G.I.Joe 25th Anniversary: 5 More Of The 25

The Wire

You might have misunderstood me. I think other characters will sell. I think the 3 v2's are ICONIC figures for the franchise, and I am assuming that hasbro felt that those would sell better (for the initial run), and give the line a chance for more of the lesser characters at a later date.

If they made for example

Cobra commander V1

Cobra Commander V2

Destro

Stormshadow

Stormshadow V2

Firefly

Bludd

Zartan

Cobra soldier

Cobra Officer

Buzzer

Serpentor

Duke

SE V1

SE V2

Scarlett

Stalker

Beachhead

Roadblock

Gungho

Hawk

Ladyjaye

Flint

This is a good list of ICONIC figures if these sell well they could make 25 more different figures that probably would consist of more fan favourites. For Example:

Covergirl

Doc

Rock & Roll

Snow Job

Jinx

shipwreck

Ace

Wildbill

Airborne

Spirit

Torpedo

Tomax

Xamot

Mindbender

Viper

BAT

Torch

Ripper

Crimson Guard

Scrap Iron

Copperhead

and still have 4 more slots for any other version 2's in this next run. You now have a good number of Different joe and cobras without having too many weak after 87 figures.

Dang right Firefly, I would kill for those lists, they sound like 100% winners to me. :)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's never been given the full fledged effort that it was back then. They're still trying to capitlaize on what they achieved SINCE, with little effort, instead of trying to recreate the same process all over again, that could land a NEW following, and make it that ol' powerhouse once more, for the next generation.

Won't know till they try, and making 25 of the original lineup (most popular) would have been a nice start, but they went soft before the climax, and threw a couple of collector-minded dups in there, for "good" marketing strategy. <_<

e character thing is dictated by RETAILERS, the guys who actually buy these things. If retailers don't buy into the line, then it won't happen PERIOD.

I don't know how more than half the goofy-ass toylines make it then, because WHAT background do some of these weird characters and toys (I see out there on the pegs) have to judge THEM by, for the retailers to "buy into" it?

The big counter to that is Transformers:

Armada is still cited as the most successful line to date, and aside from some name reuses and Optimus Prime and Starscream, had almost NOTHING to do with the original line, in fact, it was widely criticized for its "inappropriate" name reuses, anime series, and "pokebots" (minicons which have remained one of the most popular aspects of the line to kids, to the point minicons are still re-added to fill out the toylines).

The 2002 line simply can't be called "no effort", it had a full basic assortment (the two packs, which were dictated by retailer demands, Hasbro's original plan would have been $4 single packs), THREE vehicle assortments at the height of the 80s toy revival. Before the line left retail in 2004/5, they had added a second basic assortment (the Adventure assortment which had minivehicles in place of second figures) AND the comic packs, and that doesn't count the 12" tie in product.

For retailers, one of the biggest decisions in supporting the line is if it has a cartoon or movie tie in. They really don't care about the lines themselves except if they make money, and a coming cartoon or having a successful cartoon are considered to be more successful than lines that don't. Marvel Legends and GI Joe prior to Sigma Six were true anomalies because they lacked such series.

These pics are much better!

Cobra Commander: Bravo Hasbro, love it and his gun is just like the original!

Cobra Officer still looks great from the last pic we saw!

Flint looks better, although his head still looks a little thin and I really would have preferred short sleeves on him.

Storm Shadow looks good, glad to see his tat but what's up with the blue eyes???

Snake Eyes is cool, except for the middle of his visor and I think his sword looks a little short, unless it's the angle. So far, I prefer the v1 in this line.

As for the bases, I like them but why is Hasbro using the new Joe logo? I wish they had used the original RAH logo instead.

Wow. These figures are just looking better and better to me. Flint simply looks awesome. The only minor complaint I still have is I wish the gray on Snake-Eyes was much, much darker, but I can live with it. And I noticed, at least from the angle of the new pic of Cobra Commander, that the double-hinged knee-joint looks alot more natural than I thought. It looks alot better than I anticipated.

On one hand, it does kinda bug me that they didn't do more original characters. I would have liked to have seen more of them before I did a Cobra Officer, a second Storm Shadow, etc. It just seems like a missed opportunity for something as momentous as the 25th Anniversary of G.I. Joe...

BUT...on the other hand, every single figure in this line-up so far is representative of original G.I. Joe figures I used to have as a kid. For that reason, I am excited and I love every single figure that's been shown so far. I'm gonna be even more excited when I see these babies on vintage-style card-backs in stores.

When I stop and think about it, Hasbro has produced a line of anniversary figures straight from my wishlist in that I had hoped they might consider a 4" line, and apparently they did. I wanted new sculpts of old favorites in the Star Wars Vintage Collection-style, complete with vintage-style packaging. Done. I just hope they turn out to be as detailed as they look in these preliminary pics. Now it's a given that it would have been nice to get exact replicas of the origial RAH-mold figures, but hey...we have our originals, and nothing can take away from them. These are the next best thing as far as I'm concerned. I'm so excited...

2 Stormshadows

GI Joe has been in production non stop since 1982. Be it 2.5, 3.75, 4.5, 5.5, 8 or 12 inches, there has ALWAYS been some sort of GI Joe product available, whether it is what RAH or RAH centric fans WANT is another issue

But I wasn't concerned about "some sort of GI Joe product"..

I am concerned specifically with 3 3/4". My fear is that it is going to go the way of the dinosaur, in the same vein, the 8" line losing the cartoon support is tough.

I like GI Joe, Star Wars figs are better, but GI Joe is always my first love for toys. I want to see it remain strong.

I am concerned specifically with 3 3/4". My fear is that it is going to go the way of the dinosaur

I don't think so its easier and cheaper for Hasbro to produce

Keep in mind though, that THESE pics are the official Hasbro pics. that everybody jumps to REMIND us are prototypes, mocked up versions, or something to that affect. ^_^

These pics are in line with, saaaaay.....

THIS picture of Roadblock:

roadblockjk3.png

Whereas, when Toy Fair came around, we gotta looksee at THIS version:

roadblock2fc0.png

"Duuuuuh..LOUIE!

"which way did he go...which waaay did he go???"

@lol@

So I wonder what the packaged version will look like?

I have to say that viper hunter's 25 are about perfect. the only thing i would do different is cut it off at 1985... you can't have mindbender in this timeframe without serpentor, and you can't really have B.A.T.s without their inventor, so I would replace the B.A.T., Dr. Mindbender, and Viper with Doc, Clutch, and Wildbill. I feel all three are among the most iconic but get overlooked due to their status as drivers or of being among the dead. Bud disregarding that, I think those three all belong in the 25 most iconic

I am concerned specifically with 3 3/4". My fear is that it is going to go the way of the dinosaur, in the same vein, the 8" line losing the cartoon support is tough.

I like GI Joe, Star Wars figs are better, but GI Joe is always my first love for toys. I want to see it remain strong.

You said "GI Joe as a toy", which encompasses MORE than just 3.75 figures. GI Joe, as a toy brand, is far more resiliant than many fans give it credit for, and I'd also like to point out that the 3.75 line was "dead" in 1994, 1998, and in 2005 (Remember all the proclamations of GI Joe's demise shortly after Sigma Six was shown?), yet it has and continues to rebound.

In regards to the Toy Fair pics, Hasbro routinely uses preproduction prototypes that are HAND PAINTED for display, and unless the toy is due for release shortly after or before Toy Fair, you don't see finished samples. Notice how the legs screws are painted on many of the figures, which I can assure you won't happen for the final figures. Back in 2004, Hasbro showed a yellow Transformers Alternators Tracks at Toy Fair, but the final toy ended up blue.

I have to say that viper hunter's 25 are about perfect. the only thing i would do different is cut it off at 1985... you can't have mindbender in this timeframe without serpentor, and you can't really have B.A.T.s without their inventor, so I would replace the B.A.T., Dr. Mindbender, and Viper with Doc, Clutch, and Wildbill. I feel all three are among the most iconic but get overlooked due to their status as drivers or of being among the dead. Bud disregarding that, I think those three all belong in the 25 most iconic

You give a PERFECT example as to why I can't believe that Hasbro couldn't come up with 25 POPULAR, yet "marketable", individual characters for this anniversary lineup BEFORE resorting to repeats. We all have some basics we agree on, but then there's so many we'd all be tossing around as maybe better selections.

I'd have ANY of those guys (or gals) before the variant of CC, SS, or SE, and the V2 SE was my FAVORITE, but the upgrade of his V1 appearance is better NOW, I think I like the commando look on him much better.

snakeeyessz0.png

also keep in mind that the Lees pics that were being passed around under the table was a pic/scan of the magazine.. where the page could have been tilted/bent when the scan/pic was taken.. and it could have made SE or Flints head look skinny or off a little.. I never saw the magazine "in hand" so I dont know if they really looked like that.. but I'm betting unless you have the mag with you, you're probably just oging to remember the scan and gonna go by that...

sorry if you guys arent' talking about that anymore, lol.. I saw the different head talk up towards the top and I wanted to mention that.. lol

I think these look even better than before, and I loved them the first time I saw 'em. My biggest complaint before was SE's head looking squeezed, but it looks much better now.

If Flint looks anywhere near to this picture when he's released, he might be my pick for Figure of the Year. He's absolutely awesome! Isn't the Airborne badge/pin appropriate since he graduated Airborne School? I'm not a military expert, but it seems appropriate.

I'm not too worried about more v2's of figures in this line. Why? Well, first let's clarify something. Does anyone here deny that this wave features ICONIC versions of POPULAR characters? Nobody can deny that fact. Okay, are there any more ICONIC versions of other POPULAR characters in the GI Joe universe? I can't think of any. Duke? Nope. SE? Nope. SS? Nope. Maybe an armored CC or dress uniform Gung-Ho, but I doubt it. So what is everyone worried about? Hasbro is releasing a few doubles of their most popular characters. Big deal.

I think people are becoming hung up on the number 25. We've heard from numerous sources that we'll be getting more than 25 figures in this line. I highly doubt Hasbo is going to invest all these resources into a one-shot line. They want it to succeed. They want GI Joe to become a popular brand again. They're making some strides with Sigma 6 which is getting a big push this year, and the Anniversary line is bringing back the 3.75"/4" scale to Joes. If they keep up this effort, this line will be fantastic.

Oh and one last thing. Hasbro doesn't owe any of us anything. They didn't have to make this line at all. They could have released some repainted RAH stuff to celebrate the Anniversary and taken the easy way out for some quick $. They didn't. They're making a pretty good committment to this Annivesary line (so far) and obviously want it to succeed. Have a little faith and patience.

Keep in mind though, that THESE pics are the official Hasbro pics. that everybody jumps to REMIND us are prototypes, mocked up versions, or something to that affect. ^_^

These pics are in line with, saaaaay.....

THIS picture of Roadblock:

roadblockjk3.png

Whereas, when Toy Fair came around, we gotta looksee at THIS version:

roadblock2fc0.png

"Duuuuuh..LOUIE!

"which way did he go...which waaay did he go???"

@lol@

So I wonder what the packaged version will look like?

Why does Roadblock look 5?

I like the new Flint, but I sont see why they didnt just use Storm Shadows upper arms instead of Duke's.

Another point, I dont like how they did second versions of the characters, even though I like most of the second versions better (except Snake Eyes).

And will we see a viper? They are the greatest!

Final point: I hope they eventually do a Night Creeper figure. Maybe in he next 25 (if they come out).

Oh and one last thing. Hasbro doesn't owe any of us anything. They didn't have to make this line at all. They could have released some repainted RAH stuff to celebrate the Anniversary and taken the easy way out for some quick $. They didn't. They're making a pretty good committment to this Annivesary line (so far) and obviously want it to succeed. Have a little faith and patience.

I hate when people say that. The toy companies do owe us. If we dont buy their product, they dont make money. They owe us(the consumer) their careers at that company, and if they dont make products that at least partially appease our desires(and therefore get us to shell out our hard earned bucks), they are going out of business.

Question: Why does it always seem like the collectors of a toy line could create a more marketable line than what is actually released by the company?

You said "GI Joe as a toy", which encompasses MORE than just 3.75 figures. GI Joe, as a toy brand, is far more resiliant than many fans give it credit for, and I'd also like to point out that the 3.75 line was "dead" in 1994, 1998, and in 2005 (Remember all the proclamations of GI Joe's demise shortly after Sigma Six was shown?), yet it has and continues to rebound.

In regards to the Toy Fair pics, Hasbro routinely uses preproduction prototypes that are HAND PAINTED for display, and unless the toy is due for release shortly after or before Toy Fair, you don't see finished samples. Notice how the legs screws are painted on many of the figures, which I can assure you won't happen for the final figures. Back in 2004, Hasbro showed a yellow Transformers Alternators Tracks at Toy Fair, but the final toy ended up blue.

I see what your saying, but Wave 4 Cancelled and a few figures for the 25th anniversery line is not what I call rebounding.. oh yeah, were getting more sigma six and 2.5 " figs.. I think I hear Charles Barkley

a couple of things.

I know I've thought this already, but I don't know if i put it down. I really like the flint figure, even the wings on his shirt, as someone said, was something that was actually on the original. my only complaint, as the main complaint it seems with everyone else, are the sleeves. But this complaint is two fold. I really wish they would put a little extra into this and make the rolled up short sleeves. For one, this is what, "iconically," Flint has. And two, with Snake Eyes's torso and either his arms or the sleeves that they could make for Flint, we'd have everything needed, except for heads, for original joes Stalker, Grunt, Zap, Short-Fuze, v1 Hawk, Breaker, and Rock & Roll. Not only that, but with arms already made, Clutch would only be a new torso away. That would be 10 out of 13, with Steeler, Grand Slam, and Flash the only three missing for down the road.

Also, prominent characters like Mutt and Spirit could use these arms on their figures, and if the line went farther, characters like Recondo, Falcon, Footloose, and Hasbro fave Tunnel Rat, too.

I really do like the Flint figure, and I have every intention of picking him up when he comes out, but I feel that if hasbro put in the time on this one, they would have a part that they could use later on, hence, cost efficient.

If Flint looks anywhere near to this picture when he's released, he might be my pick for Figure of the Year. He's absolutely awesome!

Ya know, I totally agree. I can't stop looking at his pic. He's badass. Truth be told, as much as I like the 85 version, he looks like a wimp next to his new incarnation. Let's admit it :)

Oh I know we shouldn't be comparing both (more than 20 years between them). But still!

Now, the Flint they released a couple of years ago - now that one sucked hard. Unlinke the comic pack one, which has a nice new head.

I'm not too worried about more v2's of figures in this line. Why? Well, first let's clarify something. Does anyone here deny that this wave features ICONIC versions of POPULAR characters? Nobody can deny that fact. Okay, are there any more ICONIC versions of other POPULAR characters in the GI Joe universe? I can't think of any. Duke? Nope. SE? Nope. SS? Nope. Maybe an armored CC or dress uniform Gung-Ho, but I doubt it. So what is everyone worried about? Hasbro is releasing a few doubles of their most popular characters. Big deal.

Yep, I was saying the same thing some days ago in ARBCO's thread - I don't think there's any more V2's or variants they can use. Including Storm Shadow V2 is the only thing I didn't expect. But if you think about it, it makes sense, for him (along with Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander) are among the most iconic and important GiJoe ARAH characters, so I can see Hasbro's reasoning here.

But I definitely don't expect any more repaints. There's no way they are making another Duke (at least not for the moment).

I think people are becoming hung up on the number 25. We've heard from numerous sources that we'll be getting more than 25 figures in this line. I highly doubt Hasbo is going to invest all these resources into a one-shot line. They want it to succeed. They want GI Joe to become a popular brand again. They're making some strides with Sigma 6 which is getting a big push this year, and the Anniversary line is bringing back the 3.75"/4" scale to Joes. If they keep up this effort, this line will be fantastic.

This line will be extremely successful and I think it's a given that 25's just a number - they'll be making many more than just 25.

Everyone will get these.

The key word here is Patience. Some will say Hasbro owes us and some will say we're lucky they're even doing this. But I think we should all agree on one thing: We've got to give them a chance. These figures aren't even out yet and look at all the hype they've generated. This is both good and bad. Me, I'll reserve judgement till I can hold them in my hands. But I really dig what I've seen so far.

Has anyone noticed that Storm Shadow v2 is standing on a base that has a Cobra symbol? I guess they're dropping the idea of having him defect to the Joes this time around.

Yep! It was discussed a few posts away :)

oh and beef664422:

Yeah, some have suggested the very same thing and I agree: it would have been a good strategy for Hasbro.

But well. I still think Flint looks awesome anyways. I can definitely see what you're talking about though.

I Love the Cobra Officer and CC. But Storm Shadow is a waste of a character. The first version is way better. Since they made Flint, Lady Jaye should be made too.