Maguire Says Goodbye To Spider-Man

JayC

I'll never understand actors, why would they want to stop doing something if it still works. I would say wait to see the script of a fourth movie before deciding against it.

I agree. But if he wants out I won't shed a tear. While I thought he did a good job he's doesn't define the character for me as much as say Hugh Jackman does with Wolverine. That said, I do appreciate the work he did for the Spidey flicks. And that preview rocked!

I loved the fight/chase scene with Pete & New Goblin/Harry.

At first I hated the whole look for Harry, but it's obvious that he's not any Goblin, and just using some of Osborns gear to get revenge and it flows much more in the movie than I thought just seeing the scene in it's full now.

Nice that we got a clip with Venom, and Giant Sandman.

I'll never understand actors, why would they want to stop doing something if it still works. I would say wait to see the script of a fourth movie before deciding against it.

No actor wants to be typecast as just one type of character or person.....that can happen really easy if you just keep doing the same roll over and over.

No actor wants to be typecast as just one type of character or person.....that can happen really easy if you just keep doing the same roll over and over.

I wonder how much hes made off all 3 flicks... Personaly I wouldn't give a rats ass if I was making the $$ :D

I wonder how much hes made off all 3 flicks... Personaly I wouldn't give a rats ass if I was making the $$ :D

He made $4 million for the first and $17 million for #2 (even though he as asked for $25 mil or 10% of the gross B.O., whichever was higher). No numbers yet for #3 but it's gotta be $20+.

Him leaving should come as no shock. Actors hate to get typecast, even though he will never be in a movie again that has anywhere near the box office power that Spider-man does and he will never get a paycheck again like this. But, I suppose after a couple big paydays he wants to work on his resume some more. Big deal...75% of the time he is in the suit and 90% of that time is done by CGI...he's not really difficult to replace. They almost did it for Spidey 2 when he had a back problem from doing 'Seabiscuit.' @poop#

I'm more concerned about Raimi leaving.

Personally I’ve always found the Spiderman films extremely overrated. I understand how Spiderman pulls in such big numbers, but I don’t understand how they’ve become so critically acclaimed and praised by the fans. I’ve always felt that Kirsten Dunst and Toby McGuire are horrible actors. The Green Goblin looked like a power ranger and Harry Osborne GG looks more like the Rocket Racer. I think Sam Raimi was completely the wrong choice for Spiderman and he adds a campy, nonsensical tone to the characters and films. I felt he got Doc Ock right, but certain scenes were still horrible IMO. I mean for a man that claims to know Spiderman like the back of his hand, Raimi should really know that Peter was never that clumsy or humorous. Then in his early days he was a dork, but COMMON….He was never THAT bad. Perhaps I just have unreachable standards for my favorite Marvel Hero, but I truly feel the Spiderman films are corny and not worthy of all their praise.

So with that said, if Toby and Kirsten aren’t attacked to the fourth - I said good reddens and take Raimi with you too. @smilepunch@

This decision makes me laugh!

Does anyone remember Michelle Forbes? She played Star Trek hottie Ensign Ro on Star Trek TNG.

Star Treek: Deep Space Nine was actually developed as a starring vehicle for her, but she backed out, claiming that she didn't want to be typecast as a science fiction character for the rest of her career. Career?!?!? Has anyone seen her since? What a dope! She gave up a lifetime of work and the all-important residuals (such as a lifetime of cash - free money! - from syndication deals) because she didn't want to be "typecast". Yeah, Shatner really worries about being typecast!

Now, Maguire won't fade away like that, but seriously, why give up a good gig?? He's good, but he ain't Robert Deniro. Most actors toil in obscurity their entire lives, and if they're lucky, they can get a paying gig at a local dinner theatre.

Oh, well. C'est la vie...

Please....there has been NO official word that he has said that he isn't coming back.People are just taking what he said and making it into something it's not.

Maguire just said it "feels like the end"....it doesn't mean it is.I really think these is a strong possibility for a Spidey 4.There was nothing along his words that said anything about "I don't want to be Spider-man anymore."

Actors do this all the time and you can't take their word for it.

as long as they keep raimi thats fine

I would've not casted Eddie Brock yet, and saved Topher for Peter Parker/Spidey for SM4. He can pull it off more than Tobey. Anyone that watches That 70's Show knows he can.

• 3 weeks later...

Maguire has done a great job, but I say good riddance and lets get Jake Gyllenhaal in there. I like him tons better anyway, and he actually WANTS to be in the role.

Same with Dunst...Shes done well but she should not have been chosen for this role in the first place, based on looks alone IMO.

Raimi does need to stay though, he has gotten it very right with these movies.

As far as not wanting to be typecast, its a little too late for that now. They will ALWAYS be remembered for these roles. Look at the Star Wars cast (Ford, Fisher, and Hamill)...Ford is more diverse but Fisher and Hamill are only remembered for their SW roles because of the careers they chose afterwards.

Heh.

Leonard Nimoy, anyone??

Maguire did a lot better in this role than I thought he could do. When I first heard he was going to be Spidey I was like you have to be kidding. There's no way he'll be able to pull it off. He just seemed to much of a weiner even for Peter Parker. So if he's not there for "4" or "Spiderman begins" Hahaha then I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

I don't think I like Tobey Maguire as Spider-man in this point of his life. He made a great teenage/high school Spider-Man but they need to recast to fill the part of Spider-Man as he has been for the past 30 years.

I think Tobey Maguire fit the part much better than Hugh Jackman did Wolverine... that was just bad casting.

I remember Christopher Reeve stating back in an old 80's interview that Superman III would be his last Superman film yet, he came back to do the 4th one and I believe Maguire will be back to do one more Spidey film, but that's just a guess.

• 2 weeks later...
Personally I’ve always found the Spiderman films extremely overrated. I understand how Spiderman pulls in such big numbers, but I don’t understand how they’ve become so critically acclaimed and praised by the fans. I’ve always felt that Kirsten Dunst and Toby McGuire are horrible actors. The Green Goblin looked like a power ranger and Harry Osborne GG looks more like the Rocket Racer. I think Sam Raimi was completely the wrong choice for Spiderman and he adds a campy, nonsensical tone to the characters and films. I felt he got Doc Ock right, but certain scenes were still horrible IMO. I mean for a man that claims to know Spiderman like the back of his hand, Raimi should really know that Peter was never that clumsy or humorous. Then in his early days he was a dork, but COMMON….He was never THAT bad. Perhaps I just have unreachable standards for my favorite Marvel Hero, but I truly feel the Spiderman films are corny and not worthy of all their praise.

So with that said, if Toby and Kirsten aren’t attacked to the fourth - I said good reddens and take Raimi with you too. @smilepunch@

Totally Agree with pretty much everything you stated......plus Dunst is no where near what MJ should be looks wise. I always thought MJ was someone that when you saw them on the street you would wonder how that guy (Parker) got that girl (MJ)....Also the first Spider-man movie to me gets worse the more I watch it......the Goblin suit like you said could have been so much more....also they had a chance to redeem themselves with Harry but they chose to make him look like an X-Gamer on Steroids.....Hopefully they get Venom right but I got a feeling that they are going the same way of the other Marvel Franchises.....the third one pretty much is all flash and no substance.......Blade 3/X-3.....and Spidey.......plus making Sandman Uncle Bens killer is just unforgivable.

I would've not casted Eddie Brock yet, and saved Topher for Peter Parker/Spidey for SM4. He can pull it off more than Tobey. Anyone that watches That 70's Show knows he can.

Amen. I'm glad he's in 3, especially in a role as important as Venom, but he has always been who I see as THE Peter Parker.