New 5 Pack Announced - Cobra Battle Pack #2

ARBCO

Well, as I stated back on the first page - these packs are a placeholder (which many lines have been known to have listed) and it seems EE and BBTS as well as other online toy-stores tend to put out possible rosters they have heard of before it is confirmed. Neither sites have actual pics of said box set, but they do have the 'Subject to change' tag. These could be true, but as others have said - without pictures I'm not holding my breath. But SDCC is coming up in the not-to-far future that would be when I would expect more concrete news.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SDCC is July 26-29. Not real close. Still like three months off. But still closer then the Joecon which is September 27 - 30.

And here is another Recipe I'm sure some people won't like, You could use Roadblock's torso and arms for Copperhead. Glue two like Bicep rings on his arms, get a new holster to put on over the top. New wasit and legs. Put the Trooper head on there, and then get a new mold helmet and put that on over that.

We don't even know if these parts are interchangeable - it doesn't look like they're using o-ringed construction, and who knows if there's a screw back there. If these things are more like Star Wars figures, we probably won't be seeing a lot of mixing and matching. I don't recall them doing it in that line very much. Repaints yes, shared accessories yes, but not much in the way of frankensteined figures.

SDCC is July 26-29. Not real close. Still like three months off. But still closer then the Joecon which is September 27 - 30.

And here is another Recipe I'm sure some people won't like, You could use Roadblock's torso and arms for Copperhead. Glue two like Bicep rings on his arms, get a new holster to put on over the top. New wasit and legs. Put the Trooper head on there, and then get a new mold helmet and put that on over that.

I'm not sure of this, but it seems that Roadblock might be quite a bit bigger than the others. Slightly too buff, I would think, at the very least.

Well Copperhead could be a be a big guy too. His and Roadblock's figures where the same size back in the day....course everyone was the same size back in the day.

But you might be right about them being not interchangeable. But I don't think the lack of a screw, which I do think these lack, automaticly means that they arn't intechangeable. Size and consturction difference might, but I don't think no screw means no swapping. Marvel Legends mix and match parts a lot and they don't have screws.

I would be pissed if they were non-interchangable. That would make them useless for custom fodder if they had say, loose joints or some horrible defect. The Stinger Driver is the only figure besides the COBRA trooper that has my interest so far, since the Stinger Drivers are either too expensive to get in good condition or have paint wear/yellowing when they're at a cheaper price.

I would be pissed if they were non-interchangable. That would make them useless for custom fodder if they had say, loose joints or some horrible defect. The Stinger Driver is the only figure besides the COBRA trooper that has my interest so far, since the Stinger Drivers are either too expensive to get in good condition or have paint wear/yellowing when they're at a cheaper price.

It'd be cool if they were, but I wouldn't count on them being any more "interchangeable" than, say, current Star Wars figures, since they're such a departure from traditional Joe design. But then again, people do customize that stuff too, right?

Not interchangable? sorry, not buying that one. They have all the same joints at all the same places, unlike many sw figs. I'm willing to bet these are interchangable but we won't be able to do it easily. IN house at hasbro in the molding process it can be done, or we can use a lot of the boil and pop method and be very very careful.

As for roadblock and copperhead, ddp showed copperhead to be a huge guy, the orginal figures just didn't show size differences.

And, how are the Jetpack Trooper and, presumably the Cobra Officer, NOT "different in the same way" Flint and Duke are? I don't understand your point there.

Flint may use all (except the head) of the Duke mold but he still a diferrent character. Stinger Driver may use all of the Cobra mold but IT IS STILL A DIFFERENT CHARACTER.

Flint is, basically just a repaint of Duke. Stinger Driver is, basically just a repaint of Cobra.

Because Flint (the character) is not Duke in different clothes, he is a different character entirely. Stinger Driver isn't a different character than a Cobra Oficer, he is just a Cobra Officer in different color clothes. there is a huge difference between those concepts.

if a consumer doesn't care to have a gray Cobra Offficer, they don't care to have a Stringer Driver. But noody says they aren't going to buy Flint because they don't need/want another Duke. I don't know if I can simplify that dynamic anymore.

not to mention, that Stinger Driver isn't the character's code name, it is his specialty. His code name is The Enemy, the same as the Cobra Officer, and their filecards are the same, further proof that Stinger Driver isn't a seperate character from the Officer, just an Officer that drives the Stinger, and the toy just a repainted Cobra Officer, not an entirely different character. if he is a different character, by that criteria so is the blue Sand Viper form the Glider, simply because he is a different color and flies a glider and not just a regular Sand Viper. but I don't think anybody considers that figure as anything more than just a repainted Sand Viper and actually a completely different character from Sand Vipers. or the yellow Neo-Viper is a different characeter from regular Neo-Vipers, and not simply a repaint, because it pilots the Battle Hornet. see the difference now?

That clarifies things.

However, I notice you focused on the "easy" character. Some people DO consider the "Stinger Driver" to be a wholy different "character" than the Cobra Officer (and yes, I use the different colored Neo-Vipers, et al as "different" characters). But I see your point.

But what about the Jet Pack Trooper? I notice you ignored him and that character, so far as I know is a WHOLY NEW CHARACTER. Ever hear of the guy before now? It's possible he's just a repaint of Cobra...we don't know. And that puts that "character" outside your point right now.

JEEZ I WANNA SEE PICS ALEADY, LOL

Well, as far as the comic pack version of the soldier, you can imagine it will be pretty much like this...

cobrasoldiersus7.png

and Stinger Driver like so...

stingerly5.png

Not interchangable? sorry, not buying that one. They have all the same joints at all the same places, unlike many sw figs. I'm willing to bet these are interchangable but we won't be able to do it easily. IN house at hasbro in the molding process it can be done, or we can use a lot of the boil and pop method and be very very careful.

As for roadblock and copperhead, ddp showed copperhead to be a huge guy, the orginal figures just didn't show size differences.

Well yeah, that's what I meant. It probably won't be as easy as RAH or new-sculpt stuff.

As for Copperhead, he wasn't big in the same way Roadblock was in the old cartoon, which, along with the original comic, is what they should be referencing as far as I'm concerned (along with the original figures and packaging of course).

i'm pretty sure i saw a leg screw in one of the pics of the 25th figures so they probably will not be as hard as sw figures to customize. i'm sure people will be swithing heads and repainting right away. but as far as full out customs with sculpy and part switching i think it will take at least a month afte the first wave hits stores for customizers to start overhauling the figures.

stinger what? urban officer? ah! that's nice. My complaint about the comic colored trooper is that i just want to see the basic one released over and over and over again and this pack would have been another chance for that.

stinger what? urban officer? ah! that's nice. My complaint about the comic colored trooper is that i just want to see the basic one released over and over and over again and this pack would have been another chance for that.

There are a lot of us that would. But it isn't really a good idea from a marketing standpoint.

I buy the first one in the 5 pack, why would I want another? Sure a lot of us are army builders and don't particularly like Cobra's Rainbow Brigades, but it sells.

Look at the 1,356,334,000 different Clone troopers. "Hey THIS one has a red dot on his head! I gotta get him!" Granted those are Star Wars geeks, but the idea works here too.

The easiest way to handle the situation is to make ALL figures out in singles.

But what about the Jet Pack Trooper? I notice you ignored him and that character, so far as I know is a WHOLY NEW CHARACTER. Ever hear of the guy before now? It's possible he's just a repaint of Cobra...we don't know. And that puts that "character" outside your point right now.

if he ends up a completely different character, then I will concede that my point doesn't apply to him. but if he ends up just being a Cobra Trooper with a jet pack, then that is all he is, a Cobra Trooper with a jet back, and only a different character from a regular Cobra Trooper only in the same way that the Stinger Driver is different from the Cobra Officer.

sure, some people may consider the Stinger Driver a different character, but we must seperate how we use/think of them from what they are, and ultimately, all he is is a Cobra Officer who dresses in gray and drives a jeep.

if he ends up a completely different character, then I will concede that my point doesn't apply to him. but if he ends up just being a Cobra Trooper with a jet pack, then that is all he is, a Cobra Trooper with a jet back, and only a different character from a regular Cobra Trooper only in the same way that the Stinger Driver is different from the Cobra Officer.

sure, some people may consider the Stinger Driver a different character, but we must seperate how we use/think of them from what they are, and ultimately, all he is is a Cobra Officer who dresses in gray and drives a jeep.

Fair enough.

I might have missed a point somewhere along the way, but WHY is it a BAD thing to consider such characters as different/seperate?

Did you not think that, perhaps, as with the original 13, they only had so many molds available?

Fair enough.

I might have missed a point somewhere along the way, but WHY is it a BAD thing to consider such characters as different/seperate?

Did you not think that, perhaps, as with the original 13, they only had so many molds available?

it isn't that it is a bad thing, I was just making the point that the 5 Cobra figures in the set were simply repainted versions of figures we will have already gotten, thus putting in a new character entirely, such as Major Bludd, would be a worse choice by Hasbro then repainted SS and CC. at least now, anyone who is willing to buy the set is obviously willing to accept repaints. but what about the consumers who just want the one new character and don't care for repaints, are they supposed to be expected to have to choose to either buy a set of repainted figures they may not want just to get Bludd or pass on the set entirely. hardly a sensible tactic by Hasbro to entice their consumers. at least now, it is just all repainted characters, so if you don't care for repaints you can just pass it up without having to pass up on the one single character not available elsewhere.

that of course led to the debate that new characters were included, i.e. the Stinger Driver, Jet Pack Trooper, which I said were not "new" characters but old characters, Officers and Trooper, simply with different specialties. even the Viper Pilot, which we are just speculating is the basis for the Jet Pack Trooper and may very well be just the 25th Trooper mold with a silver emblem and painted in Trooper colors, is just a Cobra Soldier, not a unique character, and has the exact same code name and filecard as the 82 Trooper, meaning he isn't a new character at all, just simply your ordinary Cobrta Trooper who flies the glider.

and obviously that was dependent upon the amount of molds available. but Hasbro didn't just take those Cobra molds and make new characters, they made simply the same characters, the Officers and Troopers, with different job functions, but made it very clear with identical code names and filecards, that they were the same characters, i.e. Cobra Officers and Troopers, not new characters, like a Cobra Viper or SAW Viper.

While I'm thinking about it, what happened to Cobra Battle Pack #1? Is the first 5 pack?

Yes, "Battlepacks" are Hasbro's favored term for multipacks, and with the announcement of pack number 2, we may very well be seeing more since the concept has done quite well in Star Wars.

Fair enough.

it isn't that it is a bad thing, I was just making the point that the 5 Cobra figures in the set were simply repainted versions of figures we will have already gotten, thus putting in a new character entirely, such as Major Bludd, would be a worse choice by Hasbro then repainted SS and CC. at least now, anyone who is willing to buy the set is obviously willing to accept repaints. but what about the consumers who just want the one new character and don't care for repaints, are they supposed to be expected to have to choose to either buy a set of repainted figures they may not want just to get Bludd or pass on the set entirely. hardly a sensible tactic by Hasbro to entice their consumers. at least now, it is just all repainted characters, so if you don't care for repaints you can just pass it up without having to pass up on the one single character not available elsewhere.

that of course led to the debate that new characters were included, i.e. the Stinger Driver, Jet Pack Trooper, which I said were not "new" characters but old characters, Officers and Trooper, simply with different specialties. even the Viper Pilot, which we are just speculating is the basis for the Jet Pack Trooper and may very well be just the 25th Trooper mold with a silver emblem and painted in Trooper colors, is just a Cobra Soldier, not a unique character, and has the exact same code name and filecard as the 82 Trooper, meaning he isn't a new character at all, just simply your ordinary Cobrta Trooper who flies the glider.

and obviously that was dependent upon the amount of molds available. but Hasbro didn't just take those Cobra molds and make new characters, they made simply the same characters, the Officers and Troopers, with different job functions, but made it very clear with identical code names and filecards, that they were the same characters, i.e. Cobra Officers and Troopers, not new characters, like a Cobra Viper or SAW Viper.

Okay, I see.

The argument, though, lies in giving the collectors something (hence the Stinger Driver, I think). I can see putting in a core character, but why TWO? Would it have killed to put in an other unique individual? For simplicty of argument, what if they took Destro's body, threw on a Cobra head with an eye patch and said it was Major Bludd?

Wouldn't make sense that a pack with a NEW character, even if just a frankenstein, would help sell the pack better than yet ANOTHER repaint of Cobra Commander and/or Storm Shadow? For the new collectors, maybe it gives them a chance to pick up Cobra Commander/Storm Shadow if they haven't already...presuming the two aren't STILL on the shelf (either in the previous 5 pack or as singles). But for the collectors, do they think the "draw" of the Stinger Driver is going to be enough to put up with all the OTHER figures in the set?

I mean we have "wave 1": Storm Shadow/Cobra Commander in a 5 pack. "Wave 2" Storm Shadow/Cobra Commader as a single. "Wave 3" Storm Shadow/Cobra Commander "2004". Isn't that a bit over doing it?

They could just have easily done the half-ass route they went with Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes version 2 with DESTRO here. Same figure, gold head and cape. At least then it wouldn't be Storm Shadow and Cobra Commander in EVERY wave.