Master Collector has pics of New 25th Ann. Figures

ARBCO

Patience!

Regarding Tomax & Xamot: The only problem here is that the originals were part of a 2 pack. You think Hasbro would release them separately? Sounds fun from a collector's POV, but I dunno if it'd work for Hasbro. Although, they've been doing a lot of variants like this in the Star Wars line lately.

I'm pretty sure we'll be getting more than 25 figures in the long run. They don't even need to be just "upgrades" of the classics, they could even coin in some new stuff, as if it were a restart for the line. Say, how about a Destro w/ coat, ala GIJOE: THE MOVIE? Just to give an example. BTW, here's hoping they'll make Destro V2 and an Iron Grenadier :P Ya know what would kick major ass? A Destro w/ removable mask. They can definitely pull it off. Just from looking at what they're doing w/ Star Wars. And this line is like SW's "VOTC".

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news for MC-folk: Thursday the pics will be available to be downloaded via the Newsletter when it goes up. When Hasbro decides to release the pics to everyone else is unknown to me.

I have no doubt in my mind those are all there. Now I just need to see a pic of the new Moth set! *grumble*

-Kevin

should we start a new thread Thursday for those begging for pics from MC members or should we just continue in this one?

For the love of god, can we please not have another "MC sucks because they won't share pics" thread? At the very least, label the thread as such so I can skip it.

Apparently the new issue of Lee's Action Figure News and Toy Review has pictures of Cobra Officer, Cobra Commander (Hooded),

Storm Shadow (version 2), Snake Eyes (Version 2) and it also shows Flint. Over on the banned message board a poster by the name of Sallah gave descriptions of the figures in the magazine which took alot of my excitement away for the 25th Anniversary figures.

:rolleyes: @grumpy@

Sallah writes:

"...every one of them reuses body sculpts from the figures from the 5 packs...

Snake-Eyes with Timber shares the same body sculpt as the first Snakes with different chest gear and a new head...

Hooded Cobra Commander is a new head and a darker paint scheme...

Storm Shadow 2...new head, different gear, different paint sheme..

Cobra Officer is the same body as the Trooper with a new paint job and different gear...

And saddest of the bunch...Flint is just Duke with a different paint scheme and a new head..."

I suppose you don't like the original 1982 series of figures either who all share body parts, the original Duke figure which was made up of parts from several figures with a couple of new sculpted parts, or even the original hooded Cobra Commander who is just a repaint of Cobra Commander with a new head? considering sharing parts is part of Joe lore, and the fact the all of those parts can easily be the new characters with new web gear, I think either you are overreacting or have a false sense of the history of G.I. Joe figures. to dislike part sharing is to dislike G.I. Joe. Was Flint's shirt so distinct that it needs a new sculpt to make it Flint? same with Snake Eyes, or the Cobra Officer. the qualities of those figures aren't dependent upon the base of them, but in the variety of their weapons and web gear that created individual detail. give Flint some shotgun shells to run down his chest as removable gear and you don't need to sculpt a new torso for him. Same with V2 Snake-Eyes with grenades, etc. etc.

oh dear, let the bitching and moaning begin!

Nobody is crackin' on MC yet! I've only seen major mega PLEAS for pics (when available) to be pm'd.

Let's not forecast the weather, before it gets here. Isn't that suppose to be the TNI way anyway? @smilepunch@

Well, if it's just gonna be 1982 all over AGAIN, and paying tribute to the "lore" of G.I.Joe back in those days...

tell me again why the O-ring is gone? @hmmm@

Some people seem to want it BOTH ways. Sticking to OLD habits in one aspect is ok, but stick to something like the O-ring, and we're just stuck in a rut and can't get behind PROGRESS? @lol@

I think a borrowed set of legs, or forearms, or even a waist piece is one thing, but to use an entire body with just the difference of some gear or a head sculpt, in the year 2007, is cheap.

I'd have to see the pics myself, before condemning the Flint figure (if it's just Duke, with a different head) but if it is...I'm pretty sure I'll be disappointed with it.

Personally, the existing Snake Eyes and Duke bodies are so damn plain as is, I see no real issue reusing them in this manner. I agree with gscbr, slap a new head, new web gear, some new paint, and it really shouldn't be that big a deal. I certainly don't see a reason to make a whole new torso just to change the wrinkle pattern on the shirt.

Well, if it's just gonna be 1982 all over AGAIN, and paying tribute to the "lore" of G.I.Joe back in those days...

Some people seem to want it BOTH ways. Sticking to OLD habits in one aspect is ok, but stick to something like the O-ring, and we're just stuck in a rut and can't get behind PROGRESS? @lol@

and you miss the meaning, as always. @smilepunch@

it has nothing to do with Hasbro's practice of reusing parts being an homage to the original figures, it has to with fans opinion of whether reused parts is good or not and determines whether you like the figures. disliking parts being reused on multiple figures means you dislike even the original Joes, not just these, because it is the practice you dislike. and if you dislike the original Joes who cares if you dislike these. but if you do like the original RAH figures, which reuse parts quite frequently, but dislike these simply on the basis that they reuse parts, that position is hypocritical.

and no, it isn't cheap. a pair plain of pants is a pair of pants, so is a shirt. as long as the qulaities that make up the characters are present for each figure, which is usuaully determined by the weapons and web gear each character has on top of their plain pants and shirts, thenI see no need for each figure to have to be resculpted. that is a waste and I'd rather see those resources go towards making more figures and characters, even if they share the same body parts.

2duke.jpg2flint.jpg

How bad would the Flint head, on Dukes body, been perceived by fans back when?

They're two very distinctive UNIQUE and highly popular characters. They deserve unique and distinctive molded parts. Hasbro is cheaping out on this, if it's true. @grumpy@

yeah, but the current Duke figure doesn't have molded on straps or anything.. so if you were to cast that baby in black, add some shotgun shell straps, camo up his pants and throw on a new head and maybe some new arms.. I think it'd pass for Flint pretty well

2duke.jpg2flint.jpg

How bad would the Flint head, on Dukes body, been perceived by fans back when?

They're two very distinctive UNIQUE and highly popular characters. They deserve unique and distinctive molded parts. Hasbro is cheaping out on this, if it's true. @grumpy@

hmm, they are both wearing plain pair of pants with a holster and a plain shirt, the only difference is the color. new duke is wearing a plain pair of pants and a plain shirt, paint them in Flint colors and they are identical. don't see a need for a new sculpt of parts that will be identical. the only difference is their web gear, which on the new figures is a seperate accessory. yes, if all they give him is Duke's web gear, than that is cheap. but if they sculpt Flint new web gear that is an homage to the original, the figure will look just like Flint with a new head. I fail to see the problem.

I think you are exagerating how unique and different Flint's pants and shirt are then Duke's. unless Flints pants are button down and Duke's are zippered, I see no difference between them.

sorry vh i think your pic helped disprove your point this time. Aside from the gear (which is removable) the eagle, and the sleeve difference they are insanely close. I would have prefered new lower arms with gloves too but this is one i saw coming as long as he has the shot gun shells i'll be happy.

Question is the beret removable?

while yes i would appreciate pics pmed to me i don't plan on bashing mc either. It's an annoying argument i don't care to repeat. I'm intersted in the pics of this prototype! how about those?

I don't see what the big fuss is over getting more versions of super popular characters like SE and CC. SSv2 is a little odd, but Hasbro is really pimping SS these days (Sigma 6 is rampant with numerous versions of him, so I guess he sells). SSv2 and hooded CC are very popular and iconic looks.

Another thing to consider. Some people might not want to invest in the 5-packs, but they might be willing to buy a single SEv2 and hooded CC. Instead of just getting the 5-pack figures released also as single-carded (and taking up release slots), we're getting "new" versions of these characters. Seems fair to me. How's that for spin? I just wish they were pushed a little bit back, so they're not so close to the 5-packs.

I think reusing Duke's body for Flint isn't too bad. Duke does have a standard type shirt, so it makes sense to be reused, especially in a military unit that can use standard issue uniforms.

SEv2 reusing the v1 body also doesn't bother me. With the bandolier added on him and all the commando gear not there, he should appear rather different.

I'm not too worried about the future of this line. I'm sure it'll go well into 2008 if not farther. There seems to be quite a bit of interest in the line from fans and newbies. Also, Hasbro is obviously excited about the line. They've set out press releases and staggered the presentation of pics. They're trying to generate buzz and seem to be doing a good job of it.

Hasbro saying the future of the line depends on sales isn't them being shady and manipulating us. It's them being honest. They don't want to tell us product will be made if it's not going to really happen. The future of this really does depend on sales. They're not going to make product that no one wants. Look at the DTC line. It didn't sell nearly enough, and it's a same scale GI Joe line. Hasbro has a little right to be cautious about 3.75" GI Joe toys. Right now, the market for them isn't rock solid. I think the Anniversary line will change that though.

Regarding the pics, I'll wait till Hasbro releases them. I don't feel a need to scramble to see black & white pics anyway. Hasbro will certainly reveal color versions. I'm sure they'll be coming within a week which is cool with me. Look forward to seeing them however. And the stuff beyond...like Beachead.

and you miss the meaning, as always. @smilepunch@

No..I don't think I really did so much. ;)

it has nothing to do with Hasbro's practice of reusing parts being an homage to the original figures, it has to with fans opinion of whether reused parts is good or not and determines whether you like the figures. disliking parts being reused on multiple figures means you dislike even the original Joes, not just these, because it is the practice you dislike. and if you dislike the original Joes who cares if you dislike these. but if you do like the original RAH figures, which reuse parts quite frequently, but dislike these simply on the basis that they reuse parts, that position is hypocritical.
Did you leave out THIS part of my post for a reason?

I think a borrowed set of legs, or forearms, or even a waist piece is one thing, but to use an entire body with just the difference of some gear or a head sculpt, in the year 2007, is cheap.

I think I covered the fact that using PARTS (frankensteining) is ONE thing, and has ALWAYS been a practice of Hasbro's in making the figures. I'm quite content with some of that continuing on today.

However, THIS is not the case. It's (apparently) the entire BODY of Duke, with just a different paint scheme and head sculpt.

Sorry! That SUCKS, and is VERY cheapo! <_<

and no, it isn't cheap. a pair plain of pants is a pair of pants, so is a shirt. as long as the qulaities that make up the characters are present for each figure, which is usuaully determined by the weapons and web gear each character has on top of their plain pants and shirts, thenI see no need for each figure to have to be resculpted. that is a waste and I'd rather see those resources go towards making more figures and characters, even if they share the same body parts.

Then you'll be getting what YOU want, and you'll be happy with a half dozen characters all having the same bodies (like in 1982) but I'll be pretty displeased with them, and still thinking they're cheapo. The best years of ARAH, was when Hasbro got away from the earlier practices, and started coming up with some original molds for the various characters, using only an arm or leg or waist piece here and there. I'm fine with that. This isn't THAT though, it's chinsy at best. They need to do better.

Just my opinion btw! ;)

sorry vh i think your pic helped disprove your point this time. Aside from the gear (which is removable) the eagle, and the sleeve difference they are insanely close. I would have prefered new lower arms with gloves too but this is one i saw coming as long as he has the shot gun shells i'll be happy.

Question is the beret removable?

One minute, we're all in awe of how Hasbro is paying such GREAT tribute to the original molds of these characters, down to the minor details and color schemes of them (CC's gun attachment on his back) and NOW it's as though those minor details don't matter, as long as they slap the name Flint on the box, and he's appearance is CLOSE enough, even though he's trottin' around in Dukes getup?

:rolleyes:

I don't think expecting Flint to have his OWN body parts, replicated to the finer details, like what the others have had done for them, is too much to expect.

dukeflintmg9.png

HEY..it's FLINT!

I can tell by his head!

@loll@

I heard that the pics are in the new Lee's as well. I should go through and clean up this thread. There are probably 2 pages of pic requests!

Easy there Maverick! <_<

I don't think eager fans and MEMBERS (some NEW members) having their posts deleted by you (for what?) is in your job description.

They're not bothering anything are they?

I don't see what the big fuss is over getting more versions of super popular characters like SE and CC. SSv2 is a little odd, but Hasbro is really pimping SS these days (Sigma 6 is rampant with numerous versions of him, so I guess he sells). SSv2 and hooded CC are very popular and iconic looks.

It would STILL have been nice to make the first 25....all unique characters, and not to have had SS or CC "pimped" out so soon.

Apparently, the kids don't like G.I.Joe these days, and the oldtimers (fandom) only wants 4 or 5 of the ARAH characters, so Hasbro is going to pump out the same 4 or 5 characters to those folks.

SS in battle wear!

SS in evening wear!

SS in Bermuda shorts!

SS naked!

@smilepunch@

That philosophy sucks man, it really does.

I think reusing Duke's body for Flint isn't too bad. Duke does have a standard type shirt, so it makes sense to be reused, especially in a military unit that can use standard issue uniforms.

That's a pisspoor homeage to Flint though. <_<

He's wearing Dukes hand-me-downs!