Hawkman.......

the dc direct fan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh the 13" line rocks! I have the Batman and I'll be getting that Superman soon. I just want to say another thing about Hawkman... He is taller then Martian Manhunterpost-4952-1172698443_thumb.jpg

The McGuinness Superman has the classic closed eye look which I'm cool with. The Future Superman from the latest wave of S/b has normal eyes. I'll post more pics of the three figures I got later but for now I am going out and celebrating my birthday some more lol

What is DCD thinking????????

I was ok with Martian Manhuter being a bit larger than the other figures but Hawkman?

Makes me wonder how did Batman win the fight in SUperman/Batman

Yeah, went to the ol' LCS to pick these up today. I ended up passing on them because they were overpriced IMO, so I'll just order the set on eBay or something. Anyways, yeah, I too noticed Hawkman was freakishly large. I don't read the comics, but is he drawn that big in comparison to the others? The figure itself is great, but its just soooo big, it doesn't really blend in too well with the rest of the line.

If it is simply a scale problem, then HTF did it happen? Its all based on the same art, by the same artist. There really shouldn't be ANY problems in scale with this line. Poorly done DC, way to to go. Another good line they have to F up with scale issues. Normally it doesn't bother me as much, but this line seems too simple to screw up, or so I thought.

AAHAHHAHAHAH NOW I know I am sticking to the Dc 13 " line..... The only other Dc figures I will buy are the JSa ones & almost any Batman figures..... thats it.....

Is it any wonder that the only thing I buy from DC Direct anymore is the 13" line?

Careful Jase, don't jinx us! @smilepunch@

As bad as the Hawkman fig is outta scale, it wouldn't surprise me that the next waves of 13" figures somehow grow and start matching up with the Tonner dolls in height. Then we'll have to start all over again.... @loll@

Is it any wonder that the only thing I buy from DC Direct anymore is the 13" line?

Careful Jase, don't jinx us! @smilepunch@

As bad as the Hawkman fig is outta scale, it wouldn't surprise me that the next waves of 13" figures somehow grow and start matching up with the Tonner dolls in height. Then we'll have to start all over again.... @loll@

Yeah, no kidding! I guess it's just another reason to pick up the Tonners. That way the out of scale 13" DCD figures will fit in. :D

This is the info I've found on 3 different versions of Hawkman

PERSONAL DATA

Occupation: Adventurer, Diplomat, Hawk Avatar and former Thanagarian Wingman

Marital Status: Single

Known Relatives: Paran Katar (father, deceased), Naomi Carter (mother), Paran Arvak (uncle?; presumed deceased)

Group Affiliation: Justice League America

Height: 6'6" (originally); 6'6" (as Hawk Avatar)

Weight: 195 lbs. (originally); 226 lbs. (as Hawk Avatar)

Eyes: Blue (originally); now Hawk-like

Hair: Black

First Appearance: Brave and the Bold #34

Aliases: Carter Hall

Occupation: Former Thanagarian Police Officer, Midway City Museum Currator

Marital Status: Married

Known Relatives: Paran Katar (father, deceased), Shayera Thal (alias Shiera Hall; wife)

Group Affiliation: Justice League of America.

Height: 6'6"

Weight: 226 lbs.

Eyes: Blue

First Appearance: Brave and the Bold #34 (February-March 1961

JSA Hawkman

Occupation: Multimillionaire archaeologist. Chairman of the JSA, Research Scientist, Weapons Collector, Archaeologist

Marital Status: Widower

Known Relatives: Shiera Sanders-Hall (wife), Hector Hall (son), Hippolyta Hall (daughter-in-law), Norda (godson), Daniel Hall (grandson)

Group Affiliation: Justice Society of America, Justice League of America (original), All-Star Squadron

Height: 6' 1"

Weight: 195 lbs.

Hair: Blond

First Appearance: Flash Comics #1 (January 1940)

Hgt wise, he is listed as being no bigger than 6'6 & the JSA Hawkman is 6'1!

That McGuiness Hawkman scale makes him look around 8 freakin ft tall!

Supes is 6'3 so Hawkman's got 3 inches on him hgt wise. Here's a pic of my IC Hawkman next to my JL Superman whom I use as a measuring stick scale wise when choosing other DC figures.

the IC Hawkman is perfect as he is taller than Supes , but not by much.

hawkmansuperman.jpg

This is just a joke! Once again, great job on the scale, DCDirect!

HawkmanSuperman.jpg

This is the info I've found on 3 different versions of Hawkman

PERSONAL DATA

Occupation: Adventurer, Diplomat, Hawk Avatar and former Thanagarian Wingman

Marital Status: Single

Known Relatives: Paran Katar (father, deceased), Naomi Carter (mother), Paran Arvak (uncle?; presumed deceased)

Group Affiliation: Justice League America

Height: 6'6" (originally); 6'6" (as Hawk Avatar)

Weight: 195 lbs. (originally); 226 lbs. (as Hawk Avatar)

Eyes: Blue (originally); now Hawk-like

First Appearance: Brave and the Bold #34

Aliases: Carter Hall

Occupation: Former Thanagarian Police Officer, Midway City Museum Currator

Marital Status: Married

Known Relatives: Paran Katar (father, deceased), Shayera Thal (alias Shiera Hall; wife)

Group Affiliation: Justice League of America.

Height: 6'6"

Weight: 226 lbs.

First Appearance: Brave and the Bold #34 (February-March 1961

JSA Hawkman

Occupation: Multimillionaire archaeologist. Chairman of the JSA, Research Scientist, Weapons Collector, Archaeologist

Marital Status: Widower

Known Relatives: Shiera Sanders-Hall (wife), Hector Hall (son), Hippolyta Hall (daughter-in-law), Norda (godson), Daniel Hall (grandson)

Group Affiliation: Justice Society of America, Justice League of America (original), All-Star Squadron

Height: 6' 1"

Weight: 195 lbs.

Hair: Blond

First Appearance: Flash Comics #1 (January 1940)

Hgt wise, he is listed as being no bigger than 6'6 & the JSA Hawkman is 6'1!

That McGuiness Hawkman scale makes him look around 8 freakin ft tall!

Supes is 6'3 so Hawkman's got 3 inches on him hgt wise. Here's a pic of my IC Hawkman next to my JL Superman whom I use as a measuring stick scale wise when choosing other DC figures.

the IC Hawkman is perfect as he is taller than Supes , but not by much.

hawkmansuperman.jpg

This is just a joke! Once again, great job on the scale, DCDirect!

HawkmanSuperman.jpg

I've seen superman listed as anywhere from 6' to 6'6", and his hight is drawn to be all over the place. Hawkman is supposed to be a big dude. He is usually drawn to be huge compaired to everyone else. I can agree that he could have been a bit shorter, but I like that he is huge, like he is supposed to be.

DCDirect does have some scale issues, but every toy line has scale issues. Look at the eight foot tall Bishop in Marvel Legends and the several examples of Iron Man (a man in armor) being the same size or smaller than most of the other figures. Look at GI Joe where every figure is exactly the same size. Look at Transformers where Blaster is taller than combiners in G1 and where Armorhide, a semi truck, is the same size as a motorcycle and smaller than a sportscar.

That Hawkman is an awesome figure! He looks great standing next to Steel from the same line. Do I wish he was scaled better? Yes, but that didn't stop me from buying him.

post-4952-1172774307_thumb.jpg

There is a pic from Superman/Batman #4, Hawkman and Captain Marvel standing side by side. There are other pics of the Hawk but he isn't protrayed as big as the figure is in the actual story.

I personally like the sculpt of the figure. On its own it is one of the most impressive figures I own. It is a nice figure but it just towers over every other McGuinness figure I have which sucks cause I love his art and the stories the figures are based from. It was the best way to get the JLA and other characters all in one style and in scale but now Hawkman just stands out no matter where I put him. I look at the nightwing I bought from this wave and despite him being based on a certain style of art he can still fit in with my other DC Direct figures when displayed. I was even gonna display him with my modern JSA figs but he still just towers over all. Hawkman is even to big for his base! I'll take more pictures of the wave as a whole. I might be getting future supes and lex today.

ah, okay...so he's not as big as the figure...

If I didn't have my Alex ross hawkman, I would get this one... the scale wouldn't bother me...

and dc direct fan, don't look at him as out of scale... you're impressed with himn and think that he's one of the best, so look at it as a focal point for the McGuinness figures. everyone will see him first.