Celebration IV Exclusive: McQuarrie Concept C-3PO & R2-D2

Wheeljack35

Agree with the above poster. I (and Everybody that I know) collect what we like, not what's impossible to find. Sure, chasing down figures can be fun, but it's not fun when you know that you will never reach your goal without Ebay, etc. I don't care if they put Mcquarrie Starkiller's in every McDonald's happy meal, I would still enjoy it. If you really like a rare item, hell yeah, go for it, but I will never understand the mentality of collecting rare items for the namesake.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading what you said about the agreement, JayC...it sounds like the Con people entered into the exact same contract that retail stores abide by with manufacturers. Once a case of figures (or anything else for that matter) is shipped, we're stuck with it. We couldn't simply return it to Hasbro for a credit or refund if the figures didn't sell very well. If we could do that, then the concept of "clearance" would be nonexistent in stores. The only time we can return something to the manufacturer for credit is if it is incomplete right out of the package or is damaged within the period specified in our return policy. And that credit is recycled by buying more product from the manufacture at a later date.

Based on that...yeah, C4 is stuck with a boatload of exclusives that they can't resell on any other market. In doing so, they would break the contract with Hasbro that they agreed upon, and could cause Hasbro to not offer any more Celebration Exclusives in the future. I know some people will think "Hasbo not giving stuff out at Lucas's shindigs? Yeah right!" But that's exactly what would happen if a breach of contract is made. If TRU employees started dumping unsold Hasbro merchandise, say, on eBay just to get rid of it...you better believe Hasbro would yank our contract in a heartbeat. So its as JayC said. It's partly due to an attempt to preserve the item's exclusivity, but its also due to the folks at C4 having to live up to their end of the contract that they made with Hasbro.

Burn baby, burn...

Whitewolf,

Actually, GenCon pursued HASBRO to get the exclusive and once they purchased them, they can sell them any way they see fit. They own the figures now. They probably just have the "exclusive rights to distribute" those figures and not just at CIV. If they decided to sell their whole boatload of extras to one reseller, they could. The exclusive contract isn't to protect Hasbro from having it sold somewhere else, it's to protect the Exclusive Distributor FROM Hasbro being able to distribute it elsewhere. Hasbro gets no benefit from an exclusive other than drumming up free press, but the distributor, in this case GenCon, gets HUGE advantage of being the sould distributor of the figure by encouraging attendance to the show. HASBRO'S exclusive was Luke and they offered him online too. GENCON'S exclusive was the 2 pack. Hasbro doesn't care what happens once the retailer/distributor pays for their shipment because, at that point they own it and any money they don't make on it is their loss, not Hasbro's. If anything, by destroying them, they will probably anger Hasbro more by indirectly supporting the scalping market which looks bad on Hasbro. If the retailers who bought stuff had to "live up to" the exclusives because Hasbro "made them" then they wouldn't be able to put exclusives on clearance because it would devalue the name and weaken the credibility of the product.

Also, as for buying back items. Retailers, especially ones as large as Wal-Mart, CAN force manufacturers to take back partials if a product just doesn't sale. They have enough clout to say "If you don't take this lemon of a product back then we won't order from you next time" and that is usually enough to either get it picked back up or get enough of a "charge back" credit to be able to lower the price to a clearance point so that it will sell. No major supplier to Wal-Mart will ever stand up to them. With companies like TRU & others, they will turn around and sell stagnant things to clearance retailers like BigLots a lot of the time if they have too many of them. That's why 6 months to a year later you'll see previous "exclusives" on the store & Big Lots & KB Outlets, because they couldn't move all the inventory at the primary vendor and either that vendor sold surplus to them at a loss & wrote it off on taxes or the manufacturer bought them back after the "exclusive" period stated in the contract and resold them to recover their losses for the cost of buying back what didn't sell. In the case of these figures, I'm sure Hasbro has a standing offer to buy back what's not sold/distributed at a certain amount and they would either repackage them and sell them in a later series or resell them to a closeout market since the "exclusive" sell period will have ended with the end of CIV. If they decide to destroy these, it's purely to cater to the aurra of exclusivity and force a fake value on the secondary market rather than they were "forced to" by Hasbro. They serve nobody but themselves and the scalpers by destroying them. (Heck, they may just put the rumor out there that they are destroyed to inflate the value then sell them on their own with fake names on ebay to profit off it). Usually and exclusive offer is for a set period of time and after that period, the manufacturer has the right to redistribute however they like.

Anyway, I'm still holding out hope that they'll make it out as single carded figures later on. I open everything anyway so I don't care if it's in "exclusive CIV" packaging.

glaken it is indeed nice t ohave something that is worth something in you're collection value wise even if you are not going to sell it however most of the times the things that turn out to be worth something are indeed RARE! :)

donate them and have the place they donate it to sell them.

I think destroying would be a waste, but I honestly don't think they should be available for everyone. I'm sure that concept bothers at least a few people that have posted in here, but 'oh well.' I get sick of hearing people think they deserve everything. I went to C2 & C3 and I know from experience that it can be a colossal pain in the ass to get your hands on exclusives. Not to mention that it costs on average about a $1000 or more (travel, hotel, food, passes, etc) just to be there. So you go through all that to have an experience that not everyone gets to have and one of the major thing you take back from that are the exclusives. So why does someone that didn't want to go or couldn't afford to go "deserve" to have access to something that others had to put so much effort into procuring? They don't, IMO.

Yea, I agree. It defeats the purpose of an exclusive. While I agree it's good business practice for a company to make a product, even exclusives, available online to those that can't make it, don't bother w/ that limited to 2000 pieces crap if that's the case. How do we know you aren't making more pieces after the show? I went to C4 to score the so called exclusives and pick up some of the prints that were also to be destroyed if they weren't sold, to support the artists and their work. On the last day, there were a few pallets of cases of the Droids exclusives and the starwarsshop rep said that a "distribution" company bought them all out, which happened to be Toyrocket. And I know for a fact that attendees were walking around w/ cases of these figures, either Luke or the Droids or both, and it made me think how "exclusive and limited" these figures are. I look at the CIII VAder and how it went from three digits to $20/each at CIV.

So why does someone that didn't want to go or couldn't afford to go "deserve" to have access to something that others had to put so much effort into procuring? They don't, IMO.

The people that attend get to have an experience that nonattendees don't get anyway. The effort in attending is to have those experiences.

The exclusive product is just a added bonus, but not the be-all/end-all about attending.

Offering the same exclusives up after-convention gives those non-attendees the chance to own the same thing, but doesn't let them share in the experiences of actually being there.

Honestly, if this keeps up, companies like Hasbro should just remove the "exclusive" and "limited" text off their marketing campaigns for all these figures. We all know the upcoming "exclusives" for the San Diego Comic-Con are going to be up and running online, so no one's gonna get screwed on these at retail unless they definitely sell out. They should just say that these products are making their DEBUT at the San Diego Comic-Con, rather than being an exclusive, when it's not. When a product is offered outside of a proposed event, that's when it does not become exclusive, it goes public.

Most of the time, an exclusive to a show is what draws me to attend events like Comic-Con, but above that, would be the guests. What drew me to the Star Wars CIV event was the artists like Mark Brooks, Brian Rood, Tsuneo Sanda, the Darth Vader art gallery, and of course the exclusives. I wasn't expecting to see Kristen Bell aka Veronica Mars, Jon Heder aka Napoleon Dynamite, and many others at a Star Wars event!! Those are just another incentive. I had a great time at CIV and I have no regrets, sure I spent a ton of $$$$, but that's just money, it comes and goes. I figured it's the 1st time it's out here in Cali and I took advantage of it.

Back to the topic, again, companies need to take note and remove all that marketing scheme of trying to create hype on their products. Just set a production number and say it'll be available both at the show and online. Don't tell us it's an exclusive and that it's only sold at the show when it's not!!!! CIV was THE most expensive show I've ever attended, but it was worth it.

I agree. There's no way companies will ever please everyone in regards to exclusives. I still think it's wrong that some of us pay admission and the opportunity to purchase these exclusives, then after the show, they are online for purchase to anyone? In my opinion, they should at least put on one day's worth of admission on top of the price they were selling the exclusive for. Again, some people may have attended a show strictly for the exclusives. You have people flying from all over the world, who have spent not only their money, but also their time, whether taking time off from work and waiting in lines.

So why does someone that didn't want to go or couldn't afford to go "deserve" to have access to something that others had to put so much effort into procuring? They don't, IMO.

The people that attend get to have an experience that nonattendees don't get anyway. The effort in attending is to have those experiences.

The exclusive product is just a added bonus, but not the be-all/end-all about attending.

Offering the same exclusives up after-convention gives those non-attendees the chance to own the same thing, but doesn't let them share in the experiences of actually being there.

It's true, the experiences and memories there are the most important thing, and nobody can purchase those on the secondary market. I just don't think they should bother w/ exclusives if there going to offer them up to anyone w/ an internet connection 2 days later. I agree w/ bboyrealm...start saying the figures are "debuting" at the event if that's not going to be the only place they are going to be available for sale. Exclusives should be just that...exclusive.

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?pro

I ordered two !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!