G.I.Joe 25th Anniversary: 5 More Of The 25

The Wire

I was one of the first in the Joe community to suggest that Microman-style articulation should be given to Joe figures.

@pow@ So your the one!!!! ;)

to me i dont really care about these figures one way or the other gijoe to me will always be ARAH with large heads and poor sculpts. for the 25th anniversary i wont go out and buy these figures. i'll just head down to my basement and break out my old joes and play......i might wear a little party hat? i havent decided yet but i most likely will be naked? so if you wanna come over call first! B.Y.O.F*

TM

*bring your own figures! ;)

That's cool It seems to me that a lot of people are ARAH and that is it. While I have the opposite view. Yes I like the nostalgia of the 25 anniversary, but to me a lot of the figures look really dated. To me its like comparing the original starwars line to the new line. All the new technology and better sculpt to me make the figures that much better. I was drawn to the comic packs for the version 1 uniforms of some of the best figures, but to me these are so much better. But hey, you might warm up to these ;).

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I think, especially this far along, there are more and more saying it with more resignation then genuine like.

Are we just counting the active posters on the fan boards, or. . .???

Take, say, the Wave 4 Night Viper. Some hated it. Some loved it. Most however, realized we wouldn't be getting anything better (back when we were actually getting it). You warm up to it because you don't really have much choice, do you? This isn't like Alternator Tracks where fan complaining got the color changed from yellow to blue.
But when the poster says they're "warming up to it," shouldn't we simply take them at their word?

To do anything else would unfairly assert an inner-motive to a collector that may or may not truly exist. I understand that you think it's a form of surrender on the part of the fan, but in the end all you're really doing is projecting a negative attitude on the poster when it wasn't specifically stated.

For example, I was never originally a fan of Microman figures, that is until their version of Batman and Batgirl came out. I "warmed up to it" after seeing them carded at a local comic shop. Later on, I was one of the first in the Joe community to suggest that Microman-style articulation should be given to Joe figures.

So if you wanna, you can blame me for all this. I don't mind. ;)

-PJ

Nah, don't worry about it. This is a civil discussion, so no harm no foul.

Personally speaking I have, okay LITTLE problem with the new body design. Only until they are IN HAND can we say if they suck or they are good. Don't you think? I actually have a Microman figure, but I haven't opened the package to see if it is any good (I bought it before I moved and haven't had a chance...plus I'm not sure where it IS right now).

But *I* was one of those saying that I was warming up to the figures (speaking of Wave 4 here). I thought they could have done a better job with the Night Viper, for example. But it was, well as I said above, the best we could expect. I was "warming up to it" to decide if I REALLLLY like the figures enough to actually get them. If I had a choice? I'd drop them an ignore them in a heart beat...if we had something better.

I don't believe I'm projecting a negative attitude on any posters. I consider myself more a realist. And I also realize that it is easy to mask your "true intentions" on the anonymous internet. Besides, what exactly IS "warming up to"? Isn't that doubt? You can take someone at their word when they say they love the Wave 4 Outback or they hate it but "warming up to" implies they still aren't sure if they love it or hate it. And it could take one minor thing to flip the switch. Your "warming up" to loving figure x and may even consider buying mutliples but then, oh, he can't hold his gun (Wave 7 Snake Eyes) or he just looks like crap in person compared to first pics you saw online (Night Force anyone?). So then you end up NOT liking he figure at all...so what does "warming up to" mean?

And, by the way ALL FANS HAVE AN INNER-MOTIVE! We each want to see a given character or vehicle or item the way WE want to see it. Sometimes the end product works for the way we want. Other times it does not. But NO product is perfect to everyone.

Take 25th Storm Shadow. He's spot on accurate for his RAH versions 1 (near as I can tell). And, except for those that don't like the new body, I don't really think people are complaining about the figure. But there ARE people that are.

And, to continue the "warming up to" topic, doesn't that need to warm up to automatically imply that you have some reason to DISLIKE said figure at the very start? If you LIKE a figure, you don't need to warm up to it. But if you dislike a figure you do by rationalizing something about it to get you to decide you DO like it. Maybe the figure would look good with Marauder weapons. Or customized (who was it, Guillotine? The leader of the Plague with the crappy Coils arms?). Or, maybe, since it is the ONLY version of the character in the format (Major Barrage) the figures are in, you don't have much choice? Regardless of WHAT it is, there is SOMETHING each individual has to do in "warming up to" a given figure or figures that swings the pendulum from disliking and not buying to minimally accepting (whatever definition THAT may be dependent on the individual) and acutally buying.

Figures people have to warm up to are rarely that person's favorite.

Not sure that is entirely accurate. More like resignation. As in "well, I can't get what I really want" or "this is the best we can hope for".

Pest; Cynic, I'm sorry you both misunderstood me.

I was clearly not talking about knee-jerk contrarians who skim the post and think I'm talking to them personally.

I was talking about collectors who have commonly said "I'm warming up to these." Nor was I trying to put words into your mouth or trying to tell you how to think.

So since I'm relating what other individual collectors have honestly posted in the past*, I believe I am entirely accurate, because I tend to take collectors at their word when they post.

-PJ

*Not counting Hasbro shills, who like anything w/the logo and never need warming up to anything.

Hmmm

I didn't think you were talking to me personally(you don't sound like any of the voices in my head). I was just stating my personal opinion(not anybody elses), and your post looked as good as any to start off on. Though the title of knee-jerk contrarian doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I've always prefered ornery.

Just to clarifie, as stated in our news from Toy Fair, the single carded figures will be on retro cards and have the filecards on them (At least according to Hasbro reps at Toy Fair they will). The ones in the 5-packs which comes in box packaging as shown here

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=vie...600&start=0

Will have file cards inside along with a GIJoe logo base thingie that plays the 80's cartoon GIJoe theme song. You can see that in this pic

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/?mode=view&alb...00&start=60

But *I* was one of those saying that I was warming up to the figures (speaking of Wave 4 here). I thought they could have done a better job with the Night Viper, for example. But it was, well as I said above, the best we could expect. I was "warming up to it" to decide if I REALLLLY like the figures enough to actually get them. If I had a choice? I'd drop them an ignore them in a heart beat...if we had something better.

Okay, so in the end you were just speaking for yourself. If you didn't happen to mention surrendering yourself to "the best you could expect," then that's all the rest of us had to go on.

I don't believe I'm projecting a negative attitude on any posters. I consider myself more a realist.
By predicting the enthusiasm for these is overall lower than. . .what? Compared to what?

And I also realize that it is easy to mask your "true intentions" on the anonymous internet.

I'm pretty up front about how I feel about the Joe toys and the community. If fans as a whole had as much of a subversive agenda as you seem to be alluding to, what would you call it? Are you saying that the majority of fans are shilling for Hasbro or what? Please specify this overall "fan zeitgeist" that you're alluding to.

Besides, what exactly IS "warming up to"? Isn't that doubt?
Quite the opposite as I take it. I understand it to mean you were doubtful at first and then those doubts began to subside.

You can take someone at their word when they say they love the Wave 4 Outback or they hate it but "warming up to" implies they still aren't sure if they love it or hate it.

True, but it's still an overall positive statement. And all I was saying was that those fans who are still on the fence will weigh in once they have progressively accepted the 25th figures based on their own merits. Usually if they accept them out of a sense of dejected fatalism (as you assert) that feeling is usually followed with a whiny rant.

And it could take one minor thing to flip the switch. Your "warming up" to loving figure x and may even consider buying mutliples but then, oh, he can't hold his gun (Wave 7 Snake Eyes) or he just looks like crap in person compared to first pics you saw online (Night Force anyone?). So then you end up NOT liking he figure at all...so what does "warming up to" mean?
Oh, now we're down to arguing the few bad apples instead of the whole bunch?

Take 25th Storm Shadow. He's spot on accurate for his RAH versions 1 (near as I can tell). And, except for those that don't like the new body, I don't really think people are complaining about the figure. But there ARE people that are.

All I've seen so far is "sandals" and "waist" from just a couple people out of thousands of collectors. That's it.

And, to continue the "warming up to" topic, doesn't that need to warm up to automatically imply that you have some reason to DISLIKE said figure at the very start?

Well, now you're seeing it my way. I like the analytical progress of your post. All I was saying was "yes" it does start as negative, then it gets progressively better after staring at it for some time.

My POV says that's a sign of growing enthusiasm.

Your POV says it all like it's the final stage of mourning; "acceptance" or some such. @loll@ Holy crap, how negative is that?

But in a sense you are correct. If we get the 25th figs in hand and they fall completely apart like the Superhero Showdown figs, then peeks at preview pics on the web won't mean a thing.

But IMO, that's definitely not gonna happen. I'll lay my money down that these will hold up just as well as the Star Wars Saga figures.

-PJ

Wow, so much noise over just a few figures.

I can't wait for the sequel!!! We still have two more waves to critique.

I guess with all of the stress in our lives, we need to put that negative energy somewhere--why not on a figure or two.

Personally, I like everyones opinion and respect it. But this is just getting out of hand and old really quick.

Everyone is right about these figures, so lets leave it at that and move on to something more interesting...how about wishful thinking that they'll make a new Boobstrike---I mean a Bombstrike figure and a new Outback figure.

That would be way cool....

db