Hasbro ML series 2 ARRIVES!!!!!

jjlecaros

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!!!

This morning, at my super-secret location, I nabbed the last four I needed to complete the Blob... all my Avengers.

Yellowjacket is bright and sunny, but a little underwhelming. I have always liked the costume design and he is executed well, I don't see what else they could have done with him. But eh... he's just "alright", you know?

Thor is actually really impressive, he's big and detailed in sculpt. Like others have said, his paint applications leave a bit to be desired, but I really like the figure. I just wish I liked the costume design enough to display him. I'm a sucker for the "classic" look, so the Wal-Mart Thor will stay displayed for me.

Quicksilver, I love. I've got him in a great running pose and he looks just like I remember him from when I read comics religiously. The only difference is that the blue costume I remember had a much lower neckline, almost at the shoulders, but this makes more sense and doesn't look as silly as the neckline I remember. I like the shade of blue, my lightning bolts look pretty sharp, and he's pale, but every character should have a different skin tone, IMO. I don't know if it makes sense for Quicksilver because the Magneto and Scarlet Witch figures have a darker skin tone, and I think they should have taken a page from those figures when designing this one. But I'm still very happy with Pietro.

She-Hulk is pretty impressive as well. She's tall and bulky, but still feminine and attractive. The face captures her personality very well, and my ONLY real complaints are the lack of bicep swivel, which limit arm poseability and remind me of Marvel Select figures, and that she can't make fists, because I wanted her to be able to punch the hell out of some other characters. I don't find that the elbows/wrists/ankles articulation is all that limiting on this figure and I don't miss the waist joint either. The torso/hip area is a delicate area on female figures, so I don't like them broken up with too many joints. So I give them a pass on the missing waist joint.

Blob is freaking AWESOME. REALLY tall, REALLY fat, and ugly, but not as ugly as the original paint applications made him look. I don't know what's up with the "freckles" that remind me of Scarlet Witch, but it actually doesn't look all that bad on him, and makes what could be a cartoony body have a little more texture and depth. Somehow. I love the kind of scoring they did on the shoulder and hip ball joints to look like cellulite, and the rolls in Blob's legs are grotesque. I wished he had a knee joint, but given the sculpt I really don't see how it would have helped much. Perfect costume from my memory, but it looks from the sculpt as if he should have had a painted yellow collar on it. It's nothing major, though.

Overall, I'm really happy with this wave. Much better in person than in pictures, and they blend really well with the Toy Biz offerings. Hasbro's finding its footing with this line, and I anticipate it will only get better with time.

And since I have all of the figures, I will reveal my super-secret location. Drumroll please....

KB Toys in Manhattan Mall, 33rd st.

I know PastWatch visited this store, but they did have them before the visit he posted about. I had gone there late one day because of all the reports of finding these at KB, and to my surprise they had two X3 Jeans and Ultimate Wolverines. I asked at the checkout about whether they had any more and they didn't, but they gave me a tip about shipments on Friday and the following Monday.

I went Friday morning and was waiting outside for it to open, facing off with a slimy scalper and each of us trying to inch closer to the crack in the doors so we would each be first inside. They opened, and I was first in, and about five or six people were waiting, all for Marvel Legends... we all spilled inside to find... NOTHING. All Toy Biz wave 13-15 on sale, no Hasbro waves 1 or 2. I don't know if I EVER saw Hasbro Wave 1 in a KB. I left, hoping to try back Monday morning.

Yesterday, in the pouring monsoon, I tripped over to KB on Main Street in Flushing Queens, the only other one I know how to get to, and found my Xorn and X3 Juggernaut. They said they had no more, but their shipment is Wednesday, and to try in the morning. The girl was VERY nice about it all and we chatted about retail (I manage a store as well) and how rain really kills business for street stores, etc.

Today, I don't work until 3pm, so very uncharacteristically for me on a day when I work so late, I woke up at 8am and got back to the manhattan mall by 9:30am, early for the 10am opening. Sure enough, about 9:50, the slimy scalper arrives, and looks surprised to find me there again, standing boldly in front of both doors, blocking the whole entrance. I'm GETTING these figures today, and I will NOT be denied! The scalper had been there earlier the last time I saw him, so I guess this morning's rain slowed him down. Anyway, they open and I make my beeline to find a good case or two worth of HML2! Two of each character, except Thor, of which there was only one. I nabbed both Yellowjackets, both She-Hulks, both Quicksilvers and the lone Thor, and started comparing and contrasting the paint jobs of the duplicates. Taking the best version of each Avenger, I headed happily for the register. The scalper fumbled around with some sports-related McFarlane figures and tried to peek into the Marvel Legends but couldn't really get around me. The cashier (who was the same one that tipped me off about Friday/Monday shipments on my first nab of HML2) was lovely, asked if it was worth the wait (since I guess she'd seen me waiting outside, and I beamed about how I was all caught up now, these were the last I needed. I even got an extra receipt from the register offering $3 off my next purchase if I participate in an online survey about KB Toy Stores. I will probably do it because the people in the stores were so nice in all my experiences this past week.

So check KB TOYS! Flushing gets their shipments on Wednesday mornings, Manhattan Mall at LEAST gets theirs on Friday and Monday mornings, but probably have a Wednesday shipment because I think my first success at the mall was a Thursday, and it was just those remnants left. But go at store opening, because you have to beat that scalper!!!

Ah KB Toys. On my lunchbreak today I finally saw some HML2 figs at the Manhattan KB. All they had left was a couple of X3 Jeans and Ultimate Wolvies. That's it, but man, they had piles of X-Men classics at 3 different locations in the same store! It was unreal, I never saw so much overstock. I don't think they're ever going to get rid of these. @grumpy@

I'll keep trying though, thanks for the info!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found two full sets of series2 at KB at Greenbrier Mall in Chesapeake, Va tonight. They also had multiple series 14 variants of Zemo, Falcon, and First Appearance Iron Man. Didn't Pick any of them up though, so someone go get them!

Has anyone noticed that places are only putting out one of every figure at a time and no more or less? Anyone find this wierd or is that just the new case contents? Is the act of places putting out one case at a time normal?

Anyways, the series gives much hope for Hasbro, they have the ability to have TB quality.

Has anyone noticed that places are only putting out one of every figure at a time and no more or less? Anyone find this wierd or is that just the new case contents? Is the act of places putting out one case at a time normal?

Anyways, the series gives much hope for Hasbro, they have the ability to have TB quality.

HML2 and every Hasbro wave afterwards are 8 figure cases, so one of each figure is in the case yes, guess most places just want to release a case at a time at the moment for some reason, dunno why.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!!!

This morning, at my super-secret location, I nabbed the last four I needed to complete the Blob... all my Avengers.

Yellowjacket is bright and sunny, but a little underwhelming. I have always liked the costume design and he is executed well, I don't see what else they could have done with him. But eh... he's just "alright", you know?

Thor is actually really impressive, he's big and detailed in sculpt. Like others have said, his paint applications leave a bit to be desired, but I really like the figure. I just wish I liked the costume design enough to display him. I'm a sucker for the "classic" look, so the Wal-Mart Thor will stay displayed for me.

Quicksilver, I love. I've got him in a great running pose and he looks just like I remember him from when I read comics religiously. The only difference is that the blue costume I remember had a much lower neckline, almost at the shoulders, but this makes more sense and doesn't look as silly as the neckline I remember. I like the shade of blue, my lightning bolts look pretty sharp, and he's pale, but every character should have a different skin tone, IMO. I don't know if it makes sense for Quicksilver because the Magneto and Scarlet Witch figures have a darker skin tone, and I think they should have taken a page from those figures when designing this one. But I'm still very happy with Pietro.

She-Hulk is pretty impressive as well. She's tall and bulky, but still feminine and attractive. The face captures her personality very well, and my ONLY real complaints are the lack of bicep swivel, which limit arm poseability and remind me of Marvel Select figures, and that she can't make fists, because I wanted her to be able to punch the hell out of some other characters. I don't find that the elbows/wrists/ankles articulation is all that limiting on this figure and I don't miss the waist joint either. The torso/hip area is a delicate area on female figures, so I don't like them broken up with too many joints. So I give them a pass on the missing waist joint.

Blob is freaking AWESOME. REALLY tall, REALLY fat, and ugly, but not as ugly as the original paint applications made him look. I don't know what's up with the "freckles" that remind me of Scarlet Witch, but it actually doesn't look all that bad on him, and makes what could be a cartoony body have a little more texture and depth. Somehow. I love the kind of scoring they did on the shoulder and hip ball joints to look like cellulite, and the rolls in Blob's legs are grotesque. I wished he had a knee joint, but given the sculpt I really don't see how it would have helped much. Perfect costume from my memory, but it looks from the sculpt as if he should have had a painted yellow collar on it. It's nothing major, though.

Overall, I'm really happy with this wave. Much better in person than in pictures, and they blend really well with the Toy Biz offerings. Hasbro's finding its footing with this line, and I anticipate it will only get better with time.

And since I have all of the figures, I will reveal my super-secret location. Drumroll please....

KB Toys in Manhattan Mall, 33rd st.

I know PastWatch visited this store, but they did have them before the visit he posted about. I had gone there late one day because of all the reports of finding these at KB, and to my surprise they had two X3 Jeans and Ultimate Wolverines. I asked at the checkout about whether they had any more and they didn't, but they gave me a tip about shipments on Friday and the following Monday.

I went Friday morning and was waiting outside for it to open, facing off with a slimy scalper and each of us trying to inch closer to the crack in the doors so we would each be first inside. They opened, and I was first in, and about five or six people were waiting, all for Marvel Legends... we all spilled inside to find... NOTHING. All Toy Biz wave 13-15 on sale, no Hasbro waves 1 or 2. I don't know if I EVER saw Hasbro Wave 1 in a KB. I left, hoping to try back Monday morning.

Yesterday, in the pouring monsoon, I tripped over to KB on Main Street in Flushing Queens, the only other one I know how to get to, and found my Xorn and X3 Juggernaut. They said they had no more, but their shipment is Wednesday, and to try in the morning. The girl was VERY nice about it all and we chatted about retail (I manage a store as well) and how rain really kills business for street stores, etc.

Today, I don't work until 3pm, so very uncharacteristically for me on a day when I work so late, I woke up at 8am and got back to the manhattan mall by 9:30am, early for the 10am opening. Sure enough, about 9:50, the slimy scalper arrives, and looks surprised to find me there again, standing boldly in front of both doors, blocking the whole entrance. I'm GETTING these figures today, and I will NOT be denied! The scalper had been there earlier the last time I saw him, so I guess this morning's rain slowed him down. Anyway, they open and I make my beeline to find a good case or two worth of HML2! Two of each character, except Thor, of which there was only one. I nabbed both Yellowjackets, both She-Hulks, both Quicksilvers and the lone Thor, and started comparing and contrasting the paint jobs of the duplicates. Taking the best version of each Avenger, I headed happily for the register. The scalper fumbled around with some sports-related McFarlane figures and tried to peek into the Marvel Legends but couldn't really get around me. The cashier (who was the same one that tipped me off about Friday/Monday shipments on my first nab of HML2) was lovely, asked if it was worth the wait (since I guess she'd seen me waiting outside, and I beamed about how I was all caught up now, these were the last I needed. I even got an extra receipt from the register offering $3 off my next purchase if I participate in an online survey about KB Toy Stores. I will probably do it because the people in the stores were so nice in all my experiences this past week.

So check KB TOYS! Flushing gets their shipments on Wednesday mornings, Manhattan Mall at LEAST gets theirs on Friday and Monday mornings, but probably have a Wednesday shipment because I think my first success at the mall was a Thursday, and it was just those remnants left. But go at store opening, because you have to beat that scalper!!!

Ah KB Toys. On my lunchbreak today I finally saw some HML2 figs at the Manhattan KB. All they had left was a couple of X3 Jeans and Ultimate Wolvies. That's it, but man, they had piles of X-Men classics at 3 different locations in the same store! It was unreal, I never saw so much overstock. I don't think they're ever going to get rid of these. @grumpy@

I'll keep trying though, thanks for the info!

No problem... sorry I couldn't tell you sooner, but who knows what scalpers read these boards! You never know!!! I was actually worried that you were going to post here saying that YOU were the guy I called the "slimy scalper" in my story! Relieved that's not the case...

You will probably have better luck in Flushing Queens, if you can get the 7 train to Main Street. The store is right off the escalator, and I am CERTAIN they see less traffic than Manhattan Mall. You'd probably be more likely to land more figures. They did still have about 7 figures (1 x3 Juggernaut, but doubles of Jean, Wolvie, and Xorn) when I got there Sunday, and if that was left over from Wednesday's shipment from last week, then you definitely have a good shot with them.

I just got em all...Blob rocks! One of the coolest ML figures ever...

You're just kidding right??

No problem... sorry I couldn't tell you sooner, but who knows what scalpers read these boards! You never know!!! I was actually worried that you were going to post here saying that YOU were the guy I called the "slimy scalper" in my story! Relieved that's not the case...

You will probably have better luck in Flushing Queens, if you can get the 7 train to Main Street. The store is right off the escalator, and I am CERTAIN they see less traffic than Manhattan Mall. You'd probably be more likely to land more figures. They did still have about 7 figures (1 x3 Juggernaut, but doubles of Jean, Wolvie, and Xorn) when I got there Sunday, and if that was left over from Wednesday's shipment from last week, then you definitely have a good shot with them.

Cool, I'll check Flushing as soon as I can, thanks again! I'm sure you're right, the Manhattan KB is the hardest for me to score things unless you're there as soon as it opens. It's just too accessible so everyone dives in there. @loll@ And no, I'm not a 'slimy scalper'. These figures are just for me.. uh, I mean.. and my son when he gets older. Yeah, that's it. :)

You're just kidding right??

Prolly not, Blob does appear to be a better BAF then Mojo and Onslaught at the least, and some people prolly like Blob since he's a brotherhood member, plus HML2 is pretty close to alot of TB figures in quality(besides Ult Wolvy)

Uh, Blob is TOTALLY awesome!

He's really huge, fat, has more appeal than bizarre Mojo, more poseability than MODOK, and more playability than Onslaught. He completes the Mystique/Pyro/Avalanche/Blob set, and has been involved in about a million incarnations of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

The sculpt is dead on, his attitude, the rolls of fat, the proportions... Blob does indeed rock.

I just got modok I think he rocks big time :)

Nothing can top galactus or the sentinal or even giant man for the out right coolness factor of there size alone though :P

damn we got spoiled big time with these guys HEH!

i have all but yellowjacket, she-hulk, and quicksilver. This wave has defiinitely made me change how i view hasbro's quality. The wave overall is quite nice. Thor is AMAZING, xorn is pretty badass, hell even x3 juggs is a pretty nice fig. i cant really say that ult wolvie or x3 jean are that good tho. But i dont see myself buying any of the next wave of figs as i dont want to have a bunch of brood queen pieces. oh well.. its definitely a bright future for hasbro as long as they keep this kind of wave of figs up.