The cartoonization of Hasbro ML

CLAM

they look like they would belong with this wave of marvel legends... they don't look like the detail level that toybiz became famous for. that's all i am saying.

heck, I wish I could find that Cap.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ML1_CaptainAmerica.jpg

ML1_IronMan.jpg

those two are just as cartoonish in my opinion.... looks like Toybiz had some growing to do with their first wave, too.

Personally, I love both that Cap and IM. And *gasp* look at that Cap.......NO PAINT WASH????? Quick! Someone pull up the discussion forum for Toy Biz wave 1. I want to read about all their complaints about cartoonishness and lack of paint wash.

I think people only complain about the lack of paint wash now, because they got spoiled.

personally, it doesn't bother me... just makes them easier to repaint....

i personally didnt really start liking ML until they started making the figures look like how we expect them today. I later ended up becoming interested and searching for the older figures. In particular, I really like that captain america, but they did do a more realistic one later on as well as an icon of said version.

I am basing what I have come to really love about TB ML with their details and paintwashes. Yeah sure I am a bit spoiled with how TB ran the show but with HB upping the price on all the continued lines, I expect more. If im going to pay extra than what i was paying for before, i expect improvements. Maybe thats expecting too much from HB since they grabbed the license and knew that the fans were what kept it going. I think, personally, I was expecting equal if not better results of ML when hasbro got the rights. I assumed(and i guess thats my downfall) that they would continue ML's greatness and make it even better. As of right now they are cheapening things and making them more expensive.

Actually I remember a thread on fwoosh, this was only a few months before hasbro was announced to take over, where they were talking about how the early toybiz stuff was outdated and needed to be redone. They didn't use the term cartoony, but they did refer to them as plain. So picking anything from the first 3 waves of toybiz ML won't make for a good argument. I personally like those first waves, though some fit in better than others (ml 3 wolverine is so outdated).

I think that Jean Grey that was posted on page 5 looks MUCH better, I'll probably buy it now but only for the Blob piece, but at least now I won't hate it. Thank goodness they got rid of that fugly head.

Is there any news on that subline for kids? I still really want that ml 6 wolverine in astonishing colors, that will be a great line to compare quality. My toybiz 6 wolverine is loose like a hoker, I'm sure the Hasbro one will be sturdy.

I'd like Hasbro to reissue some older toybiz stuff but only if they can improve the paint aps. Aside from the $10 price tag and no comics that's the only thing holding me back now. The sculpting is obviously improving since wave 1.

I know the resources are there... but wouldn't you want to make your own place, and not have everyone think you are just copying someone else's idea?

If they want to set themselves apart, then stop cashing in on the Marvel Legends name and start over calling the line something else. If you are going to call it the same thing and use some of the same resources then obviously people are going to make comparisons to how they used to be.

I don't think these look cartoonish at all. They look exactly like Cap and Ironman. The Ironman especially looks like Gene Colan drew him during his classic Silver-Age run on "Tales of Suspense".

Now, if by "cartoonish" you mean they're not over-detailed in the hyper-realistic style of 90's-type artists like McFarlane, et al, then I would agree with you. And I'd still prefer these.

I totally agree...there is absolutely nothing cartoonish about those figures.

wow, 6 pages of debate here! almost like the fwoosh. lol..........for me, cyclops looks awesome, as well as danger. BUT, those are the only 2 that look good to me. i'm not saying i won't buy the whole line because i am a completest and i want a brood queen.

i do NOT like the fact that some figures have cut out articulation. i mean the little stuff like the toes or the fingers, i can live with, but WHY on GODS green earth would you take out part of the elbow articulation? why? please tell me. the single elbow serves NO purpose on figures that don't have buldging bi-cepts. now on some figs i understand, like bishop, thor, ect....but white queen?? WTF?? the WHOLE entire reason i bought this line was for the articulation. for years i wanted a superposeable toyline with no action features. and BAM i got it and i was blown away by the articulation, the paint apps and just the overall figure. hell i wasn't even a marvel fan until this toy line. this line is what got me back into reading the comics and getting to know the characters. but for me, Hasbro is not living up to the TB standard

i look at the legendary hero's line and i see what ML should be. the pain ap's, i mean WOW.......looks like they have even improved the female scuplt. this line i WILL buy because they look good, and are painted really really well.

HML looks too cartoony for me. like i said before i will probably buy them all because i want a brood queen, but there is always ebay too. Oh and i will STOP completly buying HML if the articulation goes down even more in the upcoming waves. so here's your chance Hasbro, please don't effe up!!

I gotta say that ML1 Iron Man is STILL one of my favorite figures. Absolutely perfect and exactly how I picture Iron Man when I think of him. Great poseability, and great colors.

He's still in my display, while most early characters that got remade (Cap, Thor, Wolverine) got replaced with later, better versions, all the Iron Men that came out after ML1 have gone into a separate armory display but ML1 Iron Man is still #1 for me.

yeah those wave 1 figures go for a lot, and iron man and cap, while not peg warmers, weren't chases or anything. They were pretty common when first released. I've seen regular (not gold or stealth) Iron Man go for $50 on eBay. I love that Iron Man he's probably my number 2 favorite ML. Wolverine ML 6 would be my favorite.

Damn you Hasbro, damn you all to hell!

That's sarcasim, right?

Damning someone to hell over little toys? Laughable @loll@

lmao he wants to send Hasbro into an internal fire because they didn't apply paint washes and skipped out on POA. @loll@ @loll@ This board is comedy sometimes.

The fwoosh board can get pretty hilarious too. People take these figures seriously.

it's pretty funny to see people getting all up in arms about ml. both sides have vaild points. i really liked the toybiz line. i thought they were more articulate. some also seemed a bit more resiliant to breaking(you all know what i mean...that one figure that once you open it, it's joints are so stiff you don't wanna move it for fear of ripping it apart) though the hasbro line has a few figures i really like. i liked ultimate iron man, hulk, hercules...emma frost just looked like a street walker...so disappointing. i'm looking forward to yellow jacket, she-hulk, quicksilver, blob, thor, danger, astonishing cyclpos and a few others. i hope it's just a learning process so that it will get better an fans get what we want. though as fans...do we want to much? nah...since i'm new to this board i have one question to all. i've been looking around at these custome built figures and must say i'm jealous of some. any idea how to do that or can they be bought from others?

what you guys seem to forget is their freaking comic book characters!!!!! and comic book character are done in cartoon like fashion or now aday computers.

but i do agree they need some changes. rachel's elf ears, giving black knight a removable helmet, shorting Danger "wings". also did anyone else notice that bucky is patriot(new avengers box set) with a new head

IMG_6611.jpg

Howdy

@loll@ Well, if Capt. America had a ventriloquist dummy, we now know what it would look like.

If anything, Bucky Doody here is the one I think needs the most work. He looks too tall, he looks taller than the FA Cap. Plus the "sheriff's badge" is odd, I've checked around and never found a pic of him sporting the star on his shirt, plus that same shirt usually had buttons on both sides, or so I thought. The chaps though, are just weird. Still, it shouldn't be too hard to make him look more like this: http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/b/buckyi.htm

Just checked and my suspicions are correct...

Bucky is a straight repaint of the Young Avengers Boxed Set Patriot. It has a different collar on Bucky, but it's the same body, and explains the star that never appeared on Bucky's costume. All that seems new on this figure is the head and different collar.

what you guys seem to forget is their freaking comic book characters!!!!! and comic book character are done in cartoon like fashion or now aday computers.

but i do agree they need some changes. rachel's elf ears, giving black knight a removable helmet, shorting Danger "wings". also did anyone else notice that bucky is patriot(new avengers box set) with a new head

tarot

post Today, 07:44 PM

he doesn't read all the post does he?

@smilepunch@

hey don't start nothing won't be nothing :D:P allso thats just on the last page ;)

anyways.... :D Ibelive you have you're answer for the above