Mark Wahlberg as Duke (possibly) in Live Action G.I. Joe

BrotherShane

Ving Rhames looks good too, but I really think That Dozer would take it completely, he can def. be goofy and tough at the same time.

To me, Rhames is just too short and round to be Roadblock. Now Michael Duncan Clark from Green Mile, Daredevil, and Armegeddon might work.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how I feel about the whole idea of the action man and what not, hmm im justnot sure how itll work for me, ehh we'll have to see, mixed feelings as of now

I hate the whole idea of a live-action movie to begin with, as they usually end up pretty campy (Street Fighter anyone?) but Wahlberg as Duke????

Just doesn't jive well with me.

If they want to go young like that, I'd think Paul Walker would be a better choice...

PAULWALKER.jpg

The 3 main Cobra characters are going to be a major issue for the producers / writers, because they all wear masks - I'm talking about Cobra Commander, Destro & Storm Shadow. While the last (SS) doesn't really need his "mask" on all the time, the other 2 have always (or almost) been depicted wearing their masks in both the Cartoon and Comic. If realism is what the producers are after, this will be a problem.

Now, with Destro, the solution's simple - just have him NOT wear his mask most of the time (go for a bald look), but DO show the mask (keeping the story about his family and all) and perhaps have him use it in some climatic scene. Perhaps something like what you see in GiJoe Reloaded, when we're first introduced to his character, if I'm not wrong.

And as for Cobra Commander - if he is disfigured, the mask can perhaps be justified, but I'd go for a "proto-suit" just like the one he uses in Reloaded, when he is only just beginning and recruiting Firefly, Storm Shadow and so on. That proto-costume made him look like a terrorist, which isn't bad. However - I'm not too sure about using blue and Cobra emblems so notoriously.

Really looking forward to this.

I saw him recently on Prison Break and thought he'd make a good Roadblock.

Roadblock.jpg

The IGN.com article pretty much spells out what I've said all along: that a GIJOE movie will be VERY difficult to make.

Di Bonaventura lays it all out as to why. GIJOE is not a widely recognized brand name outside of North America---Action Man actually has seen wider marketing, and is currently more prominent than GIJOE.

Marketing a strictly GIJOE storyline presents a bit of a perception problem with other markets because COBRA is a somewhat nebulously vague terrorist organization, not affilliated with any country or specific belief--and has no historical bearing, thus it becomes a analogy of something else. The potential accidental inferences right there if such a film were shown today would get it dropped from a LOT of markets. Not a good idea if the huge budget to make the thing needs to be recouped--and that will not happen in just the North American markets alone.

He's spot on about Snake-Eyes and COBRA too.

How do you take such a prominent character( Snake-Eyes), and pull it off if he's mute and pretty much faceless? How many people in the auidence would know American Sign, or be willing to accept other characters speaking for him? You'd get the "Lassie effect": Snake-eyes nods and Stalker says: " What he just told me was that there's 14 guard towers, each manned by two guards on rotating shifts, armed with 7.62 cal. semi-auto rifles, ranged to 1000 metres and using hollowpoint rounds, with tracers every fifth." Everyone else in the room blinks.

Yea, that would be dumb, right? How else do you work around that? The character just becomes a prop--hardly a meaty role at all.

Cobra in ANY recognizable incarnation is simply a cartoon. WHY would such a menacing bad guy need to wear a hood? Or a silver helmet?

If an modern American army fought a hooded mastermind, a silver-skulled villain and their legions--its something that ALOT of people would laugh at. The misconstrued inferences there are just a minefield to write through.....

It'll take some big balls to get a movie like this made in the first place and I just don't see it happening as a live-action feature unless its extremely well-written. Its better off as an animated cartoon--which is what it really is and always had been.

The IGN.com article pretty much spells out what I've said all along: that a GIJOE movie will be VERY difficult to make.

Di Bonaventura lays it all out as to why. GIJOE is not a widely recognized brand name outside of North America---Action Man actually has seen wider marketing, and is currently more prominent than GIJOE.

Marketing a strictly GIJOE storyline presents a bit of a perception problem with other markets because COBRA is a somewhat nebulously vague terrorist organization, not affilliated with any country or specific belief--and has no historical bearing, thus it becomes a analogy of something else. The potential accidental inferences right there if such a film were shown today would get it dropped from a LOT of markets. Not a good idea if the huge budget to make the thing needs to be recouped--and that will not happen in just the North American markets alone.

He's spot on about Snake-Eyes and COBRA too.

How do you take such a prominent character( Snake-Eyes), and pull it off if he's mute and pretty much faceless? How many people in the auidence would know American Sign, or be willing to accept other characters speaking for him? You'd get the "Lassie effect": Snake-eyes nods and Stalker says: " What he just told me was that there's 14 guard towers, each manned by two guards on rotating shifts, armed with 7.62 cal. semi-auto rifles, ranged to 1000 metres and using hollowpoint rounds, with tracers every fifth." Everyone else in the room blinks.

Yea, that would be dumb, right? How else do you work around that? The character just becomes a prop--hardly a meaty role at all.

Cobra in ANY recognizable incarnation is simply a cartoon. WHY would such a menacing bad guy need to wear a hood? Or a silver helmet?

If an modern American army fought a hooded mastermind, a silver-skulled villain and their legions--its something that ALOT of people would laugh at. The misconstrued inferences there are just a minefield to write through.....

It'll take some big balls to get a movie like this made in the first place and I just don't see it happening as a live-action feature unless its extremely well-written. Its better off as an animated cartoon--which is what it really is and always had been.

but the answer isn't make a Joe movie without Cobra and not called G.I. Joe. you think marketing is bad overseas for a G.I. Joe movie, try marketing a G.I. Joe movie in the U.S. that is not called G.I. joe and does not have Cobra. who is going to know what is, nevertheless supposed to have a built in interest in it because it is G.I. Joe.

make a cool movie, and you could market it overseas called "Soldiers in Dresses." is the title they come up with going to make it any more recognizable overseas? I am willing to bet G.I. Joe will have more recognition overseas than some random title.

and if we are still dealing with the "cobra" (x-rex) villian and destro then you can count me out, and if action man is in it? you can count me out, and wait... if it's not called G.I.Joe? again you can count me out. I already see a liberal twist in this, our prez put us in this position? congress didn't vote? We weren't attacked? we didn't have upteen resolutions against Iraq? yeah so it went badly once we got there.. oh i'll shut up i don't want to start a politcal tangent but it appears Hollywood is too liberal and too greedy to make a good joe movie. I'm also betting it won't come about if tfs tank and i think from a fan stand point it will and from the general audience, it's highly possible.

I'm also betting it won't come about if tfs tank and i think from a fan stand point it will and from the general audience, it's highly possible.

I disagree. TF's is going to be huge because it is aimed at the non-collectors, and as a result G.I. Joe will get made in the same fashion. and while I am not upset at the idea of a new take on G.I. Joe, it still has to be called G.I. Joe to be a G.I. Joe movie, and have some aspect of Cobra in it.

If hasbro is involved in this then you can be sure that it will be a turkey!

they should cast "GOOD"unknown actors in all the roles. keep the budget free for locations and effects!

TM

It's always box office death whenever they mess around with an established property's history too much. I think making Hawk a "suit" is about as big a change as you can do, taking the unit's commander and saying he's not going to get involved in a fire-fight. The point of GI Joe is that even the leader isn't afraid to see battle. You change that, and they're just like any other military unit. You've killed some of what makes it special. If you want to do a big-name cameo casting, then how about using General Flagg as the top honcho who never sees battle? You can't cage up a guy named "Hawk." It's just wrong.

I don't think it spells box office death as a certainty. Spiderman's organic webshooters anyone? Mary Jane (or rather, it should've been Gwen Stacy) living through the end of the first movie. Every Marvel and DC movie has played with the origins in one way or another. Some more disastrously than others.

At any rate, if Hawk started off in this movie as a Lt. Colonel or Colonel, I might be able to believe that he would be in the field. After reading and watching so many other military shows, movies and comics, it hard for me to believe they would let a general go into the field. That's is if realism is to take any part of this movie.

Hell, the movie could start off with Hawk leading a mission for the explosive opening of the movie and be moved up the chain of command by midway of the movie if one wants to establish Hawk as a character who wanted to be in the field. There are many ways to handle Hawk's role and his role as leader.

Duke will almost assurredly be in the forefront of the movie (more marketable character). Of course, they could always go the route of Hawk still being the field commander, and have Duke be the maverick second-in-command.

you would have to use snake-eyes as a solo guy, the silent creeper who works pretty much alone and you could actually have a really nice scene where he infiltrates a base and takes out a lot of people using his ninja and commando skills, perhaps leading to a battle with storm shadow.

destro's mask is so iconic that audiences would accept it as easily as they did darth vader and V in v for vendetta.

duke being too young would be unbelievable, IMHO. you want to see a guy who looks experienced, kinda like the guy who plays o'neill in SG1

you would have to use snake-eyes as a solo guy, the silent creeper who works pretty much alone and you could actually have a really nice scene where he infiltrates a base and takes out a lot of people using his ninja and commando skills, perhaps leading to a battle with storm shadow.

Totally. I think that's pretty much a given. I'm sure we'll see a scene like this.

destro's mask is so iconic that audiences would accept it as easily as they did darth vader and V in v for vendetta.

I disagree. Destro is iconic just for us, the fans. And with Star Wars you've got a space opera set in the future (or very very distant past :P), which means you can easily buy into some guy wearing a mask/helmet like that, whereas G.I.Joe needs to be grounded in reality. An example like V for Vendetta is certainly closer to what we can expect, since that film tries to remain realistic as much as it can... and the fact that the MAIN character wears a mask all the time was a big risk they took, indeed. But I think G.I.Joe's a whole different scenario.

Destro has always been my favorite character but I'll be the first to tell you that he can't be wearing his mask all the time. Whoever plays him should shave his head and that's as close as we'll get to his character, looks-wise. The mask WILL be there - but only for good reasons:

1) whenever he tells his family's tale

2) perhaps some climatic scene where he puts it on (I'm always thinking about his introduction in G.I.Joe Reloaded, where he puts on his mask on and only then orders his minions to execute the poor bastard.

Now, for Cobra Commander - that's the one character that should wear a mask as much as possible. Either because he's disfigured or because that's one of the main "themes" of his message to the world. Let me explain:

I know that "masks" is a big theme for Cobra as a terrorist organization or a pseudo-nation - And in fact, I think the writers could use "masks" as part of Cobra's message to the world concerning privacy, a hot topic these days.

Cobra is about anonymity.

But I'd still be careful about too many characters wearing masks.

duke being too young would be unbelievable, IMHO. you want to see a guy who looks experienced, kinda like the guy who plays o'neill in SG1

While not my first pick for Duke, I think Wahlberg's age is just fine.

If Lucas could pull off six starwars movies, and spiderman, batman, superman, and the xmen, and fantastic four were made, they can easily pull off Gi Joe. Especially since they are making a transformers movie. Transformers and GI Joe go hand in hand as they were always on at around the same time.

I've been wanting to see an Action Man/GI Joe crossover, but not like this. I think it should be

1. CGI by ReelFX. GI Joe's and Action Man's CGI films were made by them so this could work

2. NO ALEX MANN! The mid-90s Action Man with amneisia would make SUCH a better character

As for Hawk in the field, should be saved for the end. The mission becomes so big, the general himself has to come in to see it through