Best of the Rest?

gojira77

Transforming Outer Shells, Motorized Walking, Shooting Sparks... Really, gestalts and combiners were just the tip of G1's gimmick iceberg. We've had "micro master"-esque Mini-cons since Armada and transforming role-play items seem to be coming back with Classics Megatron and the Real Gear robots, but the Old Skool gold mine of crazy added features is far from tapped out! In the end, TF will always be about Robots in Disguise: realistic vehicles and real world objects that convert into highly detailed fighting robots. But the gimmicks are FUN and help your new acquisition stand out from the 50 or so you bought last year! That said, what classic gimmicks would you like to see more of in the coming main-line Transformers?

Hmmmmm.. It seems like you actually named ALL of the 80's transforming gimmicks. LOL ;)

The only one I can think of, that would be cool, is like a dual transformer like they did with

G1 Punch-Counterpunch. They also did that with Twin Combat and Double Soldier from the Diaclone line.

It would be like 2 Transformers for the price of 1.

Here's my top three...

1. Throttlebots-- Sure they were too simple and coulda used a POINT of articulation, but com'on, how can't you love mini-cars with pull-back motors that still work in robot mode? I wished all those little G1 cars had that feature!

2. Electronic Laser Guns-- This is why Shockwave was better the Megatron and most kids forgave Galvatron for being Grey instead of Purple. I'm surprised my parents didn't have to take me to the hospital to get Galvatron's trigger surgically removed from my hand! Lights, Sounds, and role-play Violence make for a very awesome toy. Hasbro has let to use electronic action sounds as effectively in the modern era...

3. Playsets A.K.A. City-Formers-- This had nothing to do with that scene in Big where Tom Hanks tries to explain to the clueless toy exec why kids won't play with a robot that turns into a boring skyscraper. He-man had Castle Greyskull, Skeletor his Snake Mountain, and Darth Vader a couple of floors from the Death Star. Optimus needed a place to park his trailer that had a little more panache than, say, the classic Playmobile airport. It needed guns, it needed ramps, it needed its own robot mode so that Prime and the playset could bond and have that "little chat". One of the cool things about the Transformers is how they wildly varied in size, from a-little-bigger-than-Spike to the size of the Friggin' Moon. I think where the G1 cities came up, ahem, short is that they just couldn't make the guys big enough to fit all the scales available. Metroplex was only really big enough to provide a safe daycare environment for Bumblebee and his friends. Maybe we need something like the Star Wars Micro Machines bases from awhile back.

We've got all these Prime trailers with base modes it sure would be nice to have those other sets to go along with them. Not to mention it would sure add a lot to the value of a large minicon collection!

Big citybots would be cool. However I wouldn't like to see it end with them. Micromaster bases were kick ass ideas and what better thing to bring back to compliment all the minicons we've had.

So let's say we get cool citybots as a centerpiece and all kinds of neat...dare I call them MINIMASTER bases @hmmm@ which neatly connect with the bigbot.

If I had any artistic ability I think I'd have a blast coming up with all kinds of neat design ideas for these.