Awesome idea for a toyline...

supreme-d

I was looking to buy a Bruce Lee figure, since hes my idol and all, but I can never find one that I can afford. The newest 'Game of Death' figure looks amzing, but I dont have 300 dollars to spend on a toy. Id rather spend it on cocaine.

But seriously I was contemplating how awesome it would be to have a line of Martial Arts Legends figures. Think of the possibiblites...

Bruce Lee (self explanitory)

Jackie Chan (peking opera and great fight coreographer among other things)

Chuck Norris (general bada$$)

Joe Lewis (karate legend, former marine)

Frank Shamrock (Ken's brother)

Royce Gracie (Brazillian Jui-Jitsu)

Helio Gracie (founder of Gracie BJJ)

Musashi Miyamoto (probobly the most famous samurai)

Takeda Shingen (famous samurai)

Dong Keun Park (Tae Kwon Do)

Masahiko Kimura (beat Helio Gracie, judoka)

Jim Harrington (the other Chuck Norris, lol)

Brandon Lee (Bruces kid)

Dolph Lungren (yes, thats Ivan Drago)

Sonny Chiba (The Street Fighter)

Benny Urquidez (the Jet)

Jean Claude Van Damme (solely for 'Bloodsport')

Jack Johnson (the first african american boxer)

Dan Inosanto (Bruce Lee's successor)

Tony Jaa ('Ong Bak' and 'The Protector')

Bas Rutten (scary dude, mma)

Bret Hart (Best there is, was, ever will be)

Randy Couture ("Captain America", Greco-roman wrestler)

Antonio Inoki (he IS Japanese pro wrestling)

Karl Istaz (founder of shoot style wrestling)

Tito Ortiz (Hunnington Beach bad boy)

I would buy all of these. ALL. Whose with me, if even just partially.

This sounds like it would be more up NECA's alley, with movie-specific versions of the major martial arts action stars like Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris, Tony Jaa, and Jean Claude...although fully-articulated versions would rock. I dunno how well they'd sell, though...good idea, though. I'd like some of those figures!

I would like a Legends line of random famous people, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Bruce Lee would be obvious choices, but I would also like a Sammuel L Jackson or Ben Aflek.

@lol@

This sounds like it would be more up NECA's alley, with movie-specific versions of the major martial arts action stars like Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris, Tony Jaa, and Jean Claude...although fully-articulated versions would rock. I dunno how well they'd sell, though...good idea, though. I'd like some of those figures!

Yeah I was thinking that at first (how the 'Now Playing' company could make movie characters like Lee in 'Game of Death' or Jackie in 'Young Master'), but then I realised I dont just want the movie star legends, I want the pioneers and foundation layers of all of martial arts. I mean id love to get a figure or Sonny Chiba as Terry Tsurugi, but if it meant that the line would be limited to only characters played by martial arts actors I wouldnt want it at all. Mostly i wanted toys that arent the characters at all, like all of the Bruce Lee toys. I dont remember what the names of the characters he played were called, because I always called him Bruce, no matter what movie he was in. And i especially want popular MMA fighters like Frank Shamrock and Royce Gracie, and legends like Masahiko Kimura (my favorite judoka) and Antonio Inoki. Heres hoping that SOTA gets bored of NOT putting out new 'Street Fighter' figures and moves onto a dedicated project of my choosing.

sike

All this talk of Sonny Chiba is making me want to petition for a Clarence Worley figure from the Tony Scott movie 'True Romance'. Why do toy companies make everything but what I really want? @lol@

No Jet Li?

And Sota's SF Fei Long makes a pretty convincing Bruce Lee, if you need a stand-in.

Oops I forgot Jet Li. Really sorry, especially since 'Fearless' was my favorite movie of last year. And yeah I bought 2 Fei- Longs, its just the head looks so very anime that I know it's not him. Still a pretty figure though.

Speaking of those random famous people toys, id like a Samuel L. Jackson as Jules (Pulp Fiction), and Ben Afleck from Good Will Hunting.

I would go bananas for Toybiz to grab the license for Def Jam:Vendetta, Fight for NY & Icon...Not only does it have a ton of people from different ethnicities as featured characters, but the latter two games boasted a build a fighter mode...A BUILD A FIGHTER MODE!!!

But onward and upwards, I guess? Jeff Speakman could easily replace Van Damme. Chow Yun Fat as Det. Tequila, Michelle Yeoh from Supercop, Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Steve McQueen (Bruce's most famous student!)

You'd have a problem convincing anybody Frank Shamrock is popular after the Elite XC event, man. IMHO, he always has been and always will be in Ken's shadow... and good job. Ken rocks.

I'd buy a specific UFC line, for sure. There's a lot of call for a toyline aswell, but no word from anybody just yet.

If you're looking for figures of Inoki, there's an HAO figure, several Charapro and atleast one "GI Joe style" figure of him.

Opticon - I did just that with my Fei Long. LOL. How obvious did they make it who he was supposed to be? LOL

Not entirely certain this is a Marvel Legends discussion though...

Actually, I'd like to see Marvel Toys tackle a video game license...Def jam?! All those characters, all those ethnicities, all the possibilities?! I know for a fact that Ghost Face Killah would kill for a real action figure of himself...but A Henry Rollins? Flavor Flav? and maybe...just maybe a Danny Trejo as well? I could see tons of customs stemming from that line!

Drake (who preceded John Cena by at least three years)

Drake_screen.jpg

Danny Trejo (I'm sure Desperado customs would soon follow!)

Trejo.jpg

Carmen Electra

CarmenElectra.jpg

& of course

Henry Rollins!

Rollins.jpg

Not entirely certain this is a Marvel Legends discussion though...

I only put the topic here because I want the company Marvel Toys to make them. Because the figures would have to be super-articulated to simulate the movements of the martial artists, and Toybiz has an esteemed reputation for making such figures. I really wouldnt want any other company to make them (I would ask SOTA, but I want them to come out in my lifetime). Also, these super-articulated type figure have a certain fanbase, most of which is located with the fans of marvel legends/Spiderman/Xmen figures on these boards.

And about Jim Kelly and Bolo Yeung, I was just putting down names that I knew of, perhaps sparking peoples interest in those fighters. I would like for this line to contain any martial artist, as any sort of martial arts toyline would spur interest in the martial arts. As long as I got a Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Tony Jaa, Chuck Norris, Van Damme, and Sonny Chiba, im sure the line would at least last one wave. Those are probobly the most popular contemporary MA/movestars I can think of. If anything, it would be more succesful than the next wave of Superman repaints from Mattel.