G.I.Joe 25th Anniversary: 5 More Of The 25

The Wire

2 Stormshadows

2 Snake-Eyes

2 Cobra Commanders

We're only getting 25 figures, I'd rather have unique ones. I want Zartan and the Dreadnoks, Clutch and the Vamp, Mindbender, Bludd and most everyone else. Hasbro said they'd like to have this be the start of an ongoing series, which would be great, but I'd rather save second versions for those future "let's see how the first 25 do" rather than taking the limited 25 slots.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Stormshadows

2 Snake-Eyes

2 Cobra Commanders

We're only getting 25 figures, I'd rather have unique ones. I want Zartan and the Dreadnoks, Clutch and the Vamp, Mindbender, Bludd and most everyone else. Hasbro said they'd like to have this be the start of an ongoing series, which would be great, but I'd rather save second versions for those future "let's see how the first 25 do" rather than taking the limited 25 slots.

But those initial sales are likely going to be a deciding factor, and to be brutally honest, a LOT of fan favorites just don't carry the kind of market weight Hasbro wants/needs for this line to be successful.

EVERYONE has favorites who probably won't make it in the first 25 (and again, it should be stressed that a LOT of those in the know, like General Hawk, are pretty much saying to expect MORE THAN 25 figures), but to be successful, Hasbro needs to lead with its best foot forward, which in this case, are iconic characters like the second versions of Cobra Commander and Snake Eyes, along with Storm Shadow. It should also be noted that one of the 25 slots is being taken up by the Cobra Trooper single pack, should that figure be removed since it will be available in the multipack?

The second version of Storm Shadow kicks ass! I'm only sorry it's the Joe version.

Interestingly, the newest images show the figure with a Cobra stand, so Hasbro might be doing some sly marketing, promote it as a Cobra (which he is best known as), but make the figure like the Joe one so fans could use him however they feel.

GI Joe has been in production non stop since 1982. Be it 2.5, 3.75, 4.5, 5.5, 8 or 12 inches, there has ALWAYS been some sort of GI Joe product available, whether it is what RAH or RAH centric fans WANT is another issue

2 Stormshadows

2 Snake-Eyes

2 Cobra Commanders

But those initial sales are likely going to be a deciding factor, and to be brutally honest, a LOT of fan favorites just don't carry the kind of market weight Hasbro wants/needs for this line to be successful.

It's a 25th anniversary edition though.

Either just do it right and all out or don't bother! It's just 25 figures, which should have been 25 individual characters, and we've already demonstrated (by compiling "wish lists") that 25 popular ARAH characters is easy enough to accomplish and STILL leave out some "fan favorites".

I don't follow the idea that we always have to PROVE our loyalty to Hasbro's G.I.Joe line, by buying Snake Eyes after Snake Eyes after Snake Eyes, so we MIGHT get somebody else for a change.

I'd imagine most collectors are tired of this practice, and if a new generation of G.I.Joe fans are to be achieved (the REAL weighty market) why wouldn't they be as thrilled with each and every character that was released, in the timeframe and succession they were originally.....TODAY?

Hasbro wants to do it all over again, then do it all over again like before, in the new style this time, with ALL the same characters as before, and not just go by what the OLD fans (now collectors) have dictated to them, what's hot and what's not. We're the only ones that know the history behind these figures and clamour after specific favorites, not the kids. Let'em develop their interests just the same way, and not try taking such shortcuts to multiple versions of the top 4!

Especially in a 25 figure limited 25 anniversary edition, that not only robs the kids of some of those fantastic characters, but cheats the old guys as well.

Somebody needs a new marketing agent. <_<

These second pics look great.

Is Flint's head a redo of the previous sample pics that some of us saw, but were taken down?

Because it looks different.

Did Hasbro change the head?

-PJ

We got the images ass-backwards this time.

The images we recieved of the first 10 figures, were the "prototypes" like what these here are. Then, we saw the versions of them (first 10) at the Toy Fair and noticed some differences (good or bad). I believe the images of THESE 5 (from the Lee's magazine article) would have been like the ones revealed at Toy Fair, and these (as they look on these new pics) are the doctored up prototypes.

The Flint head looks MUCH better, but is it the mass released FINAL version, or the test one?

Hasbro, stated the 25 most popular figures. Meaning which 25 figures sold the most. Obviously, CC V2, SE V, and SS V2 sold more than most of the rest. Based on that fact, Hasbro figures that a version 2 of these figures will outsell a different choice. Although, most here would love 25 individual figures, I would rather have these V2's over a crappy original figure. Don't get me wrong I would like to see a

jinx, doc, snowjob, torpedo, airborne, rock and roll, falcon, shockwave, beachhead, covergirl, and the list goes on, but did some of these figures out sell the version 2's? Also, you have to ask yourself, which FIGURES not characters were ICONIC in the eyes of the consumer/collector etc. It would be hard to leave off the three version 2's.

I wonder if they will make anymore, it is not guarenteed. If they don't, they better add zartan, firefly, bludd, hawk, stalker and lady jaye so at least this set will be a lot more well rounded.

I do agree with you viper hunter. On another note, since you want individual characters what 25 would you choose? I am curious to see that list :)

eh, i don't like it but i guess i can deal with stormy's cobra stand, not really a huge deal i guess as long as they don't slap a cobra logo on him. These pics do seem to be better of each one, i think it's the best shot of the duke/flint torso we have gotten. Flint does have camo, but he also has the eagle that will need to be dremeled off once i get him.

I'm dying for these guys they need to hurry up and get released!

Im not sure why people are going crazy over the airborne pin, the old flint did have one on his chest as well. In fact it was in almost the exact same positions as Dukes

It's a 25th anniversary edition though.

Either just do it right and all out or don't bother! It's just 25 figures, which should have been 25 individual characters, and we've already demonstrated (by compiling "wish lists") that 25 popular ARAH characters is easy enough to accomplish and STILL leave out some "fan favorites".

I don't follow the idea that we always have to PROVE our loyalty to Hasbro's G.I.Joe line, by buying Snake Eyes after Snake Eyes after Snake Eyes, so we MIGHT get somebody else for a change.

I'd imagine most collectors are tired of this practice, and if a new generation of G.I.Joe fans are to be achieved (the REAL weighty market) why wouldn't they be as thrilled with each and every character that was released, in the timeframe and succession they were originally.....TODAY?

Hasbro wants to do it all over again, then do it all over again like before, in the new style this time, with ALL the same characters as before, and not just go by what the OLD fans (now collectors) have dictated to them, what's hot and what's not. We're the only ones that know the history behind these figures and clamour after specific favorites, not the kids. Let'em develop their interests just the same way, and not try taking such shortcuts to multiple versions of the top 4!

I never said anything about fans having to prove our "loyalty" to the brand, moreover, DTC pretty much proved (whether accurate or not) how much support fans can really muster. And it doesn't matter if its the 25th, 30th or 50th anniversary, at the end of the day, it is still trying to be marketed as a mass retail toy line, which means it is still subject to the same issues the line faced back in 2002.

It is NOT 1985, GI Joe is not powerhouse it was.

The core character thing is dictated by RETAILERS, the guys who actually buy these things. If retailers don't buy into the line, then it won't happen PERIOD.

"Right" and "Wrong" are highly subjective, considering Snake Eyes, cobra Commander, and Storm Shadow were among the most often repeated characters in the original toyline, it DOES make sense to do at least the two most remembered/notable versions of these characters. Had Hasbro simply done a pack in part swap with the figures (ie, include both masks with the multipack Cobra Commander) then you would have STILL had people #$#@# over accuracy. And from my experience, those same three characters are among the better sellers in Sigma Six.

Retail doesn't work like it did in RAH, and Hasbro certainly doesn't have enough leverage to pull anything like that with retailers over 3.75, which is effectively being relaunched this summer.

It should also be noted that one of the 25 slots is being taken up by the Cobra Trooper single pack, should that figure be removed since it will be available in the multipack?

Has that been confirmed? I am hoping the answer to that is yes, because I think those of us planning on buying this line will buy quite a few, but I haven't seen that confirmed yet.

I do agree with you viper hunter. On another note, since you want individual characters what 25 would you choose? I am curious to see that list :)

joelist2me7.png

cobralist2wu4.png

I don't think it's EXACTLY what I'd choose, but I know some of my PERSONAL favs are not of the majority, so this was more of an attempt to list what I THINK could be a GOOD coverage of the top, most popular, most iconic characters WITHOUT repeats, for both Joe and Cobra, and I'll tell ya, it was TOUGH!

I feel a lot of great favorites were left out, so I'm wondering how in the hell can Hasbro leave out even MORE than this list, by doing version variations? <_<

Because "EEEEEEEEEVERYBODY LOVES SE, CC, SS! Is what they'll say. ^_^

Hell, if popular characters is all they think will sell the toys, why'd they make so many versions of Heavy Duty for Sigma Six?

joelist2me7.png

cobralist2wu4.png

I don't think it's EXACTLY what I'd choose, but I know some of my PERSONAL favs are not of the majority, so this was more of an attempt to list what I THINK could be a GOOD coverage of the top, most popular, most iconic characters WITHOUT repeats, for both Joe and Cobra, and I'll tell ya, it was TOUGH!

I feel a lot of great favorites were left out, so I'm wondering how in the hell can Hasbro leave out even MORE than this list, by doing version variations? <_<

Hell, if popular characters is all they think will sell the toys, why'd they make so many versions of Heavy Duty for Sigma Six?

Now, there is a list I CAN live with.

Lets hope if they do Firefly, they do not simply re-use Snake Eyes

I never said anything about fans having to prove our "loyalty" to the brand, moreover, DTC pretty much proved (whether accurate or not) how much support fans can really muster.

Oh, I know. When I go off like this, on a rant, keep in mind I'm reflecting on my OWN aggrevation towards HASBRO and not you personally. Your just the messenger or poster of the line of thinking that gets me going, and going, and going...

;)

And it doesn't matter if its the 25th, 30th or 50th anniversary, at the end of the day, it is still trying to be marketed as a mass retail toy line, which means it is still subject to the same issues the line faced back in 2002.

It is NOT 1985, GI Joe is not powerhouse it was.

It's never been given the full fledged effort that it was back then. They're still trying to capitlaize on what they achieved SINCE, with little effort, instead of trying to recreate the same process all over again, that could land a NEW following, and make it that ol' powerhouse once more, for the next generation.

Won't know till they try, and making 25 of the original lineup (most popular) would have been a nice start, but they went soft before the climax, and threw a couple of collector-minded dups in there, for "good" marketing strategy. <_<

e character thing is dictated by RETAILERS, the guys who actually buy these things. If retailers don't buy into the line, then it won't happen PERIOD.

I don't know how more than half the goofy-ass toylines make it then, because WHAT background do some of these weird characters and toys (I see out there on the pegs) have to judge THEM by, for the retailers to "buy into" it?

joelist2me7.png

cobralist2wu4.png

Now, there is a list I CAN live with.

Lets hope if they do Firefly, they do not simply re-use Snake Eyes

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. ^_^

joelist2me7.png

cobralist2wu4.png

That's a pretty good list. I could do without mindbender, but overall pretty sick. Hawk, stalker, lady jaye, firefly, zartan and bludd seem to be on alot of peoples lists. So I wonder whom the final 4 will be. There was a tru list, that named, beachhead, buzzer and serpentor, meaning room for only one more. Your list has a lot more cobra's then joes, which hasbro probably won't do. 13 joes and 12 cobras are probably realistic. I bet you the ones that don't make it on the original 25 make it on the next 25, if there is a next 25.

Another question, if hasbro came out and said we are going to do another 25 in 2008, would people be as worried?

I think, if you took the 50 best

joe and cobras, 95% of the board would be happy.

Another question, if hasbro came out and said we are going to do another 25 in 2008, would people be as worried?

Oh, I think so too! :)

Of course, they could screw it up with more versions of SE, SS and CC!

Here's a question...

Since OTHER characters don't sell as well, or don't interest the retailers, why should we think another 25 is possible? If we buy the crap out of this stuff, wouldn't it stand to reason (their reason) that it was because of the character selections and repeats?

Why would they reap in all our dough, only to turn around a chuck it, on making another 25 of the characters they've already deemed unmarketable NOW?

p.s. i like the visuals you did :)

Thanks! ^_^

These second pics look great.

Is Flint's head a redo of the previous sample pics that some of us saw, but were taken down?

Because it looks different.

Did Hasbro change the head?

-PJ

We got the images ass-backwards this time.

The images we recieved of the first 10 figures, were the "prototypes" like what these here are. Then, we saw the versions of them (first 10) at the Toy Fair and noticed some differences (good or bad). I believe the images of THESE 5 (from the Lee's magazine article) would have been like the ones revealed at Toy Fair, and these (as they look on these new pics) are the doctored up prototypes.

The Flint head looks MUCH better, but is it the mass released FINAL version, or the test one?

The Flint head look much better I agree, I would also suspect that this is more of a finalized head sculpt the the original pic so hopefully it won't change from this or it would only get better.

You might have misunderstood me. I think other characters will sell. I think the 3 v2's are ICONIC figures for the franchise, and I am assuming that hasbro felt that those would sell better (for the initial run), and give the line a chance for more of the lesser characters at a later date.

If they made for example

Cobra commander V1

Cobra Commander V2

Destro

Stormshadow

Stormshadow V2

Firefly

Bludd

Zartan

Cobra soldier

Cobra Officer

Buzzer

Serpentor

Duke

SE V1

SE V2

Scarlett

Stalker

Beachhead

Roadblock

Gungho

Hawk

Ladyjaye

Flint

This is a good list of ICONIC figures if these sell well they could make 25 more different figures that probably would consist of more fan favourites. For Example:

Covergirl

Doc

Rock & Roll

Snow Job

Jinx

shipwreck

Ace

Wildbill

Airborne

Spirit

Torpedo

Tomax

Xamot

Mindbender

Viper

BAT

Torch

Ripper

Crimson Guard

Scrap Iron

Copperhead

and still have 4 more slots for any other version 2's in this next run. You now have a good number of Different joe and cobras without having too many weak after 87 figures.

That's a pretty good list. I could do without mindbender, but overall pretty sick. Hawk, stalker, lady jaye, firefly, zartan and bludd seem to be on alot of peoples lists. So I wonder whom the final 4 will be. There was a tru list, that named, beachhead, buzzer and serpentor, meaning room for only one more. Your list has a lot more cobra's then joes, which hasbro probably won't do. 13 joes and 12 cobras are probably realistic. I bet you the ones that don't make it on the original 25 make it on the next 25, if there is a next 25.

I've heard Beachhead from several people too so heres hoping, hes the one I want the most.

I think some people would be worried b/c of possible repeats again but who knows, if Hasbro did a second group of 25 figs they may decide to go straight different characters and all unique.

The 50 best would more then likely please about 95% of the boards I'll agree with that so lets hope sales are good enough or better to warrant the continuation of the line.