SDCC 25th Annv. exclusive figure revealed

JoeRhyno

Based on all of the answers and specifically that it is a Cobra released in the 1990s that most collectors don't have because it was RARE, it has to be PIMP DADDY DESTRO. That is the most likely candidate. Cobra deAco (sp?) was released in the 80's in another country...I don't think Hasbro is going to start tackling foreign figures (yet). Guess we'll see who it is tomorrow.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I FEEL A MIGRAIN COMIN' ON!

f561124e.jpg

@hmmm@ Are we even ALLOWED to say "PIMP DADDY" anymore? Wouldn't want the PC Crusaders, to come after Hasbro on this! @smilepunch@

Well, if that's the case, they can have it. ^_^

I think the thing's ugly as sin, and since I don't chase "rare" items all that much (just "COOL" ones ;)) I don't find this choice (presumed choice) all that exciting, but I know G.I.JOE's not just for me.

He should be an easy-to-find-exclusive!

;)

If it IS Pimp daddy Destro, it will be the biggest dissapointment for me since the big secret in the Crying game. WHat a waste. there are SOOOO many other figures that they could have done instead. how about a redeco dukewaist/Gung Ho legs to make a Star Duster? even a CHROME headed 25th Destro? crapity crap crap....

because it is a comic convention exclusive, not a Joe convention exclusive, Joe club exclusive, or any exclusive related to G.I. Joe fans exclusively that would attract G.I. Joe fans and reward them for attending and being Joe fans. this is a tertiary convention that if attended by Joe fans is because of their interest in comics, not G.I. Joe, and thus a new figure or character just isn't appropriate to reward them. not every convention figure needs to be the most brilliant exclusive ever made, especially when it isn't a G.I. Joe event. save Starduster for a Joe convention, that will be attended by Joe fans, so the character can be acquired by Joe fans.

lets say it was Starduster, the outcry would be far worse from Joe fans who wouldn't get the figure than the outcry will be from those Joe fans who attend the comic con and simply get a repainted Destro, possibly. what next, should every niche convention Hasbro attends or promotion it undertakes to attract interest in G.I get a great exclusive figure at the expense of Joe fans who don't attend those events because they don't lie in their area of interests. maybe Hasbro should do an exclusive 25th Anniversary Falcon and only release him as a special promotion at an LA Angels game. I am sure the fact that it is a great exclusive for those who attend the game will temper the fact that it will be given out to people who have no interest in G.I. Joe...but at least it was a cool exclusive. I'm sure no one would wine that Hasbro shouldn't be releasing desired characters as exclusives that are not available to all Joe fans.

or what if Hasbro announced that the 25th Anniversay Cobra Troooper would only be made available as the comic con exclusive. would that be better since it is not just a repaint? or would not making the Cobra Trooper available for mass purchase be just alittle upsetting to Joe collectors who don't like comics or don't live in San Diego.

as a rule, Joe conventions should get great Joe exclusives because it rewards Joe fans for attending G.I. Joe events AND being Joe fans. Tertiary or niche events that Hasbro is only producing an exclusive for to draw interest in G.I. Joe from non-Joe fans should not get premiere or desirable exclusives, simply a cool figure that they might enjoy or attract them to the brand. some non-Joe fan isn't going to care if he gets a PDD Destro as an exclusive if he likes the figure, but if a chrome headed Destro is only made available to people who attend a non-Joe niche convention, there is something wrong with that practice.

but that is just my opinion on the matter. feel free to think Hasbro should release great exclusives to niche markets that are not distributed to all Joe fans. maybe Septembers Alaska comic convention should get a 25th Anniversary Shipwreck as an exclusive.

sorry for the rant. this isn't meant to be taken personally or an attack on you.

Well, since a Chrome Destro is ruled out more or less, I'd say it's a Pimp Daddy Destro. That seems to fit all the criteria so far. I know that theory has been bandied about at other boards, and it seems to fit.

Hey, no offense taken. Just our opinions. I am just REALLy dissapointed in the choice that Hasbro made. I am an avid supporter of Hasbro, always have been, but this figure just dissapoints me, as the build up of "one of the COOLEST con exclusives ever", to me, was completely false. That is just my opinion, of course. I am SURE i will try to get one, but i will DEFINITELY keep it carded. not worth openening one, unless they plan to make a 25th ann. HEADMAN for pimpy to hang with.......

Hmmm I took the with a capital "R" part to be a clue that the figs name starts with an R

I thought the same thing, which is why my guess is either Red Jackal or Red Laser. I'm leaning towards Red Jackal since they already reused the new Cobra Commander mold once, time to reuse the Destro mold now.

Given what we know so far, it can only one of four choices:

A repaint of a current character in "later" colors. Gold head Destro was in 88, for example.

A trooper made into a unique character. Scar Face using the Trooper mold, for example.

A foreign character. Cobra DeAco using the Snake Eyes mold, for example.

An uncommon 90s individual. There aren't that many. Metal-Head, Overlord, Cesspool, Overkill, Skycreeper (my vote), Interrogator, Headman, Slice, Dice, Night Creeper Leader, Gristle, and Rip It.

If the "R" is any indication and he isn't foreign, Rip-It (while a crappy choice I think) is a possibility.

Of course, they COULD mean REALLY recent. And that could include Black Out, Burnout, Scalpel, Neurotoxin, Razorclaw, Slash, Croc Master and Venomous Maximus. But those, of course, would be highly dubious at best.

One thing most certain though, is he will be a repaint. So we can make a more substantial guess I think based on the molds we have seen as to whom it could be (such as the examples I gave above).

Ok, it said this figure is rare with a capital "R". This could mean that the figures name starts with an R also, so don't rule anyone out. It might not be the Pimp Daddy Destro you all think.

Pimp Daddy Destro. Someone on these boards posted this information briefly when the line was first announced, but I didn't believe him at the time. Ha! Shows how much I know. Anyone have any idea how much this guy will set me back if I don't attend the con? Can it be purchased through the con via internet? Or do I have to ebay it? I don't wanna pay too much, but I need this guy in my collection.

@lol@

At least it's just an exclusive for the comic convention. Like I stated earlier, I'm not a completist by any stretch, and have passed on stuff like this in the past.

"Pimp Daddy Destro"! :rolleyes:

Maybe they'll skank up a version of one of the female figures for it as well, like a "Nappy-Headed Lady Ho"?

@smilepunch@

The write-up says it's available in TWO versions...

I'm not seeing that. @hmmm@