DETOLF display shelves

Metatron1050

I'm selling and consolidating my entire collection of action figures.

eBay seller name: Metatron1050 if you're interested.

Donations are welcome too! I accept Paypal under Metatron1050@sbcglobal.net

Why?

I'm re-arranging my room again.

Tossing out or putting my big ol dresser into my parent's room.

I want most of my figures to be on display, and not in 8 cargo boxes in the garage and throughout the house. That means I will open everything. The value is for me to treasure, not priceguides or on eBay final sales.

Spring break my room goes into a new transformation with the help (hopefully) of some friends.

aaand. and hopefully 2 of these DETOLF shelves from Ikea:

20306_PE079916_S4.jpg

$60 each. Ideally for my urban vinyls and anything i have signed.

I want it a bit more roomier in my room come my house parties.

A gallery of my collection, if you will.

do you guys know if these shelves are reliable and if you guys got your own display pics w/ these shelves posted up that would help too thanks!

I'm selling and consolidating my entire collection of action figures.

eBay seller name: Metatron1050 if you're interested.

Donations are welcome too! I accept Paypal under Metatron1050@sbcglobal.net

Why?

I'm re-arranging my room again.

Tossing out or putting my big ol dresser into my parent's room.

I want most of my figures to be on display, and not in 8 cargo boxes in the garage and throughout the house. That means I will open everything. The value is for me to treasure, not priceguides or on eBay final sales.

Spring break my room goes into a new transformation with the help (hopefully) of some friends.

aaand. and hopefully 2 of these DETOLF shelves from Ikea:

20306_PE079916_S4.jpg

$60 each. Ideally for my urban vinyls and anything i have signed.

I want it a bit more roomier in my room come my house parties.

A gallery of my collection, if you will.

do you guys know if these shelves are reliable and if you guys got your own display pics w/ these shelves posted up that would help too thanks!

i have two of these exact selves with the optional lights... and i LOVE EM!! go get them you wont be sorry

go with the billy bookcases dude you can get more space and theyhave nice glass doors as well. Only thing is they are not cheap but they aer well worth it. I've recently picked up two, brought one to teset out then brought another once I saved up the cash.

Allso you should consider posting a ebay item number of something you have forsale, I use ebay a bit & I'm clueless how to look up stuff for sale by someones ebay name :S but with a item number you just paste it into the ebay search and it pops up & you can view the persons other stuff from there

I'll have pic of of the bookcases for ya, I have to say they are great for both misb and open figures, and have saved quite a few of my open ML from certain death from falling to the floor because of the new doors... I say new because the doors have only been around for a year or two now

BC.jpg

Looks like I gimped it up adjusting the size :D but you get a general idea of how tall they are, most likely taler than you! If not you're one tall MOFO!

These are not cheap how ever are well worth every penny! You can get cheaper ones in different colors like grey or white but personaly I think the birch color works best in over all general looks and displaying items... the doors them selfs are about $70 for one ... and the book case in the $100 range though keep in mind these are @can@ prices... check out you're ikea! :)

I think those display cases (detolf) are pretty standard for us collectors. I've seen them in lots of pics of peoples collections, and my LCS has two of them on their sales floor for displaying. They're not fancy, but look great to hightlight your stuff. Make sure to buy the overhead light that fits it, but sold separately.

Been wanting one myself, but cant find the room for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be carefull with the statues and these things, check the ikea site they say "how much" they can hold but I dout they did a lot of testing to really figure it out, specialy over a large amount of passing time :P Of corse you can buy the display and then buy and make you're own stronger wooden shelf :P

I'd be carefull with the statues and these things, check the ikea site they say "how much" they can hold but I dout they did a lot of testing to really figure it out, specialy over a large amount of passing time :P Of corse you can buy the display and then buy and make you're own stronger wooden shelf :P

Yeah, I was thinking that, too. I've been lurking on some statue message boards and that seems to be what everyone uses. I've seen collection pics and some people LOAD UP those shelves, lol. But I'm sure they're safe for one or two full-size statues and up to 5 mini-busts. I probably won't even put that much on any one single shelf. We'll see if I'm right, lol...

you saw the pic I had up of my two ikea billy bookcases with glass doors right?.. I still stand by those they are nice and display lots!!! Though are far more expensive than these lil glass ones at the same time too

I was planning on getting a couple this weekend for my growing statue and bust collection. Are the add-on lights difficult to install?

They either have a sticky backing or a couple of very small screw to attach them. The adhesive is probably like the stuff on those sticky ccoat hooks you can get--the ones that when you pull them off they rip off half the wallpaper.

The screws are likely very small ones with just enough thread-grab to hold the light fixture in place--usually because the wood parts for the shelves are seldom more than 3/4" to 1 inch thick--usually less.

Ikea's stuff tends to be cheap in that respect, but the stuff is affordable, and taken care of, lasts a good amount of time.

I was planning on getting a couple this weekend for my growing statue and bust collection. Are the add-on lights difficult to install?

They either have a sticky backing or a couple of very small screw to attach them. The adhesive is probably like the stuff on those sticky ccoat hooks you can get--the ones that when you pull them off they rip off half the wallpaper.

The screws are likely very small ones with just enough thread-grab to hold the light fixture in place--usually because the wood parts for the shelves are seldom more than 3/4" to 1 inch thick--usually less.

Ikea's stuff tends to be cheap in that respect, but the stuff is affordable, and taken care of, lasts a good amount of time.

I got my first detolf a couple months ago and it holds up two Premium Formats, which are both around 20" in height, and approx. 10-15 lbs in weight. Looks gorgeous for such a cheap piece of furniture. I still say if you got the blingity bling bling, go with a Buhler cabinet. Sure it will cost you around a grand, but the integrity of the furniture holds up much better, more attractive piece overall, and uses real actual quality wood.

Picked one up this weekend. I must say, for the money these things are better than advertised. Tough to put together alone, though (need someone to hold the glass at times). The lights couldn't be easier to install (small screws) and make all the difference.

I got my first detolf a couple months ago and it holds up two Premium Formats, which are both around 20" in height, and approx. 10-15 lbs in weight.

Which two PF's do you have?

Also, if you guys are looking to talk statues and busts, head over to the newly created forum:

http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showforum=108

I begged JayC to create one and there's only a couple of us over there talking right now. I don't think many people have even noticed it. #US1#

• 2 months later...

I agree, you simply can't beat the price. I've got a few of these glass display cases to date. I really love the way they look. Not easy getting home from the store but well worth the effort. I display most of my rare Knockoffs and Monster cards in them. They have a way of enhancing just about any item that you chose to put in them.

DetolfcompleteAHI.jpg

• 2 months later...