MP-5 Megatron Gun Mode - Right Side

picture048agj8.jpg

MP-5 Megatron Gun Mode - Left Side

picture047ank0.jpg

MP-5 Megatron Gun Mode - Height comparison with Hasbro OP

picture049atd3.jpg

MP-5 MEGATRON LENNON92'S REVIEW:

ROBOT MODE

Over-all the looks is good.. except for the skinny legs of course.... All parts have chrome finishing.. and so far i dont see paint chip or smudeges...

die-cast part as i have checked... is mostly on the skinny leg/gun handle part... although compared to the MP Optimus Prime, it's lighter....

with the skinny leg, it's hard to make it stand.. worst if you put the scope/blaster on his hand since it's heavy... you have to make it in such a way that it will be balanced... joints are tight (that's a good thing for robot mode... bad for transforming)...

one thing to note is that it has a lot of dangling parts connected only by "detacheable" ball joints... the shoulders/gun trigger... the hips/part of gun handle... the leg/part of gun handle.... if you're not careful, you may think you broke it.... it can be replaced though.. but do it often, it will probably get loosed and then you'll have many problems...

blaster/scope has some red LED light you can turn-on by pressing the button on the side....

GUN MODE / TRANSFORMATION

Like i said in my previous reply... transforming the MP-5 isH E L L ! ! ! It requires so much procedure... and making it worst is that sometimes the picture is hard to understand and the Nihongo description is no help at all (not even for me since I can read katakana and hiragana characters... most are in Kanji....unless your fluent maybe)... as mentioned, the tight joints are ok for action figures... but if you transform it, it will create a lot of trouble for you... example is the shoulders which you should bend to detatch it from the torso part... i had a hard time removing it, only to find out there is lock inside and you have to force it... which will probably make the ball-jointed "shoulder" pad/gun trigger part to be removed most of the time....

by the way, in the arms part, you have to press it in to make it thinner... THERE IS A PLASTIC BLISTER INSIDE IT THAT WILL PROBABLY COMES OFF AND YOU MAY THINK IT'S PART OF THE TOY BUT IT'S NOT... it's just there probably part of the packaging... dont worry about where it came from and think you broke ur figure... hehehe...

tight joints made it hard for me to make the interconnection smoothly as possible... you can see from the gun mode pic, there spaces on the trigger part and the handle part.. that is because i can not make connect properly.... all in all, most parts should be locked tightly together... and most of the time you have to use force to do so....and because of that and the hard procedure to transform it to a gun, NOW I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TURN IT BACK TO ROBOT MODE!!!! whuaaaaaa....

in gun mode, the MP-5 is HUGE!!! as u can see on the pic... can even imagine how a skinny megatron turns-out to be a huge gun!... I have to salute TAKARA design team for a brilian imagingation!!! d@Mn you're good!

In summary, MP-5 is one hell of great "MASTERPIECE"!!! It's definitely worth it! It is so true to the original G1 Megatron look! (Except for the skinny leg... hehehe). I'm more of a Marvel fan, but definitely MP-5 makes my MP4 and Hasbro 20th Anniv Prime complete... hmmm... should i get the MP-3 as well... lemme think about it! Or maybe get another MP-5 to make one in Robot mode, the other gun mode, like i did to MP-4 and Hasbro's.... or better yet, if Hasbro comes out with their 10th anniv. version with a stand (which hopefully help it stand) and talks as well, THAT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA!

Thanks for the pics and the review.

The hype for this one made my expectations for it incredibly high. I'm just a little disappointed. It doesn't look as impressive as Prime. I'll have to think this one over a little, but if the gun mode had the attachments, I'll jump on it. Gun mode just doesn't look right without them.

Looks good, though honestly it doesn't look to different from the orginal, just bigger. Question can you move the gun barrel in robot mode so its under his chest, like it the cartoon?

actually it's a bit hard to make different poses with the canon since it's SOOOO BIGGGG... and even if you were able to do something about it, the next hurdle would be making it stand with it's skinny leg and the center of gravity shifted because of the heavy cannon....

I'm no Takara-designer, but I bet sculpting faces for sentient robots has got to be tough. G1 faces tend to be pretty stylized and minimalistic, with only a few lines to evoke a character. Plus Masterpiece walks a thin line between realism and cartoon accuracy. You can't just stick a Gundam head on there, and nobody would want a cartoony expression like the Beast Wars Megatron toys! I'd like to hear from the designer (in translation, of course) and find out if the face was one of the very last decisions made on the figure. I dig the gangly legs, though, as someone who's always been a fan of the old Megatron and Shockwave toys. Sometimes the toys made for more interesting robots than the streamlined cartoon models.

So, is the over-sized gun as realistically creepy as the little '80s version? Thinking about the original Megatron in the hands of an 8-year-old puts visions of the child actors from Diff'rent Strokes in my head!

Yeah flat out his head sucks! I mean its not suppose to be that long & it is WAY TO THIN, I honestly think the height & width of the head were mixed up, he has Tyra Banks forehead for Christ's sake, & to top it off they didn't give him his "eyebrows" ( the 2 black line on top of his eyes) what gives??? Dammit another project I don't have time to do!

I'm no Takara-designer, but I bet sculpting faces for sentient robots has got to be tough. G1 faces tend to be pretty stylized and minimalistic, with only a few lines to evoke a character. Plus Masterpiece walks a thin line between realism and cartoon accuracy. You can't just stick a Gundam head on there, and nobody would want a cartoony expression like the Beast Wars Megatron toys! I'd like to hear from the designer (in translation, of course) and find out if the face was one of the very last decisions made on the figure. I dig the gangly legs, though, as someone who's always been a fan of the old Megatron and Shockwave toys. Sometimes the toys made for more interesting robots than the streamlined cartoon models.

So, is the over-sized gun as realistically creepy as the little '80s version? Thinking about the original Megatron in the hands of an 8-year-old puts visions of the child actors from Diff'rent Strokes in my head!

I agree. I believe the head is narrow because it folds inside that one thingy that is used to cock the gun. Here is a pic from fantofan

apr2007-3.jpg