Master Collector has pics of New 25th Ann. Figures

ARBCO

Ya'all know I did take the time to create this little comparison shot of the artwork of Flint and the new figure of him...

(idea stolen from Leo) ;)

flint2jd3.png

and after much belly-achin' over the Duke body thing (which is STILL chinsy) I gave some kudos on how well it match up...for the most part.

I ain't all piss & moan dammit!

A little vinegar goes a loooooong way VH! @smilepunch@ I really like those comparison pics with the figure and art!

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda wish Habro had taken the "25th Anniversary" literally and done only the first year Joes, like Breaker, Grunt and so on. Then in 2008, do the next wave, which would be celebrating their 25th Anniversary. I know they want to use up their big names to spike initial sales, but I'm just saying it would have been nice to see the old line re-released in the same order they originally came out. I'm just hoping we eventually get some of those first year guys. Maybe even do a special boxset of them, since they all look so similar.

Maybe I'll be in the minority here, but I do not like most of the first year joes. They are just so plain and boring to me. Talk about reusing the same figures. If they released that set, then they would all have the same body again with a few exceptions. I prefer the route they're going right now. 82 was just a bore to me. I didn't think the characters were that exciting (with a few exceptions), and they all looked like a bunch of greenshirts to me.

I kinda wish Habro had taken the "25th Anniversary" literally and done only the first year Joes, like Breaker, Grunt and so on. Then in 2008, do the next wave, which would be celebrating their 25th Anniversary. I know they want to use up their big names to spike initial sales, but I'm just saying it would have been nice to see the old line re-released in the same order they originally came out. I'm just hoping we eventually get some of those first year guys. Maybe even do a special boxset of them, since they all look so similar.

Maybe I'll be in the minority here, but I do not like most of the first year joes. They are just so plain and boring to me. Talk about reusing the same figures. If they released that set, then they would all have the same body again with a few exceptions. I prefer the route they're going right now. 82 was just a bore to me. I didn't think the characters were that exciting (with a few exceptions), and they all looked like a bunch of greenshirts to me.

While I might agree with you now, you could NEVER have convinced me of that back in 1982 when I was 11 years old! I'm really anxious to see these new figures in person!

They all look GREAT !!

I hope they hold up well.

I was hoping "4 inches" would be just the typical "generalization" some use when talking about 3 3/4. @grumpy@

ARBCO was right all the way.

While many of us will be getting these... I predict a grim future for the line. While some will not care about the scale, most will... and this will be critical in the long run. Most collectors, especially those who open their toys, will want these new figures to be in scale with the 1000's of figs and vehicles they already own. And, as Windu just said, these are geared towards collectors. Yes, kids will buy them too... but most of these characters, even if known to them, will be sporting their classic outfits. In other words, the primary target are all who grew up with these designs. And these costumers are the ones who will not tolerate a change in scale.

Remember Sgt. Savage, Hasbro! As cool as those figures were.

THANKS for the props Gentleman!!! Even though I am new here and some doubted my info, it IS 100% accurate. However, the figure I have measures in at 4.25" so that is even bigger, I think Scarlett & Baroness will measure in at the 4" mark with the others being bigger. I have no problem lengthening the appendages for a more realistic look, but they could have SCALED the figures down to still be 3.75". While I am a little disappointed with the size (at present) All and all these are great figures and do NOT worry about the quality. These are being made out of excellent strong plastic and the joints do NOT pop out like the Marvel Showdown figures. Despite what some may think, Hasbro has done a fantastic job on these and I think most of the doubters will be happy once they are released

Such a shame.

THANKS for the props Gentleman!!! Even though I am new here and some doubted my info, it IS 100% accurate. However, the figure I have measures in at 4.25" so that is even bigger, I think Scarlett & Baroness will measure in at the 4" mark with the others being bigger. I have no problem lengthening the appendages for a more realistic look, but they could have SCALED the figures down to still be 3.75". While I am a little disappointed with the size (at present) All and all these are great figures and do NOT worry about the quality. These are being made out of excellent strong plastic and the joints do NOT pop out like the Marvel Showdown figures. Despite what some may think, Hasbro has done a fantastic job on these and I think most of the doubters will be happy once they are released.

I was hoping "4 inches" would be just the typical "generalization" some use when talking about 3 3/4. @grumpy@

ARBCO was right all the way.

While many of us will be getting these... I predict a grim future for the line. While some will not care about the scale, most will... and this will be critical in the long run. Most collectors, especially those who open their toys, will want these new figures to be in scale with the 1000's of figs and vehicles they already own. And, as Windu just said, these are geared towards collectors. Yes, kids will buy them too... but most of these characters, even if known to them, will be sporting their classic outfits. In other words, the primary target are all who grew up with these designs. And these costumers are the ones who will not tolerate a change in scale.

Remember Sgt. Savage, Hasbro! As cool as those figures were.

Such a shame.

The reality is that so far these figures are measuring in bigger than anything I have been able to find from GvsC, SpyTroops or VvsV. I am still hoping for shrinkage in the final product.....time will tell.....

ARBCO

I'd agree with you as well, so not too much a minority. ^_^

I thought the new Joes (talking about in 1982) were a travesty, as I grew up with the 12" Joes and couldn't believe what they had done to them.....THEN!

As the line evolved and more orginal molds, and characters, with their OWN idenity and LOOK started showing up (Duke and his grin, Mutt and his scar and scowl, Flint and his cocky smirk even the Fridges goofy toothless grin) I started to get more interested in them.

They had personality and filecards to boot!

In '82 you had 3 or 4 heads and 3 or 4 bodies that made up the entire lineup and to this day, I use those original figures as more of a early greenshirt type unit. I wouldn't want a repeat of that practice, certainly not NOW, with all the potential and features.

The years following '82 brought in the best of the bunch, as far as some great characters and unique figures from each other. These new Joes lack some of that charm (scowls, grins and smirks) and are all kinda flat and expressionless.

They're suppose to be little army men for kids, but the adult invasion has made them a little stale and lifeless, like military statues.

Ya'all know I did take the time to create this little comparison shot of the artwork of Flint and the new figure of him...

(idea stolen from Leo) ;)

flint2jd3.png

and after much belly-achin' over the Duke body thing (which is STILL chinsy) I gave some kudos on how well it match up...for the most part.

I ain't all piss & moan dammit!

INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY THIEF!!!! ;)

Yeah, I'm waiting for some official pics so that I can make a few more comparison shots for the gallery. I agree that the bodies are just generic enough w/o any web gear that this kind of reuse is NOT a bad thing. It allows Hasbro to save a few $$$ which just might mean an additional character or two down the road-- and that is NEVER a bad thing.

Now, why aren't these figures sitting on my desk already?!!!

I am still hoping for shrinkage in the final product.....time will tell.....

Well, my Scarlett, Lady Jaye, Cover Girl, Baroness, Jinx, Bombstrike, and Zarana figures sure aren't!

*rimshot*

G'night folks, you've been a wonderful audience!

I'd agree with you as well, so not too much a minority. ^_^

I thought the new Joes (talking about in 1982) were a travesty, as I grew up with the 12" Joes and couldn't believe what they had done to them.....THEN!

As the line evolved and more orginal molds, and characters, with their OWN idenity and LOOK started showing up (Duke and his grin, Mutt and his scar and scowl, Flint and his cocky smirk even the Fridges goofy toothless grin) I started to get more interested in them.

They had personality and filecards to boot!

In '82 you had 3 or 4 heads and 3 or 4 bodies that made up the entire lineup and to this day, I use those original figures as more of a early greenshirt type unit. I wouldn't want a repeat of that practice, certainly not NOW, with all the potential and features.

The years following '82 brought in the best of the bunch, as far as some great characters and unique figures from each other. These new Joes lack some of that charm (scowls, grins and smirks) and are all kinda flat and expressionless.

They're suppose to be little army men for kids, but the adult invasion has made them a little stale and lifeless, like military statues.

25th_anniversarycivilwar.jpg

@loll@

it is the 25th Anniversary of the entire line which encompasses all subsequent years of RAH. the line itself is 1 large line of figures, the release dates at some point become arbitrary. the purpose of the Anniversary line is to celebrate the entire line of figures and characters not a time frame of figure releases.

25th_anniversarycivilwar.jpg

thumbup.gif

I am still hoping for shrinkage in the final product.....time will tell.....

Well, my Scarlett, Lady Jaye, Cover Girl, Baroness, Jinx, Bombstrike, and Zarana figures sure aren't!

*rimshot*

G'night folks, you've been a wonderful audience!

clapping.GIF

And I thought I had a dirty mind! ;)

INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY THIEF!!!!

immitation is the highest form of compliment? ;)

I agree that the bodies are just generic enough w/o any web gear that this kind of reuse is NOT a bad thing. It allows Hasbro to save a few $$$ which just might mean an additional character or two down the road-- and that is NEVER a bad thing.

Only if they actually use that saved $$$ to make MORE. Last time they skimped and try to trim costs on the little Joes, they turned around and used it to make SIGMA SIX! @cussing@

#US1#

This has become quite the hot topic

I don't think it's nit-picking to say that it would have been nice for Hasbro to extend the level of quality presented in the first 10 figures throughout all 25...I know that from the moment I saw the first few, I was thinking "hmm, where's that hottie in the black beret?"

Certainly, Flint, Lady Jaye, and maybe Hawk are just a cut below Snakes, Stormy, Scarlett, Duke as far as being the most recognizable Joes, and as such it's not really asking that much for them to give him an original body, or at the very least original sculpts for the pieces that don't match the original card art (like his arms).

I understand the need to keep costs down, etc, especially with the retro quality of the line mostly appealing to collectors not kids, but can't they save the re-hashes for the countless versions of SE, SS, and CC that are sure to follow? At this point I hope Lady Jaye's not just a creative repaint of Scarlett, that would really dampen my enthusiasm. -_-

Yo ARBCO - You never revealed who your sample was, right? The one you own. That would be interesting to know, considering you said he's VERY tall.

Regarding scale: It can be deduced from this very topic that many will be having an issue about it (if they won't stick to 3 3/4). While it's true that some of the later joes were closer to 4'', I get the feeling the 25th anniversary figs are gonna be even taller. I will still buy them (even if the change in scale bothers me), but many will refrain from spending on these. In the long run, it's bad for both collectors and Hasbro.

I agree about 82's joes. It would be a terrible choice for Hasbro to start the 25th ann. with 'em. As much as they were the first, they were also on the boring side. The following years... that's when things got interesting and that's where the iconic versions came to play.

And yeah, it's become quite a hot topic... with lots of drama too!

if you are a kid who hasn't been previously exposed to the line, maybe the size difference won't matter. Same as if you use these as stand alone figures. I mean, if these end up being a lot superior than anything hasbro offered it might make collecting some of the older stuff redundant for some collectors

I don't think it's nit-picking to say that it would have been nice for Hasbro to extend the level of quality presented in the first 10 figures throughout all 25...

THANK YOU..THANK YOU...THANK YOU!!

@yipee@ @yipee@ @yipee@

Undoubtedly...I have a more HARSH way of trying to get to the same point. I crush the feelings of sensitive fans, yet 9 times out of TEN, I'm merely following the consensus of some other members, making the same observations.

I know that from the moment I saw the first few, I was thinking "hmm, where's that hottie in the black beret?"

@hmmm@ wellllll..I wasn't thinking quite like THAT, but I was anxious to see what they would do for Flint, seeing how he and Gung Ho are a couple of personal favorites. I like the Gung Ho ok, but I kinda ZERO'd in on his boots and that's all I harped on and nit picked about. I caught hell.

Flint came up in discussion, and without seeing him yet, I was to understand the Duke body was being used for him, and I was greatly disappointed that this was going to be the case, and it was, and I ranted about it. I caught hell!

I'm not IMPOSSIBLE to please, but just coming off the hiatus, then Sigma Six....I guess I can see where I've been pretty negative and grumpy and not shedding the skeptical, with folded arms, routine with Hasbro's offerings. They have to come up BIG, so I'm picking at'em still.

@firedevil@

Well....I really don't want to outright say who I have...but I can say he is (light) blue with black, red, bronze and silver and has the initials CC. IF there is going to be a scale the line I would have then considered him to be a medium/middle sized figure. He measures at 4.25" which is too tall for me. Again I am hoping for shrinkage in production.

If Hasbro's argument for the size is due to their lengthening their appendages, then they should have scaled the figures to still fit within the 3.75" criteria. The figures have great proportions...much better than the more recent previous releases, but they should still be 3.75".

As far as quality, they are as good if not better constucted than the Star Wars figures. Very solid, sturdy, very high quality plastic and paint. They are going all out with the materials. They are NOT like the Marvel Superhero Showdown, they do NOT fall apart, pop apart, and the joints are NOT loose...etc.

On an interesting note that no one seems to have mentioned neither Cobra Commander has the stripe on the side of his pants....it will be interesting to see if this is added at a later in production.

ARBCO

For me, personally, the scale difference wouldn't matter, I'm with whoever said that they're just interested in putting these new figures up on a shelf somewhere to look pretty. I certainly don't have any of the old figures around to compare them to....I'm pretty sure all of them are sitting in a box in my brother's basement somewhere.

I do think that in some ways me (and people like me) are part of Hasbro's targeted demographic for this line...I hadn't thought about G.I. Joe since i was like 10 or so, then I saw the 25th display while I was working at Toyfair, I totally flipped out and embarrassed my boyfriend, naming all the characters, etc.

If Hasbro is shooting for people who'd forgotten how cool the characters were and are on a nostalgia trip, then I could see them not caring so much about relative scale and fitting in with the old lines.

True, the stripes are gone. Instead, they went to his gloves!

If that's who you got and he's that tall... then others like Destro or Roadblock would probably be even bigger. BUT something tells me they'll shrink em when mass-produced. If so, then your sample will be quite the thing as far as prototypes and samples go.

Another Hasbro line that was similar in scale to Sgt. Savage: The Visionaries!

BTW - Can he sit? I remember Sgt. Savage figs couldn't really sit, and these new molds seem to be similar to them in the crotch area.

BTW 2 - now that you've revealed what you've got, be ready for the shitload of pic requests from everyone :P

Does anyone REALLY think that Hasbro has "the kids" in mind anymore with this stuff?

Usually these anniversary offers and sets are more geared and aimed at the adult collectors, and I certainly think this coming set of 4" ARAH lookin' G.I.Joe is just that...for the adults.

Just the same on the 12" stuff..

3137828fd7a0387eea95f010.L.jpg

Do you think Hasbro whipped this kind of thing together with kids in mind..or adult collectors?

Yes, you are right about the gloves and the striping on them. They may not add the leg striping. He can sit perfectly fine and has great articulation. His head is two parts: the head and the helmet (which is glued on). The mask is a pearlized silver and has a very unique sheen to it...very cool. His articulation is a little different than the others, but his doesn't lose anything because of it. His articulation makes sense.

If he is measuring in at 4.25", I would estimate Destro and Roadblock at 4.50"-4.75" right now....again I am hoping to see 3.75"-4.00" respectively, but I don't think that will happen....