JLA...The Movie???

Last Son of Krypton

WB Eyeing Justice League Movie

Source: Variety February 23, 2007

Warner Bros. Pictures is looking to make a feature based on super team the Justice League of America, hiring writing duo Kiernan and Michele Mulroney to write the script, reports Variety. It's the first major action the studio has taken on the project.

The feature film is bound to include some combination of DC's most iconic superheroes, although the studio wouldn't confirm which ones they might be. It's unlikely that the studio and DC Comics, a division of Warner, would opt to feature second-tier characters.

Since its inception in 1960, JLA has featured almost every major hero in the DC Comics universe, although the core team has largely remained the same: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter.

The heroes typically band together to fight alien menaces or groups of supervillains.

"The Justice League of America has been a perennial favorite for generations of fans, and we believe their appeal to film audiences will be as strong and diverse as the characters themselves," Warner president of production Jeff Robinov said in announcing the hiring of the Mulroneys.

The trade says that in taking on the ambitious project, Warner faces several conundrums.

Now that the Batman and Superman film franchises have been revived, does the studio go after Christian Bale (Batman Begins) and Brandon Routh (Superman Returns) to star in a Justice League pic? The studio is also trying hard to bring Wonder Woman to the big screen.

To a large degree, casting will depend upon the story arc for the JLA feature and at what point in the superheroes' lives the plot takes place.

Count me in! Doubt will ever see this come to fruition, but we can hope can't we?

That would be so AWESOME if they made that! I would have to go to the midnight showing with everyone I know....

I hope it does go through, and I hope Aquaman is in it.

Saw this earlier today on SHH and almost $hit myself. Would be so awesome. But I seriously doubt it would happen and I would be even more shocked if they could get Bale and Routh to do it.

But we can dream can't we? At least there's Sandy Collora's great fan trailer with Supes and Bats. If you haven't seen this before check it out HERE.

Hard to believe? Really? I thought this was writing on the wall.

All of the sudden we have a flurry of D.C. Superhero movies coming out within years (and months?) of each other.

I figured this whole thing was getting setup for a Justice League movie.

Id love to see those films, but all i can find are the trailers...anyone have copies of the full film?

Sorry to disappoint you HRB, but they're just fan made trailers, not full films. They've made a few of these, "World's Finest" and "Grayson" are my favorites. Wish these were films, as the trailers would lead you to believe they're great stories, but alas, they're just trailers.

Hard to believe? Really? I thought this was writing on the wall.

All of the sudden we have a flurry of D.C. Superhero movies coming out within years (and months?) of each other.

I figured this whole thing was getting setup for a Justice League movie.

New Batman and Superman movies and a stalled Wonder Woman movie that may come out eventually (who knows) constitues a "flurry?" As much as I'd love to see it, I didn't think it was a guranteed thing just because they made a couple movies. I'd expect an Avengers movies from Marvel before a JLA movie, honestly.

New Batman and Superman movies and a stalled Wonder Woman movie that may come out eventually (who knows) constitues a "flurry?"

Yeah, if anything Marvel gets the "flurry" award. While not everything has been as good as the Spiderman films, they at least seem to be cranking out characters and getting the attention of people outside of comics fans.

Honestly though, as bad as I'd love to see a JLA film, I just don't think its gonna be possible, at least for some time. Outside of us comic fans, nobody has any idea of what the JLA is or even who is in it. In order for a film like this to be done, and done WELL mind you, the origins stories for the characters will already have to be done in film form so that the writers can actually put a good story together and not be trying to tell a whole mishmash of stories in one, unless of course they plan on doing multiple films, then it might work.

Still, Bats and Supes have been it so far, with WW, Flash, and GL films all stuck in the mud, and theres no plans for an Aquaman film or Martian Manhunter. There is just an infinite number of problems to go along with this, and while its a great idea, I just don't see it happening, at least not in the next 10 years or so.

Stalled or not, the volume of DC Superhero movies that are in the works or were released recently (Batman, Superman) constitute a flurry.

Outside of us comic fans, nobody has any idea of what the JLA is or even who is in it.

I disagree. I like to think that there are more people out there besides rabid comic geeks that know what the JLA is,thanks to a little cartoon series called Justice League. Not to mention the attention the League got on Smallville.

Interesting. So Marvel had 1 movie out last year, 3 this year and 2 next year. Plus another 6 or so in the works. Does that constitute an "avalanche" then? @loll@

It constitutes a really big "I could care less."

I think you missed my point.

Well, it's a bit hard to believe. And would be awesome if they can get Brandon Routh and Chris Bale to reprise their respective famous roles.

Now, I'm hoping for Lena Headey to get the Wonder Woman role (some sources around the net say Eva Green is the most serious runner-up for the upcoming motion picture) and Ryan Reynolds could be pretty cool as The Flash. There's only a big problem: the amount of money needed to pay a great ensemble cast with big names in the list would be a lot more than the budget for SFX. That's a matter of undeniably fact.

I agree with Hamsterboy on this one...The Cartoon got ALOT of attention, and the episode of Smallville was one of the best. I wouldnt think it would be hard to make a story that could draw everyone in. look at your "possible" roster

1. Superman- duh!

2. Batman- duh again!

3. Wonder Woman- even though there hasnt been any new WW stuff besides JL and JLU Cartoon, people know who she is!

4. The Flash- again people know who he is

5. Green Lantern- here is where you get tricky, do you use Hal, Kyle, or John. Hal is well known in the comics along with Kyle, but it was John who had the spotlight in the cartoon.

6. Martian Manhunter- he is getting some light on Smallville, that might bring people to say hmm intersting.

7. Hawkgirl or Hawkman- what do you do there...i really have no comment on them

Story- id like them to do a real life adaptation of the very 1st JL Cartoon arc, it was sort of an origin story on how they got together, it stumbled on how Bats and Supes have worked together in the past.

if it works out then you got possible sequels- Justice Lords arc, Starcrossed arc, etc

Thats just my opinion...now let the HRB Bashing begin! LOL

Interesting. So Marvel had 1 movie out last year, 3 this year and 2 next year. Plus another 6 or so in the works. Does that constitute an "avalanche" then? @loll@

It constitutes a really big "I could care less."

I think you missed my point.

Not at all. Just think your choice of words was an exaggeration. Two movie franchises going and the rest stuck in limbo is anything but a "flurry." But it is obvious that you missed my blatant sarcasm.

So WB hired some people to write a script. Writing it can take a year. Then deciding on whether or not to go with that script. Then if they go with it, casting it. And then filming it. So at best- the earliest that this movie will come out is..what? 2010 ?

I do think that if done right this will be a HUGE movie. Hope those script writers come up with some good stuff.

Well, it's a bit hard to believe. And would be awesome if they can get Brandon Routh and Chris Bale to reprise their respective famous roles.

Now, I'm hoping for Lena Headey to get the Wonder Woman role (some sources around the net say Eva Green is the most serious runner-up for the upcoming motion picture) and Ryan Reynolds could be pretty cool as The Flash. There's only a big problem: the amount of money needed to pay a great ensemble cast with big names in the list would be a lot more than the budget for SFX. That's a matter of undeniably fact.

Um, did you miss X-Men?

Patrick Stewart

Hugh Jackman

Halle Berry

Famke Jansen

Sir Ian McKellan

One HUGE FX budget (bigger in part three I know)

Even if you saw Jackman and Jansen aren't big stars with big budgets, Berry, Stewart and McKellan are serious hitters in HW. Plus, if Reynolds, and Eva Green are Flash and WW then we're not looking at big stars. Routh and Bale would require serious money, and there would be the FX money, but no more expensive than X2 or X3.

Regardless, I don't see this going anywhere anytime soon. Too much to be haggled with and budgeted and written and cast. But I can hope.