G.I.Joe 25th Anniversary: 5 More Of The 25

The Wire

My only argument with this idea is why wouldn't Hasbro just release those in the 5 pack as singles, too? They're supposedly doing it with the Cobra Troopers, so why would it be so hard for them to do it with the rest? The casual consumers don't justify an entire 'new' version of a figure. Give that casual consumer a chance to buy what he/she likes from the larger 5 packs aimed more at collectors, or actual Joe fans.

we don't know that they won't release them, just that they aren't part of the first 15 single figures. considering this first wave of singles is supposed to hit around the same time as the 5 packs it woudl be foolish to have the same figures for sale but just in two different sets, all they would do is cannibalize sales of the 5 packs and lose money.

But then why release the same character again? Wouldn't that mean they would be losing money from the casual customer that doesn't need different versions of the same character? Even some of the collectors (myself included) don't need those V2's. I know I'm not going to spend my money on those other versions. And if they did sell them separately instead of the five pack, they would probably make more money off of it. Considering the price of a single figure compared to the multipacks. If they released them along with the five pack, then I still think they could make a good deal of money considering the price of singles. If I wanted only three of the five figures and paid the $7-$8 for the single, I'd end up paying over $20 for those three. Surely the five pack is not going to be that much more than $20. Especially since the consumers that have been supporting the line know that they're been releasing 6 figures for around $20. So, I don't see how it would be foolish to release them singly along with the five pack. If a casual consumer only wants ONE of the five pack, he/she should have the opportunity to purchase that ONE figure. That could be the figure that gets the casual consumer hooked, turning them into a consistent consumer that will in turn be more likely to purchase more of their products later on. I know if I was the casual consumer and wanted just one figure from the set, and couldn't get it, then Hasbro would lose a buyer in me. Why should I have to spend $20 for only one figure I like. I wouldn't do it. Why should I be content getting a completely different looking figure under the same character name. That's not what I wanted in the first place. I wanted that one figure that's stuck in a five pack. I'd be ticked, and I'd move on to the next product.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Money grubbing whores" like Nintendo, NECA, Mattel, Walmart, Target, TRU, KB, Sony, Microsoft, Kraft foods or anyone else that makes stuff for people to buy?

You know damn well that Hasbro continually cuts corners, sometimes when an obviously better approach would have been just as fiscally responsible. Look at the new Marvel Legends. And yeah, Mattel is just like that with the constant uninspired Batman repaints. And yes, Walmart especially with their horrid reported treatment of their employees. Those other companies are on your #$@# list I guess. I have no problem with them.

You can complain about the line all you want, but to say Hasbro "owes" you anything is frankly petty and unfounded.

Petty and unfounded? Sort of like telling me what I can and cannot think/say in order to write of my complaints about something im buying? Or continually bringing it up when we really havent said anything of value about the toys in question? Well youre right, I guess I am, but i'd suggest you get off your high horse as well.

Now could we please stop argueing, because Id like to hear you opinion, and id like to express mine, but I frankly dont give enough of an f to listen to your opinion about how ignorant my opinion is.

And yet, in spite of all these glaring, obvious faults, Hasbro is still the #1 action figure manufacturer and producer on the planet...well, their market strategy must be working, I guess...

Look...I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way...but do so many people really think that Flint would be that much better with his dress shirt having sculpted wrinkles in different spots, his pants being folded a bit differently in the tooling, and his sleeves rolled up a few millimeters above his elbow instead of a few millimeters below it? Does it really make that much of a difference?

I guess I just don't get it. I think Flint looks fantastic, regardless of which tooling got re-used. In spite of being 90% Duke parts, you look at him once and you immediately say "that's Flint!" which is a 110% improvement over pretty much every one of his previous versions since his original '85 release. If Hasbro had invested thousands of dollars in new tooling to change a few wrinkles and folds in Flint's uniform, that would mean one whole set of tooling (which could equate to 4-5 figures) that we wouldn't get because of it.

Personally, I prefer it this way. I can deal with Flint ironing and wearing his uniform slightly differently in this version to potentially get 4-5 new figures with the money saved here, but maybe that's just me.

Justin

exactly. I think this is the best version of flint as well, and people seem to nitpick the little things. Now Viper hunters comments on the lack of consistencies on the different images of the same figures, now that is something to be worried about. Especially how bad that toyfair roadblock looked.

As for the casual buyer, I am a casual buyer, I hated all the hasbro stuff after ARAH and got back into it because I liked the idea of the comic packs. This anniversary takes that one stuff further and does it a lot better, in my opinion. I would also buy the whole five pack even if I only liked 2 or 3 of the figures because as a set it looks dope.

Regarding the repaints...

Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes, & Storm Shadow are the most popular characters, and they shouldn't ONLY be available in a 5 pack, so that casual consumers have a chance to get their hands on them. From that standpoint, I can see why they're getting second versions so quickly. Now as for the re-use of parts, figure by figure...

Personally speaking, I'm complaining not about the fact we are GETTING repeats but the fact they did a half-ass job with them.

Cobra Commander is the only one that is "true."

If they could make Storm Shadow version 1 look, essentially, exactly like his original RAH version, then why not version 2? Especially since he, Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander are among the most popular? And especially since Snake Eyes version 2 is WAY more popular than version 1 (which reminds me, what about Timber?).

And it isn't just Storm Shadow. ALL ten of them are, essentially, exactly like their original RAH versions. Why do SOME of them "correctly" but not all?

If they wanted repaints, some of those body's HAD repaints. Ninja Viper and Satan (who wouldn't eat THAT up?) for Storm Shadow. Stalker and Grunt for Snake Eyes. Stinger Driver. Hell, even Double Blast (or Tiger Force Roadblock) and Chameleon.

I don't even have a problem with them DOING repaints of, say Snake Eyes. But putting a visor on the version 1 body does NOT make it version 2.

Hey, ViperHunter, how does it feel to have an ongoing argument about the 25th figures that doesn't involve you or myself?

REFRESHING?

;)

And yet, in spite of all these glaring, obvious faults, Hasbro is still the #1 action figure manufacturer and producer on the planet...well, their market strategy must be working, I guess...

@lol@ Too true! That's why I never feel too awful BAD about the Hasbro bashing and toy b!tchin' we can all do at times (or perpetually) they're making their money, so were but a flea to be scratched on their hind end.

Look...I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way...but do so many people really think that Flint would be that much better with his dress shirt having sculpted wrinkles in different spots, his pants being folded a bit differently in the tooling, and his sleeves rolled up a few millimeters above his elbow instead of a few millimeters below it? Does it really make that much of a difference?
Yes it does. It's not that they gave Flint longer sleeves than his ORIGINAL iconic look had, but that they gave him Dukes ENTIRE body. Using the sleeve difference isn't really the principle argument, it's just the most compelling one when criticizing the whole body swap thing for FLINT.

I guess I just don't get it. I think Flint looks fantastic, regardless of which tooling got re-used. In spite of being 90% Duke parts, you look at him once and you immediately say "that's Flint!" which is a 110% improvement over pretty much every one of his previous versions since his original '85 release. If Hasbro had invested thousands of dollars in new tooling to change a few wrinkles and folds in Flint's uniform, that would mean one whole set of tooling (which could equate to 4-5 figures) that we wouldn't get because of it.

Personally, I prefer it this way. I can deal with Flint ironing and wearing his uniform slightly differently in this version to potentially get 4-5 new figures with the money saved here, but maybe that's just me.

Justin

If Hasbro didn't save enough money to do it RIGHT, they should have waited until they did, or sold more Sigma Six, and then we could have got a brand new mold for Flint as well. My favorite character didn't make it under the budget restraints, isn't a very good pill to swallow, especially if they give another figure of LESS interest to me, a brand new one! @grumpy@

Supreme-d is totally right when he says that companies do owe us. We were the customers 25 years ago(more like twenty for me) and still are. We have given Hasbro a lot money and what is wrong with asking for something good we want. We can get almost anything to our likes and needs; Almost every product we buy we can find quality and price as we see fit but how come we can only get toys only half way to our liking.

Roadblock at toy fair just looks funny and child oriented and so does Scarlett and Baroness. I had not paid attention but now that I have, I must say I wouldn't buy them as single packs. I decided some time back that I would not buy an ugly half way well done figure anymore just because it was the only figure or because I liked the character. I stopped buying McFarlane statues because they don't have articulation and so now I wil stopped buying $hitty products.

And to anyone who says they didn't have to make them, well, we should have stop buying their same figures from 25 years ago about 10 years ago. The revolution of action figures started with SW figure in the 90's and Mcfarlane, why would I want to keep on buying $h*t just because it is the only thing out there.

Honestly, they should have just given the license to Takara when they 1st started to do the microman. Now that is new and updated.

Honestly, they should have just given the license to Takara when they 1st started to do the microman. Now that is new and updated.

They did that once, and we got the 2002 Flint, Baronness, Dr. Mindbender, Beachhead, and Snow Serpent action figures.

If Hasbro didn't save enough money to do it RIGHT, they should have waited until they did, or sold more Sigma Six, and then we could have got a brand new mold for Flint as well. My favorite character didn't make it under the budget restraints, isn't a very good pill to swallow, especially if they give another figure of LESS interest to me, a brand new one! @grumpy@

The toy teams don't get a "monthly allowence" to make toys, they get a set year budget and have to make it work.

There will always be people that don't get what they want, I for one, can see where you are coming from, but I'd rather have gotten a modified Duke figure for Flint than no Flint at all. And while new tooling may not be what YOU want, I can guarantee there is a fan contingent that will be thrilled.

I'm personally miffed that Hasbro is likely going not going to do much, if any beyond 1988. What about latecoming fans like me who want new Night vipers? Frag Vipers? Scoop? Capt. Grid Iron (yes, I want a new one of him)? Rock and Roll v2? Rampart? Bullhorn? Lt. Falcon (he MIGHT be made, but I'm not betting on it)?

I would like to see some of MY childhood favorites remade, but that is NOT going to happen from the looks of things

Some interesting opinions,

everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, or feel that "hasbro owes them." If you are a completist or a serious collector spending hundreds a year on new joe toys, I would be pissed as well. Especially with a lot of the half assed crap they came out with.

Your only rights as a consumer is to voice your opinions and hope that they do something about it, and/or choose not to purchase their product. Hasbro is about making money, and I am sure they would like to make everyone happy but, I don't think that is really possible.

I do know this though. With the launch of this line there are a lot of new board members and a lot of talk, positive and negative, which means this line seems to be generating the hype that they need. There also, seems to be a movie in the works which should also help. They also listened to many board members who mentioned they wany ARAH v1 style figures that are modernized using the new technologies.

They seem to be grasping this, and even the people that have negative comments seem to like even some of the figures. When ARAH was big, did people like all the figures that hasbro produced. Probably not, I thought everything after 87 was a waste. Though to counter this, if they are intent on making the most popular figures of the bunch, you think they would be able to make every figure as dope as possible.

Still, like the figures, hate the figures, and voice your opinions, but I don't think that hasbro owes us anything. If they did, than you would be getting the figures for free ;).

Supreme-d is totally right when he says that companies do owe us. We were the customers 25 years ago(more like twenty for me) and still are. We have given Hasbro a lot money and what is wrong with asking for something good we want. We can get almost anything to our likes and needs; Almost every product we buy we can find quality and price as we see fit but how come we can only get toys only half way to our liking.

so a garbage man owes his job to you because you throw out your trash? the janitor owes you his job because you take a dump? you see how ridiculous that sounds?

everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, or feel that "hasbro owes them." If you are a completist or a serious collector spending hundreds a year on new joe toys, I would be pissed as well. Especially with a lot of the half assed crap they came out with.

yes, you are allowed to feel however you like. but that doesn't mean how feel isn't irrational or immature, which a sense of being "owed" by business because you are their costumer is.

OK after thinking about it and being asked, I decided to reopen this topic. I am deleting some flame posts in an effort to try to keep it civil and back on track.

Remember people they're only OPINIONS. The world is not gonna end no matter who is right or wrong over these.

my wishlist for the next ten are:

1.-Hawk v.2

2.-Stalker v.3 (whitout the talking backpack)

3.-Serpentor (w/removable mask)

4.-Zartan

5.-Viper (w/removable helmet)

6.-Firefly

7.-Crimson Guard

8.-Shipwreck (plus Polly)

9.-Blowtorch

10.-Beachhead

Hope that down the line ( I think it will further continue, those sculpts are sweet ) we can have almost all the best versions of each joe that was made during their first run, New versions of the the Ninja commandos could really rock ('specially Snake eyes, Scarlett and the Night Creepers)

I didn't know takara had done some GI Joes. Anyway, what I meant is that the new microman are in way today what Gi joe meant back then. they are the same size and offer articulation beyond what most of the figures offer. That was one of the reasons why I loved my gi joes and only liked my star wars. To me, articulation was one of the main reason gi joe was so successful.

Yes, as customers our most powerful way of complaining is not to buy but we all know it is more complicated than that. How come other companies offer a lot of variety on their figures and we have to get stuck we just half-assed figures made by hasbro.

Star wars and Transformers almost offer eveything you might want so how come a license that is not as big as those but near as famous only offers kid's toys and the same figures over and over again since 1982.

We do like what they are offering right now, they are near perfect but once you see them in toy fair, it is like " wtf happen here" Why can't they give us what they 1st showed.

A good example is marvel legends. Toy biz was great when they started and then they just started to go down in quality little by little until by the end that only a few were worth it. Hasbro took over and managed to bring it down more with their paint selections, new forearm articulation pattern and their child like or anime faces just like road block, scarlett, and baroness resulting on me not buying any more legends and if possible nor those gi joes I just mentioned. Can someone please deny this in a nonbiased manner?

well I pre-ordered mine, I could only afford to get one set, so I settled on the GI Joe team, hopefully there will be enough Cobra's to buy them piece meal, DOES anyone know if these are hitting retail.

It has took me a while to add my response after my Heart Attack after seeing those pics "Just Kidding". @loll@ This is awesome totally awesome. @notworthy@ That Storm Shadow is the best they have ever created.@notworthy@ I hope the do the Armor Cobra Commander he is my favorite. I hope the do some cool vehicle something like the V-22 Osprey "Ooooospreeey" :wub: I like to call it the G.I.Joe Victory Helicopter. :wub:

800px-V-22_Osprey_tiltrotor_aircraf.jpg

:OT:

If anyone out there would like to try 3ds art. There is some cool easy to use free software out there called GMAX. you can find it at this web site. This is very easy to use so do not be scared to try.

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

*takes a deep breath* IWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANT

and to MaceWindupreview, are you always this optomistic? XD

your right, I should just go ahead and order the Cobras and put them on a credit card. Though I hate paying interest on stuff

*takes a deep breath* IWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANT

and to MaceWindupreview, are you always this optomistic? XD

your right, I should just go ahead and order the Cobras and put them on a credit card. Though I hate paying interest on stuff

I don't feel that Hasbro "owes us" technically....and I know they make genuine efforts to show their appreciation to us, for being such long term customers of theirs, but they try too HARD sometimes, at trying to keep G.I.Joe "new" or "improved" and such, and I think that is what has caused so much resentment towards them, regarding their treatment of G.I.Joe.

They see Joe fans, that like and collect a little bit of this, and a little bit of that, and try to capitalize on those varied tastes by making G.I.Joe look a little like this and then and little like that, until it looks like sh!t basically.

Then when they have a brainstorm on doing something monumental, like this 25th anniversary stuff, going BACK and recapturing they characters classic FIRST appearance, they cheap out on us with multiple versions of the same characters and by reusing ENTIRE body molds for some top characters, with the same ol' lame excuse of "cut a few corners NOW, maybe afford to make some more LATER, if you all buy'em up, like'em all or not!" :rolleyes:

We've hung in there for quite a while already, buying Duke after Duke, Snake Eyes after Snake Eyes and Heavy Duty after Heavy Duty in just the Sigma Six line ALONE (well....YOU guys have bought'em, I haven't ;)) and yet they STILL can't make all new original molds for a 25th anniversary special edition of popular ARAH figures?

Apparently the "retailers" jerk'em around by the rings thru their noses, on what THEY assume is going to be hot or not, and yet...did you see the half-assed, hastily painted crap they put on display for the retailers to mull over at the toy fair? :o

WOW! Thanks for putting your BEST foot forward FOR US on that one Hasbro! Maybe it's a done deal and all, but why just half heartedly go thru the motions of this stuff, when it's in such a subpar state?

Is it entertaining to sit back and watch the fireworks it generates from a growing dissention amongst the fanbase?

Warmed up to Flint a littel after seeing the blown up picture of him on the new Lee's I got today at work. :) Oh well he is better than nothing!

Draven

@pow@ bad, bad, BAD!!!

Never except just ANYTHING, as a subsitute for NOTHING! ;)

Warmed up to Flint a littel after seeing the blown up picture of him on the new Lee's I got today at work. :) Oh well he is better than nothing!

Draven

@pow@ bad, bad, BAD!!!

Never except just ANYTHING, as a subsitute for NOTHING! ;)

I'd have to agree with that. That sort of thinking is why JvC/VvV prduced such crappy figures for a long time, and why Hasbro is unbending towards S6.