Best Ever Combiner Toys?

gojira77

Though scary and contraversial to some, I dig the new Hyper-detailed, Gritty Sci-Fi Realism look of the Movieformers, and can't wait to see some more of my favorite 'bots in the new look. Especially combiners like Devastator, who I think would kick butt covered with "hazard" labels and sculpted-on muck. Of course the Even-More-Complex terrors like Combining robots will have to wait for the sequel to show up on the big screen, but you never know what bones Hasbro-Takara might slip us in future waves of the movie line. In the meantime, we can enjoy all the "gestalts" who've come along in nearly every incarnation of TF: G1, Beastwars, RID, Armada, and Energon, with redecos in G2, Universe, and Classics. Not everyone made it into Cartoon Cannon, or managed 15-pages of Fame as background characters in a comic, but all were really cool toys! So I'd like to know who do you guys think were the best combiners so far. Extra points for defending the lesser-known gems with cool transforms and abundant attitude!

I'm really surprised that Hasbro decided to go away from combiner teams for Cybertron.

I can't help but wonder how many more limb bots they sold in Energon because of people wanting a complete set and didn't want to wait for the repaints to be able to combine them so they doubled up.

Then of course you got 2 extra's of the same color, then later the repaints. Well...might as well complete another set. Furstrating, yes! But I must give Hasbro some credit, that was a brilliant move on their part.

I'd like to see them take their time and come up with something really spectacular for the next original combiner team. Who knows, one or two could be on the drawing board as I type this.

Here's an entire list for you guys..just incase you couldn't think of them all.......

Decepticons/Predacons:

Devestator

Menasor

Bruticus

Predaking

Abominus

Piranacon

Monstructor

Lio Kaiser

Dinoking

Battle Gaea

G2 Devastator (yellow)

G2 Devastator (orange)

G2 Bruticus

Tripredicus

God Neptune

Baldigus

Ruination

Arctic Ruination

Desert Ruination

Decp. Sixwing

Devastaor 6 Builder

Black Sixturbo

Universe Devastator (micromaster)

Devastator Maximus

Bruticus Maximus

Universe Devastator(Landfill repaint)

Classics Devastator

Autobots/Maximals:

Superion

Defensor

Computron

Raiden

Road Ceaser

Landcross

Sixliner

Sixbuilder

Sixwing

Sixturbo

Sixtrain

Guard City

G2 Superion

Magnaboss

Tripredicus

Sixbuilder (repaint)

Berserker Sixwing

Sixtrain (repaint)

Hate Plague Sixtrain

Black Landcross

JRX/Railracer

Buildking/Landfill

Landfill (yellow)

Superion Maximus

Universe Superion(micromaster)

For me Toywise....I'd have to say Superion Maximus.....Characterwise G1 Devastator.

Let's see...

I had Abominus as a kid,who was an awesome robot, but his limb guys really sucked on their own. Hungrrr wasn't bad though-- pretty complex toy, I once took him apart just to count all the screws!

I never thought much of the Devastator toy until I saw a vintage one behind glass at a comic book shop and was just completely blown away by the detail and liberal use of diecast. I think Predaking is the best all-around vintage combiner: great individual robots with convincing alt modes, with a truly gi-normous super robot, since all the components were deluxes! I would probably sell a kidney to get my hands on a re-issue box set.

I always wanted Tripredicus and Magnaboss... until my Beast Wars Nut friend brought them over. Man, and I thought the G1 guys were fragile! I didn't know how to keep the blasted things from falling apart.

I guess RID had the coolest looking combiners, and really the best variety to choose from. I like Ruination/Bruticus-Clone better as his component Combaticons (the reverse of Abominus), and same goes for the Build team. Omega Prime may be my favorite combiner, at least in my collection. He scoffs at all Armada combiners!

In the end-- what makes a good Combiner?

no love for predaking?!?!

i got my predaking when they re-issued him a couple years ago and was one of the best purchaes i have made in the TF world since i had wanted him since i was young. i mean you have 6 equal sized TF to combine into a huge TF. how can you not love him?!

i also think build king is prob the best combiner for posability and versatility but will always love predaking more. if only they'd redo him!!!!

I say Predaking is the best only because him and fortress maximus are my grails. I will get them both once I finish my MBA. they will be my presents to myself.

But Rail Racer, Landfill and Magnaboss are all great. also Bruticus Maximus was my favorite from Energon

devastator because he has 6 parts instead of the usual 5

Dude #1 rule of collecting is to go with quality, not quantity

The seacons came with more guys too remebmer & its a much better combiner than devy ever will be :) Don't get me wrong I love those guys in robot and vechial modes however the combined modes SUCK! & thats what its all about!

Here's an entire list for you guys..just incase you couldn't think of them all.......

Decepticons/Predacons:

Devestator

Menasor

Bruticus

Predaking

Abominus

Piranacon

Monstructor

Lio Kaiser

Dinoking

Battle Gaea

G2 Devastator (yellow)

G2 Devastator (orange)

G2 Bruticus

Tripredicus

God Neptune

Baldigus

Ruination

Arctic Ruination

Desert Ruination

Decp. Sixwing

Devastaor 6 Builder

Black Sixturbo

Devastator Maximus

Bruticus Maximus

Classics Devastator

Autobots/Maximals:

Superion

Defensor

Computron

Raiden

Road Ceaser

Landcross

Sixliner

Sixbuilder

Sixwing

Sixturbo

Sixtrain

Guard City

G2 Superion

Magnaboss

Tripredicus

Sixbuilder (repaint)

Berserker Sixwing

Sixtrain (repaint)

Hate Plague Sixtrain

Black Landcross

JRX/Railracer

Buildking/Landfill

Landfill (yellow)

Superion Maximus

For me Toywise....I'd have to say Superion Maximus.....Characterwise G1 Devastator.

I think you forgot a few.

Decepticon

Squackbox

Autobot

Slamdance

Well, I intentially said "combiner" to keep the topic fairly open. I think most people just thought "teams" because they've always been higher profile and cooler. A COMPLETE list would have to include the likes of the Duocons, Energon Autobots, and Armada SuperPrime and his Posse... But, personally, I'd have to draw the line at folks with Mini-con ports. That's just scraping the barrel! An expanded list though could then include my beloved Omega Prime. Optimus Prime... Ultra Magnus... COMBINED!!!!!

wow, everybody seems to hate devy, he to me was the greatest, maybe because he was the only complete one i had but he had a unique build, different from all the rest and was an og in the toon and they're were 6 instead of 5 like somebody already pointed out @smilepunch@

Decepticons/Predacons:

Devestator

Menasor

Bruticus

Predaking

Abominus

Piranacon

Monstructor

Lio Kaiser

Dinoking

Battle Gaea

G2 Devastator (yellow)

G2 Devastator (orange)

G2 Bruticus

Tripredicus

God Neptune

Baldigus

Ruination

Arctic Ruination

Desert Ruination

Decp. Sixwing

Devastaor 6 Builder

Black Sixturbo

Devastator Maximus

Bruticus Maximus

Classics Devastator

Autobots/Maximals:

Superion

Defensor

Computron

Raiden

Road Ceaser

Landcross

Sixliner

Sixbuilder

Sixwing

Sixturbo

Sixtrain

Guard City

G2 Superion

Magnaboss

Tripredicus

Sixbuilder (repaint)

Berserker Sixwing

Sixtrain (repaint)

Hate Plague Sixtrain

Black Landcross

JRX/Railracer

Buildking/Landfill

Landfill (yellow)

Superion Maximus

I think you forgot a few.

Decepticon

Squackbox

Autobot

Slamdance

They aren't considered Gestalts..... I mean hell if you think they are gestalts you mine as well include half of Energon.

They aren't considered Gestalts..... I mean hell if you think they are gestalts you mine as well include half of Energon.

Depends on the definition of "gestalt". I see it as two or more individuals that form a third individual. I think these characters qualify. Grand Slam and Raindance are individuals, as are Squaktalk and Beast Box. The same way Slamdance and Squakbox are individuals as Devastator or Superion are.

I mean the Duocons, for example don't qualify since they don't have three modes. Or Magmatron for the same reason. Neither do the Energon characters since they don't merge into a third identity. It's just Hot Shot "powered up" by connecting to Inferno.