Master Collector has pics of New 25th Ann. Figures

ARBCO

I don't really get why every one is so up in arms about the size of these. 3 3/4" VS. 4". I can see how this might bother you if you planned to mix the lines but I guess I don't see how you could even remotly begin to mix these 25th anniversery figures with ANY thing that came before them. They are not any where remotely similar to any other Joe figures. I think that part is pretty evident. To me it would be like mixing S6 and RAH. So to me, I can't see why it matters that they may be out of scale with other Joes. Even if they WERE the exact same size, how could you put them next to each other on the shelf anyway. They are totally seperate lines (to me).

SOmething else that may need to be considered is, regardless of how the compare in looks to the older Joes, the new scuplts have seemed to get a tad larger over the last year or 2 and before the announcement of the 25th Ann. line we did get a 4" Major Barrage figure and his character seems to generally be accepted, and yes I know Barrage is supposed to be a larger character but shouldn't roadblock and possibly Gung-Ho be that size as well? Needless to say I don't necessarily think the size will be an issue even though I'm still hoping that they will be shrunk down some for production

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot about this pic I took, it's of a Marvel Legends Showdown figure I turned into a Snakeeyes... kinda show's you if they are bigger, about how bigger they will actually be ;)

msnake007.jpg

lol... he actually goes well with this Scarlett...

msnake006.jpg

SO far I've found little to be mad at with these figures. These figures are superb in my opinion, and the flaws that I've found are so minor that I can't complain anymore then I have with previous figures. I also hope that this 4", or 4.25" which ever it is, size issue is resolved and we get figs that are closer to 3.75" and

can blend in with all my current stock of figures. I'm glad Hasbro is atleast putting a great deal of effort into the accesories even if they are already

reusing mold, but even this I don't have a problem with. I'm really hoping that the list we got earlier was correct and that we do get to see more pics soon.

anybody want to speculate whos left in the line up?

Well we know the following:

1. SE

2. Scarlett

3. Roadblock

4. Gung Ho

5. Duke

6. Destro

7. Baroness

8. Cobra Commander

9. Storm Shadow

10. Cobra soldier

11. Flint

12. SE V2

13. Storm Shadow V2

14. Cobra Officer

15. Cobra Commander V2

According to someones Toys R Us list that someone mentioned on the DD website

16. Buzzer

17. Serpentor

18. Lady Jaye

19. Buzzer

I would guess that these would have to be included

20. Hawk

21. Stalker

22. Firefly

23. Major bludd

24. Zartan

Which leaves us with # 25

Remember hasbro says its the 25 most POPULAR FIGURES

I might guess Spirit, Jinx, falcon, shockwave, but again it depends on whom people feel are the most POPULAR

Maybe I should just give up trying to state my opinion in an educated manor. It seems that if anyone says anything bad about this line they get blasted by everyone else. And even though some of us have put up decent reasons as to why we are not 100% pleased with this line, and might sceptical of what's to come, we're told our opinion doesn't matter because these figures are 'flawless', and 'I don't see how anyone could not love these.'

Those that have complained have not tried to 'convert' anyone to their style of thinking. They've simply stated their opinion, as have I. Most of us that have complained have also said that they find some things good about the line, and that they reserve the right to final judgement until we've seen the final product. But, that's not good enough. We again get blasted because we have the nerve to say something critical.

So, I haven't bowed down to the awesomeness that is Hasbro. I haven't decided to name my next kid Hasbro to show my gratitude for them even making the 25th line in the first place. And, I'm only likely to buy about half of what's been shown so far based on the pics we've seen. So, if the line fails, feel free to blame me. Yup, me. One collector with an opinion will kill this line, and you can all hate me for it later.

But, from here on out, maybe I should just keep my mouth shut to keep all the 25th worshipers from rioting.

complain away. but just as you are entitled to voice your dislike, it isn't unreasonable to have your positions debated as well as long as it is done in a reasonable manner. if I see a flaw in someones position, I am going to call them on it. but someone who is just criticizing you, not your position, for not liking the new figures isn't any better than someone who is criticizing the figures for trivial things that appear to be just for the sake of criticizing.

your position is open to criticism, you are not. but if you are willing to voice your position, you should also be willing to defend it.

What I am interested in, is I understand there are people that might not like these figures and that is fine, but I am interested in is why they don't think these are some of the best work hasbro has done, like them or hate them. These figures seem to me way better than pretty much all the past releases, even with some flaws. I think the kids will love them, as they look like they belong on the same rack as the marvel legends figures

What I am interested in, is I understand there are people that might not like these figures and that is fine, but I am interested in is why they don't think these are some of the best work hasbro has done, like them or hate them. These figures seem to me way better than pretty much all the past releases, even with some flaws. I think the kids will love them, as they look like they belong on the same rack as the marvel legends figures

While I'm not 100% sold on these being the best thing since sliced bread, I do acknowledge that they are some of Hasbro's best work. I like these far more than Hasbro's latest offerings in the Marvel Legends line (which are OK, too, in their own right).

nobody is obligated to like them. the style is different and being better than anything Hasbro has done is debatable. yes, sculpting is better than RAH figures, but it appears RAH figures have better proportions. yes they have better articulation, but at the expense of much more visible joints that distract from their overall appearance. whether they are better than past figures is a matter of opinion, not a fact because it is subjective. prefering the better qualities and flaws of RAH over the better qualities and flaws of these figures does not mean someone is wrong because they do so, which believing the new figures are better absolutely would entail.

the problem are arguments such as not liking them because they don't have an o-ring and a Joe can't be a G.I. Joe without one. that is a flawed position because G.I. Joe has a history of no o-rings. even Deep-Six lacks an o-ring so that one quality does not define a G.I. Joe, simply a preference. those are the positions that are debatable, not whether someone believes they are better or not.

complain away. but just as you are entitled to voice your dislike, it isn't unreasonable to have your positions debated as well as long as it is done in a reasonable manner. if I see a flaw in someones position, I am going to call them on it. but someone who is just criticizing you, not your position, for not liking the new figures isn't any better than someone who is criticizing the figures for trivial things that appear to be just for the sake of criticizing.

your position is open to criticism, you are not. but if you are willing to voice your position, you should also be willing to defend it.

That is good to hear.

My main gripe about these figures is the overall look of them. I, for one, have not been a huge fan of the ML style action figure. I certainly didn't think it carried over very well into 4" format with SHS (with the exceptions being the larger characters). I think these figures look overly lanky. Not all of them, but some do look a bit off to me. They make them look unnatural. I know RAH wasn't 100% anatomically correct. And I also know that the new sculpts had huge proportion issues. I don't like all the figures from those lines either.

While I do admit that this is a great step forward for GI Joe, there are still some questions that will bother me until I can see one of these figures up close and personal. Here are my concerns in no particular order:

1) Will all this added articulation hinder the figure? By this I mean can the figures even stand up straight? Or do all these extra hinges in the knees and such make that more difficult? Will all the hinges and pins make the figure look unnatural? I for one think it does for Marvel Legends.

2) Are they going to be 3.75" for sure? This is a big issue to me. I know we've had larger than normal figures already, but I never pictured Storm Shadow towering over anyone. I would probably intermix these with my other figures if the final production version come across looking more like over articulated new sculpts. I'd also like to possible use these in some of the vehicles I've already bought. Especially if there are no current plans for any new vehicles any time soon.

3) Will the pins that we see in the figures now be removed before the final product hits shelves? This is a pretty big one for me. This is the direction Hasbro was heading with the new sculpts, and it would seem pretty stupid to go backwards. But, a lot of the Marvel Legend figures from Hasbro seem to have visible pins, and that is why I am worried.

4) The lack of O-ring. Some say it's great that they are leaving the O-ring. Me, I'm not so convinced. To me, the figures all seem to have an oversized crotch piece (insert your own joke here). The legs also seem to protrude unnaturally from this crotch piece. The don't seem to fit as snug as with the O-ring.

5) Really a minor gripe here, but the lack of a back screw. Is this for sure? Or is this only in the prototypes? Because if it is becoming the norm, then that seems to limit the figure in a few ways. Back packs now will HAVE to be ones with actual straps in order to be worn. That could turn into a good thing if done correctly. And I hope it does. Next, without a back screw, customization is going to take a hit. At least for those of us that aren't as skilled as the top guys. I'm sure we'll all eventually figure a way around it, so that's why I said the back screw was a minor gripe.

These are just some of my concerns based on my own personal opinions on how I would expect the figures to look and play.

SO far I've found little to be mad at with these figures. These figures are superb in my opinion, and the flaws that I've found are so minor that I can't complain anymore then I have with previous figures. I also hope that this 4", or 4.25" which ever it is, size issue is resolved and we get figs that are closer to 3.75" and

can blend in with all my current stock of figures. I'm glad Hasbro is atleast putting a great deal of effort into the accesories even if they are already

reusing mold, but even this I don't have a problem with. I'm really hoping that the list we got earlier was correct and that we do get to see more pics soon.

1. SE

2. Scarlett

3. Roadblock

4. Gung Ho

5. Duke

6. Destro

7. Baroness

8. Cobra Commander

9. Storm Shadow

10. Cobra soldier

11. Flint

12. SE V2

13. Storm Shadow V2

14. Cobra Officer

15. Cobra Commander V2

16. Buzzer

17. Serpentor

18. Lady Jaye

19. Buzzer

20. Hawk

21. Stalker

22. Firefly

23. Major bludd

24. Zartan

I might guess Spirit, Jinx, falcon, shockwave, but again it depends on whom people feel are the most POPULAR

You have 2 buzzers on your list....

and no way is shockwave one of the most popular joes...

1. SE

2. Scarlett

3. Roadblock

4. Gung Ho

5. Duke

6. Destro

7. Baroness

8. Cobra Commander

9. Storm Shadow

10. Cobra soldier

11. Flint

12. SE V2

13. Storm Shadow V2

14. Cobra Officer

15. Cobra Commander V2

16. Buzzer

17. Serpentor

18. Lady Jaye

19. Beachhead

20. Hawk

21. Stalker

22. Firefly

23. Major bludd

24. Zartan

You have 2 buzzers on your list....

and no way is shockwave one of the most popular joes...

ooops it should have said beachhead. Yeah, I wouldn't go with shockwave, just threw it out there. I think spirit might be the front runner, but who knows.

nobody is obligated to like them. the style is different and being better than anything Hasbro has done is debatable. yes, sculpting is better than RAH figures, but it appears RAH figures have better proportions. yes they have better articulation, but at the expense of much more visible joints that distract from their overall appearance. whether they are better than past figures is a matter of opinion, not a fact because it is subjective. prefering the better qualities and flaws of RAH over the better qualities and flaws of these figures does not mean someone is wrong because they do so, which believing the new figures are better absolutely would entail.

the problem are arguments such as not liking them because they don't have an o-ring and a Joe can't be a G.I. Joe without one. that is a flawed position because G.I. Joe has a history of no o-rings. even Deep-Six lacks an o-ring so that one quality does not define a G.I. Joe, simply a preference. those are the positions that are debatable, not whether someone believes they are better or not.

your right, no one is obligated to like them. I jsut wanted to hear some opinions which is great. For me I put a lot of emphasis on sculpting, style and the overall look, where I am not so worried about scale, and articulation issues. Maybe, I should be, and I also agree that it is subjective and no figure hasbro does is ever going to be perfect. I guess the amount of posts on this topic, and the amount of newbies joining this site, shows there is a lot of interest in this line. It also seems that there is more interest in this line, than some of the past stuff, but I could be wrong

I think for me my sensitivity about gi joe stems from being a collector and enjoyer of the toys for more then 25years and in that time I have seen my favorite toyline go from classic to spectucular, to so-so, to down right terrible, to cancelled, to brought back, to terrible then back to good to great to just about where it was and back to semi-cancelled.

So if we who criticize are sensitive and judgemental it may have something to do with the roller coaster ride that is our hobby. Sometimes Hasbro shows a patent lack of respect for those who gave GI Joe ( in its 3 3/4" form ) it legs as a brand and toy. Sometimes Hasbro dazzles us with unique and forward thinking concepts that still capture the magic of the classic series.

But it is because of our love for the line, not in spite of it, that we are critical, sometimes to a fault.

But in the end, we judge with our checking accounts, and as for me, my checking account gets smaller each time Hasbro releases ANYTHING GI Joe related. So, I guess its ok to gripe and moan and nitpick, afterall, its my money.

Whoa, gscbr... I wasn't trying to reason with anyone. I simply saw that after 15 pages, no one had put forth that particular take on the figures. It helped me go from vowing to only stick with my RAH's, to actually loving most of these. I love hearing everyone's view and seeing it get picked apart. Eventually one begins to see whether it has any validity. I was simply hoping to add a previously unspoken view to be dissected by both sides. I hate that it struck you that way, and I am sorry that it came across that way. I hoped to make the lovers love them more, and the haters to hate them more. And Crimson Twins, you don't need to go anywhere for the same reason. Your opinion is needed. If we only wanted to hear love sonnets for these figures, then we'd stay out of the forums and stick with Hasbro's press releases. And I do agree, emotion should be kept out of it... It only hurts your arguement. Both sides, keep it up. You're both appreciated.

To further elaborate on my nonsensical ramblings; I was up in the air about these originally. I didn't understand why I was excited about the 25th anniversay premise, but then wasn't when I saw the pics. It wasn't like the 80's versions were 100% perfect in my eyes (even though I never played with or collected anything else). So, I came here, and with the help of posts by people such as Viper Hunter, who actually back up there opinions with reasons as to why those opinions exist, I was able to find out whether I agreed or disagreed for the same reasons. The two sides helped me flesh out my own opinions without emotional entanglement. Thanks again.

and thanks to Omega Trion, Gentleman, and GeneralZod for your comments.

Whoa, gscbr... I wasn't trying to reason with anyone. I simply saw that after 15 pages, no one had put forth that particular take on the figures. It helped me go from vowing to only stick with my RAH's, to actually loving most of these. I love hearing everyone's view and seeing it get picked apart. Eventually one begins to see whether it has any validity. I was simply hoping to add a previously unspoken view to be dissected by both sides. I hate that it struck you that way, and I am sorry that it came across that way. I hoped to make the lovers love them more, and the haters to hate them more. And Crimson Twins, you don't need to go anywhere for the same reason. Your opinion is needed. If we only wanted to hear love sonnets for these figures, then we'd stay out of the forums and stick with Hasbro's press releases. And I do agree, emotion should be kept out of it... It only hurts your arguement. Both sides, keep it up. You're both appreciated.

To further elaborate on my nonsensical ramblings; I was up in the air about these originally. I didn't understand why I was excited about the 25th anniversay premise, but then wasn't when I saw the pics. It wasn't like the 80's versions were 100% perfect in my eyes (even though I never played with or collected anything else). So, I came here, and with the help of posts by people such as Viper Hunter, who actually back up there opinions with reasons as to why those opinions exist, I was able to find out whether I agreed or disagreed for the same reasons. The two sides helped me flesh out my own opinions without emotional entanglement. Thanks again.

and thanks to Omega Trion, Gentleman, and GeneralZod for your comments.

I was being sarcastic. my point was that your post was well reasoned and thought out, which will undoubtedly only infuriate some who only make decisions on emotion. but you know someone is going to use what you said, as valid as it is, as another reason to dislike the line. "sharing parts is bad enough, but designing parts for the purpose to match two different characters without replicating the exact details of neither is an even bigger slap in the face to us!" you know that one is coming, which is what is sad.

I was being sarcastic. my point was that your post was well reasoned and thought out, which will undoubtedly only infuriate some who only make decisions on emotion. but you know someone is going to use what you said, as valid as it is, as another reason to dislike the line. "sharing parts is bad enough, but designing parts for the purpose to match two different characters without replicating the exact details of neither is an even bigger slap in the face to us!" you know that one is coming, which is what is sad.

Gotcha. Just didn't want to tick anyone off. Thanks for taking the time to clear that up.

Knowing hasbro we'll get 10 more versions of Snakeeyes

@loll@ @loll@ @loll@ @loll@

That's my guess. I do expect at least one more Duke in there, and maybe one more Cobra Commander. Hasbro just couldn't help themselves to do mutliples of the same character. Kinda sad.

Still no news or even rumors on what vehicles we can expect?

Maybe I should just give up trying to state my opinion in an educated manor. It seems that if anyone says anything bad about this line they get blasted by everyone else. And even though some of us have put up decent reasons as to why we are not 100% pleased with this line, and might sceptical of what's to come, we're told our opinion doesn't matter because these figures are 'flawless', and 'I don't see how anyone could not love these.'

Those that have complained have not tried to 'convert' anyone to their style of thinking. They've simply stated their opinion, as have I. Most of us that have complained have also said that they find some things good about the line, and that they reserve the right to final judgement until we've seen the final product. But, that's not good enough. We again get blasted because we have the nerve to say something critical.

So, I haven't bowed down to the awesomeness that is Hasbro. I haven't decided to name my next kid Hasbro to show my gratitude for them even making the 25th line in the first place. And, I'm only likely to buy about half of what's been shown so far based on the pics we've seen. So, if the line fails, feel free to blame me. Yup, me. One collector with an opinion will kill this line, and you can all hate me for it later.

But, from here on out, maybe I should just keep my mouth shut to keep all the 25th worshipers from rioting.

I've generated enough hate mail for my same sentiments, from regulars and newbies, that my time here at TNI has now been threatened, so with that disturbing revelation, I'm afraid I'm soon to be a self tempered voice from the Joe community or a FORCED one. :(

Well not that big, unless you're Big Boa!! But give em a bit of muscle, hell the old figure had nice sized arms!! He was buff!! Of course not as buff Steamroller!! That guy was a tough guy!! :D

More like this?...

photo_12.jpg

Good god that guy is hot... I'm going to join the Marines right now...

@loll@ @loll@

Ya'all know I did take the time to create this little comparison shot of the artwork of Flint and the new figure of him...

(idea stolen from Leo) ;)

flint2jd3.png

I like the comparison there but would you do the same thing with the V1 figure. The card art and cartoon art for that matter were always more dynamic than the actual figures. Hand drawn artwork has the advantage of not having to include points of articulation. I just wonder if the V1 figure stands up to the same levels of critique you gave the 25th figure. When I look at the V1 I see similarities with the card art but I don't see a duplicate of it. The same way with the 25th, I see a very good representation but its not a duplicate.

I think maybe, you missed my intent here.

I did this comparison thing above, to reflect on a positive towards the new figure, after I was being pretty critical on it, as after looking at the two side by side like this, I thought it matched up pretty well. The idea seem to be that Hasbro was doing a really GOOD job on matching these 25th anniversary figures up with the original versions and to the card art as well, and I was making this comparison to show that DESPITE my disappointment in the Duke body being used for one of MY personal favorites (Flint) it still looked ok. I STILL don't like the reused Duke body deal, but it ain't (as somebody else stated) a "deal breaker".

Ya'all know I did take the time to create this little comparison shot of the artwork of Flint and the new figure of him...

(idea stolen from Leo) ;)

flint2jd3.png

I like the comparison there but would you do the same thing with the V1 figure. The card art and cartoon art for that matter were always more dynamic than the actual figures. Hand drawn artwork has the advantage of not having to include points of articulation. I just wonder if the V1 figure stands up to the same levels of critique you gave the 25th figure. When I look at the V1 I see similarities with the card art but I don't see a duplicate of it. The same way with the 25th, I see a very good representation but its not a duplicate.

I think maybe, you missed my intent here.

I did this comparison thing above, to reflect on a positive towards the new figure, after I was being pretty critical on it, as after looking at the two side by side like this, I thought it matched up pretty well. The idea seem to be that Hasbro was doing a really GOOD job on matching these 25th anniversary figures up with the original versions and to the card art as well, and I was making this comparison to show that DESPITE my disappointment in the Duke body being used for one of MY personal favorites (Flint) it still looked ok. I STILL don't like the reused Duke body deal, but it ain't (as somebody else stated) a "deal breaker".

I'd love to see the art, 25th figure, and original figure all together for comparison - anybody up for the challenge?

I wanna chime in here again, and I have several thoughts on the matter, but I wanted to begin by saying to guys like VH and others who have...issues (lol) with the new figures, please don't shut up! Just like many people have said, it would be very boring around here if we didn't have varying degrees of agreements and/or disagreements. And no, I'm not sucking up to VH. Heck...we've even almost come to blows a time or two over some things. But I've learned to take VH's opinion for just that, his opinion. He's entitled to it, it's America, and by golly, if he wants to gripe about what he doesn't like about the new figures, I say he should be able to without backlash. Why should I get my panties in a bunch because he doesn't like something I do? Doesn't make me like it any less. It ain't hurtin' me none! That goes for everybody. Now obviously I draw the line when it comes to obscenities, downright rudeness and/or personal attacks, but I don't see that around here much anymore. I just see fans disagreeing on various points of interest, and it's fun and interesting to read and respond to.

Having said that, I had indeed thought about voicing my concerns/complaints here in list form, but...ah, why should I? It'll just be the same ones many others have voiced. I probably would have been treading familiar ground anyway. I will say I thoroughly enjoyed syrlandevale's post. (Welcome man!) Very insightful. Makes alot of sense too. But it begs the question; if individual sculpts and molds are so expensive and cost-prohibitive, how in the world did Hasbro do it in the old days? I know they re-used a few parts, especially in that first wave or two, but geeze...go back and look at how many individual figure sculpts they did, let alone all of the individual parts each one had sculpted. Going by their logic, it must've cost them a FORTUNE to do all of those original figures. It sure does make good business sense to re-use as many parts as possible, but sometimes I wonder if these days Hasbro relies too much on the cost-effective excuse of rehashing/repainting to squeeze as much mileage out of each mold for profit's sake at the expense of being truly unique in terms of quality, well-crafted-in-every-sense toys like most of the original line. Do any of you remember having any of the same qualms about the original toys like we all do about the modern ones? I highly doubt it, at least I don't remember having so many issues about them, at least when they were at their peak of excellence. It did bug the heck out of me though when a figure came with a strangely-colored weapon, but back in those days, that was a rare occurence, at least before the mid-'90s...

But going back to what syrlandevane said, I like the theory of combining the iconic characteristics of both the toy and 'toon versions of each character to truly embody what we think a given character should look like. And looking back on the new Gung-Ho after considering that theory, he does look more like his 'toon self than the original toy, which is fine with me because the 'toon version looked a whole lot more like the card art for the character to begin with. Same goes for Scarlett, although she looks to be heavily modeled after the 'toon version, but why not if you're gonna run around in a tan bathing suit over a skin-tight body-glove of a costume anyway? (lol) I never did understand that uniform. Never...

On to multiple versions of given characters. Love the idea, as long as they stick with certain, more iconic variations. I personally love Snake-Eyes. Always have. But my preference for him goes only as far as Version 3. Anything after that was silly to me. I would be thrilled if they indeed did an update of that version. There are many sentimental reasons as to why for me. Just know that I personally loved that version and thought it to be just as cool if not moreso in its own way that the first two.