Who could be a "Classics"?

pesatyel

Partly from Madman's "Gimmicks" thread and my own thinking about it, what obscure or "less popular" characters do you think could be (or, perhaps, deserve) the "Classics" treatment.

There really two way to think about the subject, as I see it.

Gimmick or no Gimmick.

Back then, there were really only two types of TFs: Bricks that just transformed and bricks that transformed and did something else.

We've seen the quality of the former and what 21st century technology can do to a Transformer. I mean compare G1 Starscream and Classics Starscream, for example.

Then he have the others like Smokescreen/Silverstreak/Prowl. Or Brawn/Outback

But there are the "less popular" guys. Take the Throttlebots as an example. Goldbug, Chase, Freeway, etc. Not that great in 1987. What about 2007? Would they be as good as the current Classics? But, more importantly perhaps, what about the gimmick? Would it work? Or is it best left out.

Or say the Head/Target/Power Masters. Look at what they could do with Mini-Cons. Imagine what they could do with them. But would it be necessary? Or would it be best if Hardhead or Skullcruncher didn't have the gimmick? Just transformed with the same...quality as the current Classics?

Whom would you like to see and would they retain their gimmick?

Oh and if the mods think this is too similar to Madman's topic, they can merge them. I wasn't sure myself since it was about the "Classics" line more so than his.

As I said in MMs post I want everything haha!

Hell yeah.

There was another thread some time ago talking abou repaints and I listed off several that would work with the currently existing molds.

Goldbug, Chase and Searchlight, three of the Throttlebots, for example would all work with the Bumblebee mold. In that particular case, I think it best to leave out the gimmick.

The Jumpstarters, however, I think would make for interesting Classics...WITH the gimmick.

I must be the only one, but I'd like to see Thunderwing get better than the simple minicon treatment. He doesn't have to be a pretender, but I'd like to see him become a major player in something other than comics.

We also need a NEW Soundwave with ALL of his minions. A Blaster counterpart wouldn't be too bad either. I'd make SW Voyager sized and his minions could come in minicon like 3 packs. Whether he has cassettes, CD's or whatever as minions...I don't care.

No repaints though...I'd like to see new figures for these.

Instead of repaints except for the obvious (Thundercracker, Dirge, and Thrust), I think its time for new molds. I'd like to see Ironhide, Ratchet, Prowl, Soundwave, and Blaster get the Classics treatment. We've already got Smokescreen from the repaint of Cybertron Crosswise, but I think it would be cool to see a Stunticons set that merges from some molds. You could to a Motormaster out of Prime (with a new head) but add pegs for connecting arms, legs, and combiner parts. Mirage could be Dragstrip and Bumblebee could be another car, but it would just need two more molds. I really would LOVE to see the combiners get the Classics treatment.

Yes I'd like to see new molds as well or at least slight remolds ...

THe cliffjumper figure is freaking awful both in paint job and robot mode due to the bumble bee head! All they needed to do was change the head a bit and no one would complain about it LOL! Repaints are fine for guys like seekers but not everyone else

I would allso like to see power master optimus again in classic form haha! I wouldn't care if they used the same prime mold as long as they made the proper changes too it :)

Shockwave.

With lights and sounds.

Soundwave, as a mobile phone with his minions as memorycards.

And MP3-playing capabilities.

Aerialbots/Stunticons.

With full combiner functions.

A real Constructicons/Devastator-set.

Omega Surpeme.

With lights and motorization.

Skylynx.

With motorization.

I would welcome more redesigned figures from late-era G1 such as Hardhead, Misfire, etc but I can absolutely do without the Headmaster gimmick. I see no need for it. Targetmasters are cool but not if it takes away from the main figure.

As for what Classics I want, we are in dire need of more Diaclone car remakes like Jazz, Prowl, Wheeljack, Hound, the vans, etc. On the 'Con side, I really want to see Blitzwing, the Insecticons, and the Battlechargers (without the flippy gimmick obviously).

I would welcome more redesigned figures from late-era G1 such as Hardhead, Misfire, etc but I can absolutely do without the Headmaster gimmick. I see no need for it. Targetmasters are cool but not if it takes away from the main figure.

As for what Classics I want, we are in dire need of more Diaclone car remakes like Jazz, Prowl, Wheeljack, Hound, the vans, etc. On the 'Con side, I really want to see Blitzwing, the Insecticons, and the Battlechargers (without the flippy gimmick obviously).

I could really go for new city bots. A new Metroplex, Fort Max, Scorponok and even an Overlord. I know they would be pricey, but sooo worth it.

How about an original Orion Pax fig?

Alpha Trion is long overdue as well.

• 5 years later...
I would allso like to see power master optimus again in classic form haha! I wouldn't care if they used the same prime mold as long as they made the proper changes too it :)

YES...that has never occured to me, for Hasbro/Takara to do a Classics/Henkei Powermaster Prime. That would be incredible...

Speaking of that particular wave, I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the Powermasters, Headmasters, and the Targetmasters, both the Autobots and Decepticons. And...wouldn't it be cool to get Classics/Henkei versions of those later Targetmasters and Headmasters, like Nightbeat and the like? There were some awesome designs in those later waves that just suffered from smaller sizes and lessened articulation.

And I will also admit to a deep dark secret; I'd also like to see some...Pretenders. (lol) Yes, it was a ridiculous concept, but for some reason I was mesmerized by the whole notion anyway. The human and monster shells could be completely articulated, and the chest could house the Transformer that would be folded up into like a compact ball size, kinda like their protoforms from the films. That way you could still have the disguise but also have more articulation.

i like the gimmicks and some of them have worked out fine, targetmaster cyclonus, headmasters omega supreme and energon ultra magnus, double agent longarm/shockwave bring on the gimmicks as far as i'm concerned, heck i'm surprised a 3rd party hasn't given us Kup and Scourge's targetmasters