheer physical stamina and the dimension spanning powers of the hammer. For all of Magneto's great mutant powers, he's still mortal. Thor, as a god, is possessed of physical stamina unmatched by pretty much any mortal being, with the possible exception of someone like the Hulk.

All Thor would have to do is keep up the pressure and eventually Magneto would fold.

If Magneto were able to keep up the fight, warping them both to a dimension or place that's less amenable to human life would stack the odds severely against Magneto.

In the end, Thor would still come out on top.

But catch Thor on a bad day, and Mags can hand him his lungs.

Hell, write it right and Daredevil can beat Galactus too....

I like your analysis. On a side note, I'd like to see the story where Daredevil beats Galactus. That would take some creativity.

Oh easy!

Two characters, one bad day.

Galactus has encountered something or someone, or some race out there in the Universe that can give him a run for his money. They hound/chase him from one end of existence to the other, and very low on energy, he makes his way to Earth to seek aid from the one being who not only bested him, but showed him mercy before: Reed Richards.

Landing on Earth, Galactus's energy hit a all-time low, and his height diminishes to about 10 feet tall.

He aims for NYC, and ends up in Hells Kitchen.

Now, Daredevil is also having a bad day. Whatever current storyline he's suffering thru, as there's ALWAYS something--isn't going well. And he's pissed.

So he's out and about on his patrol, doing his thang.

But there's a problem. Galactus is power incarnate, and even at a very low level of power he still generates....something. .000000001% pf power beyond comprehension is still a lot--depending on what it is, and well, Galactus is still emitting a "vibe" that seems to screw up DD's senses.

You disorient DD, have Big ( ok, not so Big) G stumbling about in a alleyway, trying to get to a place he's only ever seen from the sky( the Baxter Building, and its not like he's gonna ask directions)......and boom. They run into each other.

DD gets the sense this guy is 10 feet tall, and still "massive"--Big G wants to get past the guy and get to the FF.

DD thinks he's run into Mr Hyde or some other bruiser........again, and being so "pissed off" right now, assumes just that.

Galactus is so low on power he can only let loose a guttural roar.

The die is cast.

With his senses all screwed up, DD proceeds to make Cosmic paste out of Galactus.

And does so.

Then in part two, Big G is crawling along the ground and grabs for something........anything.

He's made his way in a total daze to the street and grabs........Aunt May's skirt.

Well, she ain't having any of this, and whacks the snot of this strange perv with her cane.

Galactus can only feebly crawl away....

And in part three, Howard the Duck has been on a drunken bender and has a full bladder, sees an alleyway and "ducks" in....

Howard cannot see straight for all the gin in him and takes his whiz in the darkest spot in the alley.

Then the thing he's whizzing on moves....

There, I made it a trilogy.

And the year-later follow-up would be part of the on-going " Dark Secrets of Willie Lumpkin" line of stories....

Now, I love the Big G with all my heart and I'd never see something like this as a serious story.

The cruz is that ANYTHING can be contrived and made to seem "logical" within just about any context.

Hence any character can take on any other, and win--depending upon how you write the story.

Fiction like this is so arbitrary that any claim about one characters dominance can easily be put to the lie by the keystroke of the very next writer.