Value of Joes

Admiral Hunter

Do you guys search all over e-bay, and online sellers, etc. etc. when looking to buy new Joes?

And what criteria do you use as far as price points? Do you buy MOC so you can open? Do you request millions of pictures from e-bay sellers, etc. etc.?

Just curious. Another fun thing I was curious about, price points. What figures will you pay more for than others? I mean, obviously some characters get higher i.e, Battle Corps Gung Ho vs. Snake Eyes v2. (Talking MOC here.)

-Kevin

I don't bother because value is so subjective. At a local comic store this weekend, I saw a loose VAMP without driver for $65 and a loose Baroness for $50, while on Ebay you can get both for $20.

I buy MOC to open, when I can. It's bastardly and makes MOC collectors cry, so I enjoy it. Not too long ago I bought a 1979 MOC die-cast Star Wars Darth Vader TIE Fighter and opened it. Man that was nice.

I buy what I like regardless of price. Some of my favorites are cheap and some are expensive, and some expensive "high collectibility ad value" figures I don't care for.

I buy MOC to open, when I can. It's bastardly and makes MOC collectors cry, so I enjoy it. Not too long ago I bought a 1979 MOC die-cast Star Wars Darth Vader TIE Fighter and opened it. Man that was nice.

Yeah, I do that too. I try to get good deals when I can, but I'll pay more sometimes if it's a figure/vehicle I really want and can be assured that it's in mint condition, as that's very important to me.

Sometimes you can get good deal on Action Force or Japanese GI Joe stuff in the box, and it'll be exactly the same (in most cases - I know about the European variants), other than the stickers, which I don't really care about because I use repros anyway.

I agree with the others. I don't have a problem paying the price for something I want or need. Don't get me wrong, I am not going to pay $50 for something I can get for $10. But if I need it then I will pay the price. I also believe in opening figures. What's the fun in spending all that money if you can only look at the MOC figure. I'll buy from ebay or any online store that has what I want. Thats the fun in collecting IMHO.

I buy to open. Can't play with them in the package.

As for value, that depends on the item. I've never paid more than $30 for any single figure (don't recall whom THAT was).

The key to remember, especially on ebay, is PATIENCE. Another one is bound to come around at some point. I never thought I'd ever acquire Decimator. Now I have 2.

Also, it depends on the "quality" and "completeness". Those two Decimators have the helmet, but not the gun. I doubt I would have been able to afford "complete" ones, but the helmet is the more important accessory for that particular figure.

And, if you aren't in a hurry to acquire an particular figure, you could try looking in parts lots and "build" the figure. As for accessories, I forget whom, but someone here wanted to complete Night Force character equipment. Sneak Peek, for example, most of his equipment is black so if you look for a complete original you have most of his equipment. You just then need the periscope.

I buy loose or MOC to open. I prefer loose because its usually cheaper. I only collect new sculpts so I think the most I've paid for a single figure is like $6 or $7. I usually try to get figs from people here or joecustoms or yojoe before I go ebay but ebay is always an option.

It will depend on the figure/vehicle for me for how much I spend on it, condition will matter to of course.

If its MOC it will get opened, but I usually get them loose cause its cheaper.

The highest price I've paid so far is $25 for one of the Sky Patrol figs 100% complete and the card back.