30th Anniversary Galactic Marine

Whitewolf

After the disappointment of "Oil-slick R2-D2, " I felt a momentary pang of trepidation on whether Hasbro's new Anniversary Collection line is going to be a string of hit-or-miss figures, but once I had a chance to look over some of the others, boy am I glad I didn't give up so early in the game...

The Galactic Marine is the focus of today's review, and surprisingly I have very little negative to say about this figure. In various posts and threads in the past, I have made it well known that I was never overcome with rampant Clone Lust like other collectors have suffered. To me, buying the same Clone Trooper figure in a rainbow of colored pinstriping quickly grew old. So when I first saw early prototype photos of this figure, the anticipation I felt for this figure's release surprised me. Perhaps its because the Galactic Marine is basically the predecessor to the modern Snowtrooper, much like the Elite Corps Trooper is the granddaddy of the Biker Scout.

DSC_2476_edited-1.jpg

First off, lets start with the sculpting and articulation...

This is easily one of the best offerings that has been produced in quite a while. With a total of 9 ball-socket joints, the Galactic Marine is super-articulated. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the basis that Hasbro intends to use for the VTAC Snowtrooper later in its production run. the backpack accessory inserts into a hole at the center of the figure's back, allowing an easy swap-out between the Republic-era survival pack and the Imperial-era heater/life-support pack.

DSC_2478_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2480_edited-1.jpg

The legs and boots have a nice thickness to them that make them appear to be worn over the clone's existing armor. The helmet/rebreather hood is removable, and has the distinctive Snowtrooper-esque design that will be seen later on in the Original Trilogy, although the eye lenses of the Galactic Marine's helmet seem to be part of the rebreather hood rather than part of the helmet, like the Snowtrooper.

DSC_2482_edited-1.jpg

The paint scheme on the Galactic Marine is superb, with clean and even apps all over the body and limbs. The white boots are weathered quite nicely, giving them a gritty well-worn look. Areas of the maroon chest plate and waist coat are also weathered with a combination of dirt spatters and battle-wear. I'm glad to see that Hasbro gave this figure the 360-degree treatment instead of just weathering the front of the figure like so many standard-issue clones in the past. The backpack is also given a dark wash to make it blend in with the rest of the figure's armor and gear.

As far as accessories go, the Galactic Marine comes with the following:

*Removable Helmet

*Removable Backpack

*Removable Shoulder Pauldron

*DC-15 Blaster Rifle (Evolutions version)

*Collector's Coin #02

DSC_2481_edited-1.jpg

For once, a Prequel Trilogy clone figure that I actually like! The planets must REALLY be out of alignment. I can see that this will be a must-have for army builders...or those who have a sadistic streak against Conehead Jedi with Fu-Manchu mustaches. Overall a great figure and just the thing to redeem the Anniversary Collection in this reviewer's eyes.

I give the Galactic Marine 5 Death Stars.

My particular Galactic Marine doesn't seem to suffer from the "overly-arched bootheel" problem that I've heard a few people complain about. The bottoms of the feet are perfectly flat on both the heel and the sole. Maybe this figure was produced in several different production runs and I just happened to get a figure with corrected feet. I dunno...I guess I just lucked out.

Mine won't stand either. Seems like the backpack throws the balance off. The boots seem fairly flat on the bottom. Nice-looking figure regardless, and there are plenty stands left from previous series to display it upright. I was disappointed with the look of the poorly painted white hood of the Order-66 version. Just as well, didn't need to spend $60 on those Target repaints anyhow. Btw, they also had Ambush in Ilum battle packs on clearance for $4.98.

I got like 6 of these, they truly are one of the best clones (besides the evolution set) to come out. the 30th anniversery line is really sweet.