Celebration IV Exclusive: McQuarrie Concept C-3PO & R2-D2

Wheeljack35

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Gen Con people (They run Celebration) have been saying any of the CIV exclusives not sold will be destroyed, including the R2-D2 and C-3PO figure 2-packs. (This doesn't include the Luke figure since thats Hasbro's exclusive not Gen Cons). They're reasoning for doing this is to make sure the stuff says exclusive to C4. Now there were boxes and boxes of unsold figures as of today, even after giving free ones out to those who bought a Monday pass, so I personally find it hard to beileve they will actually destory that much unsold product, cause it would be a boatload of lost money, but anyway the question is do you think they should be destroyed to keep the exclusiveness of the item or released through other means to allow more people to get them???

Destroying unsold product???

Why not put it up for sale on-line and let those that could not attend have a shot at the items. Once they are gone, they are gone.

Or are these folks so eager to take a loss on unsold product in the name of "exclusivity"? The stuff is limited run anyway--its STILL exclusive to them no matter what they do, right?

Sounds absurd to me.

"exclusivity" is such a lame excuse. These are not numbered. These are not stocks, they will not appreciate in value (sorry to pop a few bubbles out there).

In fact they should be sold to Hasbro or Starwars dot coms for resale to the public. Hell they should just hand over the molds to the toys so Hasbro can mass produce more for later sale on the pegs. Hasbro makes the figures anyways.

"exclusivity" please :rolleyes:

What a stupid thought. "Let's destroy these items that will sell for 20 bucks a piece just so we can maintain the "integrity" of our exclusive figure that is in reality owned by Hasbro and can be reissued by them in the future. Our paying customers will love us for keeping the value of their item high, and we will be remembered fondly by them now that we have tossed away so much cash that we are in debt up to our eyeballs with no way to come out if it." Looks silly when your read it, no?

Just to note, the figures are made by Hasbro but as I understand upon the agreement between the two parties these figures cannot be re-used and belong to Gen Con now. So don't know what kinda loopholes there are in that but lets just assume for this dicussion these figures will not be able to be re-released by Hasbro in some shape or form.

I would hope that in a community of collectors no one (aside from those hell-bent on selling them for the top dollar to a true collector unable to attend) would be upset that more people would be allowed to obtain these toys. Exclusive, chase, variant, etc.. are all nice ways of saying 'e-bay me please'. If there is that much merchandise left over sell it. And if the exclusivity (i had no idea that was a word till spell check picked up on it :D ) if a 'factor' change the packaging slightly so they can be distinguished.

And the fact that this was even brought up is mind-boggling to say the least.

I would hope that in a community of collectors no one (aside from those hell-bent on selling them for the top dollar to a true collector unable to attend) would be upset that more people would be allowed to obtain these toys. Exclusive, chase, variant, etc.. are all nice ways of saying 'e-bay me please'. If there is that much merchandise left over sell it. And if the exclusivity (i had no idea that was a word till spell check picked up on it :D ) if a 'factor' change the packaging slightly so they can be distinguished.

Believe it or not Capn' some people who collect like to have rare items that are limited, and its not always so they can sell it on eBay. The whole general concept behind collecting usually is to build a collection thats rare and to have things in it that others don't.

There is also the aspect that if you made the trip to LA to get these which were promoted as an exclusive to LA, then it kinda sucks when it does go on sale as just a general item a few days later.

I understand the desire for those who can't go to a con to want to have access to the item, but at the same time for many these are collectibles, and rare items and exclusives are very much a part of that.

I don't believe this will happen because Gen Con would loose alot of money, but the sentiment of trying to keep and actual exclusive, exclusive is something I don't consider to be a bad thing. Not because I hope to sell them on ebay for lots of money, but because I enjoy having rare and valuable things in my collection.

They should sell them online to people who could not attend the Con.I for one would be happy to buy one just as I did the exclusive Luke.These Gen Con people would have to be nuts to destroy them when there is a market for them.All they would have to do is add a sticker or something to them.That way those that went to LA have their exclusive and the rest of us can have the figures as well.Everyone wins!!!!

hell give it to toys for tots and give some kidds some loving for a change :) just seems like such a waste and a stupid thing to do... if anything SAVE them!! for the next years con! ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ... Offter the rest up for sale for those to those who went to the con... I figure they must have a list of at least some peoples email adresses & such... Or badge ID numbers... if you provide one I duno how that all works or if there is even anything like that but its an idea...

That way those who went to the con can decide what to do with them be it buy a bunch and sell em on ebay or what have you :P

Its BS from them imo. I was told by someone that this so called agreement is not quite what Gen Con wants you to believe. It was BS to try and get as many people to buy them at the Con. After that, Hasbro can and will take back any stock.

Draven

I'm not sure I like the idea of them destroying extra stock, but am all for the idea of an exclusive being rare and desirable by collectors. Just look at how much many of the exclusive sets from past GIJoe or Transformers conventions go for. Granted Master Collector didn't destroy wahtever stock was left, but it didn't turn up everywhere either. Just did a quick look on ebay to see how much a set might cost me and looks like they're going for $50 to $60 on average.

I love collecting, but I am so burned out on chase/variant/exclusives. It's disheartening at times to hear of a new "exclusive" just to know that I need to budget 2-5 times the actual cost to pay Ebay prices, lol

Hell, isn't it enough that 20% of the new 30th stuff is virtually chase? :)

But to answer the question, it would be silly to destroy it IMO.

Believe it or not Capn' some people who collect like to have rare items that are limited, and its not always so they can sell it on eBay. The whole general concept behind collecting usually is to build a collection thats rare and to have things in it that others don't.

There is also the aspect that if you made the trip to LA to get these which were promoted as an exclusive to LA, then it kinda sucks when it does go on sale as just a general item a few days later.

Um, I always thought most people collected things because they were interested in the subject of the collectible and just wanted to get them, rarity aside. Most of the folks I know that actually collect for enjoyment and not profit could care less if there were 1 TRILLION of an item or 10, so long as it were something they wanted to own.

I personally think it would be pretty STUPID to destroy them just because they wanted to protect the exclusivity of it all. If they want to maintain that it was not purchased at CIV, then get a sticker or something printed up that states (Internet Sale) or punch the cards or something to denote that it's not purchased at the con so those people who went could still feel "special". I'm hoping that the sculpts aren't protected by the agreement they made with Gencon, but the 2pack sold as 2 figures together is and that these get released as 2 individually carded figures later at least. If Hasbro signed an agreement that doesn't let them sell their own characters in another format that are key components to a sub-set collection that they are promoting, then they are exceedingly stupid. I really have a feeling that the agreement is for THAT set and not those individual figures.

Anyway, I guess we'll see. At least Hasbro released the Luke online.