Guy in charge of new Animated Spidey spills beans

pastwatch2001

Greg Weisman is the man in charge of bringing Spidey to animated form in 2008. Based on everything he mentioned in this interview, I wish him the best and hope he succeeds. I hope we get to see some concept sketches soon so that I can get an idea of what the figures will look like. :)

Excerpt:

You mention the early Spider-Man stories as an influence, but since you're doing a contemporary update of the mythos, does "Ultimate Spider-Man" have an influence on this series?

Well my attitude is that a good idea is a good idea is a good idea. If Bendis did something we like in "Ultimate Spider-Man" then I won't be shy about stealing from him like I steal from Lee, or Ditko, or Romita [laughs]. Likewise, if there's an idea in the films that we like, we'll integrate it into this series. But we're not doing "Ultimate Spider-Man" or the Spider-Man movies. We're trying to create a series, and what I'm about to say — I know, please don't disconnect the context here. I know it's going to sound arrogant, naïve or both — but we're trying to create the classic Spider-Man series, the one that ten years from now people will look back and say, "wow, that was Spider-Man." I recognize that I might be kidding myself and I realize that we've set a large goal for ourselves, but the goal is to create something contemporary and timeless. The bible for us is the old stuff and if there's a good current idea, we'll grab it and give credit where it's due. I'm not shy about giving credit where it's due. We want to have fun with the show and have something with a timeless feel, so we're taking these characters from the series, contemporizing them and bringing them into the 21st Century, having fun with them.

This sounds awesome. This will probably be way better than the Fox Kids 90's version. A spider-man cartoon should be easier to do than the upcoming Wolverine cartoon. Spider-Mans history is easier to tell and they already know where to start. The beginning. I like it!

Spider-man TAS is the show that we look back on say "wow, that was spider-man." If they would like to top that, I'm very much in favor, but its gonna be damn hard.

I tend to agree for the most part. There were some parts that got a little corny and MJ should really have changed her outfit once in awhile, but for the most part that series totally nailed it. I imagine the animation will be better in the new series, but they're really going to have to work to cover as many bases as the 90's show did.

I think they are going to show Gwen Stacy in this show, you can tell there thinking long term if there starting from the very beginning. This show is going to be around for a while. All they need is a good network like 4Kids to make sure it has that longevity. In the 90's Fox show Spider-Man wasn't allowed to punch anyone. This spiderman show is going to be the show everyone will look back on as being the best and most complete.

I will support this cartoon 100% if it's based, like he said on the 616 MU Spidey & not the Ultimate Spidey or movie version.

Also, if they show him slugging & kicking villians & vice versa, & utilizing actual web shooters & not organic webbing!

he's got his plate full if he hopes to make it better than the 90s series.

Remember the 90's version, they didn't really get the chance to finish the show they wanted too. Mary Jane was still missing, Fox pulled out of the deal. They were so dumb.

In the 90's Fox show Spider-Man wasn't allowed to punch anyone. This spiderman show is going to be the show everyone will look back on as being the best and most complete.

yeah i always found it amusing spidey never actually punched anybody, he took a swing at Gobby in the episode where he thought he killed MJ, but that was it

Power Rangers were allowed to throw punches because it was Saban's baby and flagship show. TMNT: The Next Mutation was getting better ratings than Power Rangers so Saban pulled the plug on funding for it. The 90's Spidey really tried to be a good Spiderman cartoon which is why it lasted as long as it did. I hope this new one is worth it.

I will support this cartoon 100% if it's based, like he said on the 616 MU Spidey & not the Ultimate Spidey or movie version.

Also, if they show him slugging & kicking villians & vice versa, & utilizing actual web shooters & not organic webbing!

he's got his plate full if he hopes to make it better than the 90s series.

Do not expect "slugging and kicking" kinds of violence with this show. A lot of action adventure cartoons these days have all kinds of strictures of violence from the various networks standards and practises.

They strictures DO vary a bit from network to network, but there's a lot of common ones.

Actual punches or kicks are usually verboten.

The show I'm working on right now disallows head-shots of any kind, attacks towards camera ( this is the viewer) and weapon of a realistic nature used in a likewise realistic manner--so no sword strikes, no projectile guns etc.

There's a few ways around this, but its not going to breed the rough and tumble kind of thing you might be looking for.

There's not enough info in this interview to say where this thing is going to go. Its the usual fluff and bluster.

I do like what he's says about respecting the characters...........but hey, EVERYONE doing this stuff says that, even if they turn in a POS. For my money, it really depends on the look of the thing and that means the design, storyboard and writing crews.

Spider-man TAS is the show that we look back on say "wow, that was spider-man." If they would like to top that, I'm very much in favor, but its gonna be damn hard.

words out of mouth my friend :D I use to rush home from school to watch that thing :D If I recall it came on at 3:30 which gave me half an hour to get my ass home :D

Look at TMNT! Now that is an awesome show. 100 TIMES better than the original, and it was edgy. And no i'm not talking about Fast Forward. Spider-Man's not an edgy guy but i really want the Wolverine cartoon to be somewhat like TMNT. True to the comic and edgy. So cartoon shows can be edgy and kill, punch, and slice. You just have to know the rules and work around it.

Say what you will Kamala, the classic TMNT show holds a special place in my heart!! I loved watching that show, and would love to own the series on DVD!!!

Oh and the Spidey series was pretty good. However the colors were way to bright, and the shows were trying to cram way too much info in a half hour spot! Even with the to be continued episodes... What I hope is they don't mix in CGI with this cartoon. I hated that, with a passion, it just took away from the show!!!

Guest DavAnthony

The 90's show was so good I never even noticed he didn't punch anyone. As far as this show I like the fact that he is trying to top something that was so good. I just hope animation wise we don't get Timm style DC look/ stylized or anime stuff. If you want to be on the cutting edge these days you need to go for hyper-realism since no one is doing it, everyone has pandered to the less serious and more friendly stylized/anime flare which I'm personally sick of.

Sounds good so far. I like it that its gonna be the actual bneginning for a change. But I really wouldn't want it to go the route of trying to be anime like TT or the canned Fantastic Four series.