The cartoonization of Hasbro ML

CLAM

so.. some folks don't really agree that Hasbrois making their Marvel Legends with cartoon heads and details... but the SDCC protos of wave 2 show the differences in these figures. And no, its not just that "the finished products never look like the prototypes," Hasbro has made sculpting changes to the heads and paint application changes to the bodies.

Quicksilver Proto

IMG_2233.jpg

Quicksilver with new, Superhero Squad head!

009.jpg

X3 Phoenix Proto, not really good, but look at the Famke face-sculpt

IMG_2225.jpg

uh-oh... Phoenix short-bus variant!

015.jpg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A great rendition of She-Hulk, Proto

IMG_2244.jpg

A decent rendition, a bit cartoony

042.jpg

X3 Juggs Proto.... not a figure I like personally, but I can't complain about him

IMG_2236.jpg

new X3 Juggs... with super smooth body action!

016.jpg

Yellow Jacket Proto

IMG_2240.jpg

New Yellow Jacket, not terrible, but needs paint help

0300.jpg

Ultimate Wolverine Proto, pretty crappy I thin

IMG_2227.jpg

new Ultimate Wolverine, somehow even crappier... needs paint

004.jpg

A BADASS Thor proto

IMG_2230.jpg

A sad King Thor

074.jpg

so... I guess some people think that I am just anti Hasbro.. whatever.. you can keep denying what they are doing o the line, but the proof is right in front of your faces. Toybiz never had such changes to their figures.

And while you may still like the new Hasbro wave 2 figures... can you really tell me that the SDCC versions are not much, much, better?

No, you ARE just anti-Hasbro.

So there's changes--big deal. Considering most of the characters originate from CARTOON characters anyway, a cartoony look is appropriate. I LIKE the looks of these figures.

You are citing differences between the prototypes and what look to be the production figures--and the two are made with different materials which can affect the look.

The prototypes are made of resin casts, and the finish on those is rouger-hewn, lending a matte appearance even if th same paint is used on the production pieces. The plastic on the production samples tends to be denser, hence smoother, and that changes the look.

There's a difference in the sheen of plastic, compare to the entirely painted protos......and when to add washes to the protos...drybrushing........yep, there's going to be differences.

Drybrushing is something that, if not doen just right--it looks like complete #$@#--and that;s something that's a consideration somewhere on the road between when a proto is hand-painted and when the toy is on the assmebly line.

As for changes to the sculpts.........none of the pics you have there show any detrimental differences, and I have just as disriminating an eye as anyone. The criticisms are purely subjective. Several of the differences are just between a glossy paint and a matte paint finish.

Painting issues can be easily fixed at home, and quite a few of my own Toybiz ML figures have been tweaked in the paint department.

Let's face it, Clam, you ARE off-base.

Not liking something is your right, but saying that the rest of us shouldn't like it for YOUR reasons is flat out wrong.

I agree 100% with you Clam. It does not look like a collector line anymore. The sculpts and paint have been "dumbed" down. Also the they have lost a lot of detail in the musculature which makes the figures look more "preschool" (for lack of a better word).

I don't know. I had picked up every BAF since Galactus. However not Annihilaus, not Blob, and certainly not Brood Queen. I just can't buy all these figures I don't like. I will pick up a couple. I seriously don't see Legends lasting past wave 4 with Hasbro (but we'll see). To each his own though.

No, you ARE just anti-Hasbro.

So there's changes--big deal. Considering most of the characters originate from CARTOON characters anyway, a cartoony look is appropriate. I LIKE the looks of these figures.

You are citing differences between the prototypes and what look to be the production figures--and the two are made with different materials which can affect the look.

The prototypes are made of resin casts, and the finish on those is rouger-hewn, lending a matte appearance even if th same paint is used on the production pieces. The plastic on the production samples tends to be denser, hence smoother, and that changes the look.

There's a difference in the sheen of plastic, compare to the entirely painted protos......and when to add washes to the protos...drybrushing........yep, there's going to be differences.

Drybrushing is something that, if not doen just right--it looks like complete #$@#--and that;s something that's a consideration somewhere on the road between when a proto is hand-painted and when the toy is on the assmebly line.

As for changes to the sculpts.........none of the pics you have there show any detrimental differences, and I have just as disriminating an eye as anyone. The criticisms are purely subjective. Several of the differences are just between a glossy paint and a matte paint finish.

Painting issues can be easily fixed at home, and quite a few of my own Toybiz ML figures have been tweaked in the paint department.

Let's face it, Clam, you ARE off-base.

Not liking something is your right, but saying that the rest of us shouldn't like it for YOUR reasons is flat out wrong.

seriously? You don't see the differences in the sculpts as detrimental? So that new Phoenix is just as good as the proto sculpt? Honestly?

@lol@

and, like I said.. the differences are not just because the SDCC ones are protos and the ohers are production.

Go look at the old Toybiz prototypes... the differences between them and the final production pieces were never like this.

hasbro has made conscious decisions to change these figures... not just "oh, the protos are different because they are hand painted."

I am talking different paint schemes entirely, less detail, NO washes, and of course... entirely different or retooled sculpts.

and if I am anit-Hasbro, then why was I singing "PRAISE HASBRO" when they showed these SDCC protos? Oh right... because I hate Hasbro @rolleye@

I agree 100% with you Clam. It does not look like a collector line anymore. The sculpts and paint have been "dumbed" down. Also the they have lost a lot of detail in the musculature which makes the figures look more "preschool" (for lack of a better word).

I don't know. I had picked up every BAF since Galactus. However not Annihilaus, not Blob, and certainly not Brood Queen. I just can't buy all these figures I don't like. I will pick up a couple. I seriously don't see Legends lasting past wave 4 with Hasbro (but we'll see). To each his own though.

agreed... I can't have Annihilus because I can't possibly see myself buying all those ugly figures... they will probably go on clearance, but all that will be left will be Banshee and Beast. I think I might be quicksilver, so I can't have Blob... and I might grab Black Knight, so I won't get Brood Queen, (I don't even want her though).

However, I disagree with you about the line's longevity. It will last, and it will do fine.. there are plenty of people with less discernable taste in the world. And Hasbro is a strong company that knows how to get profits. They will continue making these figures for a long time, even if the figures suffer as a result.

agreed... I can't have Annihilus because I can't possibly see myself buying all those ugly figures... they will probably go on clearance, but all that will be left will be Banshee and Beast. I think I might be quicksilver, so I can't have Blob... and I might grab Black Knight, so I won't get Brood Queen, (I don't even want her though).

However, I disagree with you about the line's longevity. It will last, and it will do fine.. there are plenty of people with less discernable taste in the world. And Hasbro is a strong company that knows how to get profits. They will continue making these figures for a long time, even if the figures suffer as a result.

Oh Snap! Somebody call the Waaambulance... Remember when Hasbro bought out Kenner? See how long ago that was? Take a look around and grade the starwars figures they produced right around the time the license was drooped into their possesion...I'll wait, go look! None of those figures withstood the test of time cuz, it was a learning process!!! Now look at all these online toy pirates and the careers they've made off of Hasbro's Star Wars profits...Get Out now if you're unpleased, but please stop crying about it!

Oh Snap! Somebody call the Waaambulance... Remember when Hasbro bought out Kenner? See how long ago that was? Take a look around and grade the starwars figures they produced right around the time the license was drooped into their possesion...I'll wait, go look! None of those figures withstood the test of time cuz, it was a learning process!!! Now look at all these online toy pirates and the careers they've made off of Hasbro's Star Wars profits...Get Out now if you're unpleased, but please stop crying about it!

well, see... the thing is... this is a message board.. Not the Hasbro support website.

as for the Starwars crap... they didn't continue a line, they started a new one. Star Wars figures had been dead, they were not being produced. Hasbro was starting from scratch and actually produced figures that were suomewhat of an improvement over the original StarWars figures.

In this case, Hasbro has 16 waves of Marvel Legends figures, HUNDREDS of models, to build from; AND the design team of said toyline at their disposal.

Jesse Falcon, the Toybiz Marvel Legend head, and now a consultant for Hasbro, claimed at SDCC that wave 1 was rushed and that the figures would imrpove. Wave 2 was proof of that statement.

Why are the figures NOT being produced like the protos? I have no clue. It sure as hell is not because Hasbro can not do it. Hasbro has all the tools and resources to be the best toymaker out there, they used to be with GiJoe. But for some reason, they choose not to.

and I don't think its because they have to get through some learning curve before they make good Marvel Legends. Fact is, they can NOW. When and if they do decide to improve their product, it won't be because they suddenly figured out how to make better toys.

I'm really diasppointed in the Hasbro line. The prototypes looked really cool, but now... Preschool is a perfect word to describe them. I hate them. The only one I'm gonna buy is Lord Thor. And only to repaint it the way the prototype lokked like. @grumpy@

Ha! all of those who went out and grabbed multiples of a single character just because of slight variations in the packaging are really gonna cry about it...because as a customizer, I can pop em out and mod the BEJEBUS! out of one. Example?

Workbench.jpg

She's the one all the way to the left...

post-152-1170175884.jpg

Power Blast Invs. Wmn head...Emma's Bod! As soon as I got her out of her packaging I took a blowdryer to her substandard head!

I'm not all about love for Hasbro... I'm a man who's into toys...I'll Cowboy Up for some reason or another, this may just be it!

I'm in it for the Marvel characters and that's why I'm still going to buy them. If my love for these characters weren't so strong, then paint applications and cartoon-ized style would matter, but I want to see these characters made into figure form and I'm being patient.

Sadly Hasbro stated that they will not be applying paints to the figures, instead they will be letting the color of the plastic do justice. So instead of gold paint applications, we'll be seeing gold plastic. Hasbro also made me sad with their addition of X3 figures, but I learned to live with it. Decent movie, but I just have no idea what I'm going to do with the figures because I don't intend to collect movie figures, unless their costumes are actually comic-based.

Prototypes will never be good as the final product, although we all wish they could be. Most of the Hasbro ones are pretty close to looking like their prototypes, except the glossy plastic takes away the realism. Jean no longer looks like Famke and Quicksilver looks like a Superhero Squad figure in 6 inch form, but I imagine it isn't easy making a comic book character into human likeness.

But anyway, my point is that it is just going to be this way for now. It's actually a good thing that we're voicing our opinions because maybe Hasbro will listen. I want to see this line continue because I want certain characters to be released eventually, and I do think this line will continue. If this line doesn't continue, Hasbro might relaunch it with a different scale, and that wouldn't be good.

Unless the figures start looking butt ugly, and aren't recognizable as the comic book characters I like, then I will continue buying the characters I want and obtaining the BAF's anyway I can. Nothing can stop me from getting a figure I really want (well, maybe a scalper's price) because I really want it. And if it's a figure I don't care for, I guess Hasbro will be smiling from the extra money they make off of me that I really shouldn't have to spend. I'll just deal with the figures I don't need another way. Hasbro's figures are far from that kind of ugly. I do wish they were as great as Toy Biz's figures, but the license is sold!

It's about the characters to me, and even though I've complained in order to be heard, I haven't quit buying the ones I like because they are still essentially the figure, pulled from the pages of a comic book and brought to "life" in such a form.

What really hooked me on Marvel Legends and SMC to begin with was all of the articulation, combined with the highly detailed sculpts. I had never collected superhero action figures before, but they were such a huge step up, in terms of poseability and overall awesomeness, from any other toyline I had ever collected that I couldn't pass them up.

Now, Hasbro seems to be taking a huge step backwards with this line, removing articulation, and dumbing down detail. The only two figures from Wave 1 that I bought (Emma and Banshee) looked so out of place next to my other X-Men figures, that I don't even have them displayed now. I really don't understand how anyone can say that these are on par with what we have received in the past.

I'll be buying Quicksilver, Yellowjacket and She-Hulk when wave 2 comes out...but if they stand out against all of the other Avengers, they'll end up in a Sterelite drawer somewhere too, and I'll likely be done with ML until Hasbro starts doing something different...and I know it won't be until at least after wave 3 that it will happen. :(

I've always gone by what looks cool. There's not any way in Hell I'll buy something if I don't like the look of it. HML2 was going to be a bumper wave for me because I wanted 3 of the figures, but now I'm not 100% sure. I campaigned to get an X3 Juggernaut and the proto rocked, but then newer pics released showed it sucking and yet these newest ones show major improvements to it so there's a very real chance I'll fork out for it. Quicksilver is one I'll have to see in person before deciding... And Thor? They're too chicken to show him loose because of all the figures in the wave, poor paint apps would be most noticeable on him because of the detailing on his torso.

I just hope seeing these figures on shelves will change my mind and reinvigorate my collecting desire. Yeah, I'll get Juggs for sure... probably Thor even if I have to mod him... but wave 4 holds nothing for me, really... I got my fingers crossed for improvements, and they've proved they can do it with the Juggernaut mods.

I'm in it for the Marvel characters and that's why I'm still going to buy them. If my love for these characters weren't so strong, then paint applications and cartoon-ized style would matter, but I want to see these characters made into figure form and I'm being patient.

...It's about the characters to me, and even though I've complained in order to be heard, I haven't quit buying the ones I like because they are still essentially the figure, pulled from the pages of a comic book and brought to "life" in such a form.

I couldn't agree with you more! I got totally hosed in the 90's with the Animated figs, seeing that they changed the rules in the middle of the game and all that other stuff (dropping POA, shifting scales, silly action features...etc.) With roughly over 5000 characters in the Marvel Universe...we've barely scratched the surface!

Seriously Clam, where do you get off making a thread like this. As a mod, you should be the one yelling at people for saying that just because someone's taste isn't the same as everyone else's, doesn't mean they have "less discernable taste", not saying it yourself.

As stated many times before, this is a board is a place of opinions. Not a place where you can shove your opinion down everyone else's throat and be condescending to those whose opinion differ than yours.

...It's about the characters to me, and even though I've complained in order to be heard, I haven't quit buying the ones I like because they are still essentially the figure, pulled from the pages of a comic book and brought to "life" in such a form.

I couldn't agree with you more! I got totally hosed in the 90's with the Animated figs, seeing that they changed the rules in the middle of the game and all that other stuff (dropping POA, shifting scales, silly action features...etc.) With roughly over 5000 characters in the Marvel Universe...we've barely scratched the surface!

Same. #US1#

Seriously Clam, where do you get off making a thread like this. As a mod, you should be the one yelling at people for saying that just because someone's taste isn't the same as everyone else's, doesn't mean they have "less discernable taste", not saying it yourself.

As stated many times before, this is a board is a place of opinions. Not a place where you can shove your opinion down everyone else's throat and be condescending to those whose opinion differ than yours.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Because it IS a board of discussion and differing opinions why shouldn't there be a thread like this? He even gave pictures to back up HIS point of view. I don't see a problem with this at all.

It is not being a cry baby just to be unhappy with something. Especially when your case is nicely stated. That is what these boards are for I thought. To discuss the toys...being happy with them or not.

bro... "discernable" simply meant selective. It has already been proven by several members here that they will buy whatever figures because they like the characters.. or because it is the best out there. thats what I meant.. maybe I should have said "discriminating"

i am with you brother, screw this cartoony sh*t. hasbro can shove this pos where the sun don't shine. thank goodness that i am not the onyl one who saw the butchering of a once great line. the blob prototype was fantastic then they show that garbage. more for the rest of you guys. i will stick to dcsh.

bro... "discernable" simply meant selective. It has already been proven by several members here that they will buy whatever figures because they like the characters.. or because it is the best out there. thats what I meant.. maybe I should have said "discriminating"

Be that as it may, you've posted many times before that these figures are crap to you. We all get that. We don't need proof. Although I must admit, you put a lot of effort into it, all it seems like you're doing is trying to make the people that like it foolish. A lot of people actually collect for the character, not the quality.

On a side note, even if i didn't like the new MLs, I'd have no right to complain about quality since I collect everything X-Men, and I've made some purchases on some things that are pretty ugly, but I like them because they're X-Men.

(And sorry about the attitude earlier, I had literally rolled out of bed and sat at my computer, so my head wasn't really in the clear.)

You're comparing convention "Two-ups" to actual prototypes and making a sweeping conclusion.

Sorry, but TOY-BIZ's two-ups always looked better than the actual figures. ALWAYS.

Other than the fact that the Yellowjacket who debuted at last year's SDCC is metallic gold, I see no real differnece in the scuplt. Ditto for Quicksilver and Thor. Yes, the paint-apps are better, but again...they're "two-ups", intended to excite retailers and end-customers.

Frankly, after all the QC probs I had with TOY-BIZ in '05-'06, the HASBRO Legends Wave 1 was a breath of fresh air. They're simply better made. And I'm not an articulation perfectionist, so I'm not bothered by the hands, etc.

This year, I'm getting Quicksilver,Yellowjacket, Black Knight, Black Bolt, 1940's Captain America, Bucky, Moleman, and lot's of other figs I've been wanting for years. So I'm happy.