The cartoonization of Hasbro ML

CLAM

Seriously Clam, where do you get off making a thread like this. As a mod, you should be the one yelling at people for saying that just because someone's taste isn't the same as everyone else's, doesn't mean they have "less discernable taste", not saying it yourself.

As stated many times before, this is a board is a place of opinions. Not a place where you can shove your opinion down everyone else's throat and be condescending to those whose opinion differ than yours.

bro... "discernable" simply meant selective. It has already been proven by several members here that they will buy whatever figures because they like the characters.. or because it is the best out there. thats what I meant.. maybe I should have said "discriminating"

Be that as it may, you've posted many times before that these figures are crap to you. We all get that. We don't need proof. Although I must admit, you put a lot of effort into it, all it seems like you're doing is trying to make the people that like it foolish. A lot of people actually collect for the character, not the quality.

On a side note, even if i didn't like the new MLs, I'd have no right to complain about quality since I collect everything X-Men, and I've made some purchases on some things that are pretty ugly, but I like them because they're X-Men.

(And sorry about the attitude earlier, I had literally rolled out of bed and sat at my computer, so my head wasn't really in the clear.)

meh, I just did this because people were telling me that my complaints were simple "ant-hasbro" propoganda.... and this thread shows that it is not.

don't worry about it

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're comparing convention "Two-ups" to actual prototypes and making a sweeping conclusion.

Sorry, but TOY-BIZ's two-ups always looked better than the actual figures. ALWAYS.

Other than the fact that the Yellowjacket who debuted at last year's SDCC is metallic gold, I see no real differnece in the scuplt. Ditto for Quicksilver and Thor. Yes, the paint-apps are better, but again...they're "two-ups", intended to excite retailers and end-customers.

nope, sorry. I believe Juggernaut is the only "two-up" of the bunch.

the rest are 6 inchers. You can even see the stamps inside Quicksilvers leg because he is just a repainted figure.

and yes, Toybiz protos usually looked better, but not different

There is a difference between artist specific and cartoony. FA HUlk and Iron Man are both based on early comic design, but they still look realistic. Cap looks more saturday morning tv show than he does 60's kirby comic art.

I disagree. I think Cap appears more Kirby comic art than saturday morning tv. I think that the sculpters who did FA Hulk and Iron Man used intergrated their own intrepatations rather than using the source material. There is no way Tony Stark's face looked that detail in the comics. Also, the FA ironman toy had extra detail added such as the rivets and metal plates here and there. Fa Hulk is given colored eyes and a more squashed face.

399px-Hulk1.jpg

The toy does not look like the pic above.

Hell, look at FA Thing. Even though Jack Kirby's Thing looks funky, it doesn't resemble to that piece of garbage we got in ml.

I think some folks have forgotten that taste is personal, not universal.

These things are not at point-of-sale yet--so the criticisms are just plain unfounded until they are in hand. Even then, telling others that they should dislike something for someone else's reasons is laughable at best. Ultimately, its for each of us to decide for ourselves and "evidence" like this is really just a pointless waste of bandwith.

Its too bad that folks like Clam dislike the stuff, and too bad if they cannot continue with the hobby because of that dislike.

That does not affect me though, because I'm very comfortable with how these figures look.

True, I realize it is a waste to defend point out that it is paint that changes the look fo the toy and not the sculpt since I have a midterm in a few hours

It looks like they just changed the paint aps, not the sculpt. I'll still buy the ones I want as usual. And if the paint bothers you that much just don't buy it, or fix it yourself.

Toybiz made a few lines of crappy figures too ie. sentinel series(although the baf was the best), legendary riders and the last two.

the head sculpts are different... on everybody except wolvie, Juggs and Blob I think

You're comparing convention "Two-ups" to actual prototypes and making a sweeping conclusion.

Sorry, but TOY-BIZ's two-ups always looked better than the actual figures. ALWAYS.

Other than the fact that the Yellowjacket who debuted at last year's SDCC is metallic gold, I see no real differnece in the scuplt. Ditto for Quicksilver and Thor. Yes, the paint-apps are better, but again...they're "two-ups", intended to excite retailers and end-customers.

nope, sorry. I believe Juggernaut is the only "two-up" of the bunch.

the rest are 6 inchers. You can even see the stamps inside Quicksilvers leg because he is just a repainted figure.

and yes, Toybiz protos usually looked better, but not different

I checked your comparsion shots once more during my study break and realize that xorn from the early pics is a two up as well. Look at the sdcc Jean and see how tall Xorn is behind her.

I disagree. I think Cap appears more Kirby comic art than saturday morning tv. I think that the sculpters who did FA Hulk and Iron Man used intergrated their own intrepatations rather than using the source material. There is no way Tony Stark's face looked that detail in the comics

There's a list of characters that look quite exaggerated and cartoony:

Toad from ML 1

Phoenix's face is pretty stylized

There's a Spiderman in the SMC like that is based on Ed McGuiness' art

The Ditko FA Spiderman

The McFarlane Spiderman

The Romita jr Spiderman

Captain America in ML1 has some exaggerated features--certainly in light of the Caps that followed.

FA Hulk

FA Thing

Face-Off Punisher

First SMC Daredevil

Doop--okay he doesn't really count.....

Howard the Duck--ditto.....

Silver Sufer certainly looks like a interpretation of John Buscema renditions of him-quite stylized.

AoA Wolverine and Sabretooth

a few of the Hulks from the Hulk Classic line, some of the other characters in the SMC line......

I guess if people have been living with some of these, this new stuff isn't much of a deviation.

I disagree, I could cartoonize all the figures listed above and make them look more like what hasbro is doing. And the artist specific figures from spidey classics don't count, we're talking ML here. I agree with FA Thing but he was the worst peg warmer of all so that doesn't really help your argument.

Um- none of those differences have anything to do with the sculpt. The sculpts are all EXACTLY the same from proto to final. The changes are 100% paint and plastic related.

I am happy that another person sees it that way since I agree. However, Quick Silver seems to be the only one who has a different head since his head seem longated in the newer pics though that might have happening during the factory stage since the both seems to be similar and not a completely different sculpt. As for Jean, djblizzard and I were discussing how it is the paint that alters the look of the figure and cam up with this comparsion sheet:

jeangrey.jpg

Comparsion sheet made by Djblizzard while we both put our input on the changes from the proto to the production images.

I disagree, I could cartoonize all the figures listed above and make them look more like what hasbro is doing. And the artist specific figures from spidey classics don't count, we're talking ML here. I agree with FA Thing but he was the worst peg warmer of all so that doesn't really help your argument.

If that is the case, Captain America fa doesn't count either since it is artist specific.

Hell, look at FA Thing. Even though Jack Kirby's Thing looks funky, it doesn't resemble to that piece of garbage we got in ml.

I agree that some alterations existed on the TB FA figures, but I think that the Kirby Thing was, if not dead on, pretty close.

I agree that some alterations existed on the TB FA figures, but I think that the Kirby Thing was, if not dead on, pretty close.

The funny thing is that aside from Quicksilver, all of those sculpts really are EXACTLY the same. Not to say Hasbro didn't tweak the toybiz sculpts, but it's in other aspects you probably won't notice. And it's not exactly like Toybiz has never changed a headsculpt for the worse. They've done that quite abit actually.

I initially thought that they resculpted She Hulks face as well but looking at the final product in hand, it really is EXACTLY the same pretty sculpt as the one shown last year. Just with poor paint apps, and the hair is about 5% bigger than in the proto. The paint (or lack of) is the only remarkably distinguishing factor from the protos to the final Hasbro product . But then again the protos were probably painted by Ed Wires, and comparing the final product to what he does is pointless even when toybiz had marvel legends.

I don't know the details about Jean or her final face, but it looks like she suffered from the same molding mistake as Emma, where the face collapsed on itself in the process due to the peghole toybiz uses, and hasbro wasn't used to it. Yea it's ugly. I'm sure they're not happy with it either. Its what happens when you rush a product to get it out as soon as possible.

I just think its silly to compare a hand painted test shot to a factory run final product.

Hasbro doesn't read the message boards, if you don't like them making post after post complaining isn't going to do anything. Not buying them will.

But the sad thing is most people who complain buy them anyway because they see them and want to be first to have them anyway ... because the reality is, the people who no longer buy the line because of quality/whatever have moved on. It's the "guy who calls the radio show to tell them he hates them" syndrome.

Ya I must admit, I'm rather disappointed with the X3 Jean, and although it looked great to begin with, movie figures never end up looking that great anyway (ML6 Punisher anyone?) Personally, I'm enjoying this cartoony look. I think the FA Storm would look absolutely perfect like that.

What are you talking about?? Now I know you're just letting the fanboy speak!! The Thomas Jane Punisher was pretty damn good. In fact Toy Biz did a damn good job with their movie figures, save one, Daredevil!! Blade was fantastic!!! The 2nd Series X-Men were scary how close they looked to the actors!!

Now don't get me wrong, I actually love the new Quicksilver head, the first one was actually more cartoony than the Hasbro version. In fact, just the paint is whats changed on most figures. But you have got to admit, that Jean Grey sucks, it sucks more than anything that has sucked before!! I mean come on, before it looked exactly like Famke, and now it doesn't, not at all!!

I'll reserve judgement on each figure on its own!! But I will say this, since the Build A Figure idea started, I have not missed any BAF, until Hasbro's line!! I just can't get past the crappiness that is Banshee, Iron Man, and Emma.

If that is the case, Captain America fa doesn't count either since it is artist specific.

That's the thing though, captain america does count because he sucks and he IS in marvel legends. They've done other jack kirby influenced work before like hulk and he rules. Even first appearance thing is better, but he too was a bit cartoony and became a peg warmer. That cap really sucks though, cartoony or not. Even FA thing is better than that.

Proof that all of this is FUTILE!

So I went digging in the crates, to locate an announcement of a Toybiz series and I found the gap between ML13-14...the same people complaining now are the same people that coplained then but it was totally about Toybiz stuff?! Continuity is key (seeing that some of us are comic fans!)

So what I want to know is; Now that those who are displeased have voiced their complaints (ad nauseum!) Where do we go from here? The link above will lead you to the thread in question so go through, and see how everyone's arguments have changed...but remained the same!

Uh not sure what you're trying to prove with that one. I read through 2 pages and it was pretty much everyone just questioning some of the characters in the line ups, like movie figures, for both toybiz and hasbro. Not much complaining aside from those wishing there weren't so many iron man/ultimate/movie figures, but that happened way before when toybiz had it (with movie daredevil) all the way to now. Even some of the strongest hasbro supporters don't care for movie/ultimate figures.

And really, it's just as annoying to hear people complain about figures as it is for people to pour over them like they're god's gifts to the world. It's always best for a healthy balance. If you don't want to hear arguing then what's the point of message boards? Find one thread where everyone agrees, I dares ya.

I just wonder if Marvel Legends will ever again have any figures that make you say WOW (in a good way). I mean so far Hasbro's Marvel Legends line (both retail and protos) have been at best ok, with quite a few being less than impressive. I remember the first time I saw Destroyer I was like WOW, I have to get that figure....I didn't know anything about the character....hell I actually thought he was a new very of War Machine ('til I looked up the character on Marvel.com).

With Hasbro's current paint technique, a lot of the best Marvel Legends figures would have ended up far less impressive. I haven't written Hasbro off, but so far I really haven't felt the need to buy a complete set of any of their waves, though that could change once wave 2 and 3 hit retail, but truth be told I don't see that happening. Part of it really comes down to the fact that I have most of the characters that are important to me (mainly the xmen), so for me to buy more figure they really have to look really good, not just ok.

I can't say for sure if its the sculpts that have been changed or simply the way the figures are painted, but a lot of the figures really do have a cartoony look to them, I think it mainly has to do with the eyes, some of the figures now seem to be lacking eye lids (well not lacking, but they're less prominent)....they have other little problems as well, but thats the main one for me.

Proof that all of this is FUTILE!

So I went digging in the crates, to locate an announcement of a Toybiz series and I found the gap between ML13-14...the same people complaining now are the same people that coplained then but it was totally about Toybiz stuff?! Continuity is key (seeing that some of us are comic fans!)

So what I want to know is; Now that those who are displeased have voiced their complaints (ad nauseum!) Where do we go from here? The link above will lead you to the thread in question so go through, and see how everyone's arguments have changed...but remained the same!

Thanks for the recap there, but that was pretty much worthless...the "evidence" you dug up was nothing but people complaining about too many Iron Man and Wolverines and what osbcure figures they would like to see made. Didn't see anybody speaking about cartoony sculpts or anything else that is being complained about now. Keep digging though, I'm sure you'll find it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's the thing though, captain america does count because he sucks and he IS in marvel legends. They've done other jack kirby influenced work before like hulk and he rules. Even first appearance thing is better, but he too was a bit cartoony and became a peg warmer. That cap really sucks though, cartoony or not. Even FA thing is better than that.

For what it's worth, wasn't the FA Thing actually based on an Art Adams drawing, not Kirby? (nitpick, maybe? but...) Personally, I don't see a 'grin' on the FA Cap, looks more like a Kirby 'grittting teeth' to me. I just think that fig just needs some definition in the ab's. For me, artist specific and FA figs kind of go hand in hand in certain cases.