Hasbro Marvel Legends Wave 3 Pics at NYCC

Ryno

Terrible would be a great improvement. I'll never understand how people can call going backwards progress.

You have stated everything I have complained about this line since Jan's release:

1. 90's and earlier lousy paintwash. Arent we at the point where if we are forced to pay $10 for a figure, the least Hasbro can do is spend 30 cents per truckload of figures to have a decent paint job?

2. They have that cheap plasticky look. Ive been complaining about that since day one. As one person stated, "They are cheap plastic"; but, they dont have to LOOK like cheap plastic.

3. The articulation is better than what Hasbro had been used to doing; but, they still need to learn how to do it right.

4. Detailing has gone back to the 90's. Hasbro is making DC Direct look extremely detailed, by comparison.

Hasbro is losing my dollar, and fast.

But, thats great for me. I've saved a fortune this year. Or, at the very least have been able to put my $80 from wave 2 towards SideShow items. I'd rather get one nice piece for $80 than 9 pieces of garbage for that.

These look terrible. Hasbro still hasn't figured out how to use a paintwash. The sculpted texture on Cyclops' costume would allow for a great paintwash, however, as he stands, he looks like a pathetic cartoon figure from the 90's line with updated articulation. It is always said how Marvel Legends is a collector's line but if that is the case, why are we getting these crappy, cartoony figures? Even Danger could have been improved with a paintwash.

Every single one of these figures has shiny, cheap-looking plastic and the cuts of articulation on that Rachel Grey figure are pathetic. I'm not even familiar with who she is and unless she is short-packed, based on the visual appeal of that figure, she will be warming the pegs until kingdom come.

It really bothers me what this line has become. I was amazed by Jesse's new line of Legendary Comic Book Heroes. I don't know who half of the characters are in thatg line but just based on visual appeal alone, those blows these Hasbro figures right out of the water. Even Mattel is surpassing Hasbro lately. Has anyone seen all those great new DSCH figures in wave 5/6?

I wonder if we'll even get a wave 4 of the Hasbro Legends. We'll see how Wave 2 & 3 do.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you call going backwards rocking, then, yeah, Hasbro Rocks.

Don't get me wrong; I havent been thrilled with TB ML for quite a while, either. But, at least they were decent. Most of the early figures were large and very stout. Extreme detailing, and sold for a reasonable price. I hated the Iron Man/Wolverine in every series; but, at least the series was articulated and had detail.

If youre comparing Hasbro to the Mojo and Modok waves, I would agree. But, if youre comparing it to the early waves (8 and earlier) then, no, Hasbro's best can't even compare to TB's worst. And, then add in the price. We were getting ML figures for $6, and now we're being asked to pay $10 for less. I can see inflation; I can even see having to pay licensing fees. What i cant see is me paying $88 to complete wave 2, and have a lousy set. Wave 3 and 4 will have to prove themselves worthy as well. So far, I am about as impressed with Hasbro's Marvel figures as I am with a magician who's major trick is to pull a quarter out of a kid's ear. Wow.

*sigh* Here we go again. I guess since these aren't "Toy Biz" quality (Breaking/tearing of plastic, severe paint locking, very loose joints). Everyone is entitled to his opinion, but sheesh. Hasbro is killing the line all right. Killing it with figures that rock! And check out that new elbow! I'm excited, especially for the "unknown" (Took on the Beyonder, played a key role in Days of Future Past) Rachel Grey.

As for DCSH, which great ones? The 3,000 repaints, or the 6 new figures?

4 posts in and you've managed to repeat what everyone else has been saying! Bravo...bravo!!! But, there was one thing in your grumpy old man post that struck me odd. The line about how Hasbro has already improved the articulation? How many waves did it take TB before there was some uniformity? I'm currently working on an article; "Mold time" Rock & Roll, and I can tell you that TB's stuff didn't reach that zenith until series 6 (and that' pushing it!!) Could you imagine where ML would be if back around Series II, there would have been an overzealous mob clamoring for the blood of all those involved? Voice your opinion...don't lobby to get more people into your camp!

How many waves did it take TB before there was some uniformity? I'm currently working on an article; "Mold time" Rock & Roll, and I can tell you that TB's stuff didn't reach that zenith until series 6 (and that' pushing it!!) Could you imagine where ML would be if back around Series II, there would have been an overzealous mob clamoring for the blood of all those involved?

I disagree with this because back then Toybiz was creating the line and was testing things, Hasbro has the all the resources and just isn't using them all and trying to make better and it isn't working.

I just bought the rest of series 2 of HML and i cant help but feel a bit cheated. Yeah i liked half the wave, but the rest just werent what i was expecting. I am giving them a chance, i was not at all impressed with the character selection or figure quality of series 1 yet i really really loved that annihilus. I still have yet to buy wave 1 because i dont want to buy, IMO, 6 Sh***y characters to get him. I like the blob figure and was somewhat worth it to me except for the obvious gripes like 10 bucks for less than what i have come to expect with MLs. No comic, no paint wash, etc.

Yeah TB started slacking after the apoc wave but it wasnt TB's fault. They had to continue a dying line as hasbro was coming into play, they wanted to get out all the characters they had originally planned out to satisfy us, the consumer. As well oil prices were going up and they couldnt afford to keep the quality of figures that we were used to without upping the price significantly. I actually really liked all of TB's lines all the way to the end. Granted, the mojo wave figs were absolute poo, but the overall appeal was still there for me.

I just bought the rest of series 2 of HML and i cant help but feel a bit cheated. Yeah i liked half the wave, but the rest just werent what i was expecting. I am giving them a chance, i was not at all impressed with the character selection or figure quality of series 1 yet i really really loved that annihilus. I still have yet to buy wave 1 because i dont want to buy, IMO, 6 Sh***y characters to get him.

You weren't impressed with HASBRO's figure quality!? Toybiz's figures were notorious for breaking right out of the package. Oh wow so Toybiz used more paint detail, what good is it when you have to look through ten figures just to SETTLE on the one with the least sloppy paint job. Hasbro's paint apps may be less detailed, but they're clean and consistent, and as far as the quality of the toys I don't feel so on edge when posing them because they don't feel like the joints are going to break at any minute. Hasbro's figures will last decades into the future even without the best care, Toybiz's don't even last TODAY with anal retentive caring. Complain all you'd like, but I for one am happy with what they are doing since I actually open my toys and would like them to not break!

Hasbro's figures will last decades into the future even without the best care, Toybiz's don't even last TODAY with anal retentive caring. Complain all you'd like, but I for one am happy with what they are doing since I actually open my toys and would like them to not break!

Finally, someone besides me who knows that there is a period of adjustment to be taken into account!

Chew on this...If you notice most of the stuff we're seeing was done by Jesse and the gang! The Bro has been sliding a few of theirs in there just to bolster the line itself. Now just imagine, that the two waves that TB had completed, minus the ones who were being "reworked" now factor in how easy it is to assemble a Legend?

Only 4 pieces need glue the others need heat. Have the same people who handle assembly, also operate the equipment that apply complex paint apps?

Not to jump on the Hasbro hate machine, but I only bought Iron Man in Wave 1 (I do so love the Ultimates) and unfortunately haven't seen hide nor hair of the Wave 2. I was extremely let down by the horrendous face of Banshee and I waited for YEARS for a Hercules figure and then get one that looks like he tried a spray on tan and it went horribly wrong. So.. much... orange. Although, even when I do (if) I see Wave 2 it'll probably be only Shulkie and Xorn and then I'll have to see.

My biggest issue (aside from odd face sculpts and some bad coloring) is the lineups. But, in that case I didn't collect anything from Onslaught series till the end except for Moon Knight. I wanted a Luke Cage and Baron Zemo, but not those interpretations, but I know thats a personal thing.

As far as wave 3. I don't want another Cyclops or Cap - but I'm sure many do. I have no idea who Danger (?) is and although the Bucky is neat, not a figure I've been scrambling for. And I wish either they'd stop dropping movie (X3) figures in the line all together or at least throw in some from other movies. I know most of the movies did get a separate line, but I still want a movie ML Ghost Rider and Black Suit Spider-Man in the right size. The Hydra figure is awesome and probably aside from Black Knight will be the only one I would remotely consider picking up.

I don't have a particular complaint, and maybe I liked the earlier ToyBiz waves because it was new and fresh and just burned out on the idea in general. But I got my Deadpool, Moon Knight, and Bullseye. And if I can get a modern Taskmaster some day I can color myself content.