Master Collector has pics of New 25th Ann. Figures

ARBCO

Mace Windu Preview...

I was originall scared by the durability issue as well. These things look close enough to the notoriously breakable Marvel Showdown figures...But when I think about the durability of my Hasbro toys, Joes, Star Wars, Transformers...I don't think Hasbro would ever release sub par plastic or jointing. They're the Ford of toy companies for the most part. So I'm hopeful and optimistic that these guys will last a very long time.

If the line continues into 2008, I think we can expect the same thing that happened with Transformers Alternators. The first line of Alts were pure perfection. Nice tight joints, great paint apps. But the last batch of Alts, namely Optimus and Mirage, have extremely loose joints. So I'm expecting the first line to be the absolute top quality in terms of joints and paint apps, and then regress from there if the line survives. I always just use a little bit of crazy glue to tighten up loose joints though, it's not problem really.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mace Windu Preview...

I was originall scared by the durability issue as well. These things look close enough to the notoriously breakable Marvel Showdown figures...But when I think about the durability of my Hasbro toys, Joes, Star Wars, Transformers...I don't think Hasbro would ever release sub par plastic or jointing. They're the Ford of toy companies for the most part. So I'm hopeful and optimistic that these guys will last a very long time.

This was also a concern of mine as well, but after seeing them in person at Toy Fair, my mind was somewhat at rest. They looked far more durable then the Marvel Showdown figures. I would say they are likely to be as durable as the super articulated clone figures from the Star Wars line.

Mace Windu Preview...

This was also a concern of mine as well, but after seeing them in person at Toy Fair, my mind was somewhat at rest. They looked far more durable then the Marvel Showdown figures. I would say they are likely to be as durable as the super articulated clone figures from the Star Wars line.

Now that would be VERY cool

Which hasbro offering besides the 82-86 run do you think are better than this offering? (And I do realize that this being the best offering is not an excuse if you think the figures are poorly done.)
Well this one. But that's like saying that The Crow: City of Angels was the 2nd best Crow movie. It was head and shoulders better then Wicked Prayer, but that still doesn't mean it didn't deserve some of the criticism it got. It still could have been better, even if it isn't the worst.

who do you think the 25th anniversery line is geared towards ? 10 year olds or people that remember the 1982 series when it was first released?

Let's see 80's Card Art, 80's Characters, V1 Uniforms. All things that havn't been around in almost 20 years...If they aimed this at kids they did a piss poor job. This was clearly aimed at the collector. And while they wouldn't mind getting kids to buy it as well, that's not who they seem to be cartering too.

Just too bad that there always seems to be people out there who aren't happy, and want to ruin the happiness of others to make up for it.
You know...not once has VH's ravings ever taken away from my enjoyment of a toy. It's his opinon. Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don't. I can try to change his mind, and he can do the same to me. But at the end of the day if I like something I like it, and someone else's opinon has never really ruined that.

And unlike some others, that smash you over the head with their opinon and then try to sell it as undeniable logical truth when most of the time it's anything but, VH has always said that it was just his opinon and his opinon alone. I wish more people on message boards would do that before going on the warpath.

Most collectors, especially those who open their toys, will want these new figures to be in scale with the 1000's of figs and vehicles they already own.

See this would be my biggest concern about 4" figures. If Hasbro decides to cheap out and give up some released vehicles for the 25th line instead of new ones....then the figures won't fit. I've never forgot trying to get my 95 POTF Han and Chewy into the 95 POTF Falcon cocpit. It just can't be done...but they released it anyways, and that was for SW....the 900lb Gorilla of all toylines. I can see them doing that here without blinking an eye.

Thing is, my 4" Microman figures have no problems whatsoever in fitting into my GI Joe, Star Wars, and even Johnny Quest vehicles. While they're taller than the figures these vehicles were intended for, they're also WAY more poseable than the figures that these vehicles were invented for. I'm firmly convinced that Hasbro wouldn't be stupid enough to release new GI Joes that couldn't fit into old GI Joe vehicles. But then again...This is the same company that thought Spytroops was a cool idea...

Neo-Viper: Wow, Cobra Commander, what a cool sweater and jeans!

Shipwreck: Ahhhh yeah, shiver me tim...I mean COBRA!!!

SE v2, once again disappointed....... no arrow on his right wrist is a big trademark gone

I'm not quite sure how much of a trademark that arrow was...I don't even remember it being there. it was more of a small detail, like Scarlett's gun, but not anything that defined the character or differentiated it from any other version. when you think differences between v1 and v2, I am willing to bet that the gray straps as opposed to being all black, the visor and the bandolier are what most people would think, not an arrow on his wrist.

I'm not syaing you shouldn't be disappointed that a detail that you enjoyed about the figure is not present, I just think it is an exagertion that it was a defining trademark of the figure.

I think the weapons look good on all of these. For all my concerns, something tells me I am going to be VERY happy with these figs

But ya know what, VH isn't really a bad guy, and he's generally amusing, he just has ridiculously high unrealistic standards and expectations. Why don't the guns shoot real bullets? Why can't I slice eggs with Storm Shadows swords? They're not releasing a newly molded USS Flagg for $10? Bottom line, some people like em, some people don't. Some people have 15 hours to waste typing about their hate for plastic representations of fictional characters who haven't been relevant in 20 years. Peace.

LOL!! VH is a pal. He reminds me of that old (?) saying: "I may not know art, but I know what I like!" He's alot like some of us other "old timers" that remember when the original 3-3/4" toys were, as far as toys go, works of art in every sense of the word. Hasbro paid attention to every exact detail. And sometimes it's just frustrating when Hasbro's modern standards aren't up to par with a nearly thirty-year-old property. There's just no excuse for it, I don't care what they say.

BUT...having said that, honestly, I love this new line. Maybe I just don't expect perfection from Hasbro anymore since they've truly used and abused the repaint/recycle-body-parts rule with both G.I. Joe AND Star Wars absolutely to death so much lately that I'm not suprised by the practice with the anniversary line. And obviously there are times when such a practice makes perfect sense. I realize that, especially in the case of army builders like the Cobra officers and soldiers along with all the different clone troopers. But c'mon, really...how hard would it have been to sculpt Flint some new arms? It just seems a little cheap for something as commemorative as the 25th anniversary. You'd think they'd go all out on each individual character. But really it's a minor, minor issue for me. Like I said maybe I just don't care as much anymore. I'm happy with my original RAH figures. Something like the newer stuff coming along is just bonus as far as I'm concerned. I never expected G.I. Joe to be this relevant at this point in my life anyway, come to think of it. I'm just taking it as it comes.

So I'm gonna take the high road and just enjoy it for what it's worth and not take it too seriously. Maybe that's VH's problem, and it's entirely his perrogative to do so, mind you; he has very high standards that Hasbro's not gonna meet, and that's why he gets annoyed at them so much. I truly understand that myself after growing up with the great original toys. But even they eventually fell victim to sloppy gimmicks, bad repaints, and missed opportunities in the end. It's just that he knows what Hasbro's capable of, and they don't always live up to their own standards.

I just have to say that even though I find myself agreeing with VH on quality issues and the occaisional lack of attention to details, I nevertheless really like what I have seen so far and will own multiples. Now many people complain about the reported 4" scale. That's not an issue for me. I'd prefer a slightly larger scale anyway myself. I'm one of those people that wouldn't mix the various lines anyway, and I sure don't play with 'em (not saying that's a bad thing though if one does) (lol). I'm mainly wanting these things for display purposes anyway. Now there are some minor things that do kinda bug me; Flint's arms for example, although really they look just fine. And I do wish he'd have cammo on his pants. (Isn't the whole point of this line, to replicate the look of the old figures? Frankly they're missing the point if the leave out details like that...) Everything else about that figure to me is nice to me though. Also, Snake-Eyes version two's lower legs; the rest of him looks great, but...he didn't wear combat boots with his original outfit. Still it's a relatively minor problem. And the gray parts of the original were alot darker, just light enough to be distinguishable from the black. Also, something else occured to me about that second version Storm Shadow; didn't the original have rolled-up sleeves on his arms? So couldn't they have just used Duke's arms for him? It would've looked alot better than the short sleeves of the version one they're using. Meh...

Like I said, in the big picture these are all very minor things. I'm mainly excited to get retro figures on retro card-backs that will display nicely on my shelf. Overall I'm really excited and can't wait to see what they have planned for the rest of the lineup.

I like the cobra officer and snake-eyes 2. I love the cobra commander, Storm Shadow, and Flint. I am definitely going to have to get some of these figures.

But ya know what, VH isn't really a bad guy, and he's generally amusing, he just has ridiculously high unrealistic standards and expectations. Why don't the guns shoot real bullets? Why can't I slice eggs with Storm Shadows swords? They're not releasing a newly molded USS Flagg for $10?

@haha@ So funny, because it's so true.

I've been reading his posts for a couple years now. Some people just set the bar too high. I do the same quite often. For example, even though the new Flint is almost a spot-on repro of the card art, I'll prolly pass it up because of the lack of grin and open collar.

I know, it's crazy. But when you see what Hasbro is capable of, you eventually expect them to deliver it 24/7.

It's not fair, but it is precedent.

-PJ

But ya know what, VH isn't really a bad guy, and he's generally amusing, he just has ridiculously high unrealistic standards and expectations. Why don't the guns shoot real bullets? Why can't I slice eggs with Storm Shadows swords? They're not releasing a newly molded USS Flagg for $10?

@haha@ So funny, because it's so true.

I've been reading his posts for a couple years now. Some people just set the bar too high. I do the same quite often. For example, even though the new Flint is almost a spot-on repro of the card art, I'll prolly pass it up because of the lack of grin and open collar.

I know, it's crazy. But when you see what Hasbro is capable of, you eventually expect them to deliver it 24/7.

It's not fair, but it is precedent.

-PJ

I like that he speaks his mind and is not afraid to be himself, you HAVE to respect that.

Viper Hunter: Review

Articulation: 6 out of 10-He's got plenty of joints but most of them are in unusual and unecessary places.

Paint Job: 4 out of 10-Hasbro did a poor job of painting his earlobes, and where's the smirk?

Sculpting: 7 out of 10-Again, they simply could have done better. I would have been willing to dish out the extra loot.

Overall: I appreciate the effort on Hasbro's part, but the Viper Hunter figure is simply another "Would be great if" kind of figure. Suggest you only pick this one up if you're a completist.

VH, it is rather lame to pass judgment on the pics until you've seen 'em. Doesn't matter how well they're described. I think there's an old saying about how many words a picture is worth...

I still disagree. It's what we DO here.

For someone to tell me that they SAW the pics of Flint at MC, and that Flint has the same body mold as Duke, I know I dislike that already. I don't have to see it to tell you that.

Doesn't seem like such a big deal, or anything "lame" to know I don't like a RE-USE for one of my favorite characters.

Now having explained that,

I will give SOME compliments on the paint scheme on Flint, as I think (when compared to the artwork) it matches up very well, despite the use of Dukes body, and they did add some gloves.

flint2jd3.png

I very well COULD end up giving this figure a BETTER rating once in hand, but at this juncture, I'm not impressed.

It's just the way it works in this hobby.

Whatever man. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. You should be grateful you live in a country that allows grown men to buy children's toys and not lock you up for it. Remember? These are CHILDREN'S TOYS. I grew up on G.I. Joe, I LOVE G.I. Joe, and I'm extremely grateful to Hasbro for this new 25th Anniversary line because although I loved them as a kid, the old 80's figures don't hold up anymore IN MY OPINION. If you think the old ones are better than the new ones, then that's cool, but I think the new ones look better, and so do the vast majority of people here. I'm glad we're getting redo's. Are they perfect? No, some of them aren't. And why is that? BECAUSE THEY'RE CHILDREN'S TOYS!!! As an adult collector, this should always, ALWAYS be kept in mind. They'll never be at a Movie Maniacs or Cult Classics level of detail because they're meant to be played with by little kids. And a little kid isn't going to care if Flint is made of the same body as Duke, or if SE v2 doesn't have a wrist-dart launcher. When I was little, I didn't care that most of the first year of figures reused body parts, and little kids are the reason that line of toys was so successful, not collectors. They may throw us a bone or two, but the fate of the line rests on how many kids are going to ask mommy and daddy to buy these for them.

Yep, if people don't tlike them that is fine, but I agree with you. The 80's figures don't hold up anymore, and in MY opinion these really modernize the line. I think these will do well and are probably the best gi joe offering hasbro has had in a long while, if ever.

so 15 have been released. 8 joes 7 cobras, I would estimate 5 more joes and 5 more cobras.

major bludd

Firefly

Zartan

Lady Jaye

Stalker

Hawk

these 6 are pretty much on everyone's list. So it really is a crapshoot whom the final 4 will be.

I agree that Zartan, Firefly, and Major Bludd, along with Stalker, Lady Jaye, and Hawk. I am hoping for another Corba troop builder and I am in the minority of hoping for a Serpentor figure. *Ducks.

I really hope that initial list we saw which included Buzzer turns out to be fake. Not that I have anything against Buzzer but I'm afraid we'll only get 25...And there's a lot of heavier hitters than Buzzer.

I agree that Zartan, Firefly, and Major Bludd, along with Stalker, Lady Jaye, and Hawk. I am hoping for another Corba troop builder and I am in the minority of hoping for a Serpentor figure. *Ducks.

I really hope that initial list we saw which included Buzzer turns out to be fake. Not that I have anything against Buzzer but I'm afraid we'll only get 25...And there's a lot of heavier hitters than Buzzer.

Although Buzzer is getting alot of screen time in the DDP Dreadnok's Declassified series. He is getting fleshed out big time. More so than any of the other Dreads outside of Zarana/Zandar. Of course if you go based on the toyline I would agree with you.

As for Serpentor. While he is a hit or miss with most (very few middle ground views on him) I think he would make for a spectacular figure. He has one of the cooler looks even if it is far fetched. The same goes for Battle Armor Fred VII Commander, Headhunter Stormtroopers and BATS. All are a bit overboard but to some of us that is what makes them awesome.

Kameda you are so funny. I just spit out my Dr.Pepper on the screen when you said that. Its even more funny cause I know you would.

Sweet. I love it when I make a guy shoot his Dr. Pepper... @hmmm@ Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Viper Hunter: Review

Articulation: 6 out of 10-He's got plenty of joints but most of them are in unusual and unecessary places.

Paint Job: 4 out of 10-Hasbro did a poor job of painting his earlobes, and where's the smirk?

Sculpting: 7 out of 10-Again, they simply could have done better. I would have been willing to dish out the extra loot.

Overall: I appreciate the effort on Hasbro's part, but the Viper Hunter figure is simply another "Would be great if" kind of figure. Suggest you only pick this one up if you're a completist.

yeah, that review isnt working for me, I think I will wait for the official TNI review

Is the Serpentor figure a definate ?

yeah, serpentor or buzzer could totally work. Though, would they realy make only one dreadnok at a time? So could a crimson guard as they seem to always sell well for hasbro.

So who would the final joes be. Beachhead would be awesome.

I guess who would be the last 2 most joe popular characters?

Serpentor isn't a definite as of yet. There was a list of new figures including Serpentor which was circulating before we saw ANY of the 25th figures. The list gets some creedence as it included Snake Eyes with Wolf, Hooded Cobra Commander, & Flint who are all part of the single carded assortment. I am personally hoping the list was a fake, as the list included Buzzer. Don't get me wrong, I love Buzzer, but Buzzer is to GI Joe as The Rancor Keeper is to Star Wars. IMO there are SEVERAL other Cobras who deserve to be made first in the unlikely possibility that the line ends after 25. We'll wait and see I suppose.