What counts as independent?..

synch

Just wondering what counts as independent CBCs?..

What about things like TMNT?.. Would we ever see stuff like that done by someone like marvel toys?.. I know playmates makes tmnt toys but they seem to only be series & movie based stuff... I'd really like to see some newer comic versions tmnt figures and even some B&W versions :D

what about things like wildcats and spawn as well?.. mcfarlanes statues are nice but toys they are not :P

The answer is simple, its whatever license can be obtained. TMNT is in the hands of Playmates, so your not going to see them. Wouldn't expect to see anyone do McFarlane created characters but McFarlane.

what about stuff like archie comics jay ? :)

I dout it buy a guy can dream can't he ?.. From jughead to betty to archie and dilton I'd buy the entire gang :P BAF MR weatherb or whatever his name is HAHA :P Those guys are so hardcore with there licening though, some guy had a webpage up for his lil girl called veronica and they tryed to shut it down :D

Well again, if Marvel Toys wanted to go to Archie Comics and see if they can get the license to do Archie products, they certainly could. I doubt Archie characters fit the demographic MT is looking to reach with this line. Now if your looking for a percise definition of what an independent comic character is, that would be characters that are still owned by the individual creator of said characters as oppsed to a company owning the rights. Marvel and DC characters are owned by Marvel and DC Comics not the indivduals that actually created those characters.

SOme stuff I'm just not sure what it would fall under :) Like even the tmnt is still owned by the original creators even though playmates has the contract or what not by the toys yknow :D

anyways yea thats pretty much all I was wondering about about some stuff :)

SOme stuff I'm just not sure what it would fall under :) Like even the tmnt is still owned by the original creators even though playmates has the contract or what not by the toys yknow :D

anyways yea thats pretty much all I was wondering about about some stuff :)

TMNT is still licensed to Playmates from Mirage Studios. Eastman and Laird have never surrendered their rights to their characters, still retain full control over their creations...........all the way to the bank.

The licenses that most likely can be used are any not tied up any litigation or part of the Big 2 ( Marvel and DC)

Ultraforce was part of Malibu, but is now absorbed by Marvel--hard to say if it would be able to appear with this line, or if Hasbro would technically have the rights to it.

Anything from McFarlane would be out, unless he agrees to it-and he has his own company to do his own toys anyway.

Archie, Disney stuff....those kinds of books, they'd be a unlikely fit here. So too would properties mainly associated with TV or movies.

The Charlton stuff is part of DC--so we will not see them.

Some of the Dark Horse stuff, like Conan--which I think is currently in their stable--and some of the older Legends imprint stuff. We have Monkey Man and O'Brien, but Hellboy is over at Mezco. Next Men might happen only if Byrne comes to the table.

Stuff like titles from the other 2000Ad comics: Dr and Quinch, Strontium Dog, Dan Dare would be good fits.

First Comics, Comico, maybe even Aardvark-Vanaheim ( Cerebus?) seem possible.

Alot of these are looking to be creator owned heroes.......smaller press stuff.

I'm quietly ( okay, NOT so quietly) hoping they do Richard Comely's Captain Canuck-- or even NorthGuard and Fleur de Lis.......

Groo is a possible, even the more off-beat stuff like Boris the Bear. Elfquest, Asterix and Obelix, Tin-tin.....there's all kinds of prominent characters out there that could fit this line.

If its something not currently tied to a major player, then its fair game.

Independant Comics are basically anything not owned by DC or Marvel, that are distributed through other companies such as Image, Darkhorse, Mirage, Aspen, and I'll even include Wildstorm, even though they come under the DC imprint nowadays. So yes the Teenga Mutant Ninja Turtles are independant comic characeters.

However, Marvel Toys does not have the ability to make figures of anything independant, only what they have been liscenced for. So TMNT are unfortunately off the table, as are most things currently liscenced by Mezco, Shocker Toys, McFarlane ect. No TMNT, Spawn, Hellboy, or Shadowhawk figures anytime soon unfortunatlely.

Doesn't mean it can't happen though. Neca made the Sin City movie figures, but Marv is being released by Marvel toys. I'm just hoping that sooner or later, the other off limits characters can be made, especially Wildstorm, considering how DC Direct has neglected them.

• 1 month later...