G.I.Joe 25th Anniversary: 5 More Of The 25

The Wire

My biggest peeve about the 2nd versions showing up already is not that I didn't expect them or that 25 is to small a number or any of that. It's that you know in 2008 Hasbro is going to want to throw out another 2 Snake Eyes, another 2 Storm Shadows, and another 2 Cobra Commanders. Since they've used up the "Iconic" versions so quickly. (It's the first wave after the boxset for pete's sake!) That we will get stuck with some of the less then stellar versions of these guys in the future.

That also makes me think that while people say that Hasbro has an eye on the future of the line, that there isn't much to back that up in the actual toyline. I mean investing in new Upper arms for Flint would not only make the figure look better, but could be used again down the road for other figures with simlar rolled up sleeves. If they had to get their money back for those Upper arms on Duke they could have used them on Doc. The Officers AK-47, which they didn't sculpt...could have been used again for the Snow Serpent. Seems that despite their claims of a hopeful future, that they don't seem to be willing to make the kind of mold commitment to back that up.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and one last thing. Hasbro doesn't owe any of us anything. They didn't have to make this line at all. They could have released some repainted RAH stuff to celebrate the Anniversary and taken the easy way out for some quick $. They didn't. They're making a pretty good committment to this Annivesary line (so far) and obviously want it to succeed. Have a little faith and patience.

I hate when people say that. The toy companies do owe us. If we dont buy their product, they dont make money. They owe us(the consumer) their careers at that company, and if they dont make products that at least partially appease our desires(and therefore get us to shell out our hard earned bucks), they are going out of business.

Question: Why does it always seem like the collectors of a toy line could create a more marketable line than what is actually released by the company?

AS fans we always know exactly what we want, so unless the toy companies came onto boards like this and asked us what we wanted all they are going to do is guess what we want and make it. When new figures come out fans purchase them and/or scrutinize the hell out of them figuring out what was right and wrong and then deciding that the figure needs or doesn't need changes right after it is released. Then that person can customize their own version of the figure and sometimes other people will prefer that version over the Hasbro version, and then the cycle starts over again.

I'm very happy with these figures so far. I have to imagine the sculptors/designer had thought of alot of the issues we're debating right now. I'm sure they wanted this line to be the best it could. I'm also sure the restaints of budget, time and corporate management tied their hands a little. Given the process that occurs in any design related profession, I think the team did a pretty good job. Sure I'd really like a Flint with his own body and Snake-Eyes with ninja footwear. Seeing as we're reusing parts already, It looks like Hasbro Corporate felt they were taking a financial gamble on this line and didn't want to pour a ton of money into it. They owe us nothing but a product if they choose to make one. We owe them nothing but a purchase if we choose to buy said product. Just my 2 cents.

Oh and one last thing. Hasbro doesn't owe any of us anything. They didn't have to make this line at all. They could have released some repainted RAH stuff to celebrate the Anniversary and taken the easy way out for some quick $. They didn't. They're making a pretty good committment to this Annivesary line (so far) and obviously want it to succeed. Have a little faith and patience.

I hate when people say that. The toy companies do owe us. If we dont buy their product, they dont make money. They owe us(the consumer) their careers at that company, and if they dont make products that at least partially appease our desires(and therefore get us to shell out our hard earned bucks), they are going out of business.

Question: Why does it always seem like the collectors of a toy line could create a more marketable line than what is actually released by the company?

no, they don't owe you anything. their careers are dependent upon their ability to make decisions and create products that generate substancial revenue. they don't owe you because you like what they offer. there is a market for toys, and on a consumer level there is a need for toys to entertain children and adults. whether the consumer or the company create that need or market is irrelevent, there currently is a need that Hasbro is satisfying. a need that consumers want satisifed. so if they owe you for buying the toys you owe them for producing them since you have a need for them.

your simple position that all producers owe you for being a consumer does not accurately reflect all the dynamics of business.

should they be grateful? absolutely, but that is completely different than owing.

These look amazing!!! ALL of them! Lovin' that Cobra Commander and Flint!!!

However...it's great to make Snake Eyes and Storm Shadown, buuut I think they should have made these LATER because those two could have been other new characters instead :(

I hope this line does well...I'm buying all of them!

However...it's great to make Snake Eyes and Storm Shadown, buuut I think they should have made these LATER because those two could have been other new characters instead :(

I don't think so. the 25 figures are obviously dependent upon reusing molds, and while a Grunt figure made from SE's or Red Ninja from SSmay have appealed to the hardcore Joe collector who wants all new updates of every character, a single pack SE's and SS are going to be much more popular with EVERYBODY else, making them a much smarter move. and I don't want to hear this line is meant for US. no, it is meant to appeal to us but is meant for EVERYBODY. Hasbro will sell far more SE's to everyone else than Grunt's to us.

if Grunt, or Short Fuze or Stalker are going to be released anyways with these molds, who cares whether it is in the initial wave or next wave, we are going to get them. the argument is arbitrary.

Wow. Another Storm Shadow, another Cobra Commander, another Snake-Eyes, and a repaint of the Cobra Trooper. And I was afraid that they would show me characters that haven't been released yet, like Major Bludd, Lady Jaye, or Zartan. Phew. Dodged the bullet there, amirite? Now if they could only fill the rest of the slots with alternate versions of characters we already have, I think we'll all be happy. Because no one wants to see lots of new characters when there's only 25 slots to fill.

G.I. Joe? More like G.I. Jew. I can't be the only one who recognizes the fault in Storm Shadow having two figures while other popular characters have none. If this were an on-going line, then I wouldn't care so much. But we've only got 25 slots, and four variations are certainly not needed.

I'm very happy with these figures so far. I have to imagine the sculptors/designer had thought of alot of the issues we're debating right now. I'm sure they wanted this line to be the best it could. I'm also sure the restaints of budget, time and corporate management tied their hands a little. Given the process that occurs in any design related profession, I think the team did a pretty good job. Sure I'd really like a Flint with his own body and Snake-Eyes with ninja footwear. Seeing as we're reusing parts already, It looks like Hasbro Corporate felt they were taking a financial gamble on this line and didn't want to pour a ton of money into it. They owe us nothing but a product if they choose to make one. We owe them nothing but a purchase if we choose to buy said product. Just my 2 cents.

All right, business major, how's this?

They owe us because we've generated good will value for their franchise.

I'm warming up to that stormy just. I really do undeerstand that a single pack versions of some of the main guys will sell well to the casual folk (if they are such a thing)

I really hope for a beachhead, and i think his head could prove usefull to re use for firefly, shockwave and others. If the heads are fairly easy to pop off i would love an artic trooper so i could have artic bodies for my favs. and i guess we are still wondering about th4 " thing... arg.

All right, business major, how's this?

They owe us because we've generated good will value for their franchise.

I guess I just feel the origin of this product line (from Hasbro's point of view) wasn't "we owe it to the fans" so much as "how many can we sell with the least amount of cost up front". I think they saw the 25th Anniversary as a good vehicle to use in selling product, to get some non die-hards to to buy in to something. Hence the reused Star Wars bases and body parts. I'm pretty sure the people at Hasbro don't feel like they owe us. In the same right, I'll buy every figure I like and leave the ones I don't because I don't "owe" Hasbro anything. It seemed like only months ago many people assumed the 3 3/4" line was coming to an end, included some of the people on GI Joe exclusive boards. That good will value is only useful if it translates into dollars at some point. With as little confidence as was going around a few months ago, as little 3 3/4" product that was available in '06 at retail, and all the Frankenjoes that where part of '05 I wonder how far the good will value actually got us. As many people have mentioned, if this line continues past 25 figures, I won't be because Hasbro feels the owe us, It'll be because enough figures sold to make Hasbro feel like the can sell more and make a profit. I'm not trying to argue, just trying to bring another point of view into the mix.

Oh, and I'm a designer by trade.

My biggest peeve about the 2nd versions showing up already is not that I didn't expect them or that 25 is to small a number or any of that. It's that you know in 2008 Hasbro is going to want to throw out another 2 Snake Eyes, another 2 Storm Shadows, and another 2 Cobra Commanders. Since they've used up the "Iconic" versions so quickly. (It's the first wave after the boxset for pete's sake!) That we will get stuck with some of the less then stellar versions of these guys in the future.

Exactly!

We've been beat over the head again and again with the assertion that THESE characters (CC, SS, SE) are the only ones that the retailers THINK will sell well enough to buy into it (seeing how so many retailers are in-the-know, on everything G.I.Joe, to even make that call :rolleyes:) that they'll NEVER move away from them.

Lets assume the line does well and they DO decide to make more, maybe even just 10 more. How many think out of those 10, we'll see another version of one of the three? <_<

I can't be the only one who recognizes the fault in Storm Shadow having two figures while other popular characters have none.

Your not! Flint wasn't even considered worthy enough to have a full fledge NEW mold made for him, so I can't image what efforts would go into slappin' together another character besides SE, SS or CC, for us.

I can't be the only one who recognizes the fault in Storm Shadow having two figures while other popular characters have none.

Your not! Flint wasn't even considered worthy enough to have a full fledge NEW mold made for him, so I can't image what efforts would go into slappin' together another character besides SE, SS or CC, for us.

Sadly, I can already invision the next SE and SS. I'm sure they can take the 25th V1 SE (seems weird that I already have to differentiate between a V1 and V2 of a line that's not even hit retail yet), slap some knives in a removable holster on his chest, and color his goggles silver to give us remake of the V3 SE. And then we'll get the V2 SS done in that Ninja Force black and white paint scheme without having to really change anything to the mold. As for CC, I'm sure a black repaint isn't too far fetched an idea. Again, not having to use any new molds, I could easily see Hasbro doing this.

This line is totally for the collector/fans. It's an anniversary set. There's no RAH cartoon out. Not even Sigma Six anymore, apparently. Why would the kids buy any of this? Don't get me wrong, I want them to, but the market has to be pretty much exclusively the pre-existing, older "collector" buyers. Therefore Hasbro should have catered more to them (us) by giving us 25 unique figures. Viper Hunter's list plus Clutch in the Vamp would be great.

This line is totally for the collector/fans. It's an anniversary set. There's no RAH cartoon out. Not even Sigma Six anymore, apparently. Why would the kids buy any of this?

Technically...there's NO reason they would. We know why they SHOULD, becuase they're GREAT toys ^_^ but there's nothing promoting the toys but the TOYS themselves, and I still think some kids would buy them just for that.

So with THAT logic, the immediate identification of a character, for the kid market, is practically non-existent, so why should it matter (asking in general, to everyone) that they go ahead and make 25 all unique characters, without 2nd versions added in? Only WE (adult collectors) give a damn about that, and we're a pretty insignificant bunch apparently...right?

Cool looking toys still sell I bet, just like in the old days of ARAH. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I want them to, but the market has to be pretty much exclusively the pre-existing, older "collector" buyers. Therefore Hasbro should have catered more to them (us) by giving us 25 unique figures.
Yep!

Viper Hunter's list plus Clutch in the Vamp would be great.

^_^

Like I stated before, it was a TOUGH list to make, condensing it down to just 25! Imagine the choices left out....

joelistes9.png

cobralistbg2.png

No, what Hasbro SHOULD have done was NOT give us a number of figures and just shown the two five packs.

This first wave of five figures should've been debuted when the 5 packs hit retail, or they should've waited to include so many repaints for one wave and had a few more newer part figures (hopefully they'll have some) included.

Wonder why these pics have the Hasbro Inc splashed across the front of'em?

flint7us1.png

Don't they want us to have fun photoshopping them and stuff? ;)

lol I figured there were others out there...I just didn't have the patience to look through the thread, is all. Anger got the best of me and I just HAD to post.

I like that list, though. I like it a lot more than the five figures we were just shown, only one of which can be considered "new" in ANY capacity.

I'm gonna stay optimistic about this thing. VH, your Roadblock comparrison pics depress me man, but I also noticed they didn't paint in his moustache and goatee in the Toy Fair pic either, signaling maybe a very early and hastily-painted prototype. Here's hoping...

Also, some have debated Hasbro owing us long-time supporters or not owing us...I don't know about all that. Yes, Hasbro's a giant corporation that must consider the business side of things obviously, but again the optimist in me thinks this new anniversary line says something about acknowledging some of us long-time fans. To me, and this may sound real corny, but...this line is a celebration of RAH, and I'm gonna enjoy every minute of it. I'm not gonna concentrate on what we don't have; all original versions and sculpts of individual characters, vehicles (yet), and classic o-ring construction. I choose to look at the bright side of things and concentrate on what we do have; new sculpts of old favorites, added articulation, greater detail, and vintage-style packaging. I even like they fact that they're slightly taller, clocking in at just 4 inches. From what I've seen so far, I love 'em. I don't care if they've already resorted to repaints and/or re-used parts. So what? The original line had those too. And they've done it in a way that's at least partially faithful to the originals. If they just released what's been shown so far, me personally, I'd be content. So I'm excited to know even more are coming. I just want some cool new sculpts of classic characters on vintage-style cards, and that's what Hasbro's giving me. Doesn't suck to be me, does it? (lol)

AND...I can see Hasbro using Flint's legs and Snake-Eyes's arms and waist along with a new torso and head to make Beach-Head. Geeze I hope they fit him in somewhere. BTW, when will they show pics of the remaining figures? Anyone know?

I'm gonna stay optimistic about this thing. VH, your Roadblock comparrison pics depress me man, but I also noticed they didn't paint in his moustache and goatee in the Toy Fair pic either, signaling maybe a very early and hastily-painted prototype. Here's hoping...

you sir make a correct observation.

I have no (okay a little since we don't have them yet) problem with the new look/articulation. Better than RAH? Worse? Can't say until in hand.

The thing I don't like is, while they appear to be planning "beyond 25" it is WAAAAAY too soon to start doing repaints (I say that because, if we were only getting 25, I don't know anyone here that wouldn't be pissed at getting so many "repeats"). How is it they can do a nearly perfect "updated" reproduction of Storm Shadow version 1, for example, but NOT give the same treatment to Storm Shadow version 2? And WHY do we even need version 2s so soon? Popularity? That's crap. Snake Eyes versions 2 is WAY more popular. But what do we get? Version 1 with a visor. That is NOT Snake Eyes version 2 that is, well, version 1 with a visor.