Ball and Joint connections on new figures

Viper Hunter

cobrasoldierfy2.png

For those in-the-know, that have action figures designed this way, or those that handled them at the Toy Fair show, exactly WHAT kind of range of motion does this chest piece (ball joint/socket?) have?

It LOOKS to me, to have practically no forward and back motion, but merely a swivel side to side capability? There's not enough gap between the upper chest piece and lower torso section, to allow much of a bending forward position. :(

Is this REALLY such a superior design, when compared to the allowance of motion allotted from the O-ring design...or just a cheaper route to take?

I would have LOVED to have seen a professional (of sorts) position these figures in several different poses, to demonstrate the range of motion they now possess, if in fact it's superior to past designs. Knowing it would be something of a controversy, I would have taken the extra effort to present the figures in as COOL as POSSIBLE imagery, for the public's viewing.

They always seem to be haphazardly hot glued to a stand, without much care in how they look, which is kinda critical in regards to articulation features and aesthetics. At least you'd THINK, when displayed for the fandom to take a peak at and critique upon.

^_^

Maybe something along these lines, is what I'm talking about, as far as "action poses"..

actionposepk5.png

• Like 13

Hey VH,

In regards to your question about the articulation, I can tell you that these figures have far more articulation than any previous figures. Yes the O-ring is gone, but frankly it is not needed as you really don't lose any possability and you end up with a far better constructed and more sturdy constructed figure.

That being said, the articulation will vary a bit from figure to figure...there will always be the same amount, but sometimes it will be a little different. Hasbro is trying to balance the aesthetics of the figure along with including all of the possability they can. For example, all of the figures have that upper chest joint, which they lowered on CC in order to keep the look of the figure. CC's joint doesn't quite move as forward as the others, but it moves enough. Frankly, I am OK with this as I don't plan on having CC in any crazy ninja battle poses. The other figures have a better degree of motion on this joint, as due to the positioning of it. I am someone who is honestly more concerned about the look of the item. My ONLY slight gripe with the CC is that his left fist is clenched/closed so he could only hold items in his right hand. While a cool feature, and it adds character to the figure, it does limit him a bit. It is easy enough for them to change if the line continues...

Also, in terms of looks, most of the joint pins will be covered in final production, though I believe the screws will still be visible. As of right now there is no back screw hole and I don't believe that will change. If figures require backpacks they will connect to the harnesses for a more realistic look. That might create a few compatibility issues with older vehicles, but that is not Hasbro's concern. New vehicles (IF they are made) will also have harnesses, belts..etc to hold in figures.

HOPE this helps a bit......

ARBCO

in fact tapeworm my reserves with that of the new figures, did not have the league type "o" but the models that showed in the beginning seen very promising, but, if asi is the finished one of the figure, it really disappoints to me, I waited for a quality level far better, and single I see a repetition of the series legends but in 3'34 "

somebody thinks the same?

I can't tell for sure but i'd say they have a little, but not much motion frontwards and backwards. It doesn't take a huge gap for a little movement.

I'm wondering how easy the necks pop off i'm hoping for exactly the same neck as barrage.

Does it look like these figures all have man-boobs to any one else??? The articulation on the torso just looks to high IMO. If they really are like the clone troopers then i guess they can at least look like theyre shooting a gun when you lay them on their belly but do they sit down funky as well? I think thats why hasbro didn't make any vehicles... they just can't sit down in them :P

The neck is is part of the torso and is not removable. The heads are ball jointed and can be popped right off very easy.

Does that mean that theyre going to pop off ALL TIME for no reason like the agent courtney krieger? I know some people loved this figure but the ball jointed head doesn't look good for a female. made her look manly....

do these figures have the clicky joints.... you know when they "click" into place like the bombstike and spirit iron knife etc....?

The popping heads thing, it varies from figure to figure. The only gauge we really have is the Showdown line, and some of those figures were better constructed than others. Personally, I haven't had any problems with Krieger's head *touch wood*

The line of separation between chest and abdomen looks ok, looks about right for a guy with either developed pecs or, as you say, man boobs. LOL. But yeah, it's the rig that bugs me more than anything...

Legs-wise, they should be fine sitting down. Double-knees and ball hips are great for seated poses ala marvel legends

Hey VH,

In regards to your question about the articulation, I can tell you that these figures have far more articulation than any previous figures. Yes the O-ring is gone, but frankly it is not needed as you really don't lose any possability and you end up with a far better constructed and more sturdy constructed figure.

I'm one of those, that feels MORE articulation is not always such a GOOD thing, but rather...articulation in just the RIGHT amount and appropriate places is ALL that's required. Articulation that distracts from the overall appearance of the figure, is not a good thing, so the fact that these might have MORE articulation, than any previous figures, doesn't ease my skepticism.

That being said, the articulation will vary a bit from figure to figure...there will always be the same amount, but sometimes it will be a little different. Hasbro is trying to balance the aesthetics of the figure along with including all of the possability they can.

They're skating close to the edge of the ice on this one. My above comments covered the reasons why I'm thinking so.

For example, all of the figures have that upper chest joint, which they lowered on CC in order to keep the look of the figure. CC's joint doesn't quite move as forward as the others, but it moves enough. Frankly, I am OK with this as I don't plan on having CC in any crazy ninja battle poses. The other figures have a better degree of motion on this joint, as due to the positioning of it. I am someone who is honestly more concerned about the look of the item. My ONLY slight gripe with the CC is that his left fist is clenched/closed so he could only hold items in his right hand. While a cool feature, and it adds character to the figure, it does limit him a bit. It is easy enough for them to change if the line continues...

Todd McFarlane has a line of action less figures that have AWESOME sculpting and detail, with little to no articulation at all. That's not my idea of a cool action figure toy for kids, nor is it all that much of a particular interest, although my old stepson LOVED'em and I enjoyed interacting with him on his hobby and helping out, but it was never my cup of tea. It's G.I.Joe or bust! #US1#

CC's clenched fist and the V2's wind swept hood are two features I find disappointing. Anything of a PREposed nature, that I can't manipulate into my OWN position for display or even PLAY, would be a distraction not an attraction. The charm of G.I.Joe has always been that they're made for a boy but loved as well by us big KIDS! :)

Personally, I thought Hasbro had reached the pinnacle of a highly articulated G.I.Joe action figure, with awesome aesthetics with the Major Barrage figure seen here...

barrageuu7.png

Why they thought it necessary to move BEYOND this, is BEYOND me, as I don't think the new figures are superior in any way, and with the absence of the O-ring, actually is a step BACK in articulation. The new figures offer only the swivel feet in addition to the Barrage figure, and that one I could have done without, to keep the WAIST articulation. We've lost the O-ring and gained a swivel foot? <_< Bad substitution!

Looking at the CC figure for example...

cc8io4.png

Compared to the Barrage figure, the knees look awful, and now we have additional rivets on the figure, which in terms of aesthetics, is a distraction and to what benefit of ANY range of motion over the previous style? Barrage has the injection molding, which looked AWESOME on areas such as the shoulders, and now they've moved away from that, and the shoulders will have visible pins. @hmmm@ That's better?

Then you look at the obvious separation between chest and torso, with the new ML feature, and it's another distraction against aesthetics and for WHAT added range of motion over the O-ring? Less motion in fact apparently, because they really CAN'T bend forward and back, just SWIVEL side to side at the chest line? So we now have a distracting break in the torso that offers little movement.

Not seeing much to support the notion that they're "better constructed" or more "sturdy" than what was being offered previously.

It would still seem to be nothing more than Hasbro still trying to capitalize on the ML phenomenon currently, and go with the classic LOOKING arah Joes, in a DIFFERENT style, not so much a superior style at that, but like another style, that's popular at the moment. :(

• Like 13

vh- i agree that the amount of articulation takes away from the figures. it makes them not look human imo...thats the reason why i am hoping that they make a bat because this amount of articulation would be perfect for one IMO.However, i think we can't take to much from the pictures. i mean, they look like a monkey posed them. if they were all straight up, arms at their sides i think we would have better idea of what these guys actually look like. i have always hated articulation of any kind on the feet. ie the new sculpt night creeper. i love the figure but standing 50 of them up straight on a figure stand was a pain.

vh- i agree that the amount of articulation takes away from the figures. it makes them not look human imo...thats the reason why i am hoping that they make a bat because this amount of articulation would be perfect for one IMO.

This is true! On something such as the BAT, the pins and rivets would look VERY appropriate and not distract from the looks of it.

However, i think we can't take to much from the pictures. i mean, they look like a monkey posed them. if they were all straight up, arms at their sides i think we would have better idea of what these guys actually look like. i have always hated articulation of any kind on the feet. ie the new sculpt night creeper. i love the figure but standing 50 of them up straight on a figure stand was a pain.

@loll@

I'll have to add something positive here, before I get lynched for my negativity on these issues I'm addressing, that of the entire lot, I'm still pretty impressed with the 3 figures here...

sampleue0.png

Sculpting wise and proportions and such...they're damn fine specimens, and I'm looking forward to having them in hand and seeing what I can do with them, for some quick dio fun. I know they're superior in appearance to that of they're predecessors, but not necessarily superior to that of recent articulation features presented to us, over the last several years, with my above post explaining that.

• Like 12

here is where me and you agree quite a bit. The double knee joints are ugly and i'd prefer the old style. I don't mind the lacking 0-ring but the mid torso is ugly. THe pte figures have a waist joint and are o-ring less and honestly both their torsos and crotches look better than these. I like you wish they would have started with barrage and just added ankle articulation, maybe thigh. I don't mind the 0-rings being replaced but they also moved the point of articulation not just the type, that i don't like.

In answer to some of the questions above:

1) The heads do Not easily pop off, they are on quite tight, but they can be popped off.

2) The joints do Not "click" at all, they are smooth moving joints.

3) As far as the articulation ruining the look of the figures, based on the prototype photos that exist and what I possess, I would tend to agree. However, I have been told that the pins will disappear in final production which will help them look much better. I am not sure though if the screws will disappear or if they will atleast be painted in the final product. I agree that the knees really don't need double joints and mess with the aethetics of the figures a bit, but Hasbro is trying.

I seen this mentioned a few times in different threads, do NOT judge or even try to compare the quality (or LACK thereof) of the Marvel Superhero Showdown figures to these. There is no comparison at all. These figures are very solid and well made. They will NOT fall apart, pop apart, or have any of the problems of the Marvel figures.

ARBCO

One thing I would like to ask ARBCO, is that the crotch seems to be limiting in terms of a forward sitting position. I know that the legs still have ball joints, but I am concerned about the inner "crotch" area of the waist. It's seems to me that the older slim design would allow for a much more neutral sitting position with the legs straight out in front than these figurs appear to allow. If you could answer that for me using what you have, I'd be grateful.

However, i think we can't take to much from the pictures. i mean, they look like a monkey posed them. if they were all straight up, arms at their sides i think we would have better idea of what these guys actually look like. i have always hated articulation of any kind on the feet. ie the new sculpt night creeper. i love the figure but standing 50 of them up straight on a figure stand was a pain.

@loll@

I'll have to add something positive here, before I get lynched for my negativity on these issues I'm addressing, that of the entire lot, I'm still pretty impressed with the 3 figures here...

sampleue0.png

Sculpting wise and proportions and such...they're damn fine specimens, and I'm looking forward to having them in hand and seeing what I can do with them, for some quick dio fun. I know they're superior in appearance to that of they're predecessors, but not necessarily superior to that of recent articulation features presented to us, over the last several years, with my above post explaining that.

thank you for making me feel like a ##$%$#.... :( i actually haven't seen that pic of the SE and the trooper pics i saw were from the side.

i was making a reference more to the cc in the pic you posted. if he was standing straight up we would have a better idea about that particular figure.

why is se sword/knife so tiny :( poor guy.

thank you for making me feel like a ##$%$#.... :( i actually haven't seen that pic of the SE and the trooper pics i saw were from the side.

poster_oops.gif I didn't mean to!

i was making a reference more to the cc in the pic you posted. if he was standing straight up we would have a better idea about that particular figure.

True. I think having the knees bent like that, definitely revealed something I'm glad I got to see though, and that's just how nasty those hinged knees look on these figures. Straight up ok, but bent they're horrible.

• Like 12

why is se sword/knife so tiny :( poor guy.

he's THAT good, lol...

about the mid section joint.. I hope they're done far FAR better than the showdown figures.. I know ARBCO said the quality isn't the same, but I hope the mechanics are changed too, I've popped a couple of my marvel showdown figures apart for customs and inside you can see they're meant so they can bend over(like a human would to touch your toes), but in reality.. it falls short on some cause of the sculpting involved...

So, I hope that was looked at and changed at least.. cause you can really tell they used the showdown figures as a base on what to do.

poster_oops.gif I didn't mean to!

True. I think having the knees bent like that, definitely revealed something I'm glad I got to see though, and that's just how nasty those hinged knees look on these figures. Straight up ok, but bent they're horrible.

that's one of the things I didn't like about some wrestling figures that came out and have those double jointed knees... some look good cause they have these thin rubbery knee pads actually covering up the joints.. but then there's guys that wear pants and when they're knees are bent, it just looks wrong.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/?mode=view&alb...00&start=20

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/?mode=view&alb...00&start=40

The crotch is wider, but due to the construction it does not hinder the figure from sitting down properly and it allows for the same amount of articulation as the O-ring figures had. For those who complained about the bow legged look of the figures, I am expecting that to be corrected and the legs to be tighter in the crotch sockets in final production.

that's one of the things I didn't like about some wrestling figures that came out and have those double jointed knees... some look good cause they have these thin rubbery knee pads actually covering up the joints.. but then there's guys that wear pants and when they're knees are bent, it just looks wrong.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/?mode=view&alb...00&start=20

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/?mode=view&alb...00&start=40

@grumpy@ That looks like hell.

Anybody know why they would have opted for this feature over what they had before? I see no added range of motion, and if there is, is it enough to warrant the damage to the figures appearance?

• Like 12

if I remember right, the double-jointed knees in the showdown figures had two joints that both had a wide range of motion. you could almost take the toys calf and touch it to the thigh. My thinking then, with the height of the two knee joints in the pic then, is that if you disregard the bottom knee joint and just use the top knee joint then they would seem very similar to what we had in VvV and DTC. now, I do agree that this would only matter if they hid the rivets, but if they do, and you don't like the double jointed knees, you should be able to use the top joint only and "pretend" like the bottom one wasn't there. When it isn't opened it doesnt appear to be nearly the eyesore.

if I remember right, the double-jointed knees in the showdown figures had two joints that both had a wide range of motion. you could almost take the toys calf and touch it to the thigh. My thinking then, with the height of the two knee joints in the pic then, is that if you disregard the bottom knee joint and just use the top knee joint then they would seem very similar to what we had in VvV and DTC. now, I do agree that this would only matter if they hid the rivets, but if they do, and you don't like the double jointed knees, you should be able to use the top joint only and "pretend" like the bottom one wasn't there. When it isn't opened it doesnt appear to be nearly the eyesore.

Then you'd have a lower leg, from knee to foot, ridiculously long (longer than it's already being designed to be as it is).

yeha but look at the snake eyes gung ho and trooper pics you put up... the lower leg wouldn't really look that long at all. the old figures didn't hinge in the middle of the knee, but rather, just above the knee. Thats why so many of the new sculpt figures could get away with knee pads. the upper knee joint would be the same way, just above the knee.