Minmate Customs

Sarge8170

So Ive been tossing around the idea of trying my hand at customs recently. Ive never really done and kind of custom work besides making a few hockey masks into Jason masks. I figure Im going to start small since I have all the C3 DC minimates that I dont really need any more now that the new DC minimates are out. So Im looking for advice from some of the experieced customizers here. Any tips you can give about paint or other techiques would be awesome. Im looking to build my skill and confidence with the minimates so I can hopefully work my way up to ML or icons.

Well first off I'd advise using Acrylic over enamel paint any day for custom figures. Enamel tends not to dry properly and will always remain slightly tacky since it doesnt react with the plastic as well as acrylic does.

For joints it's probably best to sand them down a bit before painting so that once the paint is added on later the joints won't rub as much as if they weren't sanded which could result in the paint wearing entirely off the joints.

To remove joints there's the method of heating the figure with a hairdryer then carefully popping the parts off. I'm pretty sure it'd work on Minimates for the elbow joints. The knee joints however I wouldn't really know what to suggest for removing the shin from the rest of the leg sorry. ^^;

there are also alot of sculpting materials out there. The ones I've heard the most good things about are apoxie sculpt, epoxy (green stuff) and ..urgh, Ill get the name in a minute. Jin reccomends it so it's gotta be good. B)

And thats pretty much all I know about customising since I don't do it often. But still, its wise to start off small. Thats what Im doing with stikfas. I think Ill have a try at customizing a minimates soon though.

Customizing minimates is very different from Marvel Legends. The hardcore pros of minimate customization create designs on Illustrator or Photoshop and print them out on clear decals to apply to the figures. Check out the site above for some amazing work.

Ahh never knew of that site. Ill have to check that out for myself! :)

Cool thanks for the tips. I was thinkig about doing a USAgent since I have an extra Captain America, and Im also working on a Stilt-Man, but I havent gotten much further than figuring out how to do the legs on him yet.