Master Collector has pics of New 25th Ann. Figures

ARBCO

The face plate isn't removable. The head, which is balljointed, is the faceplate - cast in that pearlized silver plastic. Then the blue helmet is glued on top of that. There is no head underneath the faceplate.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be cool to get rock n roll

Does anyone REALLY think that Hasbro has "the kids" in mind anymore with this stuff?

Usually these anniversary offers and sets are more geared and aimed at the adult collectors, and I certainly think this coming set of 4" ARAH lookin' G.I.Joe is just that...for the adults.

Just the same on the 12" stuff..

3137828fd7a0387eea95f010.L.jpg

Do you think Hasbro whipped this kind of thing together with kids in mind..or adult collectors?

The box says "Ages 5 and up." @smilepunch@

Let's just let this drop please. When these sort of posts continue in a thread after the mods have asked that they stop, it just ends up getting the thread locked. Nobody wants that so let's just move on.

Where is the official list ?

Ya'all know I did take the time to create this little comparison shot of the artwork of Flint and the new figure of him...

(idea stolen from Leo) ;)

flint2jd3.png

and after much belly-achin' over the Duke body thing (which is STILL chinsy) I gave some kudos on how well it match up...for the most part.

I ain't all piss & moan dammit!

I like the comparison there but would you do the same thing with the V1 figure. The card art and cartoon art for that matter were always more dynamic than the actual figures. Hand drawn artwork has the advantage of not having to include points of articulation. I just wonder if the V1 figure stands up to the same levels of critique you gave the 25th figure. When I look at the V1 I see similarities with the card art but I don't see a duplicate of it. The same way with the 25th, I see a very good representation but its not a duplicate.

My feelings on the line as a whole: I love them.

Reusing parts: I was initially worried when I first heard that but after seeing the figures I think they can pull it off to some extent but I do hope they have more than 10 body sculpts to work with.

The height issue: It doesn't bother me as these figures will be displayed seperately from my new sulpt display and my RAH figures(which are boxed up now). I don't plan on ever mixing the three lines.

Durability: This is going to be the deal breaker right here. Durability has always been the big draw of GI Joe for me. The breaking of the thumbs and crotch was fixed with the new plastic of new sculpt guys. The Oring could always be replaced if that snapped. I hate the swivel wrists of new joes cause I know if I was a kid and played with the new joes on a daily basis I would have several guys with nubs due to the hands popping off and being eaten by the vacuum. I hope these 25th figs can withstad playing but I have my worries.

Yeah, back on topic...Like I said earlier, durability is a concern as these guys look close to the famously breakable marvel showdown figures...But with my transformers, gi joes, and star wars figures being in good condition, I'd say hasbro has enough of a good track record to make me buy all the figs immediately without hesitation, and hopefully they'll hold up.

Okay....first off I have NO IDEA why some people are complaining SOOO much about these figures...

THEY....ARE....AWESOME!!!

Someone said in a previous post in this Thread, that the old Joes were cool, but not anymore...I mean...give it up! You've gotta move on! The way Hasbro has designed these new 25th Anniversary figures is just...flawless!

AND also so it seems that the figures will be a tad taller? That's great news! I wish they were all in 6 inch scale myself.

I mean you have these cool characters, who have great articulation, awesome weaponary (which they can actually HOLD so it seems!), great designs, they don't have that stupid 'O-Ring' business....and they are based off the ORIGINAL figures...what the HELL more do you want? I mean really!!! Stop the pissing and moaning men, give yourself a shake! Y'all need Sgt. Slaughter to give you a nice 'Flint face slap' like he did in the movie!

Also will someone please please PLEASE tell me we are getting a damn Sepentor figure...PLEASE!

#US1#

I'm not going to hop in and start on the particulars of arguments, but I do know for certain that if this is a proto, there is a good possibility for about 5% shrinkage when actually manufactured in the correct thermomelt plastic. A sculptor I know who has done industry freelance said that he has to sculpt his protos slightly large for this reason.

Don't get me wrong, I don't KNOW anything in particular, but maybe this will help you guys rest a little easier. BTW, I'm not 100% sold on the Flint head....seems a little high on the neck, and the beret is....bleh. Oh, notice the two tone gloves, and the subtle camo on the pants?

SO far I've found little to be mad at with these figures. These figures are superb in my opinion, and the flaws that I've found are so minor that I can't complain anymore then I have with previous figures. I also hope that this 4", or 4.25" which ever it is, size issue is resolved and we get figs that are closer to 3.75" and

can blend in with all my current stock of figures. I'm glad Hasbro is atleast putting a great deal of effort into the accesories even if they are already

reusing mold, but even this I don't have a problem with. I'm really hoping that the list we got earlier was correct and that we do get to see more pics soon.

anybody want to speculate whos left in the line up?

I am disappointed. I dont collect Joes, but i occasionally buy one or 2 if they look cool or i like their backstory (or 3 Cobra Crimson Night guard 5 packs from TRU, because they were on sale). Flint was always my favorite, and im disappointed that the figure doesnt look as badass as the picture. Because the pictue is badass (different gloves entirely, short sleeved shirt to show off bi's and tri's, tiger stripe pants). Oh well, there are still ninjas i guess.

Hey,

Has anyone else notice that the design of some of the figures like Cobra Commander, Storm Shadow, Scarlett, Destro, seem to resemble the statues or bust that Palisades have produced in the last few years?

I mean compare Destro's head with his statue or Cobra Commander....

http://www.yojoe.com/archive/statuary/ccstatue/index.shtml

http://www.yojoe.com/archive/statuary/destro_bust.shtml

http://www.yojoe.com/archive/statuary/scarlett_bust.shtml

http://www.yojoe.com/archive/misc/ss_bust.shtml

db

the only thing that i have to complain about is this...they have not been released yet.as far as the scale goes i'm a heck of alot bigger then whan they originally came out.so as much as it might make the old school collectors mad i would love for them to be bigger.i would really love marvel legends scale.

god bless,

preacher

I didn't want to post anything, but I feel there is one perspective that hasn't been torn apart yet. It appears to me that Hasbro anticipated the prospect of parts reuse ahead of the actual sculpting process. None of the first ten figures were merely a mirrored upgrade of their original: Snake Eyes' boots, Storm Shadow's gi and sandals, Cobra Commander's gloves, etc... all alot creative licensing. It seems that the designers opted to give Snake Eyes those particular boots so that they would be unassociated with either version. Storm Shadow has always been represented without sleeves (other than in the original action figure), yet providing a slight sleeve could allow for a second version. I believe the same could be deduced in reimagining Duke's original boots so that they could now intentionally resemble Flint's, or how the pants are an amalgamation of the two. They are, in essence, not taking away from the figures that reuse parts, but rather deciding on a middle ground between the two figures before they are even sculpted. Saying that Snake Eyes' appearance is not fully in it's iconic representation is rediculous, as none of the figures are exactly as such. Some elements are accentuated, and others are neglected upon intent. Snake Eyes was my reason for living as a child, and I could never accept another version of him other than version two. But, upon noticing this pre-planning by the design team, I can accept any of these alterations and rehashes. If Flint's image were released first, he would still look the same because it was pre-planned for him to share parts with Duke. Is it blasphemy?... Only as much as it was for Sunbow to make changes in Hama's versions of the characters. M.C. Escher didn't draw every single element in his tesselations, he drew what was needed, and made cut-out patterns to help with the rest. Snake at cobraisland gave me the perfect word for it: Hybrid. Though at first I thought this was blasphemy, I feel more and more that Hasbro's creative changes throughout these figures are finally the answers to any complaints I had with the originals. If one wanted straight up mirror representations of the originals, then why not settle with the originals... but if one wanted Cobra Commander to finally have the gloves he had in the cartoon, or for Snake Eyes to be rid of his mouth and love-handles, then these do just that: Maintain the original's best, but take away percieved flaws (if any). Now, granted, if they are truly not the same scale then all I have said is obsolete.

I must also add that I love that Snake Eyes has boots. I know that technically the Joes operate outside of the military, but with the exception of Scarlett and a few others, the Joes are still, or at least ex-military. I have always felt that if any ex-military needed to lay down some pain, then they would do so in combat boots (even if they are so pretentious as to do so with a sword, a sci-fi mask, and a wolf running along side them).

The one complaint I do have is with Gung Ho's moustache. He used to look like Chef in Apocalypse Now. Now he resembles every red-neck cop we have here in Georgia. I am sorry, but no matter how much I love GI Joe, I refuse to buy an action figure that I have to hide my doughnuts from.

I didn't want to post anything, but I feel there is one perspective that hasn't been torn apart yet. It appears to me that Hasbro anticipated the prospect of parts reuse ahead of the actual sculpting process. None of the first ten figures were merely a mirrored upgrade of their original: Snake Eyes' boots, Storm Shadow's gi and sandals, Cobra Commander's gloves, etc... all alot creative licensing. It seems that the designers opted to give Snake Eyes those particular boots so that they would be unassociated with either version. Storm Shadow has always been represented without sleeves (other than in the original action figure), yet providing a slight sleeve could allow for a second version. I believe the same could be deduced in reimagining Duke's original boots so that they could now intentionally resemble Flint's, or how the pants are an amalgamation of the two. They are, in essence, not taking away from the figures that reuse parts, but rather deciding on a middle ground between the two figures before they are even sculpted. Saying that Snake Eyes' appearance is not fully in it's iconic representation is rediculous, as none of the figures are exactly as such. Some elements are accentuated, and others are neglected upon intent. Snake Eyes was my reason for living as a child, and I could never accept another version of him other than version two. But, upon noticing this pre-planning by the design team, I can accept any of these alterations and rehashes. If Flint's image were released first, he would still look the same because it was pre-planned for him to share parts with Duke. Is it blasphemy?... Only as much as it was for Sunbow to make changes in Hama's versions of the characters. M.C. Escher didn't draw every single element in his tesselations, he drew what was needed, and made cut-out patterns to help with the rest. Snake at cobraisland gave me the perfect word for it: Hybrid. Though at first I thought this was blasphemy, I feel more and more that Hasbro's creative changes throughout these figures are finally the answers to any complaints I had with the originals. If one wanted straight up mirror representations of the originals, then why not settle with the originals... but if one wanted Cobra Commander to finally have the gloves he had in the cartoon, or for Snake Eyes to be rid of his mouth and love-handles, then these do just that: Maintain the original's best, but take away percieved flaws (if any). Now, granted, if they are truly not the same scale then all I have said is obsolete.

I must also add that I love that Snake Eyes has boots. I know that technically the Joes operate outside of the military, but with the exception of Scarlett and a few others, the Joes are still, or at least ex-military. I have always felt that if any ex-military needed to lay down some pain, then they would do so in combat boots (even if they are so pretentious as to do so with a sword, a sci-fi mask, and a wolf running along side them).

The one complaint I do have is with Gung Ho's moustache. He used to look like Chef in Apocalypse Now. Now he resembles every red-neck cop we have here in Georgia. I am sorry, but no matter how much I love GI Joe, I refuse to buy an action figure that I have to hide my doughnuts from.

Wow, you're absolutely right about Duke's pants. When I first saw them, I wondered why they put one pocket on the front of the right leg. I figured someone just misinterpretted the buckle on the original figure as a pocket, but now I realize it was actually one of Flint's pockets all along. And on the original Duke, his sleaves were barely rolled up, and Flint's were rolled up all the way. So on the new Duke they did it half way; a little higher than the original Duke, a little lower than the original Flint. When you think about it like that, it shows that the team designing these are putting alot of thought into these figures and are trying to do the best with the limited resources they have.

Someone else said it before, and we have to keep it in mind; they can't do a new mold for every figure. It just isn't cost efficient. If I had to choose between 10 figures with completely unique molds or 25 figures that share parts, I'll pick 25. I need to fill up my old APC! If they did make 25 completely unique molds, you can bet the cost of these would skyrocket. Personally, I'll take the reuse of parts and the nice reasonable price they've been tagged with anyday.

Here's Gung-Ho's new accessory. They're planning on reusing it for the Fridge figure too. He'll come with a thousand of them. ;)

GungHoDonut.jpg

syrlandevale:

You are the voice of reason.

As I was reading your post, I felt as if my thoughts were being automatically translated into words, line by line. Everything... from the detail about Duke's pants to your point about Storm Shadow's sleeves.

Like you said, it looks as if the designers were looking for balance: Keep the good stuff, lose the bad. Do the best you can with what budget is available to you.

If you ask me - I would never have fully respected the original designs, as they contain some elements that could be updated or upgraded. Take Duke's boots, for instance. While his shirt and pants looked fine, vintage Duke's boots looked stupid. Even as a kid, this much I realized. And that's why I totally agree with you about Snake Eyes' pants as well (except that I wouldn't have painted his boots gray for the V2 sculpt. Black is better).

Some elements, as ridiculous as they may be by today's standards, are iconic and, as such, shouldn't be touched. But many subtle changes in other places are still possible, perfectly acceptable and more than expected.

Keep it up!

Wow, you're absolutely right about Duke's pants. When I first saw them, I wondered why they put one pocket on the front of the right leg. I figured someone just misinterpretted the buckle on the original figure as a pocket, but now I realize it was actually one of Flint's pockets all along. And on the original Duke, his sleaves were barely rolled up, and Flint's were rolled up all the way. So on the new Duke they did it half way; a little higher than the original Duke, a little lower than the original Flint. When you think about it like that, it shows that the team designing these are putting alot of thought into these figures and are trying to do the best with the limited resources they have.

Someone else said it before, and we have to keep it in mind; they can't do a new mold for every figure. It just isn't cost efficient. If I had to choose between 10 figures with completely unique molds or 25 figures that share parts, I'll pick 25. I need to fill up my old APC! If they did make 25 completely unique molds, you can bet the cost of these would skyrocket. Personally, I'll take the reuse of parts and the nice reasonable price they've been tagged with anyday.

Here's Gung-Ho's new accessory. They're planning on reusing it for the Fridge figure too. He'll come with a thousand of them. ;)

GungHoDonut.jpg

Man after going back and looking at the rah duke, i see you are right. He didnt even have a pocket there. All of it does make sense now. I bow down and give Hasbro credit for thinking ahead. I agree with all your comments sans Storm Shadow. The majority of his toy version had sleeves....even the v1 and v2 ones

great. now the whiners who were just complaining about the second figures that reused the parts and do not contain identical details as their RAH figure counterparts will complain about the the first figure being done half-assed withouit details present on their RAH counterparts just so that the parts will work for multiple figures. "I would rather have ten figures which are perfect representations of their RAH figure than 25 that are only merely similar!" thanks for revealing just another reason for these to be complained about. we appreciate the rationale, but unfortunately those you are attempting to reason with don't care about reason and only argue from an emotional standpoint.

This is the spirit of what the line best represents. No one will ever be 100% satify with a figure.

I have my pickiness about how a figure should look, but I also keep an open-mind to other possiblities. At first, I was a little annoyed with the design of the Hooded Cobra Commander, but I came around to liking it. The same way with Snake-Eyes v2. Flint: This is by far the best update of him since his first appearance way back when.

It is inevitable that even an iconic figure will need an overhaul in design in order to keep the line alive, fresh, and appealing to the eyes of the beholder.

db

I don't really get why every one is so up in arms about the size of these. 3 3/4" VS. 4". I can see how this might bother you if you planned to mix the lines but I guess I don't see how you could even remotly begin to mix these 25th anniversery figures with ANY thing that came before them. They are not any where remotely similar to any other Joe figures. I think that part is pretty evident. To me it would be like mixing S6 and RAH. So to me, I can't see why it matters that they may be out of scale with other Joes. Even if they WERE the exact same size, how could you put them next to each other on the shelf anyway. They are totally seperate lines (to me).

It is inevitable that even an iconic figure will need an overhaul in design in order to keep the line alive, fresh, and appealing to the eyes of the beholder.

db

I don't know if overhauls are neccessary to keep the line fresh. for this line to be succesful it will have to appeal to more people than just us, and those people don't remember every little detail of the original figures so the line would be just as fresh to them if these figures were exact replications of their RAH counterparts or not. but making new figures that are based on the original designs but are not identical down to the very last detail simply isn't neccessary for these figures to be great new renditions of their original figures. these are just new figures based on the original designs, not exact replications. but even then you have people complaining that if they aren't going to replicate it exactly why even base it off of the original design, as if it has to be an all or nothing undertaking.

even if they included every identical strap, sculpted weapon and accessory, someone would complain that a wrinkle sculpted on the sleeve of V1 Duke is not on the new figure and therefore Hasbro doesn't repsect us or the character because that wrinkle would be a defining characteristic of the character.

new sculpts came out years ago, people complained because they weren't based off of the original designs. Figures are made that are based on the original designs, and those same people complain that they aren't exact replications.

Honestly, I'm just happy to have a Flint whose head doesn't make him look like De Niro in Taxi Driver.

DeNiroFlint.gif

Actually, looking at that...if they'd done a better job, his likeness is actually not bad for Flint <_<

Maybe I should just give up trying to state my opinion in an educated manor. It seems that if anyone says anything bad about this line they get blasted by everyone else. And even though some of us have put up decent reasons as to why we are not 100% pleased with this line, and might sceptical of what's to come, we're told our opinion doesn't matter because these figures are 'flawless', and 'I don't see how anyone could not love these.'

Those that have complained have not tried to 'convert' anyone to their style of thinking. They've simply stated their opinion, as have I. Most of us that have complained have also said that they find some things good about the line, and that they reserve the right to final judgement until we've seen the final product. But, that's not good enough. We again get blasted because we have the nerve to say something critical.

So, I haven't bowed down to the awesomeness that is Hasbro. I haven't decided to name my next kid Hasbro to show my gratitude for them even making the 25th line in the first place. And, I'm only likely to buy about half of what's been shown so far based on the pics we've seen. So, if the line fails, feel free to blame me. Yup, me. One collector with an opinion will kill this line, and you can all hate me for it later.

But, from here on out, maybe I should just keep my mouth shut to keep all the 25th worshipers from rioting.